Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

cis autodrag posted:

this sounds great, especially if i am allowed to drink at the same time.

i am going to be in chicago for the lady gaga concert at wrigely this year, we should have a goonmeet.

One of my teammates used a wiffle bat as a beer bong sooooo

and yeah definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Poque posted:

and yeah definitely

Even though I'd probably forgo that particular aspect this sounds like The Best League.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

does your teammate have mouth herpes now? i cant even bring myself to share a soda can with a friend, im so grossed out now.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

Technically atoms never touch so can one truly ever be "out"?

The ball is never in the glove, but the runner is never on the base.

Going to replay could change the outcome so the call stands.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

does your teammate have mouth herpes now? i cant even bring myself to share a soda can with a friend, im so grossed out now.

You live every day of your life awash in sea of bacteria just like everyone else

What I'm saying is, put your mouth on the wiffle bat and chill

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Baseball umps refuse to throw out base stealers because of Zeno's Paradox

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 1, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joey Freshwater posted:

and like everyone I've ever had as my avatar, expect Dansby to immediately start sucking or get traded.

My previous avatars include Corey Patterson, Matt Murton, and Devin Hester, so welcome to the club! :hfive:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My previous avatars include Corey Patterson, Matt Murton, and Devin Hester, so welcome to the club! :hfive:

Why couldn't Corey be good?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TMMadman posted:

Why couldn't Corey be good?

Because I bought his jersey after his rookie season.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah Francoeur was the other one I had after that amazing start he had.

Whoops.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

A pool for the Dodgers to jump in when they clinch. How thoughtful.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rand alPaul posted:

A pool for the Dodgers to jump in when they clinch. How thoughtful.

Am I the only one who wants a floating baseball so a game could be played in that?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/836930840231829504

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Am I the only one who wants a floating baseball so a game could be played in that?

Baseballs float

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

All this is going to do is lead to fewer overturned calls, including plenty of cases where the evidence is fairly clear but the Umps in NYC can't convince themselves because of whatever dumb minutia.

Good, the only calls that should be overturned are the ones that are blatantly wrong

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

Baseballs float

It would get waterlogged eventually.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I knew Mike Trout has been good, but I didn't know he's been Mickey Mantle good over his first 6 years. Let's just hope he doesn't develop knee and drinking problems.

https://twitter.com/zabate/status/836953950964355072/photo/1

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Maybe it's because I'm an NL/Cubs fan but it seems like people don't talk about Mike Trout enough. I suspect if he didn't play for the Angels and maybe had a cooler last name than "Trout" he would be more well-known. I mean right there, "Mickey Mantle" vs. "Mike Trout" c'mon.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

beejay posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an NL/Cubs fan but it seems like people don't talk about Mike Trout enough. I suspect if he didn't play for the Angels and maybe had a cooler last name than "Trout" he would be more well-known. I mean right there, "Mickey Mantle" vs. "Mike Trout" c'mon.

Someone pointed out last night on twitter that the MLB instagram account has posted more about tim tebow this week than they have about Mike Trout in three months.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My wife is letting me convert the bonus room to a bit of a man cave, and I want to watch baseball there. For those of you who use the MLB.TV apps, what are your thoughts on it? Any devices in particular that are better, or does it not matter between Apple TV/Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Your Taint posted:

I knew Mike Trout has been good, but I didn't know he's been Mickey Mantle good over his first 6 years. Let's just hope he doesn't develop knee and drinking problems.

https://twitter.com/zabate/status/836953950964355072/photo/1
Just a reminder that Mike Trout is only 25 years old.

I want to see him go 50-50 one year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

My wife is letting me convert the bonus room to a bit of a man cave, and I want to watch baseball there. For those of you who use the MLB.TV apps, what are your thoughts on it? Any devices in particular that are better, or does it not matter between Apple TV/Chromecast/Amazon Fire/Roku?

I use Amazon Fire TV (not stick) for mine and think it's great. The interface is clean and easy to navigate and I haven't had any problem getting HD feeds.

That said I haven't tried it vs. the others. I have chrome cast and barely use it for anything because I don't like using my phone to control it, so take that for what it's worth.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Omne posted:

It's been my experience that it's different on every single platform you try. I've used Apple TV and Chromecast out of those two and I like Chromecast better, but that's mainly because I am not a fan of the Apple TV interface.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Omne posted:

I have watched it on my browser and on my iPhone 6s. 6s has better frame rate but don't know if that can be cast properly to a TV and keep the frame rate or not.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Omne posted:

I think it's largely personal UI preference, but I love the Apple TV app.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

beejay posted:

MLB does a terrible job of marketing him in the least. It's ridiculous. The Angels as a team don't help things, but still, the NFL has stars on lovely teams.

Omne posted:

I always recommend Chromecast because you can stream anything that will open in a web browser to it, you don't have to worry about a native app or anything.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most non-baseball fans are unaware there are at least two and possibly three greatest-of-all-time candidates currently in or about to enter their prime years. I'd bet Messi/Ronaldo are better known in the US today than Trout which is just un-American.

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.
It is bizarre to me that Mike Trout is only 25 and is already demonstrably one of the best players to have ever played the game, the dude has two MVPs and three second-place finishes in those five years, and people barely care the same way they do about, say, LeBron

It doesn't help that he's kind of bland though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Actaully Ted Berg just wrote an article about Trout's relative obscurity that does a good job of pointing out that it's a logical outcome which stems from a few causes, some dumb but some just intrinsic to the game.

It also includes a fun activity idea for all of us

quote:

I happen to believe that it’s every baseball fan’s solemn responsibility to do everything in his or her power to spread the gospel of Mike Trout’s greatness, and that everyone currently reading this article should put down his phone or step away from her computer and begin shouting “Mike Trout!” repeatedly until the name “Mike Trout” itself becomes the world’s most recognizable phrase, as a salutation and an exclamation and an interjection.

Also in this vein, I asked my non-baseball-fan friend to name 5 active players and she said:
  • Bartolo Colon
  • Manny Texieria
  • Bryce (he has a beard)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 1, 2017

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

IMB posted:

Someone pointed out last night on twitter that the MLB instagram account has posted more about tim tebow this week than they have about Mike Trout in three months.

Good god

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I went to a Trout vs Kershaw game last year :smug:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

beejay posted:

It's mainly because MLB is poo poo at promoting its stars.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB does a terrible job of marketing him in the least. It's ridiculous. The Angels as a team don't help things, but still, the NFL has stars on lovely teams.

As does the NBA, and the NHL, and pretty much any other major sport. Baseball is just terrible at marketing their players in general. And then when Harper tried to self promote himself last year, he got completely and utterly poo poo on from every direction. Guys like Kershaw/Harper/Trout/Bryant/etc should be plastered everywhere as the faces of the brand.

Der Meister posted:

I went to a Trout vs Kershaw game last year :smug:

My roommate and I are going to drive down to see an Angel's game this year, the only reason being we realized that neither of us had ever seen Mike Trout in person and it was our duty as baseball fans to go at least once so we could say we saw one of the best players of all time in their prime.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Phonoxen posted:

It is bizarre to me that Mike Trout is only 25 and is already demonstrably one of the best players to have ever played the game, the dude has two MVPs and three second-place finishes in those five years, and people barely care the same way they do about, say, LeBron

It doesn't help that he's kind of bland though

Trout has only played on terrible teams, is not a huge personality, and plays a sport where the one guy can swing a team the least out of every major sport.

Even the way he dominates the game is kind of boring. He is great to amazing at nearly everything baseball related, but he doesn't do anything incredibly remarkable or amazing. He has great power, not historically great power. He plays great defense, but not historically great, he's a great baserunner, but... you get the picture.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Somehow I forgot that "Mr. Go" was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCB5eTyp58

The KBO is so much better than MLB it's ridiculous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

It's mainly because MLB is poo poo at promoting its stars.

It's two pronged:

Baseball culture intentionally subdues personalities. We all agree this is stupid and counterproductive, but even if you're boring you can be a star that transcends the sport, like Derek Jeter did. However...

If you don't win, nobody gives a gently caress about you. Jeter was dry toast, but he has a ring for every finger on one hand. The NFL even has this in Tom Brady.

Sydin posted:

As does the NBA, and the NHL, and pretty much any other major sport. Baseball is just terrible at marketing their players in general. And then when Harper tried to self promote himself last year, he got completely and utterly poo poo on from every direction. Guys like Kershaw/Harper/Trout/Bryant/etc should be plastered everywhere as the faces of the brand.

MLB is pushing Rizzo and Bryant pretty hard, which I think is good since they're young handsome fellas who clearly have fun playing the game. Maybe they're learning?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Baseball in general is not a great outlet for showcasing how good of an athlete someone is. I mean, if you watch regularly, you'd know, but the opportunities to do something freakishly athletic come way less frequently than in football or basketball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

MLB is pushing Rizzo and Bryant pretty hard, which I think is good since they're young handsome fellas who clearly have fun playing the game. Maybe they're learning?

And hey, one guys even has an actual personality!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is because mike trout has no discernible personality and looks like a fire hydrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
A lot of Trout's greatness is due to incredible consistency and that's really hard to get across to casual or non-MLB fans. If you watch a Pats game you're pretty likely to see Brady throw for a couple of TDs, if you watch the Cavs you'll probably see LeBron put up 20 points, but if you're watching the Angels on any given night you'll probably see Trout go 1-4 with a couple of routine outfield plays, and that just doesn't scream "great player" in the same way.

• Locked thread