Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darius099 posted:

That's my plan! I found a shrine of Hepliaklqana and decided he seemed like a cool dude, so now I have an ancestor following me around all the time. It gets pretty annoying telling the game "Yes, I'm sure I want to attack with my ally this close" all the time, though.

What's a really good M&F skill?

Oh jesus, dude, Hep + Devastator is not a good combo. You want to run stabbers with Hep. If you're not too far in, drop Hep and switch to Qazlal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nah, just move your knight to the other side of the foes and devastate them from both sides.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I always play extremely carefully in Zot, but especially on Z:5. If it helps, literally set a repeating timer to remind yourself to think between actions. The high player tension helps aggravate mistakes that can be easily avoided if you remember to examine your options each turn.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
After about five attempts managed to get a TSO only character through the game.

My TSO review is that he sucks until you're past Lair, and then he's pretty fantastic. My other review is the Alchemist Hat is possibly the best piece of equipment in the game.

I somehow managed to get zero Acquirements, or ego'd boots/cloaks all game, and only got archery gloves. Also my Zot 5 was like fully 50% Orbs of Fire and was an insane nightmare; thank god for rMut.

e: Also the one mutation I ended up with was caused by a Demonspawn Corruptor who spawned on D1, that fucker.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 1, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

that is one nice hat

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

taqueso posted:

that is one nice hat

It's probably one of the best unrands in the game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Bug/oversight: Using whirlwind and walljump while berserk don't seem to count as attacks, so your berserk runs out super fast.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Is CBRO experiencing issues? I've been playing my BaFE there and it's it's been having 500ms-2000ms delay even at seemingly low server load :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New frogs are 500x better, good job!

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

apple posted:

Is CBRO experiencing issues? I've been playing my BaFE there and it's it's been having 500ms-2000ms delay even at seemingly low server load :(

I play on xtahua and it's been horrible as well lately. There's usually like ten other people playing, so it's really weird :confused:

apple
May 18, 2003

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

I play on xtahua and it's been horrible as well lately. There's usually like ten other people playing, so it's really weird :confused:

Might just be coincidence but restarting browser helped; something related to webtiles or chrome itself could be leaking memory maybe :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

taqueso posted:

that is one nice hat

Hat of the alchemist is the very reason why I don't play Minotaurs anymore; almost every MiFi I roll finds that loving hat, and ones that don't usually find something just as good (I can't help myself but to burn ID scrolls). gently caress slot limited races, forever.

apple
May 18, 2003

New ignition spell + immolation scroll :allears:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Serephina posted:

Hat of the alchemist is the very reason why I don't play Minotaurs anymore; almost every MiFi I roll finds that loving hat, and ones that don't usually find something just as good (I can't help myself but to burn ID scrolls). gently caress slot limited races, forever.

Minotaurs can wear hats.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
When you guys play a demonspawn which mutation do you prefer: head slot or feet slot?

Also, I think spewing miasma on damage is not very good as half the stuff in the game seems to resist it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Head, because horns are cool and talons are lame. Who really wants to be a bird demon?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Head, because horns are cool and talons are lame. Who really wants to be a bird demon?

What about hooves so you could stomp around being a devil after you find a trident, huh?

I meant more from a logistical stance of is it better to be locked out of head gear and the various benefits they provide (and possibly the hat of the alchemist) or is it better to be locked out of footgear and the various benefits they provide (running, flying, sneaking)?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hooves should make you faster

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Serephina posted:

Hat of the Alchemist is a hat, not a helmet, you can wear it no problem as a minotaur

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I forgot about hooves. Hooves are good.

I honestly do base my opinion on which sounds better than which is slightly more optimal.

I think it's better to keep your head slot though. None of those boots are really all that great. Running used to be better, and it's still good, but I'd take hat of the alchemist over them any day. Now if you get horns and manage to find mask of the dragon...

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Anything is better than antennas, that's the most boring mutation.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
detect monsters is cooler than +a bit of damage on melee imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like antennas. We need a snail race.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Antennae 1 & 2 are kinda lame, but at least 3 gives you sInv so if you pretend you're wearing a +0 hat of sInv it's like you never gave up the slot at all!

Also, the +1 LoS on Hopkins is super noticeable with things like Tormentors, Hellfire, curse toes (argh those mushrooms) on the screen. Had probably my diciest ascent with one yesterday (only two !haste all game didn't help any).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I forgot about hooves. Hooves are good.

I honestly do base my opinion on which sounds better than which is slightly more optimal.

I think it's better to keep your head slot though. None of those boots are really all that great. Running used to be better, and it's still good, but I'd take hat of the alchemist over them any day. Now if you get horns and manage to find mask of the dragon...

Wait did running get nerfed?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm trying to do a Fedhas run atm, on a VSTm, and as of finishing Lair Fedhas just feels useless and awful. I feel like I rarely have enough piety to actually use his abilities in the critical mass required to make them useful. Maybe he'll feel less bad if I manage to find an amulet of faith, but I'm really unenthused. Thank god VSTm is tremendously overpowered.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Are you rapid decaying corpses whenever possible to keep piety up (used to be via prayer, think it's under abilities now)? Are you trying to kite enemies past one or two wandering mushrooms so their spore attack confuses them and not using them as tofuwalls (they're relatively fragile)? Are you training Invocations which directly translates to more health for your minions and shooting speed of your oklobs? Once you have an oklob nest up (2-4 is a pretty good number for Lair branch ends), are you kiting everything into it instead of sprouting more?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Are you rapid decaying corpses whenever possible to keep piety up (used to be via prayer, think it's under abilities now)? Are you trying to kite enemies past one or two wandering mushrooms so their spore attack confuses them and not using them as tofuwalls (they're relatively fragile)? Are you training Invocations which directly translates to more health for your minions and shooting speed of your oklobs? Once you have an oklob nest up (2-4 is a pretty good number for Lair branch ends), are you kiting everything into it instead of sprouting more?

I've been doing all that, but it feels like a whole lot of resources and movement for the returns I'm getting. The only time I felt like I was getting big power boost was when I spawned 4 oklobs in Lair 6 and cleared it that way.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
My poor Gargoyle fighter got the crap hammered out of him by an Ogre. Rest in piece little buddy.

I'm trying a Troll Monk now and he seems pretty solid. I'm in the Temple and trying to figure out what God is best for him.

Do most people rush the temple, then go back up and clear the floors they left behind?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Darius099 posted:

My poor Gargoyle fighter got the crap hammered out of him by an Ogre. Rest in piece little buddy.

I'm trying a Troll Monk now and he seems pretty solid. I'm in the Temple and trying to figure out what God is best for him.

Do most people rush the temple, then go back up and clear the floors they left behind?

I typically try to clear most floors, but I'll nope out of any fight I'm not pretty sure I can win, then come back with a few more levels under my belt.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I used to think Antennae were lame until I started playing more Demonspawn. The detection radius from level 3 is super useful and saved me numerous times from stuff I couldn't even see yet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The problem is that Antennae 1 is lame(as all the other rank 1 aux slot mutations are), and non-Ds are unlikely to reach level 3.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The problem is that Antennae 1 is lame(as all the other rank 1 aux slot mutations are), and non-Ds are unlikely to reach level 3.

Which is why the devs should drop everything and make mutations way more likely to level up when you get a new Mut!!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Please no, level 3 body mutations are worse than level 1.

The bodyslot mutation is a cost you pay for being demonspawn (where you hope you get the most useful/least harmful ones, antenna or claws) and it's usually not something you actually want. If you could choose to wear gloves/boots/helmets over level 3 mutations but negate their effects like you can with level 1-2 you would see Tengu with boots and helmets.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Who the heck doesn't pray for claws?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Me, once I've found a really nice pair of gloves.

Or once I've sunk ~14 levels worth of xp into a weapon.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Has anyone experienced a bug where clicking on the different play links does nothing?

None of them are working for me right now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Wait did running get nerfed?

After 0.12 the move delay effect was cut from -2 to -1.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Carcer posted:

Me, once I've found a really nice pair of gloves.

Or once I've sunk ~14 levels worth of xp into a weapon.
That's why you devote to makhleb and put that experience into 20 levels of invocations instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CBRO keeps sending me back to lobby when I try to start a game :( what giev

• Locked thread