Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wow, now I'm curious if the Nationals registration numbers for the Nova Open will fall. :v: Doesn't help that it's on a Thursday anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

People are going crazy with this news. The subreddit thread on this makes it seem like the world is on fire. I had some Ebay auctions up and I took them down. I'm not sure if this is going to seriously harm the game or make prices skyrocket. I'm glad i'm not too heavily invested in case the bottom does fall out.

At least it's some word from FFG on the game. The weeks of quiet were hurting the game and people were selling their collections all over the place. At least people are talking about the game now.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I have six boxes of Rebellion preordered, now I don't know if I want them or not. :(

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

The point about "one print run" and their printing capabilities is spot on, but it seems weird to state it up front as a policy. If I were them I'd be looking to expand that capacity to meet demand. If the single run is bigger, it won't be a disaster in practical terms, but in the context of how supply has been so far, it's of course going to create just this kind of reaction. FFG continues to do weird stuff.

I'd say that the policy was likely to sink the game in the long-term, but Yu-Gi-Oh has the same policy and just rampantly reprints rarity-shifted cards to get around it. I'm not sure why anyone plays Yu-Gi-Oh, but people do, so maybe it's a workable method.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Don't other CCG's do a single print run for expansions?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Policy is to have starter sets and a base set reprinted for a year.

"What about the base set Awakenings?"

"Naah"

I'm ready to start panicking about the long term health of the game if they continue to have sealed product availability issues.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The method kind of works for YuGiOh because they are a legacy game and nothing ever rotates, it just occasionally gets banned or unbannned. They reprint expensive cards pretty regularly and ban stuff just as much.'

Other games do usually do a single print for expansions. It works for them because they print gobs of it. Usually it's enough to last forever, but sometimes it's not enough and prices get super high after awhile.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
This seems like bad news, I am a casual player who wanted crack a few packs with my son and play some star wars dice. The prices on stuff and availability have basically limited us to the starter decks. The second hand market is insane prices to try to build new decks, this is really disappointing

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

This seems like bad news, I am a casual player who wanted crack a few packs with my son and play some star wars dice. The prices on stuff and availability have basically limited us to the starter decks. The second hand market is insane prices to try to build new decks, this is really disappointing

It seems like you're the type of player who's going to be least affected. I play this game mostly with my girlfriend, and I think we'll be just fine buying some boosters with every new wave. We got into the game with the starters + 10 booster packs, and then I spent about $25 on the secondary market to balance our decks and give us options (mostly buying event cards and some upgrades). We have plenty of fun, and we'll have plenty of fun digging it out again every few months when the boosters come out. Granted, if you weren't able to find it when it was more readily available, that sucks for now, but this printing plan doesn't really change that.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea this news doesn't really affect the casual consumer. Apart from Awakenings, you'll be able to get the amount of product you are already planning on buying from each set. This news mostly affects the hardcore player and retailers. If you are wanting to play in tournaments, you will seek out either more product or certain singles. That means your price will probably be higher. This is either really good for collectors, in that your investment will be pretty protected, or really bad because this drives people away from the game and there is no demand.

Edit: And because of that i'm not sure if I should continue selling the extra stuff I had on Ebay or hold onto it. If this doesn't drive so many people away that the game suffers, it'll be worthwhile to hold onto it. On the other side, people are being very doom and gloomy about this and that attitude spreads to others. If you don't have a local community to play you are dramatically less likely to buy stuff as a new player.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2017

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I think there is still too little information for anyone to know what's going to happen and either selling your stuff now or holding onto it for later is a gamble either way. Awakenings could start shipping in June and end up with plenty of product for the rest of the year, or each store could get 3 boxes again. Rebellion could be the same size as Awakenings or it could be triple.

They said a single print run without ever defining what size the print runs will be, so everything is just speculation and nobody knows what is going to happen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Man, this is the opposite of what they should have announced. They should have come out and been clear that they were ramping up production a lot to meet demand. loving hell FFG, do you hate money?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

siggy2021 posted:

I think there is still too little information for anyone to know what's going to happen and either selling your stuff now or holding onto it for later is a gamble either way. Awakenings could start shipping in June and end up with plenty of product for the rest of the year, or each store could get 3 boxes again. Rebellion could be the same size as Awakenings or it could be triple.

They said a single print run without ever defining what size the print runs will be, so everything is just speculation and nobody knows what is going to happen.

I agree. I'm not happy about a single print run for each expansion set, but I'm willing to wait until spirit releases to see what one actual print run even is. Awakenings isn't a good comparison since its the first set and the underwriter on purpose invade the game flopped. I'd say wait, if product dries up a month or 2 after sor then things are going bad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Yea this news doesn't really affect the casual consumer. Apart from Awakenings, you'll be able to get the amount of product you are already planning on buying from each set. This news mostly affects the hardcore player and retailers. If you are wanting to play in tournaments, you will seek out either more product or certain singles. That means your price will probably be higher. This is either really good for collectors, in that your investment will be pretty protected, or really bad because this drives people away from the game and there is no demand.

Edit: And because of that i'm not sure if I should continue selling the extra stuff I had on Ebay or hold onto it. If this doesn't drive so many people away that the game suffers, it'll be worthwhile to hold onto it. On the other side, people are being very doom and gloomy about this and that attitude spreads to others. If you don't have a local community to play you are dramatically less likely to buy stuff as a new player.

If the decision seems like a coin flip, maybe sell them to get more cards in the hands of players for the greater good

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cool, I knew FFG wouldn't do CCGs right. Back to LCG and X-Wing!

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Magic does multiple print runs for all sets now - they commit to product availability while the set is in Standard. (By which I mean, availability to retailers.) But of course, they also don't really have an expansion/base set distinction anymore, just smaller and larger sets.

Not sure about other games, but with the exception of Yu-Gi-Oh it's not generally hard to get product of CCGs for a reasonable length of time.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's hard to get the first set of this stupid game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bowmore posted:

it's hard to get the first set of this stupid game

It's impossible unless you want to spend close to $1000 now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

It's impossible unless you want to spend close to $1000 now.
I've got most to it except for some purples for like $200-$300 at an estimate

missing Han, Luke, Luke's Saber, Commanding Presence, Poe, 1 Force Choke, 1 Phasma

If I want to complete it then I'll need to spend about $400 which just isn't a thing I can justify

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bowmore posted:

I've got most to it except for some purples for like $200-$300 at an estimate

missing Han, Luke, Luke's Saber, Commanding Presence, Poe, 1 Force Choke, 1 Phasma

If I want to complete it then I'll need to spend about $400 which just isn't a thing I can justify

Well if you are ever planning on doing it, right now might be the cheapest it will ever be. If the games popularity continues to rise, so will the demand for cards. You could see prices going up quite a bit for certain very in demand cards. Holdout Blaster could very well eventually be a $30 card, even if that is several months from now.

Or the game gets very unpopular and all cards aren't worth poo poo any more.

It's almost guaranteed that either one of those options will eventually happen. Just which one?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even if I wanted to I literally don't have the money

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Well if you are ever planning on doing it, right now might be the cheapest it will ever be. If the games popularity continues to rise, so will the demand for cards. You could see prices going up quite a bit for certain very in demand cards. Holdout Blaster could very well eventually be a $30 card, even if that is several months from now.

Or the game gets very unpopular and all cards aren't worth poo poo any more.

It's almost guaranteed that either one of those options will eventually happen. Just which one?

It probably depends a lot on if the core set rotation makes past core sets non-tournament "legal". Even in small games like this, that would tank the second hand market.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Had a 31-player Win-a-Box tournament this past Sunday. I came in with Han/Rey that had been doing really well (3-1 each of prior 3 weeks), and had the worst luck of my Destiny playing career, going 2-3 overall.

Here's the full breakdown of decks from the decklists:

Top decks from cut to 4:

1. Poe/Rey
2. Han/Rey
3. Poe/Rey
4. Han/Rey

So I was right, Poe/Rey dominated (and was the only undefeated deck) while my Han/Rey was very competitive.

Also, hooray for indefinite product shortages!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does noone play hyperloop? If X-wing had a broken as gently caress gimmick like thta you'd expect to see 30% of any given tournament running it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why does noone play hyperloop? If X-wing had a broken as gently caress gimmick like thta you'd expect to see 30% of any given tournament running it.

How soon you forget the old Whisper days

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

because you get gently caress all done while hyperlooping

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Because hyperloop is a gimmick that almost always loses.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Because hyperloop doesn't always win. If it is in the winning position when the loop starts it wins, but if you are losing on tiebreakers the loop doesn't help much. It's also social suicide.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, playing Star Wars Destiny is like yacht racing compared to x-wing right now. Playing hyperloop would tarnish one's standing with the rest of the aristocrats and high society folks who can afford to play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Also, playing Star Wars Destiny is like yacht racing compared to x-wing right now. Playing hyperloop would tarnish one's standing with the rest of the aristocrats and high society folks who can afford to play.

My boys at the dressage club really appreciated this joke.

People aren't always playing Destiny in a tournament setting, and in casual games the loop accomplishes nothing. Players win with hyperloop because it tries to get ahead on damage and will therefore win that tiebreaker when time runs out, but without a clock it's just "okay, well we're done playing this game, I guess...." If they're trying to set up the loop in a way they can actually win, which I think is possible through some ambush shenanigans with Rey involving some discard rolls somehow, well, there's no way in Awakenings to reliably pull that off. That much effort is then better spent on building a deck that can win the old fashioned way and leaving out the combo entirely.

Benthalus posted:

Had a 31-player Win-a-Box tournament this past Sunday. I came in with Han/Rey that had been doing really well (3-1 each of prior 3 weeks), and had the worst luck of my Destiny playing career, going 2-3 overall.

So I was right, Poe/Rey dominated (and was the only undefeated deck) while my Han/Rey was very competitive.

It's kind of cool that the metagame is still evolving even with product shortages and stuff. Poe was mostly overlooked early on.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

It's kind of cool that the metagame is still evolving even with product shortages and stuff. Poe was mostly overlooked early on.

Seems like Bala-Tik was, too. I'd like to claim I knew better, as the very first deck I made was eBala/Jango/Trooper, but that was mostly because I didn't have a second Jango die, and otherwise it had little in common with the current one, so not really.

Also, even with the access issues, there's clearly a large enough group of players with everything to drive a real meta; if anything I'd say the lack of product slows the rate at which it's solved because people (including me) are less likely to brew if they can't reasonably get the cards to play their brews in real competition. I'd also be interested to know how many people who didn't finish in the top had lists that were at least in part determined by product access issues. And of course, it's very difficult to figure out how many people avoid tournaments entirely because of the lack of stuff.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Ultiville posted:

Magic does multiple print runs for all sets now - they commit to product availability while the set is in Standard. (By which I mean, availability to retailers.) But of course, they also don't really have an expansion/base set distinction anymore, just smaller and larger sets.

Not sure about other games, but with the exception of Yu-Gi-Oh it's not generally hard to get product of CCGs for a reasonable length of time.

Magic has big structural advantages though, they can do their printing in house and locally so they aren't beholden to Chinese manufacture and shipping times.

Smaller companies ironically need to do bigger print runs to fufill less demand as they have a 3-6 month lead time for ordering.

I think if they make the base sets a venue to reprint key cards and dice, this won't be a deal breaker for the game as they can keep the staples in print that way.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The more I play this game, the angrier I get at the concept of starter deck only cards.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

frameset posted:

The more I play this game, the angrier I get at the concept of starter deck only cards.

It's one of FFG'S most infuriating policies, for sure. Almost every one of their games has that going on. poo poo, Arkham Horror, a solo or co-op LCG, needs two core sets for a full set of cards for deck building. Not a competitive game. Not a game with 5-7 packs per wave to make cards available. Not a CCG with random packs. A goddamn co-op card game, with an 80 dollar buy-in for just a complete playset of starter cards. It's the Day One DLC of board games. I know I could just make proxies, but for a 40 dollar purchase, I don't want half of my play deck to be black and white printer paper from a decade-old HP.

There's even less of a need to do poo poo like that with a CCG, because people will keep buying packs until they get the poo poo they want. The whole distribution model is built on it, not like a one-and-done board game. Hell, they make out better if I buy one starter and ten packs trying to get a second Force Throw, than if I just buy two starters.

Though, people who care about having everything are still gonna buy two starters and a ton of packs. So FFG wins regardless, and the lovely policy continues.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
This game is too fun, and I'm mad at myself for getting in this deep.

I'm about a dozen Legendaries away from having 2 of everything. The market on singles should go down in June during the reprint right? I don't feel like spending $200+ on 12-14 cards.

Do we do have/needs in this thread for trades? I don't have any extra Legendaries, but maybe my extra Rares might help someone out?

Nevermind, I have a sickness. I just completed my set. :negative:

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 2, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The last hold-out of my friends just posted his collection for sale, the guy who messaged me at least three times a week to make sure I was still holding onto my cards. And absolutely no one showed up for my weekly tournament last night (as opposed to the average of two players). It took away my only avenue for store credit, because I switched with another Magic judge so he could judge FNM and I could judge Wednesday Destiny and get the same amount of store credit... but not if no one shows up. I'm starting to regret both my optimism that the game can recover, and my holding onto $800 worth of cards.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry about your bad luck. We still have a minimum of 10 show up to our weekly league night, 15-20 show up to bi-weekly tournaments (depending on if we have actual prizes or not), and even had 2 brand new players this week at the league.

This is all at the one store I go to, I know of a few other stores that run various things but I can't devote all my time to gaming or my wife will murder me. The game isn't dead here and I'm still optimistic about the next release. Starters coming back into stock and the June refresh of Awakenings will hopefully breathe new life into the game and expand the player base.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

siggy2021 posted:

Sorry about your bad luck. We still have a minimum of 10 show up to our weekly league night, 15-20 show up to bi-weekly tournaments (depending on if we have actual prizes or not), and even had 2 brand new players this week at the league.

This is all at the one store I go to, I know of a few other stores that run various things but I can't devote all my time to gaming or my wife will murder me. The game isn't dead here and I'm still optimistic about the next release. Starters coming back into stock and the June refresh of Awakenings will hopefully breathe new life into the game and expand the player base.

My LGS has the prize kits coming in, which will be my last ditch effort to get players before the May/June new releases. I think the prize kits have a good chance of attracting the players from 40+ minutes west, especially because I know we're going to offer more store credit than the place out west gives out.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FFG updated their news from yesterday:
" Base sets for Destiny will consist of two new starter decks (which will replace the current Kylo Ren and Rey starter decks) and a set of booster packs . . . The base set will remain in print for one year"

People are speculating whether that includes Awakening and it's next "limited" print run or if it goes into effect with the next base set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well they say in the same article that Awakenings is getting just the one print run in June, after which it will be unavailable. So it sounds like this will be their policy with the next base set. What you have to wonder is if the new base set next year will have crossovers from Awakening.