Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Never understood the artifact removal complain. There are Fragmentize and Natural state. They are one mana artifact removal spells.

Sorcery speed 1 for 1 removal is rarely good.

Both cards don't even hit all the artifacts you would want them to.

Red's artifact removal is also pretty poo poo because

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157828862678/care-to-explain-the-snapcaster-rarityshift#notes

Nobody believes this mark. It was better to simply not replied at all.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

I figured that was going to be downshifted to Uncommon.

That would have been cool and good

This is first really, really poo poo rare we've seen.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

What. Do you need to remove Marvel or skysovereign?
Anyway, Release the gremlins?

E: also

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 1, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Come on, seriously?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

What. Do you need to remove Marvel or skysovereign?
Anyway, Release the gremlins?

E: also

This reprint does nothing but completely destroy a draft, correct?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This reprint does nothing but completely destroy a draft, correct?

Correct. You put it in your white decks because the times where it rots in your opening hand, or where you draw it turn 1, 2, or 3, are outweighed by the times where you just draw it on the sixth turn and make three 4/4 fliers and win the game outright.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Correct. You put it in your white decks because the times where it rots in your opening hand, or where you draw it turn 1, 2, or 3, are outweighed by the times where you just draw it on the sixth turn and make three 4/4 fliers and win the game outright.

Even in this limited format, a 4/4 flier for 5 is probably still playable and it will scale up quite well anyways.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even in this limited format, a 4/4 flier for 5 is probably still playable and it will scale up quite well anyways.

serra angel seems okay

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011
Is this the set that they finally reprint Glimpse the Unthinkable? If it happens, Wizards will probably make the brilliant move of making it a mythic.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Marshal Sutcliffe has some preview cards that i'm sure everyone will enjoy playing against:

https://twitter.com/Marshall_LR/status/836856726133608454

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That new Momentary Blink art is pretty hilarious.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this set if nothing else looks like its gonna be a much more fun draft than MM15.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ah, I see Wizards is using the excellent set building technique of "add as many Avacyn Restored cards as possible"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

Ah, I see Wizards is using the excellent set building technique of "add as many Avacyn Restored cards as possible"

I'd have been okay if they reprinted Avacyn herself instead of Entreat the Angels.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

There's already two unconditional and efficient removal spells spoiled, which is two more than were in Avacyn Restored. But yeah, if the WU archetype is "blink" there's no real way to balance that - either they draw their 187 creatures and their blink effects and wildly thrash their opponent, or there's a bunch of efficient answers (like Lightning Bolt) so you try to Blink your Mist Raven, get it shocked in response, and you're out a bunch of tempo. Or the UB deck might actually get good counterspells and just counter your four mana 2/2s.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157828862678/care-to-explain-the-snapcaster-rarityshift#notes

Nobody believes this mark. It was better to simply not replied at all.

You know, I don't know who is dumber: Mark Rosewater for answering these questions as if he's the boss of all WotC and has the final say about all things Magic or the people that think he's that guy.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

I'd have been okay if they reprinted Avacyn herself instead of Entreat the Angels.

If they're going to print miracles then the only other options for white are terminus, which doesn't seem much if any better than entreat for limited, or completely worthless banishing stroke

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

UberJew posted:

If they're going to print miracles then the only other options for white are terminus, which doesn't seem much if any better than entreat for limited, or completely worthless banishing stroke

They don't have to reprint all the mythic Miracles. They could just print Temporal Mastery (because Time Walk) and Bonfire (because red has poo poo for mythic candidates and because Brian Kibler and LSV.)

There's plenty of other white cards to print over Terminus or Entreat, both of which were reprinted in very low value FTVs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Plus OG Avacyn doesn't seem a great fit, I doubt you could really play it in this limited format (although Unburial Rites seems like a distinct possiblity, but there are better targets I'm sure) and it's not super in demand for constructed outside EDH, and she was in that FTV.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If I ever find my cards from urza/invasion/odyssey, am I allowed to use them at a Friday night magic? I want to play again, but only have cards from 2011ish and late 90sish.

All I remember is windfall was banned, and I love that card.

Edited for getting the sets right.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 1, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

If I ever find my cards from urza/invasion/odyssey, am I allowed to use them at a Friday night magic? I want to play again, but only have cards from 2011ish and late 90sish.

Probably not unless your store does Legacy as its FNM format (which would be amazing)

If you want back in, figure out when your store does Draft or Sealed events and go to those. You'll end up building a deck to play with as part of the event.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Star Man posted:

You know, I don't know who is dumber: Mark Rosewater for answering these questions as if he's the boss of all WotC and has the final say about all things Magic or the people that think he's that guy.

I thought that for a while after I started because "Lead Designer" sounds authoritative, MaRo seems to be the one in charge, and he makes the really big announcements. Once I learned that his job is technically to be in charge of designing cards I became very, very confused why he's the one talking to the public. The guy seems to think that saying "we want to make money when we sell this set" is an answer no one will accept and it makes all his design justifications sound phony.

e:

ilmucche posted:

As previously stated, try drafting first unless you have a substantial collection of Legacy stuff and can build right into a deck. Otherwise if you eventually feel like playing constructed buy a deck in the best format: modern.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 1, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

People on the internet are really obtuse though. They want wizards to follow the secondary market and reprint cards that are expensive, but when wizards does something like reprinting snap at mythic (since they have to keep some cards expensive to keep selling packs in the future) everyone is like but but wizards i thought you don't follow the secondary market :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone complaining about this set should really find another hobby.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, this looks rad as hell to draft aside from entreat the angels.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

I don't think anyone in here is complaining about the set. Bob and Goyf both got shifted to mythic, it shouldn't be a surprise that Snappy did too.

I do think it's fair to bring up the dumb post hoc design justifications MaRo does for poo poo like this tho. Just say that it was consistent with that happened with the other modern staple bears and that you wanted the set to have value, or just don't answer at all.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, I understand they can't acknowledge the secondary market for legal reasons or whatever (although I don't really see why, it's their game), but I'd prefer them to just not comment on stuff like that instead of engaging in double-speak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bonus posted:

Yeah, I understand they can't acknowledge the secondary market for legal reasons or whatever (although I don't really see why, it's their game), but I'd prefer them to just not comment on stuff like that instead of engaging in double-speak.

I actually think he might be telling the truth... Snapcaster's price point really isn't that insane and hasn't been even going back a few years. They printed a card like Noble Hierarch at rare even though it's price has been consistently more than Snapcaster and will continue to be more even though it was last printed as a rare vs a mythic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You can love the set and still be annoyed by a few dumb moves.

Bonus posted:

People on the internet are really obtuse though. They want wizards to follow the secondary market and reprint cards that are expensive, but when wizards does something like reprinting snap at mythic (since they have to keep some cards expensive to keep selling packs in the future) everyone is like but but wizards i thought you don't follow the secondary market :(

People want WOTC to reprint cards they want to play with. Price mostly goes hand in hand with popularity. Printing snap at mythic is two steps forward one step back. Its in the right direction for sure.

While not having a reprint at all would have been worse, decreasing the amount of snapcasters printed in the set by 75% is not a irrelevant thing.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't think anyone in here is complaining about the set. Bob and Goyf both got shifted to mythic, it shouldn't be a surprise that Snappy did too.

I do think it's fair to bring up the dumb post hoc design justifications MaRo does for poo poo like this tho. Just say that it was consistent with that happened with the other modern staple bears and that you wanted the set to have value, or just don't answer at all.

Its just like with stoddard came out and said that feedback for standard was mostly positive. Probably should have just left that part out.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 1, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How much research into the current block would I need to draft? I'm not even remotely savvy as to what's come out in the past bunch of years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

You can love the set and still be annoyed by a few dumb moves.

People want WOTC to reprint cards they want to play with. Price mostly goes hand in hand with popularity. Printing snap at mythic is two steps forward one step back. Its in the right direction for sure.

While not having a reprint at all would have been worse, decreasing the amount of snapcasters printed in the set by 75% is not a irrelevant thing.

I don't think Snapcaster being a mythic in this set will have any real impact on it's price. It was 40 bucks a week ago. The new one is going to sell for 30 and that would be the case even if it was a rare.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I guess we can draft ISD-RTR standard decks. At least in theory.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ilmucche posted:

How much research into the current block would I need to draft? I'm not even remotely savvy as to what's come out in the past bunch of years.

Not a whole lot, if you're at an FNM the skill levels can range from "knows every card in the set and pick order" to "picking cards that look cool". If you want to learn about the set (and modern limited strategy in general) to some degree before drafting it, the Limited Resources podcast is really good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Snapcaster being a mythic in this set will have any real impact on it's price. It was 40 bucks a week ago. The new one is going to sell for 30 and that would be the case even if it was a rare.

While price memory is a thing, no, decreasing production of the card by 75% would affect what the price would have been pretty substantially.

I really do love the set. I genuinlly hope that this prints so much loving money for WOTC that it opens eyes at board meetings and someone that makes decisions will decide these sets need to happen more often. Modern and EDH can be a cash cow if you loving make products people want to buy.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

ThePeavstenator posted:

...it was consistent with that happened with the other modern staple bears...

Stone Forge Mystic and Young Pyromancer confirmed mythic in Eternal Masters 2

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

While price memory is a thing, no, decreasing production of the card by 75% would affect what the price would have been pretty substantially.

I really do love the set. I genuinlly hope that this prints so much loving money for WOTC that it opens eyes at board meetings and someone that makes decisions will decide these sets need to happen more often. Modern and EDH can be a cash cow if you loving make products people want to buy.

I keep coming back to Hierarch. It's a 50 dollar card now. Do you think it would really be much more than that if it was a Mythic in MM15?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I suspect that if this set sells really well beyond one print run, we will magically see higher-level Modern events re-materialize.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I keep coming back to Hierarch. It's a 50 dollar card now. Do you think it would really be much more than that if it was a Mythic in MM15?

Yes? Help me understand how this isn't obvious. Not trying to to hurl poo poo at you, but I am having a hard time understanding what part of this could be more clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Yes? Help me understand how this isn't obvious. Not trying to to hurl poo poo at you, but I am having a hard time understanding what part of this could be more clear.

So the MM15 "Mythic Hierarch" would be more expensive than the Conflux one that is also 50 bucks?

• Locked thread