Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Instant Grat posted:

Framerate was never really an issue in Bloodborne though?

There's some pretty horrible areas and it gets bad with multiple enemies.

Im a big baby about framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instant Grat posted:

Framerate was never really an issue in Bloodborne though?

:mensch:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only noticed the framerate like twice in 50 hours

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I only noticed the framerate like twice in 50 hours

Good for you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

It is

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I do not notice framerate and I don't want too.

ignorance is bliss

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Even the bits they show in the DigiFound video it's like

sometimes it drops to 26 or 27 for a second or two? I mean, sure, it would be nice if that didn't happen, but it's not gonna be what makes me pick it up and play through it again for the ninth time. I was probably inevitably gonna do that anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Pity unto those who have never felt the warm embrace of 60fps, for I have seen the promised land of TressFX, and it is good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Playing poo poo at 30fps is hard enough. When it drops blow that. :barf:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bloodborne had FRAAAAMMMMESSS complaints I remember from the original reviews. It was more about it janking all over the place unevenly then not running 60. If boost mode can get it to a solid actually locked 30 it would go a very long way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps easily (thanks, Platinum) but I'm fine with either so long as it's steady. Hitches are the pit...ches.

Still not entirely sure what "frame pacing" is and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd literally never heard the term until like a month ago when people suddenly started finding a new thing to complain about and I'm glad I never notice that too.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

How I feel about the spergy posts about framerate in this thread is probably how others react when I talk music production and sound quality. I should probably apologize to some people.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd literally never heard the term until like a month ago when people suddenly started finding a new thing to complain about and I'm glad I never notice that too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hey if you don't notice it that's loving great. Other people do. Not sure why it has to be loving controversial.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps easily (thanks, Platinum) but I'm fine with either so long as it's steady. Hitches are the pit...ches.

Still not entirely sure what "frame pacing" is and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Frame pacing issues occur when the game takes too long to render one image and then clips the next one in the sequence, resulting in a choppy picture. If I'm running the 400m against Usain Bolt, I may take the same exact number of steps he does to cross the finish line, but I'm going to look like a limping uneven animal compared to Bolt's smooth consistent stride.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dark souls 1 felt kind of weird playing at 60fps, with most games its a definitive improvement but something about DS1 felt not right.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ramagamma posted:

Dark souls 1 felt kind of weird playing at 60fps, with most games its a definitive improvement but something about DS1 felt not right.

Pretty sure the animations where made to be locked at 30fps or something goofy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

Frame pacing refers to the interval between individual frames rather than the average framerate over time. You can have 30 frames appear onscreen in a second, but if you have poor frame pacing some of those frames appeared a bit sooner than they should have and some of them appeared a bit later. These tiny variations are perceived as judder and don't look as good as 30fps where each frame is separated from the last by exactly 1/30 of a second.

Boost mode won't fix this because it's a symptom of the engine driving the graphics system wrong, it's not a question of pure power.

:troll:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

How I feel about the spergy posts about framerate in this thread is probably how others react when I talk music production and sound quality. I should probably apologize to some people.

Its probably true, I don't give a poo poo about sound. A decent soundbar is the most I need and I usually listen to podcasts or something while I game. Visuals are very important to me know, when other people don't care. Still not a 60 sperg, but I prefer locked whatever its at because its the slowdowns that bring me out of the moment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Frame pacing issues occur when the game takes too long to render one image and then clips the next one in the sequence, resulting in a choppy picture. If I'm running the 400m against Usain Bolt, I may take the same exact number of steps he does to cross the finish line, but I'm going to look like a limping uneven animal compared to Bolt's smooth consistent stride.

This is a strict hypothetical because everyone knows you have bulletproof calves.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

If framerate drops and bad frame pacing is a serious enough distraction that you won't enjoy a game, how many games on the ps4 can you actually play?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

If framerate drops and bad frame pacing is a serious enough distraction that you won't enjoy a game, how many games on the ps4 can you actually play?

None
I become completely paralyzed as soon as I see a frame drop.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

notice/lessens enjoyment/distract =/= won't enjoy the game. It just detracts from the experience not kills it.

If bloodborne is the litmus test, then just every once in a while its a "what the gently caress was that" moment then I concentrate on trying to parry more and buzzsaw something in the face. Good game, love it, could be better.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nobody is saying this though? The statement was "Bloodborne has framerate issues" which are readily apparent to many people, to say nothing of its quality.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

What I mean is, how many games don't have any of those issues?

E: i am actually curious

Norns posted:

None
I become completely paralyzed as soon as I see a frame drop.

Same, but with women

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 1, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I really wasn't trying to start anything like this. I just wanted to know when the stupid patch was out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I mean, how many games don't have any of those issues?

Same, but with women

A lot, most don't have noticeable issues outside of rare events. Bloodborne and Just Cause 3 were the biggest culprits I can think of.

Side kudo's to Nioh for letting you select you personal brand of spreg and go with it (though action mode is objectively the best choice :colbert:)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Free games for March:

Disc Jam
Tearaway Unfolded
Under Night: In-Birth (PS3)
EDF 2025 (PS3, sadly no cross-buy here as the PS4 version is a separate title)
Lumo (Vita/PS4)
Severed (Vita)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

What I mean is, how many games don't have any of those issues?

Nioh in Action mode

Gravity Rush 1 Remaster

Final Fantasy XV Lite mode on the PS4 Pro before the latest patch uncapped the framerate and hosed everything up

Shovel Knight

Odin Sphere Lífþrasir

probably more

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

Free games for March:

Disc Jam
Tearaway Unfolded
EDF 2025 (PS3, sadly no cross-buy here as the PS4 version is a remake with changes entitled EDF 2025: Shadow of New Despair)
Lumo (Vita/PS4)
Severed (Vita)

Lumo seems cool i guess

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 1, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Still salty that they named the Odin Sphere remaster after the worst character in the game

Odin Sphere Velvet or bust

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is there anywhere online that sells discounted PS Plus subscriptions?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Free games for March:

Disc Jam
Tearaway Unfolded
EDF 2025 (PS3, sadly no cross-buy here as the PS4 version is a separate title)
Lumo (Vita/PS4)
Severed (Vita)

yikes, what a load of crap

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Everyone please at least give Disc Jam a try. I had a ton of fun with the beta.

Also, is it weird that in Horizon (a great game) the most impressive thing to me is watching the sky/sun/shadows smoothly move as you change the time of day?

It's loving awesome.

[edit] Another fine feat for Horizon, I think this marks the densest/best-looking vegetation on any console open-world game by a LONG shot.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I don't notice frame pacing/rates AND I listen to audio as 128/192 kbps mp3s come fight me nerds

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Horizon is fun and unbelievably pretty this engine is loving witchcraft.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon is unbelievably pretty but it's amazing how little effort they seem to have spent on the dialog system. Not only does it have bad facial animation and lip sync, characters pop into new poses all the time and more than once the conversation wheel hasn't updated to reflect questions I've already asked.

Also it's not a technical thing but something about the delivery of a lot of Aloy's "this conversation is over" lines give me the nagging feeling that she's creeped out and eager to disengage from whoever she's talking to.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yikes, what a load of crap
It's seriously been terrible for like a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool Under Night is one of the few anime fighting games I've never played. And I'm glad I never got around to buying Tearaway all those times it was £5.