Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
http://www.wweek.com/news/business/2017/02/21/a-northeast-portland-record-label-lands-on-a-national-hate-group-registry/

Soleilmoon Recordings have apparently been listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
hail gay hitler

e: also lol at the weapon-grade antifa blog copypasta

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Sellin' Neofolk = bein' a nazi I guess.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Death in June is totally nazi though, and neo-folk is mostly trash.

Rome is okay.

Really though, industrial music needs to be either explicitly left-wing or subverting the totalitarian aesthetic by mixing it with dancing shirtless gay guys from tech-support.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 1, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Biomute posted:

Rome is okay.

Rome and Death In Rome are the only good neofolk.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
As a straight latin-american dude I felt compelled enough with DIJ's songs about gay anal sex in an airport bathroom and being a weird lonely gay grandpa that I got a guitar and learned to play it.

quote:

:agreed:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Why would you listen to anything but homoerotic EBM in the gym??

Don't forget Rummelsnuff for your gym playlists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBDk6V8s2A

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Entropist posted:

Don't forget Rummelsnuff for your gym playlists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBDk6V8s2A

I'm not sure if this is ironic or not, which is how the press seems to perceive Rammstein as well (and some of them are so loving stupid that they don't get Laibach, who aren't even actually German, but I'm digressing here). Guess that is just how Industrial stuffs is.

Biomute posted:

Yeah I kind of stay the gently caress away from neo folk since everything I've heard about it is 'take the fascistic aesthetic in industrial music, but make it fully sincere.'

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Molestationary Store posted:

I'm not sure if this is ironic or not, which is how the press seems to perceive Rammstein as well (and some of them are so loving stupid that they don't get Laibach, who aren't even actually German, but I'm digressing here). Guess that is just how Industrial stuffs is.

Yeah I kind of stay the gently caress away from neo folk since everything I've heard about it is 'take the fascistic aesthetic in industrial music, but make it fully sincere.'

This has actually being going around my facebook again and a few of us are having to educate multiple people on the fact that yes, actually Death In June are huge loving Nazis or something indistinguishable from such based on Douglas P's own words on his own website. Some still argue the toss.

Oh, the other band with the tag you can like is Disjecta Membra not only 'cos they're good but because 'cos Michel Rowland is a dude and is happy to be pointedly Maori at annoying nazilike idjits. But he's largely conceding the tag is toxic.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The impression I got from going to see a few formerly big name neofolk bands in Europe is that they are people who liked to be edgy with crypto-fascist stuff 20 years ago but now just like to hang out with their 20 friends who come to their show. And the music that they actually played now was not much like the neofolk that they were known for, it was either more industrial-experimental or more pop. This is just a vague impression on the basis of seeing Der Blutharsch and a few other such bands in the last few year at local shows though, I'm sure there are still bands around that take this stuff seriously. But these experiences did not exactly make me worried about a fascist takeover of the scene.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Not really true at all, Current 93's neofolk material is excellent, some Sol Invictus is very good if you don't mind the vocals, and there's a few other pretty good projects as well. Death In Rome is just gimmickry.

Entropist posted:

The impression I got from going to see a few formerly big name neofolk bands in Europe is that they are people who liked to be edgy with crypto-fascist stuff 20 years ago but now just like to hang out with their 20 friends who come to their show. And the music that they actually played now was not much like the neofolk that they were known for, it was either more industrial-experimental or more pop. This is just a vague impression on the basis of seeing Der Blutharsch and a few other such bands in the last few year at local shows though, I'm sure there are still bands around that take this stuff seriously. But these experiences did not exactly make me worried about a fascist takeover of the scene.

Der Blutharsch were never really a neofolk band, he started off doing sample heavy martial industrial and then turned it into a rock band later on. He was in The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud prior to forming Der Blutharsch, and they were sort of neofolk in some ways, but didn't really sound like any other bands in the scene either(although they were very good).

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

divabot posted:

This has actually being going around my facebook again and a few of us are having to educate multiple people on the fact that yes, actually Death In June are huge loving Nazis or something indistinguishable from such based on Douglas P's own words on his own website. Some still argue the toss.

Oh, the other band with the tag you can like is Disjecta Membra not only 'cos they're good but because 'cos Michel Rowland is a dude and is happy to be pointedly Maori at annoying nazilike idjits. But he's largely conceding the tag is toxic.

I meant Rummelsnuff with the irony comment, haha.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Sorry to not contribute to neofolk chat, but because im a Esplendor Geometrico fanboy, i want to post that they released a new album a month or two ago. They're still going strong. Cant find full tracks on youtube, but its available on Rotor Discos website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_e9myHd71Q

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

spider_ross.avi posted:

Sorry to not contribute to neofolk chat, but because im a Esplendor Geometrico fanboy, i want to post that they released a new album a month or two ago. They're still going strong. Cant find full tracks on youtube, but its available on Rotor Discos website.

They are pretty ace.

I randomly stumbled across Catastrophe Noise and really liked it. Pretty raw rhythmic noise. https://catastrophenoise.bandcamp.com/album/rear end-it-is

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

spider_ross.avi posted:

Their new stuff is all too smooth and dancey

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

A human heart posted:

Their new stuff is all too smooth and dancey

Its definitely no sheikh aljama or comisario. Each album still manages to stand pretty well on its own though. I guess arturo's move from hardware to software would have something to do with it. Seems like he is able to focus more on obsessive trance-inducing repetition and weirdo sample manipulation since cables and wires no longer pose an obstacle. I can appreciate that.

I randomly stumbled across Catastrophe Noise and really liked it. Pretty raw rhythmic noise. https://catastrophenoise.bandcamp.com/album/rear end-it-is

Thanks for the link! Definitely will check it out during my daily commute.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

From the makers of Amphi comes E-Tropolis festival on 18 March! http://etropolis-festival.de/bands.php Some people could fairly describe this festival as "just kind of the same set over and over" but gently caress 'em! Covenant is always a good time, I've never seen Front 242 live, the In Strict Confidence vintage show is v. interesting because I mostly know them from 2006's Exile Paradise and beyond, and I didn't get to see Faderhead with Covenant. Plus it's in Oberhausen so I'm thinking Legoland until doors open. Anyone else interested in going?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
That is an awesome lineup! Front 242 are certainly worth seeing.

I can't go but if you do go to this, make sure you see Wulfband. They're awesome. Neuroticfish were also great when I saw them a couple of years ago. I've heard really good things about Cryo too.

I seem to remember seeing Solar Fake somewhere and liking them too.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

From the makers of Amphi comes E-Tropolis festival on 18 March! http://etropolis-festival.de/bands.php Some people could fairly describe this festival as "just kind of the same set over and over" but gently caress 'em! Covenant is always a good time, I've never seen Front 242 live, the In Strict Confidence vintage show is v. interesting because I mostly know them from 2006's Exile Paradise and beyond, and I didn't get to see Faderhead with Covenant. Plus it's in Oberhausen so I'm thinking Legoland until doors open. Anyone else interested in going?

That is a badass lineup. Would love to go but E-Tropolis is always at the worst possible time for me, unfortunately. I think last year I heard there were some problems with the location. AFAIK the Turbinenhalle is a kind of a long and narrow-ish room and that caused some issues with too many people inside and them not being able to move around. Hope it's better this year, take care of yoself, man

Still thinking I really want to go to M'era Luna. Like all my favorite bands are there this year! The problem is I have no idea if have money for that particular trip... Just about to graduate and since I'll be a teacher, it's not like employers are lining up to give me a job in the summer since school's out for June and July here.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
drat, that lineup. I'll have to seriously think about this, though it'll be hard to free up time for it...

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2bqeslPvIQ

Fun interview with Leeb.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Looking at some old ID:UD reviews, found this hilarious explanation of the barely comprehensible German-sung-by-a-Swede lyrics to the Sturm Cafe song Alphamenschen when one of the band jumped into the comments to sort of explain the origin of the song:

quote:

"We made alphamenschen for a roleplaying and tabletop game society club in our hometown during highschool called “SF Alpha”. I think we got 50€ as payment for it. The grammar and content is confusing to say the least but they just wanted a cool song with word alpha in it."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I will never stop loving what a goddamned nerdy genre industrial is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Good times at E-Tropolis this far! Wulfband best band this far but the night is still early. Whoever said moving around is a pain was totally right, but otherwise the Turbinenhalle is a pretty good venue. I might come back next month for Aesthetic Perfection!

Edit: tyske ludder was great, [x]-rx was decent, faderhead was loving awesome, and I got to the stage where covenant is about to play in time for Agonoize to hose down the first three rows with fake blood for literally the duration of a song, good stuff

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Here's some fun youtubes of E-Tropolis acts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6fSC7IZj6Q Neuroticfish - Former Me. I thought I wasn't going to watch the Neuroticfish set because I just saw them and it would involve scooting over to the other stage after Covenant and losing my frontish-row placement for Front 242. But then I did, and it was worth it, because it was awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Y0eenYle8 In Strict Confidence - Prediction. Good set overall!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lBsZVpfq84 Faderhead - Know Your Darkness. Faderhead had a great set overall and tons of stage presence and energy, but the earlier songs were plagued by some really weird sound issues. They weren't the only ones - people on both stages had a lot of issues with the monitor headsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P43e3pYsI3Y Tyske Ludder - Panzer. I knew very little about Tyske Ludder before E-Tropolis, which is my bad, because they put on a great show. This video features them in Putin masks, but they also played March https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtqNqB1WH0 wearing Trump masks. It's hard to tell from this video but viewed straight on it looked a lot like one of those weird animated gifs. Also I have no idea who the dude playing the drum is - he had no mic on the drum and didn't sing anything. Is he in the band, or did he just win a kickstarter raffle? He was on stage the whole time and it was a little confusing! Also I'm in those videos :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBojZoh_qxA [X]-RX - Crank It Up. You can probably tell from the video but they had lots of energy and tried to bring the crowd into it too

I was very impressed with Covenant's set, and looking at the setlists it seems like they change their show up very frequently - certainly it bore no resemblance to the show I saw them at last year, but was equally great. Lots of stuff from The Blinding Dark, but also a lot of older tracks (Cryotank, Sequencer and Europa). Overall great festival and I would definitely consider going back next year, but maybe just for one night because the area doesn't have a lot of stuff to do.

edit: also i want to see Wulfband live again

edit2: comedy Agonoize video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GLX_d-5W8 he's pumping that fake blood from about 1:03 to 4:21 in the video, and after a solid 3 minutes and 18 seconds of that poo poo everyone in the front was absolutely drenched. He also managed to nail some of the lights and coat the floor despite the Gallagher-esque tarps.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 21, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pope Guilty posted:

https://soundcloud.com/kommandoxy/genesis-does-what-nintendont

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

it was cooler when it was just art school weirdos and scumfucks

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Mute posted:

We're thrilled to announce the recharge of our worldwide partnership with Throbbing Gristle! For the first time, the band's entire catalogue is now available on streaming. You can also expect physical and digital releases + box sets of rare material and imagery. We're looking forward to sharing it with you!

https://open.spotify.com/artist/1UYhxPY1oqFUg1HfF8nV3k

loving finally.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nice.

Hopefully one day Coil stuff will be more easily streamed or purchased too!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rudy Ratzinger is quitting Wumpscut and has outed himself as being a total moron! Apparently the new Wumpscut compilation album comes with a thing in the liner notes implying he is quitting and that it's the fault of people who pirate his music.

Oh boy. Several things wrong with this.

First and most critically of all, maybe, just maybe the reason people aren't listening to his music anymore is the yearly flood of a hundred different editions of some limp uninspired garbage that sounds the same as the ten previous albums. I guess fans should've kept sending him money forever for terrible poo poo albums.

Secondly, probably not a good idea to attack the fans who have been keeping him afloat for all these years.

Thirdly, the music industry and how you make money in it has changed, pirating isn't nearly as big of a problem as it was years ago. Get with the times, grandpa.

He also apparently posted some dumb passive-aggressive stuff on Facebook when people asked about it, including saying he didn't start the project to make money....but isn't the project stopping making money the reason he is quitting..?

I still had a modicum of respect left for Ratzinger despite his nondescript yearly albums, but this is just pathetic and I'm glad he's loving off, now.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

I still had a modicum of respect left for Ratzinger despite his nondescript yearly albums, but this is just pathetic and I'm glad he's loving off, now.

This is pretty drat pathetic. Maybe no one was buying his albums because they've not been good since maybe 2004, and the "edgy" cover art is pretty poor too.

The early ones were great in places, but then it went extremely downhill.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"But sales are slumping and no one will say why. Could it be they put out one too many lousy records?"

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I bought one wumpscut cd years ago when I found it in my local Tower (this was obviously in dinosaur times) and it was just the same lame song remixed 10 different ways. I had heard good things about the music, but never bothered to take a chance again on wumpscut for what in those days were essentially blind buys.

That said, I'm old school and I never get mad if an artist complains about digital downloads and not getting paid.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Music For a Slaughtering Tribe and Bunker Gate 7 are both fantastic albums.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Pope Guilty posted:

And then don't listen to anything else, except maybe the remix wars EP with haujobb.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pope Guilty posted:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but his discography is basically asymptotic - it starts off promising but rapidly descends to a sustained level of mediocrity. He's got some good songs early on; it's a shame he decided to completely and utterly stagnate.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Oh well, the last album from Wumpscut I really enjoyed from start to finish was Bone Peeler and that was released 13 years ago.

I don't believe he's really quitting though, he's just throwing a tantrum and will get back in the saddle to create albums filled with 70% crap in no time.

Bayham Badger
Jan 19, 2007

Secretly force socialism, communism and imperialism types of government onto the people of the United States of America.

I still like Embryodead and Wreath of Barbs, but those were my introduction to wumpscut, and to some extent the genre.

But wumpscut was probably one of the first bands where I learned fast not to be too excited when I found something new of his in the ever-shrinking industrial section of the record store.

Bayham Badger fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 31, 2017

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've been listening to a lot of Das Ich as of late and I would very much like to find similar music, any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm seeing Covenant today here in Helsinki and I'm so excited :hellyeah: Seeing them at Amphi last year with Prop Wash was so great and I've been DYING to see a full-blown club set from them ever since. Hoping they play a lot from Blinding Dark because I loving love that album. I'm bringing my limited edition copy of it with me on the off chance I have the chance to get it signed.

Kamrat posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Das Ich as of late and I would very much like to find similar music, any recommendations?

I'm mostly drawing a blank right now but definitely give at least Stillste Stund a try.