Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If 90% of the pearl, brain guy, and Bobo sketches were lost in a fire I wouldn't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGZbfNADNs

The first time I saw this, I lost it so hard my wife was concerned about my wellbeing. Started with just a chuckle thinking "Wait, is this a Sven and Ole joke?" and then progressively laughing harder and harder as it went on. To the point of tears. I just can't explain it.

It's probably my favorite skit.
v:shobon:v

I definitely appreciate this one, yes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

There are some people that find that sort of thing really, really funny. See the Mike's stereo bit from The Creeping Terror, the pee scene from Austin Powers, or the episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast where he follows an ant for most of the episode.
Mike listening to the Creeping Terror theme on his hi-fi system is one of my favorite sketches. He's just so content. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbKEXBk8X0

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Crow's guitar solo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhcEXk_pJ9c

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Was going to say I thought I remembered from the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide that Frank was the one who wrote that sketch in Creeping Terror, and sure enough from mst3kinfo.com:

"In the ACEG they mentioned that segment 3 was written mostly by Frank, who loves sketches where nothing happens for long stretches."

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
In a similar vein to the Sven and Ole sketch, I always liked their Bergmanesque Death and Taxes promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1w_dp2PK9E

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TVs Ian posted:

or the episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast where he follows an ant for most of the episode.

This one's a little different though. He's not just silently following the ant, he's talking about it as he goes along and the rest of the cast is reacting to what he's doing. It's funny.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would rather listen to the Crow version than the real thing any day. At least they get to skip forward in time during his solo.

One I thought didn't work as well is the one where they're pouring English beer I think it's in Devil Doll maybe? It went on forever.

Pearl, Bobo and Brian Guy are hit and miss but I liked the camping/evil pods story line and the already mentioned PBS sketches. I Love When Loving Lovers Love.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bicyclops posted:

My memory is that he's just one joke, for the entirety of his run, and there's something about the makeup that limits Kevin Murphy's ability to do that one joke justice. I used to laugh a lot at the noise Brain Guy made when he was using his brain powers. I'm interested to see if I still do once I get back to him.

Kevin had a bit in one of the online Episode Guide entries for Season 8 that boiled down to "It is Hell being in the gorilla makeup."

Edit: Oh, God, the Sven & Ole joke is *beautiful*.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Joel just sent out a new update introducing us to the voice of the new Gypsy, Rebecca Hanson. This might be her first time in the spotlight; she came up through Second City and has been writing, singing, and doing improv in Chicago for ten years, but I can't find any of her work on YouTube, unless she also dabbles in politics.

Joel also shared some interesting thoughts he had about how Gypsy fits into the new show, and I gotta tell you -- I'm REALLY excited.

Looking her up quickly, she's done a ton of improvised musical comedy, which seems great. I know Gypsy isn't supposed to be snarky or good at singing, but I don't care if they change her so that she is to allow a talented performer to do some great skits with her. I wonder how the puppet stuff works when she's on the ceiling!

I have to give Joel credit. It really seems like he knew how to build some hype around things, and his vision for what needed to change and what needed to stay the same to keep the charm of the old show seems spot on.

e: Also, I just watched the Mike speaker scene and sort of found it funny, if only because of the context. They basically just sat through 20 minutes of that song in the terrible blob movie (which is probably so bad, not even riffing can save it), so his smiling, obvious insanity kind of builds up the humor. I dunno.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 28, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love Mike doing that bullshit CD marker nonsense too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

e: Also, I just watched the Mike speaker scene and sort of found it funny, if only because of the context. They basically just sat through 20 minutes of that song in the terrible blob movie (which is probably so bad, not even riffing can save it)

Nonsense, the Creeping Terror is one of the best episodes.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Bicyclops posted:

Looking her up quickly, she's done a ton of improvised musical comedy, which seems great.

yuck. blech

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think that given how long it's been since the show ended, this Crow, Servo, Gypsy, and Cambot may not 100 percent be the original ones in universe, but 2.0 models with the memories and basic personalities of the originals, but very different, and as a Gypsy fan, giving her more to do can only be a good thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

Oof. I found it to be kind of a snoozer as compared to the other 12 episodes I watched this week.

Haverchuck posted:

yuck. blech

It can be really funny! And fun!

Solaris Knight posted:

I think that given how long it's been since the show ended, this Crow, Servo, Gypsy, and Cambot may not 100 percent be the original ones in universe, but 2.0 models with the memories and basic personalities of the originals, but very different, and as a Gypsy fan, giving her more to do can only be a good thing.

That's kind of how I feel. It's like Doctor Who, they get different personalities while retaining some core memories and traits. And Gypsy gets funnier the less dopey she is.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wasnt her original concept "retarded dragon"? Could have sworn Joel mentioned that in a interview.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original robots have been living with Mike in Wisconsin (?) for 20 years. I'm sure the show will just start on the SOL with no explanation of anything other than how Jonah got there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Seriously. I still use some of these jokes regularly, especially "You have a kiiind face."

And Crow singing along with the song "Wah wah wah Wah-Wah!" or Servo singing "Yeah here's my torso".

I think that's why the Mike listening to the song sketch works for me. That drat song plays over and over again, and they throw so many jokes at it that to just sit and listen to it is it's own parody.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget there's a Creeping Terror documentary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7byOZHpY8

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pinwiz11 posted:

I love Mike doing that bullshit CD marker nonsense too.

Mind explaining that one for me? It didn't look like he was pretending to label it, so I assume it's a reference to some kind of audiophile placebo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

Don't forget there's a Creeping Terror documentary!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj7byOZHpY8
I keep meaning to watch that movie, because it looks pretty amazing.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Mind explaining that one for me? It didn't look like he was pretending to label it, so I assume it's a reference to some kind of audiophile placebo.
There was an weird belief ages ago that if you colored the back of a CD with a green marker, it'd improve the sound.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Just jumping into the thread, but any idea of the new movies that will be covered? They haven't already covered all the classics yet, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Olaf The Stout posted:

Just jumping into the thread, but any idea of the new movies that will be covered? They haven't already covered all the classics yet, right?

The full list was leaked a while ago if you are the sort of monster who wants to ruin Christmas morning.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jack Gladney posted:

The full list was leaked a while ago if you are the sort of monster who wants to ruin Christmas morning.

Did they say whether or not Netflix is going to drop the whole season at once?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think that's what everyone expects, although I can see them holding off on the Christmas episode until later in the year.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

I think that's what everyone expects, although I can see them holding off on the Christmas episode until later in the year.

With most shows, they seem to release holiday specials as a separate title, which is sort of confusing. Wouldn't be surprised if they went that route.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't even know why I'm so excited about the new season - it's not like I've seen every episode from the original run.

To me, MST3K is like the original Twilight Zone. There's a ton of episodes - a few that I have practically memorized, a majority that I've seen but only kind of remember, and a bunch that I've somehow never seen. And I'm so likely to put on an episode while doing other things, I'm likely to miss parts and therefore keep them fresh.

So really, whenever I want I can put on a MST3K that's new to me, so it doesn't make sense that I'm so excited for the new season.......BUT I AM!!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't even know why I'm so excited about the new season - it's not like I've seen every episode from the original run.

To me, MST3K is like the original Twilight Zone. There's a ton of episodes - a few that I have practically memorized, a majority that I've seen but only kind of remember, and a bunch that I've somehow never seen. And I'm so likely to put on an episode while doing other things, I'm likely to miss parts and therefore keep them fresh.

So really, whenever I want I can put on a MST3K that's new to me, so it doesn't make sense that I'm so excited for the new season.......BUT I AM!!

Because no matter how many episodes from how many seasons you've seen, you ain't never seen an MST3k like this.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm excited mostly because maybe my wife will be able to enjoy it with me. She's German and a few years younger and most of the jokes are dependent on you either being American or old enough to remember 90s pop culture.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm excited mostly because maybe my wife will be able to enjoy it with me. She's German and a few years younger and most of the jokes are dependent on you either being American or old enough to remember 90s pop culture.

Yeah, I think this is the part that excites me the most. MST3k is funny when you only understand half the jokes, so hopefully it's even better when you understand a larger portion of the jokes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, I think this is the part that excites me the most. MST3k is funny when you only understand half the jokes, so hopefully it's even better when you understand a larger portion of the jokes.

I just feel like there won't be as many Zappa references now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I know what you mean but part of the re-watchability of MST3k (for me at least) is getting jokes that you didn't before. Or a riff that that just sounded funny but then you realize it comes from some deep reference.
I don't remember the old MST3k having a lot of current (for the time) references but I might just be forgetting them. There's a certain timelessness to the riffs.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The one host segment I need a post-mortem for is "Joey the Lemur". It's so terrible that I can't take my eyes away from it. I need to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

SirPhoebos posted:

The one host segment I need a post-mortem for is "Joey the Lemur". It's so terrible that I can't take my eyes away from it. I need to know what they were thinking when they wrote it.

I love the Joey the Lemur sketch, it's completely deranged.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

There's an entry in the episode guide about it being poorly conceived, in that they placed it in the episode prior to Joey the Lemur's appearance in the film, and also Joey in the film isn't a lemur. Also his name is Joe.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I need more Zappa in my life

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaspy Conana posted:

Can she pronounce "Werewolf"?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I need more Zappa in my life

I was curious so I Googled. Though you might mike this.
http://cheesyflix.com/cheepnis/mstzap_1.html

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Ape of Naples posted:

I was curious so I Googled. Though you might mike this.
http://cheesyflix.com/cheepnis/mstzap_1.html

Apparently Frank Zappa was a huge fan and it was in the works that he would do a guest spot when he died. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I just watched Village of the Giants last night and the Zappa tribute touched my heart.