Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So you're saying that you want to insult everyone involved (but your direct boss), but cant?

You have NO idea how much I want to lay out everything stupid and careless this guy and his former IT jackass did over the last couple years before IT jackass left. Like, documenting almost nothing about their processes/environment or making last-second changes that end up with us fixing a stupid problem we didn't cause. Or we end up arguing with them about why we need more than 24 hours head's up when they decide to move someone into a new office that doesn't have electrical or ethernet cabling installed, then they get pissed at us for "not doing our jobs" when it states in plain loving English in our contract that no, we do not run or terminate ANY wiring whatsoever, we use our own contractor or refer the client to one.

Sadly I don't make the choices on who we keep or give the boot and this client happens to pay a decent amount to my MSP. So yeah, a big part of my frustration is the higher ups that care more about money than they do about the poo poo engineers go through daily with ignorant clients who don't communicate.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think he was saying :yotj:

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
My bosses spent I don't know how much on having new plans for our office done up and securing contractors. Nobody thought about the relatively simple IT infrastructure or the fact that literally all of it is on the first wall they wanted to demo.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Huh...

so.. my last job sent me for a training course at the end of 2015... It wasn't IT related, but they wanted it. Looks like they applied for and received a government grant in my name to pay for it...

The reason I found out is I just got a letter from the provincial government asking for my feedback on how useful the grant was for the training course I was on and if the training course has helped me in my current position or potential future positions.. it has not.

Edit:

Looks like the only reason I was contacted is because my mailing info is active in the governments system for my EI claim. All the contact info for the grant, which it listed at the end of the survey was set to && on each line.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 1, 2017

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Is he dumb enough that you could just record the first time you tell him something, and just replay it each time he asks?

I already do this, sometimes verbally and sometimes with resending emails he never read the first time. I've never tried a recording, though!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Blue_monday posted:

My bosses spent I don't know how much on having new plans for our office done up and securing contractors. Nobody thought about the relatively simple IT infrastructure or the fact that literally all of it is on the first wall they wanted to demo.

Sounds like here (before my time). They built a new building. Didn't consult with the IT guy until it was already 3/4 built...and then had to shoehorn in a server room, and our IT office is literally the tinyest, saddest office, and the only actual office without a window (even across the hall...)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
90+ tickets came in.....

My buddy works the overnight help desk shift at an MSP. Usually alone between midnight and 7a because we're US based and so are our clients. Apparently one of our clients pushed out a global password reset requirement at EOB tonight without telling us about it. They apparently have A LOT of employees in India and China, and those offices don't have a VPN to any of the DCs, despite putting all workstations on the domain...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MANime in the sheets posted:

90+ tickets came in.....

My buddy works the overnight help desk shift at an MSP. Usually alone between midnight and 7a because we're US based and so are our clients. Apparently one of our clients pushed out a global password reset requirement at EOB tonight without telling us about it. They apparently have A LOT of employees in India and China, and those offices don't have a VPN to any of the DCs, despite putting all workstations on the domain...

Anyone who makes major changes at EOB or Friday either knows they don't have to deal with consequences or are loving morons.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yesterday we found out our phone system couldn't dial out the emergency number 999, nothing like testing things on a real life event!
(It was medical, and yes lots of people have mobile phones)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phone techs in being utterly incompetent shocker.

I support one small business (~30 staff) on the side for a friend of mine, used to work there full-time. I was and remain so poo poo-scared of breaking emergency calling that 999/112 both route via PSTN and a little Patton box.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 1, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

blackswordca posted:

Huh...

so.. my last job sent me for a training course at the end of 2015... It wasn't IT related, but they wanted it. Looks like they applied for and received a government grant in my name to pay for it...

The reason I found out is I just got a letter from the provincial government asking for my feedback on how useful the grant was for the training course I was on and if the training course has helped me in my current position or potential future positions.. it has not.

Edit:

Looks like the only reason I was contacted is because my mailing info is active in the governments system for my EI claim. All the contact info for the grant, which it listed at the end of the survey was set to && on each line.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how pissed off would the gubment be if they found out about this?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how pissed off would the gubment be if they found out about this?

Grant fraud is a pretty big thing they're cracking down on in recent years. Telling the nice government man that you never applied for the grant, had no knowledge of it, and are now concerned that your identity was stolen to fill out the grant paperwork will light a fire under someone's rear end over it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

A ticket came in posted:

Title: Surface Pro's Set up's for [group]

One of our help desk agents puts an apostrophe before every single s that gets added to a word. And overuses commas so much they end up in places, where there isn't even, a pause, like he's constantly out of, breath. Normally I would just ignore it, but lately he's been constantly complaining about non-native English speakers having terrible grammar. He even went so far as to suggest that foreigners should have to pass an English competency test before being hired.

He also uses Comic Sans for all his emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Surfii Pro

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Surfopodes :engleft::cthulhu:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hungry Computer posted:

One of our help desk agents puts an apostrophe before every single s that gets added to a word. And overuses commas so much they end up in places, where there isn't even, a pause, like he's constantly out of, breath. Normally I would just ignore it, but lately he's been constantly complaining about non-native English speakers having terrible grammar. He even went so far as to suggest that foreigners should have to pass an English competency test before being hired.

No jury, would, convict you............

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

______________________________/

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hungry Computer posted:

This cant be a real person....

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Really you'd be doing the world, a favor.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Hungry Computer posted:

I'm loving cringing. My boss and one of our salesmen overuse the ellipsis. Almost everywhere that SHOULD be a full stop is instead...something like this...and it really pisses me off.

Almost as bad are the people that email in ALL CAPS SO I FEEL LIKE THEY'RE YELLING AT ME like Steve Carell going "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT" in Anchorman.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I just noticed a SMS on my personal phone; timed 6:58pm.

"Have you done something to my phone today remotely? I no longer have the [banking] app which I need to log into the business account"

lol wut, we don't have any MDM and I have zero ability or interest to cock around with phones, this also sounds like a hilariously bad way of managing an account.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Really you'd be doing the world, a favor.

My director at my last job used colored comic sans and constantly used ellipses in place of periods. One week in, that was one of my first signs that I didn't want to stay there past the end of my contract.

I'll post the rest once I'm not on my phone. Not total trainwreck stuff, but :psyduck:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This cant be a real person....

Here's a screenshot from the email he used to send verify info for password resets:

We recently implemented policies around messaging that includes templates that need to be used for such emails, but I wouldn't be surprised if he converts that to Comic Sans before sending.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hungry Computer posted:

Here's a screenshot from the email he used to send verify info for password resets:

We recently implemented policies around messaging that includes templates that need to be used for such emails, but I wouldn't be surprised if he converts that to Comic Sans before sending.
:stonk: That is horrifying.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CEO's wife is a "designer" at our company. She loves Comic Sans we sell several products that are sublimated and use Comic Sans. They don't sell that well compared to our actual designers most of the time but most of our products are hers since she's "lead design" and gets to decide what products are getting made each year.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
https://youtu.be/J5KQrCpQqwE

She's just so proud.

(I needed a thread to post this in)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tailored Sauce posted:

https://youtu.be/J5KQrCpQqwE

She's just so proud.

(I needed a thread to post this in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqfFUF86C4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hungry Computer posted:

I don't think I've ever seen parentheses used for emphasis before.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

No their called paremphasi's for a reason...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Aunt Beth posted:

No their called paremphasi's for a reason...

:suicide:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Data Graham posted:

Well, non racist emphasis.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaX_PwxSh5M

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think he was saying :yotj:

I'm already updating the resume and job hunting for other reasons, some related to this and others relating to lovely management/leadership that don't give a drat about the engineers and work/life balance or job satisfaction. After almost 4 years at this place I'm getting sick of this client's poo poo and terrible management that keeps letting it happen, I got a "verbal warning" because the idiot boss with this client didn't like my answers when I called to get more info out of him and he said that this was "delaying an important appointment" (found out after that he was pissed because he missed a loving round of golf). There's a silver lining at least, with all the changes going on at my job - teams/roles are being shuffled around and this retard client is no longer someone I'm dedicated on a team to working with, they've got a main engineer they can play these stupid games with now. Gives me time to finish up a couple certs and bounce the gently caress out ASAP.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday:

:): We have 60 3G devices where we need to update an IP address to a DNS. Are we able to update them remotely?
:downs:: No, we did that on purpose because if you gently caress up the config the devices will no longer phone home.
:): Ok, I'll tell the guys at $client that it can't be done and has to be done manually.

Today:
:mad:: Why are we updating these all manually? Send a config update!
:): I was told we can't, because if we screw the config up we'd have to do it manually
:mad:: Who told you that?
:): :downs:
:downs:: I'll check with the dev team

:downs:: The dev team said we can send a config update

:downs: Oh poo poo I hosed up the config...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I do love my job. It's challenging and there's always something different happening, but man the contradictions that happen here can be a bit aggravating...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

One of my support staff managed to drop one of the most important tables from the live prod database of one of our biggest clients without doing any backups. After a few hours' work I got it back for her and she got me a bottle of scotch.

An entertaining day.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Still working in support for my university's online class system:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Danyull posted:

Priority level: 7

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Danyull posted:

User did not state the issue; closed for lack of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Danyull posted:

Offensive language, ticket escalated to management.
At prior jobs, I've hung up when people started swearing. No one has to put up with that.

• Locked thread