Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress you password policy! if my old password was good enough, my new password + an extra character is good enough!

PASSWORD INVALID
This password is invalid for one of the following reasons:
Passwords must not contain more than 4 repeating characters
Passwords must not contain your User or Client ID.
Passwords must not contain a matching String of 4 consecutive characters from the old password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Polio Vax Scene posted:

gently caress you password policy! if my old password was good enough, my new password + an extra character is good enough!

PASSWORD INVALID
Passwords must not contain a matching String of 4 consecutive characters from the old password.

How does that policy work unless the system saves the password someone where? Or at the very least it's saved in a manner that be de-encrypted, right?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I think it reads the current form, it has old password, new password, repeat new password inputs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I think it reads the current form, it has old password, new password, repeat new password inputs.

That would be my guess as well, if can validate your current old password entered matches the one-way hashed password, and it has it in plain text because you just told the form what it was so I could validate it. Then you can do whatever you want with the plaintext password, which is a really elegant way of doing it, if true.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The most infuriating is when different departments at the same company all mandate different and incompatible password requirements.

Special characters over here but not over there being the most common. :fuckoff:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Polio Vax Scene posted:

PASSWORD INVALID

Poor thing, you can't use hunter3.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Polio Vax Scene posted:

D'oh didn't think of that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How does that policy work unless the system saves the password someone where? Or at the very least it's saved in a manner that be de-encrypted, right?

If their company is like my company, they do save all the passwords somewhere, regardless of how many times I tell them that's a terrible idea.

We have to cycle our passwords every month. Each time I do it, I try setting it to the first password I ever used to see if they're still holding onto it. It's been about a year and a half and I still can't use my first password, meaning it's just sitting somewhere.

I've tried explaining that cycling passwords that often isn't even very secure, considering most people are just going to do poo poo like 'password1, password2, password3' but the business people like being able to tell auditors 'our entire company cycles passwords every month!'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're trying to re-use an identical password, they're just hanging on to the old hash.

If you change one letter on an ancient password and it still complains, then yeah, there's probably a security WTF going on in there somewhere.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

If you're trying to re-use an identical password, they're just hanging on to the old hash.

If you change one letter on an ancient password and it still complains, then yeah, there's probably a security WTF going on in there somewhere.
It is insanely simple to check the text of the "Enter your old password" field without hashing, which is the same method they use to check if your new password meets complexity requirements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

anthonypants posted:

It is insanely simple to check the text of the "Enter your old password" field without hashing, which is the same method they use to check if your new password meets complexity requirements.

I understand that, I read the thread. I'm talking about them checking against ancient passwords that are 2+ password changes into history.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Today I found out that an SQL server is reachable via the internet.

Devs were more concerned about being able to access it at home than "if this server is compromised the company will no longer exist due to litigation".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Polio Vax Scene posted:

No wait, I don't conceed this. Checking against the entire password via hashing makes sense, but how does matching against your encrypted password tell you consecutive characters but not the entire thing? I don't see how that works.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No wait, I don't conceed this. Checking against the entire password via hashing makes sense, but how does matching against your encrypted password tell you consecutive characters but not the entire thing? I don't see how that works.

You have to type your old password in plaintext, then your new one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hash 4 consecutive characters of an n length password for n-3 extra hashes to store, assuming this was done from the beginning of your passwords.

... or store the password reversably :eng99:

Its pretty dumb and dramatically reduces the complexity you have to solve (even when properly salt/peppered), but it's possible to do this for older passwords.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 1, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You are all vastly over complicating this. Most require you to put your old password in when you change to a new one. That's how that type of validation is done.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You are all vastly over complicating this. Most require you to put your old password in when you change to a new one. That's how that type of validation is done.

Please change your password!
Enter current password:
Enter new password:
Re-enter new password:

Check the old one's hash to make sure you're actually authorized to make the change, then check the typed old one against the new one to determine how much they match. No storing reversible passwords or hash fuckery necessary.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I must be in the matrix because I'm seeing stuff repeat constantly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

you ate my cat posted:

Please change your password!
Enter current password:
Enter new password:
Re-enter new password:

Check the old one's hash to make sure you're actually authorized to make the change, then check the typed old one against the new one to determine how much they match. No storing reversible passwords or hash fuckery necessary.

Yes? That's kinda what I said. It's trivial to check for substring overlap with the previous password if you are required to submit it as part of a change.

Now, if it's matching against a substring of 2+ passwords ago, then something odd is up.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Sorry, I was agreeing with you, and I totally didn't make that clear at all.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Today, in no particular order: Quickbooks, TeamViewer, Apple ID.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got blindsided and dragged into a meeting by several managers an hour ago. This is about scans from lovely other site that fucks everything up. The scans all have problems some are extremely dark others are blurry messes. I get asked why the scanner has been this bad for 2 months. This is the first I've heard of it and ask why they took until now and they assumed I was aware.

No one there speaks English but I send an email out in English and CC the site contact trying to get some info on why no one has been notified so it can get translated to Spanish and maybe someone will run it through Google Translate (running it through Google Translate before sending it is seen as rude). No one knows where site contact is, but someone else gets an interesting scan. You can clearly see a keyboard under the paper. I ask for the scan files, yup they are using their cellphones it's in the metadata.

The scanner is attached to a dedicated computer because it's not networked (this was purchased by the site and I was asked to help get it working). I remote into the computer, scanner looks connected, scan folder is empty, they delete stuff after they retrieve it because multiple files confuses them apparently. I'm just pissed no one notified me of a problem with the scanner, or that they have a perfectly working scanner and are too lazy to walk up to it and produce readable documents. I'll buy them a network scanner if that's what it takes they should have a network scanner anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Condolences if you have to deal with Apple IDs at work.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Today, in no particular order: Quickbooks, TeamViewer, Apple ID.

What's wrong with TV?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Samizdata posted:

What's wrong with TV?

Among other things, the ability for users to update the clients to 12.x when we're still only licensed for 11.x, meaning we can't connect to them due to incompatibility between those versions. Yes, I know end-users shouldn't have the capability to update/install anything, but that's a separate piece of poo poo-that-pisses-me-off.

Thanks Ants posted:

Condolences if you have to deal with Apple IDs at work.

One of our customers has a plethora of iPhones and iPads, and one of my predecessors decided that instead of using Apple MDM, he'd just have everyone sign into each device with the same. loving. Account. As stupid as that sounds, a couple years ago it wasn't a huge problem, but then Apple changed the way iCloud device syncing worked in regards to messages and phone calls and contacts and god DAMNIT it was a shitshow for a while.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Among other things, the ability for users to update the clients to 12.x when we're still only licensed for 11.x, meaning we can't connect to them due to incompatibility between those versions. Yes, I know end-users shouldn't have the capability to update/install anything, but that's a separate piece of poo poo-that-pisses-me-off.

One of our customers has a plethora of iPhones and iPads, and one of my predecessors decided that instead of using Apple MDM, he'd just have everyone sign into each device with the same. loving. Account. As stupid as that sounds, a couple years ago it wasn't a huge problem, but then Apple changed the way iCloud device syncing worked in regards to messages and phone calls and contacts and god DAMNIT it was a shitshow for a while.

Suck. Sorry about that. There should be a settings lockout for that.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

MiniFoo posted:

This was me for a school district :gonk: Apple totally dicked me over multiple times w/r/t iPad management

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MiniFoo posted:

Can confirm, this has been an issue going back to at least TV8.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

We use teamviewer host pushed out via GPO to avoid that. However we still have some external clients with no domain infrastructure where this can be an issue.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Varkk posted:

We use teamviewer host pushed out via GPO to avoid that. However we still have some external clients with no domain infrastructure where this can be an issue.

Why the gently caress would you use Team viewer? What a horrible secfuck waiting to happen.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

Why the gently caress would you use Team viewer? What a horrible secfuck waiting to happen.

At an MSP, it's a relatively cheap way to use a simple program that even users can figure out. For a while we had a website where they could just download a one use one way client. Then internal systems put a new version of that up before help desk had a license for the new version.... we use Kaseya for the most part now. Probably more secure, and requires no intervention from the user for us to remote in.

Except for a few clients that have a prompt on the remote computer asking for access that some users always hit no on, even though YOU ARE LITERALLY ON THE PHONE TELLING THEM YOU ARE REMOTING IN

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

MANime in the sheets posted:

At an MSP, it's a relatively cheap way to use a simple program that even users can figure out. For a while we had a website where they could just download a one use one way client. Then internal systems put a new version of that up before help desk had a license for the new version.... we use Kaseya for the most part now. Probably more secure, and requires no intervention from the user for us to remote in.

Except for a few clients that have a prompt on the remote computer asking for access that some users always hit no on, even though YOU ARE LITERALLY ON THE PHONE TELLING THEM YOU ARE REMOTING IN

And if it was some rando request they'd hit yes on it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

It's a relatively cheap way to get a bunch of data stolen. It's a god awful idea to pass your/a client's desktop over to a third party server. No way no how gigantic infosec fuckup.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
We run the Kaseya servers in house

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Was there ever a resolution to the teamviewer hack?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It was a bunch of people using the same email address/pass combo for LinkedIn and teamviewer. Coupled with some malware bundling it for remote access on victims around the same time.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

lampey posted:

Was there ever a resolution to the teamviewer hack?

No idea. Last I heard, TV was saying they were not hacked, that it was people reusing passwords and stuff. Though that was the time we sort of moved away from it and only use it as a backup now.

Edit: ^^well there you go.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We use Teamviewer to support our clients, how the gently caress else am I gonna be able to have a end user start a program while on a call and get to their desktop? I give them a link to download our QS and they give me the ID, done.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

We use Teamviewer to support our clients, how the gently caress else am I gonna be able to have a end user start a program while on a call and get to their desktop? I give them a link to download our QS and they give me the ID, done.
The TeamViewer persistent service is different from the TeamViewer QuickSupport app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

anthonypants posted:

The TeamViewer persistent service is different from the TeamViewer QuickSupport app.

QuickSupport is what I was talking about.