Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Anyone want to buy an f4i :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I'm on the waiting list for that same surgery and know plenty of people with major spine trauma in their history; have you considered either tailoring your existing bike to your requirements (handlebar conversion, bar risers, extra padding in seat, rear-sets on lowest position) or moving to a bike with better ergos for you (cycle-ergo.com), rather than giving up the hobby/lifestyle altogether?

I have a bad back but enjoy ridiculous bikes, so rather than buy supersports I couldn't comfortably ride, I've stuck to hoon bikes with good ergos (sumos, B-King, and now streetfightered R1). Don't give up!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Isolationist posted:

I'm on the waiting list for that same surgery and know plenty of people with major spine trauma in their history; have you considered either tailoring your existing bike to your requirements (handlebar conversion, bar risers, extra padding in seat, rear-sets on lowest position) or moving to a bike with better ergos for you (cycle-ergo.com), rather than giving up the hobby/lifestyle altogether?

I have a bad back but enjoy ridiculous bikes, so rather than buy supersports I couldn't comfortably ride, I've stuck to hoon bikes with good ergos (sumos, B-King, and now streetfightered R1). Don't give up!

Thanks for the kind words :) I will re-evaluate after the healing period and see how it goes. I will more than likely buy a very upright bike if I ever really ride again, but between my area being an awful place for riding (SE michigan, basically graph paper roads) and my back being a total nightmare, there isnt much point in holding onto what I have for this season. I may move to a more rural area sometime in the next year though.

If you have a few minutes to chat about lovely backs, PM me. I am curious what your experiences have been and how similar they are to mine.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flint Ironstag posted:

I (finally) catch up to the thread, and the last post was 9 days ago? My rant is not enough ranting!

OK, I lied. My real rant is screwing up my back, just a few weeks after buying my ZX14. This bike is amazing, and not just for the power.

I do all my complaining in the AI thread because this thread is slower. Literally part of the problem.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My back problems haven't required surgery, yet, and I'm fortunate that nothing feels better than spending an hour on my bike.

PCOS Bill posted:

I do all my complaining in the AI thread because this thread is slower. Literally part of the problem.

You should rant about being a caged rider.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

My back problems haven't required surgery, yet, and I'm fortunate that nothing feels better than spending an hour on my bike.

I have a lot of hip issues in addition to my poo poo disc, and riding actually loosens up my hips pretty well. If my lower back wasnt a problem I would probably find riding mostly therapeutic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

I have a lot of hip issues in addition to my poo poo disc, and riding actually loosens up my hips pretty well. If my lower back wasnt a problem I would probably find riding mostly therapeutic.

My issue is in the sacrum, so yeah, more of a hip issue than a back one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Too dumb for the question thread - I recently started riding on a new (to me) freeway, and it's pretty lovely. There are bumps/ridges that are evenly spaced, for some reason they make me think the bike is going to get in some kind of feedback loop and freak out. It's never felt weird at all, so I'm assuming I'm just weirding myself out for no reason, or is this actually a thing? It's been bugging me more than the really lovely parts which are probably much more likely to cause a problem.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

Too dumb for the question thread - I recently started riding on a new (to me) freeway, and it's pretty lovely. There are bumps/ridges that are evenly spaced, for some reason they make me think the bike is going to get in some kind of feedback loop and freak out. It's never felt weird at all, so I'm assuming I'm just weirding myself out for no reason, or is this actually a thing? It's been bugging me more than the really lovely parts which are probably much more likely to cause a problem.

just stay loose man

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

I have a lot of hip issues in addition to my poo poo disc, and riding actually loosens up my hips pretty well.

I don't have pm on my account but I have some orthopaedic experience. I am happy to chat about backs fwitw

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Trambopaline posted:

I don't have pm on my account but I have some orthopaedic experience. I am happy to chat about backs fwitw

Sure man, hit me up paint.vagrant@gmail.com

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

just stay loose man

I figured that was that was the answer, thanks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Donald Trump is whining that Harley Davidson doesn't sell enough bikes overseas because the rest of the world isn't fair to them. :qq:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Harley-Davidsons seem to be extremely popular overseas among the people who can afford them, which is almost no one.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
#notmycheeto

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Harley-Davidsons seem to be extremely popular overseas among the people who can afford them, which is almost no one.

He seems to be inferring that tariffs are the problem. I didn't realize we had tariffs driving up the cost here in the United States.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least over here, harleys are brutally expensive. A reasonably high spec bagger or softy costs more than a R1200GS, more than a panigale or S1000RR. Import tax is the same for every brand so...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

He seems to be inferring that tariffs are the problem. I didn't realize we had tariffs driving up the cost here in the United States.

Well, surely the best way to reduce those tariffs is by backing out of trade agreements and hammering every other country with protectionist tariffs of our own.

I'm not a free-market pro-globalist by any means but even I recognize how the economy works.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Everybody rides Harleys here in Europe, I think they're less common that KTM or Ducati here in the Netherlands. They're top 10 selling bikes in Germany.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

High Protein posted:

Everybody rides Harleys here in Europe, I think they're less common that KTM or Ducati here in the Netherlands. They're top 10 selling bikes in Germany.

Isn't Germany the country with close to 0 poverty and an adult male population that is all over 6'2"? Let me know when Harley gets popular in Thailand. :colbert:

I'm going to hate no matter what you say. I4 supremacy for life.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

I'm going to hate no matter what you say. I4 supremacy for life.

I was gonna bring up the fact that you had a thumper before, but then I remembered you killed like four of them in a row.

So your statement checks out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Putin rode a Harley trike in some press event.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Putin rode a Harley trike in some press event.

Now I like Harleys

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Now I like Harleys

Lol

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Kerry didn't need a third wheel

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm ready to part the bike out and be done with it. I'm getting tired of this poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Will it pass inspection, ded.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Did... did that guy want to be close to the DMV so they could take their endorsement test on it?

I'd be incredulous that anyone would look at a race bike for a street toy, but my riding buddy has a GSXR track bike as his first bike. It's DOT legal in the barest sense of the word. It has a plastic D cell flashlight for a headlight, and that's only because we pressured him to do it so we wouldn't get pulled over. He rides at night all the time. :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I first started getting interested in motorcycles, a co-worker tried to sell me his R6, saying it was the perfect starter bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
And that co-worker was YammieNoob

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Did... did that guy want to be close to the DMV so they could take their endorsement test on it?

I'd be incredulous that anyone would look at a race bike for a street toy, but my riding buddy has a GSXR track bike as his first bike. It's DOT legal in the barest sense of the word. It has a plastic D cell flashlight for a headlight, and that's only because we pressured him to do it so we wouldn't get pulled over. He rides at night all the time. :ohdear:

It's just an R6. Not even a liter bike!:jerkbag:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He wanted to transfer the title. To be clear, those are two separate people.

I keep getting people like this emailing me / coming to see it. Bro how do i make it legal? Bro are those tires bald? Can you deliver it sight unseen? Dude, this is gonna be my first bike im tryin to go pro

I guess I'll part it out as I was only hoping to get $1800. Pain in my fuckin rear end. I'd keep it if I wasn't so uncomfortable on it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 5, 2017

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

BlackMK4 posted:

He wanted to transfer the title. To be clear, those are two separate people.

I keep getting people like this emailing me / coming to see it. Bro how do i make it legal? Bro are those tires bald? Can you deliver it sight unseen? Dude, this is gonna be my first bike im tryin to go pro

I guess I'll part it out as I was only hoping to get $1800. Pain in my fuckin rear end. I'd keep it if I wasn't so uncomfortable on it.

That's really lame :/. I'm so glad I was able to sell my bike through my local DIY workshop and not deal with Craig's list idiots.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both times I've sold a bike it's been for asking price to the first guy to come along cash-in-hand

Which may mean I undervalued them

But also they were both slow-rear end single-cylinder dualsports, which may appeal to a different kind of buyer

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Those absolutely appeal to a different kind of buyer. My guess is sport bikes, especially rashed up track bikes, will attract low-balling dumbasses.

I've sold two bikes on Craigslist, my FJR and my FZ1.

With the FJR I had less than 5 people contact me about the bike, two of which came to check it out; the second one bought it. Took ~3 weeks.

I figured the FZ1 would take forever to sell and get a ton of idiot tire kickers, but it actually took less than a week. I only got one hit on it. Guy showed up to look at it, offered $4200 on my $4500 OBO listing, and rolled out with the bike. He didn't even ride it first.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I sold my ninja 300 ABS for $3700 firm. Said straightup I wasnt haggling at all, come and buy the damned thing. After about a week of a few tire kickers, a dude showed up and bought it at that price.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I guess I'm going to rant about myself here. Went shopping yesterday and at some point parked up outside a Poundland and the sheer loving ridiculousness of the situation - my little red bit of Italian semi-exotica parked up outside the shittest, cheapest shop in Christendom - struck me. First as funny, then as utterly tragic when I realised this was the first time this year the bike had been outside the rut I've worn from my house to my office. Yeah sure it's winter, but it's not like I was the road warrior last summer.

I've had this bike for just under a year and apart from an occasional shopping run and one basically abortive stroll around Essex, it's been used purely for commuting. What a loving waste - not of my money (it'd only have gone on hookers, blow, and Steam sales otherwise) but of the potential of the bike. I've got some hella extenuating circumstances that I won't bum you all out by going into, but it's still shameful that the bike's barely seen fourth gear since I bought it. I'm sure the chicken strips are growing back.

I feel like I'm falling out of love with biking - used to be I'd spend every Sunday semi-lost somewhere in the wilderness beyond the M25, just for the sheer joy of being out on a bike. I'd take an hour getting home because I'd do an impromptu lap of central London just because the worst minute of grinding traffic was better than the best hour of sitting around at home. Know what I did last weekend, in the first semi-decent weather of the new year? Hired a car and went to loving Ikea. Never even occurred to me until I got home that I could have done... well literally anything else than that. Used to be the fact I couldn't use it to go to Ikea was what I most loved about owning a bike.

Maybe I'm getting old. Past 40 now, and coming up on half the days of my life have been on a bike. Maybe going to Ikea is my mid-life crisis? People shopping in Ikea normally buy a motorbike when they go halflifeplus (it's notable the nearest shop to the Ikea in Thurrock is a massive loving Harley dealership), so it make sense that it works the other way. Oh god.

I think I'm going to make a belated New Years resolution. My sister's boyfriend bought me a "Great Biking Roads" book for Christmas - I sort of assumed it was a joke at first because the front cover had the kind of Sam-Browne-wearing BMW-ista that we both like to take the piss out of, but I suspect he actually knows what's up with me maybe better than I do. This year I'm going to do as many of these roads as I can, and at least one of them somewhere I've never been before. Maybe there'll be an Ikea at the end of one of them...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sounds like you have the wrong motorcycle and are averse to tramping it all over the place because it's so nice/expensive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Sounds like you have the wrong motorcycle and are averse to tramping it all over the place because it's so nice/expensive.

Literally never stopped me before. The only hangup I have after the last one got stolen is I really don't like parking it in town any more, so I don't even get to go for a pose around the West End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hah, literally the very first road in the book is my old stamping ground, the A414. This is a sign.

Not a genuinely great road, but a lovely Sunday afternoon run - from the nice little tea shop in Maldon, through twisty country lanes, quick dual-carriageway blat to avoid Chelmsford, then fast sweepers, cool down in Harlow, then tyre-shredding roundabouts on the A1 junctions and then a leisurely stroll back through London to home. Or do it the other way round, pose with a lovely clean machine through town, then stop at High Beech on the way back to show off your bug splatters. gently caress me, I've not done that road this decade.

Please let it be nice weather next weekend...