Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I have a MINIX box that I use mostly for videos but I also have an 8bitdo six-button fake NES controller I'd like to get more mileage on- any recommendations for games of just about any genre that plays nice on TV with a gamepad and doesn't require analog sticks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Dely Apple posted:

That weird Dynasty Nexon game freezes at the 7D Log In screen. So much for even getting to try it before panning it.

Same here. I did play it during the previous beta/soft release, and it was decent enough for me, though I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before. Mainly just killing hundreds of dudes at a time, and leveling up characters for story and side missions. Beta was only open for a week, so i don't know if it has any lasting appeal.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Is there any good city builder style games where you don't wait like 3 days per upgrade? I'm okay with a one time fee.

edit: oh looks like Bit City might scratch that itch when it comes out

i like tacos fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

i like tacos posted:

Is there any good city builder style games where you don't wait like 3 days per upgrade? I'm okay with a one time fee.

You can play it now, it's in beta.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

i like tacos posted:

I'd barely call Bit City a city builder. It's a cookie clicker with city builder clothes.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Millennial Sexlord posted:

You can play it now, it's in beta.

Beta is full :( It won't let me download it

Threefor
Nov 3, 2010
Dunno if it's been posted in this thread already, but Theotown is a rad little citybuilder with a more old-school feel.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a Post Apocalyptic game that works like Pokemon Go, in that you travel the real world and collect items from certain landmarks? If not there should be.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a Post Apocalyptic game that works like Pokemon Go, in that you travel the real world and collect items from certain landmarks? If not there should be.

I think I saw this on androidpolice, but I havent tried it personally. Sounds sort of like what you want? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sungrand.slayersofthedeadar&hl=en

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

the precursor to pokemon go is a game called Ingress where two factions fight for control of world landmarks. it's more cyberpunk than post-apocalyptic though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the precursor to pokemon go is a game called Ingress where two factions fight for control of world landmarks. it's more cyberpunk than post-apocalyptic though

And while I only lasted about a month on Pokemon GO, I still found it WAY better than Ingress.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I typically don't do much phone gaming, but I am going to have a few weekends coming up where I am going to be stuck in one place away from home with a lot of time to kill. Things I like include tower defense, roguelike stuff, puzzle questy things, old-school dungeon crawlers, turn-based tactical stuff, some of the older kairosoft games, and so on. Games that I can pause or are turn-based are good, as abrupt stops would probably be happening. I would prefer to avoid anything severely pay to win, anything with a stamina meter or premium currency, or anything that is intended to be played long term. It is going to be a few weekends, and then I am going to stop. Any suggestions?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I typically don't do much phone gaming, but I am going to have a few weekends coming up where I am going to be stuck in one place away from home with a lot of time to kill. Things I like include tower defense, roguelike stuff, puzzle questy things, old-school dungeon crawlers, turn-based tactical stuff, some of the older kairosoft games, and so on. Games that I can pause or are turn-based are good, as abrupt stops would probably be happening. I would prefer to avoid anything severely pay to win, anything with a stamina meter or premium currency, or anything that is intended to be played long term. It is going to be a few weekends, and then I am going to stop. Any suggestions?

Hoplite and microgue are both turn based tactical games that are free with pay to remove ads.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Dungeon Warfare is one of the best tower defense games I've played. It was recommended and loved by this thread a while back. I'm not sure about pausing midway through a level and picking it up late though. Never really tried that.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been working on something similar, albeit not as functional as that other app yet.

Currently I have the ability to spawn some zombies and have them path-find (using GPS walking directions from my own routing server) toward the human player. I've got GPS hooked up to the human and I'm also spawning markers on nearby pubs and shops. I've decided to try and get the zombie chasing mechanics really solid before I move onto anything else, but my next stage will be to start adding some more menus and interfaces to let the player interact with the shop markers, to be able to loot and use items.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

Polytopia is the best civlike available on phones, as far as I'm aware.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Personally, I enjoyed Civ Rev 2 a lot more. Is it considered A Bad Game?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Polytopia is the best civlike available on phones, as far as I'm aware.

Polytopia is fun until you get to the harder difficulty levels and realize the AI cheats like a mofo. The best difficulty level is Hard, Crazy is like hitting yourself in the crotch with a hammer. If you want to 3 star every civ though, you'll need to play on Crazy.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Gavinvin posted:

I've been working on something similar, albeit not as functional as that other app yet.

Currently I have the ability to spawn some zombies and have them path-find (using GPS walking directions from my own routing server) toward the human player. I've got GPS hooked up to the human and I'm also spawning markers on nearby pubs and shops. I've decided to try and get the zombie chasing mechanics really solid before I move onto anything else, but my next stage will be to start adding some more menus and interfaces to let the player interact with the shop markers, to be able to loot and use items.

This looks and sounds pretty interesting so far. Look forward to seeing what you end up with!

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

So to tl;dr the OP, basically 80 Days--->all the other nice things listed there--> everything else right?

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Urthor posted:

So to tl;dr the OP, basically 80 Days--->all the other nice things listed there--> everything else right?

The OP is kinda out of date with a lot of the cool games we have nerded over in the last few months, but everything listed their is still great. If you have the time skim read the last 100 pages or so and you'll find some great gems. Its what I did when I first found this thread and it was totally worth it.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
whats the latest hotness in mobile mmos that goons are into now?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EzEight posted:

Fire Emblem Heroes?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

EzEight posted:

There's also a decent amount of folks playing Final Fantasy Brave Exvius as well

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

uPen posted:

Hoplite and microgue

incogneato posted:

Dungeon Warfare

Aethernet posted:

Polytopia.
Appreciate the suggestions gents. I've put them all on my phone, and will give them a shot on my trip.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, it's time for my semi-annual 'why didn't I listen to you guys months ago?! :psyduck:" post, which I'm not proud of, but here we are. After really enjoying Bit City, I finally checked out Egg Inc, and holy poo poo. I'm really not sure why I love it so much, but I do. I know that due to the nature of the game (make numbers go higher), I'll eventually burn out, but before then I think I'll be enjoying it quite a bit.

Any quick tips? Or do I just play it like Bit City and roll with it?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, it's time for my semi-annual 'why didn't I listen to you guys months ago?! :psyduck:" post, which I'm not proud of, but here we are. After really enjoying Bit City, I finally checked out Egg Inc, and holy poo poo. I'm really not sure why I love it so much, but I do. I know that due to the nature of the game (make numbers go higher), I'll eventually burn out, but before then I think I'll be enjoying it quite a bit.

Any quick tips? Or do I just play it like Bit City and roll with it?

You're going to hit a wall hard and at that point I would use the free gems(or whatever they call it) to give unlimited hatching or day skipping. You'll go several days without any progress.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

i like tacos posted:

You're going to hit a wall hard and at that point I would use the free gems(or whatever they call it) to give unlimited hatching or day skipping. You'll go several days without any progress.

I've been playing the game as well for the last couple weeks and I hit that wall. I've just accepted that I need to prestige at least a dozen more times to make any more progress. I'm still having fun with the game though, and that's rare for me, as I usually just quit a game when I hit a wall like that.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jingleheimer posted:

I've been playing the game as well for the last couple weeks and I hit that wall. I've just accepted that I need to prestige at least a dozen more times to make any more progress. I'm still having fun with the game though, and that's rare for me, as I usually just quit a game when I hit a wall like that.

I'm at 220k soul eggs, so I can give some advice. After you reach Immortality/Tachyon there seems to be a cycle where you prestige a dozen (or more) times at very close to the same level, then you can make a big jump and prestige a dozen times at 5-10 times more soul eggs. Off the top of my head, I repeatedly prestiged at ~800, then ~4000 and now I'm doing 30-40k.

The folllowing epic upgrades are crucial, imo: Research cost (obvious), Hold to Hatch (obvious), Internal Hatcheries (less obvious), silo capacity (don't get silo quality it's garbage). The reason for the latter two is that your biggest asset is the number of chickens you have. This gives you more income, and more income also means drones and boxes and ads are worth more. Internal hatcheries work 100% while you're away, for as long as your silos last. Clucking multipliers are terrible, don't get those. Hatchery upgrade is even dumber (Assuming you babysit the game, at max level you can hold button for 20 chickens per second, but you will fairly quickly reach a point where your internal hatcheries are doing 100+ per second. Being able to squeeze out 20 per second a bit more is not worth it).

Soul egg efficiency is also obviously good, but not as much as what I mentioned so far. They may seem useless but you will also want cheaper buildings/vehicles at some point. Often your goal will be to have x million chickens, but it will not actually be feasible to build the tier of hen houses allowing you to actually hold that many, and if you want to go for that goal you will need to wait for ages at full hen houses. Maxing out that epic upgrade will sometimes let you just get the next tier, allowing you to complete the mission. Vehicle costs are similar (you might get stuck at full utilization without being able to upgrade to next tier of vehicles otherwise).

Once you have all I mentioned above, you should get between 2 and 4 upgrades to long warp time, and then use the long warp to your heart's content.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Kairosoft: Magician's Saga.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

But I'm still working in 8-bit Farm. :argh:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

All the reviews say 'a bit simple' which is enough for me to not pick it up, even though it looks like an updated Dungeon Village.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

binge crotching posted:

Polytopia is fun until you get to the harder difficulty levels and realize the AI cheats like a mofo. The best difficulty level is Hard, Crazy is like hitting yourself in the crotch with a hammer. If you want to 3 star every civ though, you'll need to play on Crazy.

Nah, just rush catapults plus spam ports & merchant huts > win. Selecting a civ with a free tech that lets you boost to four stars of income on the first turn is a major help. The civ with Hunting is the easiest as a result, as it gets you that much closer to catapults, followed the ones with riding and fishing. The former helps to get to tribes faster.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Aethernet posted:

All the reviews say 'a bit simple' which is enough for me to not pick it up, even though it looks like an updated Dungeon Village.

This is another one of their F2P titles so it already riddled with ads.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I need some offline only games for the airplane. Free and cheap is the best. I know this is very vague but all of the games mentioned recently require an online connection.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

fyallm posted:

I need some offline only games for the airplane. Free and cheap is the best. I know this is very vague but all of the games mentioned recently require an online connection.

Tales of Illyria is a good turn based rpg, with a little bit of Oregon Trail thrown in. Lots of content for $1

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Break Arts is a pretty fun racing/shooting game that's F-Zero-esque with racers you get to make by combining parts. It also has really obnoxious ads that don't show up at all if you don't have a connection.

EDIT: I found the steering assist to be very terrible, so I recommend turning that off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fyallm posted:

Well, they're not free, but really, my top 3 paid apps, in no order, are:

- Dungeon Warfare
- 80 Days
- Mini Metro

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, they're not free, but really, my top 3 paid apps, in no order, are:

- Dungeon Warfare
- 80 Days
- Mini Metro

Sell me on dungeon warfare. Just on the edge of grabbing it

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

fyallm posted:

Some free ones:

Galimulator - A Galaxy simulator, its fun to just sit and watch empires rise and fall but you can take control of an empire and start taking over the galaxy yourself. You can also go into sandbox mode and play god by giving certain empires buffs, extra ships or just outright destroying them.

Antiyoy - A super simple and fun turn based strategy game. The campaign missions are a bit easy at first but get harder when the AI starts to use all the units. Eventually gets boring due to its simplicity and lack of depth but I've still put a lot of hours into it. He has also released a bunch of other fully free simple games as well that you might want to check out, but this is my favourite of them.