Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Knowing these games, Joe Darke got framed for one murder and then the police pinned every other murder that year on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty sure he did do the other murders at least. His name is Darke, after all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Joe Darke just wanted an ordinary life.

Clearly this is the mindset of an innocent person.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He was looking kinda dumb with his finger and his thumb in the shape of an 'L' on his forehead...

And now I want a montage of his murders set to that for some reason.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ...! (We certainly can't get dead people to testify.)

Well that's a pretty funny statement to make in this series.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

Well that's a pretty funny statement to make in this series.

Well I mean, he's right. They can't! There aren't any spirit mediums in the immediate vicinity.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

LordNagash posted:

Well I mean, he's right. They can't! There aren't any spirit mediums in the immediate vicinity.

Not only that, as we recall thanks to all the trouble Phoenix had to go through to get to the bottom of Edgey's father's death and because of a spirit actually LYING to the spirit medium used to determine who killed him, spirit mediums aren't credible. But again, this is Japanifornia where mystical poo poo is evidence and you can use wild wacky abilities to determine the truth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh poo poo. I did not see that coming.

So the investigator was going to kill Darke, Ema thinking it was Darke that was going to kill the investigator, pushes him and accidentally kills the investigator.

I'm pretty sure legally, if you're in the US, that it's legal to kill someone if they are posing the imminent threat of severe bodily harm to you or someone else.

quote:

A non-criminal homicide ruling, usually committed in self-defense or in defense of another, exists under United States law. An homicide may be considered justified if it is done to prevent a very serious crime, such as rape, armed robbery, manslaughter or murder. The victim must reasonably believe, under the totality of the circumstances, that the assailant intended to commit a serious crime. An homicide performed out of vengeance, or retribution for action in the past, would not be considered justifiable.

So no, I don't think anyone actually goes to jail over that. Plus Ema would be a minor anyway.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Your puny defenses about justification (or mens rea, or procedural safeguards, or basic rights, or basic logic) have no legal weight in Japanifornia.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Mors, you are a machine churning out these updates! Kudos to you for this frantic pace, especially at this point of the game!

Poor Ema, I don't think they take killers into the police force. That's only allowed *after* you join!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is Ema actually going to be charged with murder?

Like, I thiught this whole coverup was to spare Ema from the burden of having killed a man ( and the wrong man at that)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh poo poo. I did not see that coming.

So the investigator was going to kill Darke, Ema thinking it was Darke that was going to kill the investigator, pushes him and accidentally kills the investigator.

I'm pretty sure legally, if you're in the US, that it's legal to kill someone if they are posing the imminent threat of severe bodily harm to you or someone else.

So no, I don't think anyone actually goes to jail over that. Plus Ema would be a minor anyway.

Involuntary manslaughter is a crime; a much lesser crime than murder, but still on the mens rea tier. It goes like this, I believe: there's involuntary manslaughter, which is more or less a complete accident- no intent to hurt or kill, but still viable for recklessness or negligence charges; then there's voluntary manslaughter, in which an intent to hurt or injure, sometimes frighten, the victim but not kill them was proven, which is a bit more serious; then second degree murder, which was done without premeditation "in the heat to the moment", a crime of passion; and then first degree murder, in which both a plan to murder and intent are proven.

Not that any of that means anything in this story, where someone has to swing if someone else turns up dead. This game is going to make me mad again, isn't it?

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

I mean, the laws of japanifornia are basically pure insanity when it comes to the courts, so yeah it'll probably make you mad.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

resurgam40 posted:

Involuntary manslaughter is a crime; a much lesser crime than murder, but still on the mens rea tier. It goes like this, I believe: there's involuntary manslaughter, which is more or less a complete accident- no intent to hurt or kill, but still viable for recklessness or negligence charges; then there's voluntary manslaughter, in which an intent to hurt or injure, sometimes frighten, the victim but not kill them was proven, which is a bit more serious; then second degree murder, which was done without premeditation "in the heat to the moment", a crime of passion; and then first degree murder, in which both a plan to murder and intent are proven.

Not that any of that means anything in this story, where someone has to swing if someone else turns up dead. This game is going to make me mad again, isn't it?

Which of those apply to case 3?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It depends on if Dee meant to hurt Jack or merely get him out of the way. Either way, she could probably make a case for self-defense. But then there's the mafia stuff, innit? And even if she's declared not guilty, the fallout basically means her career is over.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Which of those apply to case 3?

None, which makes it the most interesting one so far: the one who attempted the murder got himself killed, but given that the accused in that case blackmailed him out of revenge for what may or may not have been an accident, she's still not exactly blameless (especially given that she tried to have phoenix killed to cover it up, a fact not even brought up which shows you how much the life of a defense lawyer is actually worth in this brave new world :v: ). The game even indicates she wasn't in the end a killer by having her breakdown make her look better than before instead of destroyed her, because the truth has made her free.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

resurgam40 posted:

None, which makes it the most interesting one so far: the one who attempted the murder got himself killed, but given that the accused in that case blackmailed him out of revenge for what may or may not have been an accident, she's still not exactly blameless (especially given that she tried to have phoenix killed to cover it up, a fact not even brought up which shows you how much the life of a defense lawyer is actually worth in this brave new world :v: ). The game even indicates she wasn't in the end a killer by having her breakdown make her look better than before instead of destroyed her, because the truth has made her free.

Also in Turnabout Goodbyes, when Phoenix realises the guy on the boat with Edgeworth has to have been the murderer, pretending to be Hammond, this little dialogue takes place

"Phoenix:
Remember the case with the Steel Samurai!?

Maya:
Huh? Yeah, of course I remember...

Phoenix:
The murderer in this case had the same idea as the murderer in that case!"

While Phoenix is a bit inaccurate in calling Hammer the murderer, the sentiment stands. The one considered a culprit in case 3 is Jack Hammer, not Dee Vasquez.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dee was always one of my favorite characters in this and I always wonder what happened to her. She probably wasn't, like, a good person, what with blackmail and siccing mafia goons at folks, but Jack Hammer's death was definitely an accident of self defense so she might be the only person so far who doesn't get the death penalty.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think I've figured out what actually happened in this case. Will be interesting to see if I am right.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

resurgam40 posted:

IIRC, murder 1 and 2 (or a very near equivalent) is the only concept in the manslaughter - murder continuum that translates rather almost precisely across different cultures. All other variations are very likely to be subtly yet significantly different.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The only bit of good news for Ema is that this isn't the trial for the murder of Neil Marshall, but of Bruce Goodman, so Ema's trial will be an entirely different travesty of justice. Hopefully she can find a decent defense attorney for that trial, whether it involves having to dig up Mia or not.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

The only bit of good news for Ema is that this isn't the trial for the murder of Neil Marshall, but of Bruce Goodman, so Ema's trial will be an entirely different travesty of justice. Hopefully she can find a decent defense attorney for that trial, whether it involves having to dig up Mia or not.

Wouldn't the Marshall case be closed by the following day anyway? That's what triggered this whole incident.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Wouldn't the Marshall case be closed by the following day anyway? That's what triggered this whole incident.

Wrongful convictions can be overturned, even if the convicted is long dead. Besides I'm sure Japanifornia's bloodlust allows them to use trial and error in convictions, gotta crack a few eggs to make an justice omelet.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dariusknight posted:

Not only that, as we recall thanks to all the trouble Phoenix had to go through to get to the bottom of Edgey's father's death and because of a spirit actually LYING to the spirit medium used to determine who killed him, spirit mediums aren't credible. But again, this is Japanifornia where mystical poo poo is evidence and you can use wild wacky abilities to determine the truth.
Edgeworth's dad didn't actually lie, he was unconscious when he died so he didn't know who killed him and made the obvious assumption (it was the guy I was just fighting with who also happened to have a gun) that turned out to be wrong :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would love to know what was going through Neil Marshall's head at the time.

"I had him! I almost had him! gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR, RANDOM SIX-YEAR OLD!"

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Glazius posted:

Nah, it went through his back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

"I had him! I almost had him! gently caress YOU IN PARTICULAR, RANDOM SIX-YEAR OLD!"

He's just really dedicated to the concept of people being convicted of things.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Glazius posted:

I don't mean to nitpick, but Ema was 14 at the time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Glazius posted:

What in tarnation

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Isn't the real cover-up here not that Ema might have accidentally killed Marshall, but that Marshall was about to murder Darke? Did I miss something? :confused:

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Isn't the real cover-up here not that Ema might have accidentally killed Marshall, but that Marshall was about to murder Darke? Did I miss something? :confused:

It probably goes deeper than that, remember, they didn't have enough evidence to convict Darke so they manufactured a way to get Darke by making it look like he killed Marshall. The fact that Ema accidentally killed Marshall and that Marshall looked like he was trying to kill Darke is irrelevant (at the moment at least).

Everytime I replay this case I think to myself, Darke = Michael Douglas in Falling Down

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm guessing were supposed to assume darke was also trying to kill Marshall and marshal just had the upper hand

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm guessing were supposed to assume darke was also trying to kill Marshall and marshal just had the upper hand

I'm not ready to assume that yet. Though I really thought we were going to learn that Gant was the real killer (I mean c'mon his name is Damon), so I'm kind of surprised that it's a case of tone at the top / corruption / shoddy police work a la OJ instead! Also it's real interesting that all the heat is on Edgeworth and none seems to be on the Chief of Police or anyone else now known or suspected of being involved with fabricating evidence.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's just generally A Thing with the Phoenix Wright series, from what I'm aware of; we've even seen it earlier a couple of times, where simply proving that there's reasonable doubt isn't enough in the Japanifornia system and all trials are unbelievably biased and you have to slam-dunk every point and force confessions to make any headway at all. Now Phoenix seems to be unintentionally in the habit of tackling the problem directly (ie, corrupt/power-tripping police/prosecution), so some manipulation and push-back is to be expected.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Also it's real interesting that all the heat is on Edgeworth and none seems to be on the Chief of Police or anyone else now known or suspected of being involved with fabricating evidence.

That's Gant using mob psychology to pin the blame on Edgeworth before anyone can put two and two together and go 'hey waitaminute, the Chief Prosecutor and Chief of Police both got their promotions from this case which has now been proven to have been wildly manipulate and falsified...'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It also helps that Edgeworth has a lot of negative press as a Demon Prosecutor and was suspected of murder not long ago.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It also helps that the only place of responsibility seems to be on the prosecutors office. We totally played you, got a few extra people killed, and falsified evidence, but it's your fault that you didn't catch us.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
That's why this is one of the more frustrating LPs to follow, because the set up is so painfully unfair. This is not how a court should work!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Double Plus Undead posted:

That's why this is one of the more frustrating LPs to follow, because the set up is so painfully unfair. This is not how a court should work!

This entire game series is meant to satirize the actual functioning of the Japanese court system, which is only slightly better and significantly more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I guess part of the reason might be that with all the power the Prosecutors seem to have about the police, it's not unreasonable that the Prosecution is actually held responsible for their actions. You get to bully and influence police forces and influence hteir paycheques and they will gently caress with evidence for you, but if the police is loving around with evidence, it's assumed they're doing that on your command.

• Locked thread