Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BilldeBlasio/status/834195949450846208

make sure every one who knows anyone who is voting reads this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/834242482821066752

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dicere posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of the best tutorials for NGP VAN/DNC Votebuilder/MiniVAN?

Just did some phonebanking for a town hall meeting and the lists are terrible. I guess NGP dumped a bunch of new data on them and they regained a lot of bad numbers the election phonebanks filteted out. I guess nobody exported the refined data?

They need someone with a little more technical acumen.

Don't know any tutorials, but if you get good at the VAN you will have a great volunteering job that doesn't involve knocking on doors or making phone calls.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Some motherfucker beat me to becoming precinct chair!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

blue squares posted:

Blue squares would have won

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Blue squares would have won

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

blue squares posted:

yeah yeah blame the bernei brwos

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Went to the second monthly meeting last night.

We had actually more turnout than January. By like half again, I think. Ran out of seats and several people ended up leaning against furniture.

I signed up for Arizona's Request To Speak system, so with the help of some of the local people like the secretary I'm going to be registering my opinions on a lot of upcoming bills here.

Also I guess I'm probably going to be a PC. When I pointed out where I lived on the map, everyone was excited in the sense of "oh, great, we have like no one out that way". In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be meeting with one of our people to discuss what that would entail and what would be expected.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/WSJPolitics/status/834442195050590210

keep it up :shobon:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ZeeToo posted:

Went to the second monthly meeting last night.

We had actually more turnout than January. By like half again, I think. Ran out of seats and several people ended up leaning against furniture.

I signed up for Arizona's Request To Speak system, so with the help of some of the local people like the secretary I'm going to be registering my opinions on a lot of upcoming bills here.

Also I guess I'm probably going to be a PC. When I pointed out where I lived on the map, everyone was excited in the sense of "oh, great, we have like no one out that way". In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be meeting with one of our people to discuss what that would entail and what would be expected.

Glad to hear you're fitting in.

The PC role is what you make it. Don't worry about failing to meet your responsibilities, if you simply show up to most meetings and make an effort to get to County meetings you'll be in the top 50% of PCs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Whoo I'm not the only pc who became a pc by default :toot:

if I meet any other democrats in my district I'll throw a bbq on fourth of July on the cracked concrete slab behind my apartment that's pretty much all I can come up v:v:v

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

Whoo I'm not the only pc who became a pc by default :toot:

if I meet any other democrats in my district I'll throw a bbq on fourth of July on the cracked concrete slab behind my apartment that's pretty much all I can come up v:v:v

I am also a PC who slid into his spot via apathy! I'm hoping to ride this upswell all the way to my first of many stunning losses in local elections come 2018

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wow, that's great. Heard about the WA Dem chair race last month, glad to hear they were successful

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Hearing those centrist assholes wringing their hands and wining about the possibility of primary challenges makes my blood boil. Those fuckers act like their whole coalition hadn't just collapsed in on itself like a popped boil. Trump didn't win, Clinton lost, and you don't get to talk about what a disaster a left Tea Party would be when the right Tea Party just bodied you.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I got yelled at on Facebook for not respecting Feinstein :lol:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I got yelled at on Facebook for not respecting Feinstein :lol:

Who RESPECTS Feinstein? She's been a "fuckin' goddamnit lady" senator for about 2 decades.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grondoth posted:

Who RESPECTS Feinstein? She's been a "fuckin' goddamnit lady" senator for about 2 decades.

Longer than that:
http://archives.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2014/11/04/35-years-ago-today-jello-biafra-came-in-fourth-in-the-sf-mayoral-race

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Few updates!

8:15 tomorrow (Thursday Night) night, Lakoff's Don't Think of an Elephant Part 2! I'll be reading it in the discord channel, discussion will be in "reading and philosophy" and the "reading-rainbow" voice channel will have the reading itself.

Other than that just personal update stuff. I don't know how much I've really been accomplishing politically, but man this has been great for my social life. Getting invited to political events, social events, church events, and even found someone on my street that invites a good chunk of the neighbourhood leftist community over for spaghetti dinner every wednesday night. There were more people there than at the DTC meeting! Starting to run into familiar faces across situations too, so that's interesting.

Despite the logistical hurdles of having a toddler, kids really are great at breaking the ice in social terms. I'm still hellishly bad at remembering who anyone else is, but at least now everyone is remember me, you know?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I made nametags for everyone in my legislative district. Makes it easier on me and everyone thinks I'm the bees knees.

One of the best canvassers in my area, before she moved, was a young woman who had two kids. She'd go knock on doors with her kids in tow, people were much more likely to open the door and talk politics.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am, right now, seated and waiting for my Rep's town hall to begin.

He is Ro Khanna, a liberal representative from a liberal part of California. I'm probably to his left, but this isn't like if I was going to see Chaffetz or something. He and I will largely agree, so I am having trouble coming up with questions.

Any suggestions for questions or comments I might state?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idk ur local politics but (this is a guess cause u said california) how can u stop the illegal exploitation of immigrant workers and ensure that they can legally work in america for a livable wage

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Ask him about getting tech money out of local elections. That'll rile him up.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am, right now, seated and waiting for my Rep's town hall to begin.

He is Ro Khanna, a liberal representative from a liberal part of California. I'm probably to his left, but this isn't like if I was going to see Chaffetz or something. He and I will largely agree, so I am having trouble coming up with questions.

Any suggestions for questions or comments I might state?

Why did you feel it necessary to run against Mike Honda?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Alright, so I've been going to my area's DNC party for the past two months.

I think I'm the only one under fifty, and forty, and thirty.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I got to pose a live question to my representative (Ro Khanna).

Paraphrased:

"Will you commit, in front of all of us (~500 attending), to supporting a national $15 minimum wage?

Even if it fails in this Congress, in the next election I want to be able to say 'Democrats fight for $15 while Republicans fight to take away your healthcare'".

He responded with an enthusiastic yes, then went on to say he also supports increasing the Earned Income Tax Credit to give a trillion dollars directly to low paid workers instead of the proposed tax cut for people earning six figures.

Leftie California owns.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Got back from a town hall earlier, I told Steve Glazer (CA state senator who wants to make it illegal for the BART union to strike) to his face that he's the kind of Democrat that's driving me away from the party, I don't know if it was helpful or not but I felt good about it

There's gonna be another one in a week, I hope he remembers me

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Hey sweet, my question to Ro Khanna made a local newspaper:

East Bay Times posted:

After Khanna said he supports a $15 minimum wage in response to a question, he doubled down on his idea that Democrats must be more bold in their actions.

He said he will be proposing a bill that would massively expand the earned-income tax credit to the tune of $1 trillion to help low- and moderate-income families, something he described as in contrast with “conventional” Democratic ideas, which would only offer a $60 billion expansion.
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/02/23/khanna-says-democrats-must-be-more-far-more-bold-at-first-town-hall/

Attend your town halls and ask questions, folks. Hell, someone go to your local town hall and ask "Will you support Ro Khanna's effort to increase the EITC by 1 trillion dollars?"

Chimp_On_Stilts has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Feb 24, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Just a reminder - now more than ever it's important to get involved, stay active, and take over.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Just a reminder - now more than ever it's important to get involved, stay active, and take over.

Federal level dnc politics mean nothing to what goes on in your back yard, get active stay active

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Lemming posted:

Got back from a town hall earlier, I told Steve Glazer (CA state senator who wants to make it illegal for the BART union to strike) to his face that he's the kind of Democrat that's driving me away from the party, I don't know if it was helpful or not but I felt good about it

There's gonna be another one in a week, I hope he remembers me

You almost won an election, I'm sure he'll remember you.

I mean I think. I donno.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
The establishment is expecting all the progressives getting involved to just get bored and go home fwiw

don't do that

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

LinYutang posted:

The establishment is expecting all the progressives getting involved to just get bored and go home fwiw

don't do that

Erie county hasn't had a free event since their whole room they moved to cause there was too many people who came got filled to the brim and everyone was standing and they ran out of signup sheets for chairpeople/voter outreach. It's all been 50 bux+ fundraisers yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Erie county hasn't had a free event since their whole room they moved to cause there was too many people who came got filled to the brim and everyone was standing and they ran out of signup sheets for chairpeople/voter outreach. It's all been 50 bux+ fundraisers yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Hold some free events of your own.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Hold some free events of your own.

Totally. There are rules that govern the organization of your local party, we can help you figure them out.
In the meantime, if you organize in parallel, you might be able to get the numbers you need to take over.
Best case, they're clueless and they'll love you. Worst case, you'll have to oust them.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm getting involved in some stuff in my area (south central MN) and I joined the Discord channel to ask questions, but it looks like I need to be verified. I set my nickname there to be the same as my SA username, and so I'm hoping that someone here can verify me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Today I finally had lunch with the chair of georgia's 12th district. he's gonna hook me up with a list of known democratic voters and we're gonna try and get them together to restart the party in my county. the guy who usually runs as a democrat for our state representative seat is a shady poo poo bag who pockets the money from the state party and then doesn't run, so we're gonna look at ways to disrupt his bullshit. the chair is a 70 year old man and most of the people he mentioned are also older folks. getting younger people involved is like my #1 priority right now

also, it turns out that the woman who ran for congress for my district, patricia mccracken, was literally an 80-year-old woman with alzheimers who was put on the ballot and won the primary because everyone just voted for the person at the top of the list. the lady who ran against her had yard signs and campaigned all over the district but lost because people are too fuckin lazy to research the people they're voting for. that's disheartening as poo poo, but gently caress it i guess

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Serf posted:

also, it turns out that the woman who ran for congress for my district, patricia mccracken, was literally an 80-year-old woman with alzheimers who was put on the ballot and won the primary because everyone just voted for the person at the top of the list. the lady who ran against her had yard signs and campaigned all over the district but lost because people are too fuckin lazy to research the people they're voting for. that's disheartening as poo poo, but gently caress it i guess

That's sad as hell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fiction posted:

Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

Pretty sure if you are a registered Democrat you get to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty sure if you are a registered Democrat you get to vote.

lol where did you hear that

• Locked thread