Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My rig on the last tour consisted of:

Main Noise Maker
  • Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Head (I used two single-stomp footswitches for it, one for channel switching and the other for the reverb)
  • Orange 2x12 open back.
Pedals
  • Digitech Drop I borrowed from a friend which I seldom used (Front)
  • TC Electronics Poly-Tune (Front)
  • Fulltone OCD (Front)
  • Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo (FX Loop)
  • Wampler Faux Tape Echo Delay (FX Loop)
Eventually most of that gave way to a 4-cable'd Line 6 M13 while keeping the OCD. The only things aside from the head's footswitches that got somewhat constant use were the delay and the OCD. Matter of fact, the only "casualty" in that whole tour was a Mesa Footswitch that I got a replacement for. I'm easy like Sunday morning, GG. ;)

GreatGreen posted:

Here's a screenshot of a pretty standard patch in the AX8's editor:

That's... pretty much what I would use for like a 12 out of 14-song set. Only instead of a Bassman, I'd probably rock an ENGL or a (say it with me now!) Mesa Rectifier. The Axe-Fx is supposedly pretty good at emulating an amp's response in that "modify your tone by using the guitar's volume/tone" way, right?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

stillvisions posted:

Wow, I've been looking at Fender Twins for a bit now and I wandered into this forum at the right time. Any other faves for loud and clean? I don't see a stage in my future (but who knows) and I'm the ambient guitar sound person who plays a couple notes and lets all the delay and reverb work their magic; is that Twin territory or is there some other amp I should be trying? I see the deluxe reverb but for a couple hundred more it seems like the Twin is worth the upgrade. Beyond Twin, trying out the Roland JC series I guess?

Get a Music Man.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Never heard a good guitar tone with musicman treble and high mods are always brittle and sharp sounding

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Found a Chet Atkins amp posted on cl for 150 bucks 12 hours ago. Messaged the dude hope I can get my hands on that bad boy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

stillvisions posted:

Wow, I've been looking at Fender Twins for a bit now and I wandered into this forum at the right time. Any other faves for loud and clean? I don't see a stage in my future (but who knows) and I'm the ambient guitar sound person who plays a couple notes and lets all the delay and reverb work their magic; is that Twin territory or is there some other amp I should be trying? I see the deluxe reverb but for a couple hundred more it seems like the Twin is worth the upgrade. Beyond Twin, trying out the Roland JC series I guess?

Also I promise not to blow my amp with a synthesizer. Hopefully

The big competitor for Twins would be the Ampeg V-4 family, and their reverb is probably even better for spacey/ambient than Fender's. Not as widely available as Twins, though, and you're more likely to see it as a head, although I've stumbled across 410 and 212 variants. Also, some eras had some pretty weird tube complements, so get to know a good tech in advance... but that goes with older tube stuff in general, really.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Wark Say posted:

The Axe-Fx is supposedly pretty good at emulating an amp's response in that "modify your tone by using the guitar's volume/tone" way, right?

Absolutely. It responds just like a real amp with different playing dynamics and volume pot changes.

As far as ENGLs go, the AX8 has a Savage 120 and Powerball, and like 6 or 7 different Mesa Recto amp models from different channels and versions of the amp.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 28, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

stillvisions posted:

Also I promise not to blow my amp with a synthesizer. Hopefully

There are so many varieties of Twin that some people will say they suck balls and some people will adore them, they could well be talking about very very different amps. I have a Twin Amp which is a Twin with 3 channels and all the bottom end you could ever need. It took me ages to find the one I wanted but I am so glad I did. It does everything I need. Twins have a reputation for being ear bleedingly clean and loud and the early ones are, you struggle to make them break up and you honestly may as well get a fantastic solid state amp in some respects. I like the one I have because it can do the clean thing but also can very easily do the crunch thing too, all while not shattering my windows. My personal opinion is that the clean sound I get with mine is the very best you can get, it's that good. I'd recommend trying some if possible and keep in mind that Twins, especially old Silver Face ones get modded the gently caress out of a lot, so if you can take someone who can look inside that would be a great bonus.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I've had, variously over the years, three Twin Reverbs, and they were all different. I had a '69, a '72, and a '80. Different speakers make a big difference. I once went to a recording studio in Boston where they had outfitted all their Fender amps with Celestion speakers, which was a very odd decision.

All Twin Reverbs had diode rectified power supplies, whereas the Deluxe Reverb has a tube rectifier. Personally, I find the Deluxe Reverb to be the best sounding amp Fender ever made- and it's a heck of a lot lighter than a Twin.

Musicmans never did it for me, and they're also very heavy. V4s are cool, but rarely found.

Remember when everybody used to put their JC120 on its side? Those were the days.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
why jc120 on its side

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Otis Reddit posted:

why jc120 on its side

Get one of the speakers higher

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

umalt posted:

An EHX 44 Magnum power amp would be good as a cheap power amp, and theoretcially you could wait to see if you could get a good deal on a used old Axe Fx. But in a pinch, you could do a Line 6 POD HD.

My current set up is a Line 6 helix, an EHX 44 magnum and an orange 1x12. The .44 is hella loud and its sounding pretty good and extremely light. Can carry my whole setup to the car in one trip.

One thing that pisses me off though is that the magnum has an external power transformer thats as big as the pedal itself though. So the whole "its pedal sized" thing is a bit of a lie. If EHX hadn't been so attached to that gimmick they could have just stuck both parts in a half rack sized unit and it would still be one of the smallest power amps on the market.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 1, 2017

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Loud and clean - don't forget the CHEAP Fender Princeton Chorus.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Too bad my tech died :( trying to get another one on this bad boy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smash it Smash hit posted:

:(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's a Valco 6159- an early one with a tube rectifier. I like cathode biased 6L6s.

They're cool amps. I hope you can get somebody to fix it up.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

That's a Valco 6159- an early one with a tube rectifier. I like cathode biased 6L6s.

They're cool amps. I hope you can get somebody to fix it up.

found one guy thats pretty interested in helping me to get it going. The outside is a bit rusty but I opened up the power and pre amp section and it seems pretty pristine besides a hornet that crawled in through one of the inputs.

I imagine its going to need a whole cap job and tubes and power cord, have any idea around how much that will run me give or take?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I imagine its going to need a whole cap job and tubes and power cord, have any idea around how much that will run me give or take?

matched pair of JJ 6L6s: ~38
5Y3 rectifier: ~15
12ax7s: ~15-30 depending on whether you go cheap chinese surplus or not
Power cord: ~5 bucks
Capacitors: really depends on what's dead

I also wouldn't be surprised if you need miscellaneous resistors replaced. Carbon comp resistors can drift over the years, sometimes by quite a lot- I once measured a 100k plate resistor that measured 140k! Actually sounded pretty good that way, but I digress.

And then there's the tech's labor, which depends on the tech. I would expect this job to cost around $150 or so, roughly.

Also, have your tech remove the death cap if its present (it probably is).

Edit: I should also mention that if the power or output transformers are gone, then you're looking at much more money, as transformers are expensive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My favourite Blues Junior clone is the Sub Zero 20 watt because it has a fair to middling chance of killing you

http://www.ratvalveamps.com/subzero-tube-20r

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

matched pair of JJ 6L6s: ~38
5Y3 rectifier: ~15
12ax7s: ~15-30 depending on whether you go cheap chinese surplus or not
Power cord: ~5 bucks
Capacitors: really depends on what's dead

I also wouldn't be surprised if you need miscellaneous resistors replaced. Carbon comp resistors can drift over the years, sometimes by quite a lot- I once measured a 100k plate resistor that measured 140k! Actually sounded pretty good that way, but I digress.

And then there's the tech's labor, which depends on the tech. I would expect this job to cost around $150 or so, roughly.

Also, have your tech remove the death cap if its present (it probably is).

Edit: I should also mention that if the power or output transformers are gone, then you're looking at much more money, as transformers are expensive.

I was thinking around the same thing. I have 12ax7s lying around galore if the ones in there dont work, so I am not worried about that. I have been just spending time trying to clean it out for him, going to hopefully get to used my father's friends compressed air tank to clean it out.

I already told him about the death cap, I did a bit of research on it before I purchased it.

The bad boy starts up and the tubes heat up but no sound so I am assuming that the transformers are good to go? That was my assumption which is why I bought it haha. Thanks a ton for the insight!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

My favourite Blues Junior clone is the Sub Zero 20 watt because it has a fair to middling chance of killing you

http://www.ratvalveamps.com/subzero-tube-20r

Uh, wow. So it can't be safe to QA. Uh again.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The bad boy starts up and the tubes heat up but no sound so I am assuming that the transformers are good to go? That was my assumption which is why I bought it haha. Thanks a ton for the insight!

Hard to say for sure, but transformers aren't usually the things that die. I bet some of the lams in yours are no longer isolated because of corrosion, but I've seen worse, cosmetically.

If you have a bunch of 12ax7s lying around, try swapping them for the ones in the amp. Maybe you'll get lucky and it was just a bad preamp tube, but my money is on the power tubes being bad.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

Hard to say for sure, but transformers aren't usually the things that die. I bet some of the lams in yours are no longer isolated because of corrosion, but I've seen worse, cosmetically.

If you have a bunch of 12ax7s lying around, try swapping them for the ones in the amp. Maybe you'll get lucky and it was just a bad preamp tube, but my money is on the power tubes being bad.

Thats what I was thinking too but figure that everything else will have to be switched out. It doesnt seem like it had been worked on at all so I know the Caps need to be taken out ( and the death cap taken out too ) so I figure thats the starting pot.

I turned it on to see if any sound would come out, there was some sparks down in the power section going on, some sort of jumping or short. I noticed the hole where the OT(I think) wires connect, has no padding so it would be rubbing against bare wires so, I told the tech to look at that too, if not I'll just pump in some hot glue.

I have to run to my shed to grab the 12ax7s but, I figure I will just leave them with him anyways since he is going to do a little over hall regardless.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

found one guy thats pretty interested in helping me to get it going. The outside is a bit rusty but I opened up the power and pre amp section and it seems pretty pristine besides a hornet that crawled in through one of the inputs.

If Central PA is reasonable I know a very good guy but he is not cheap

(The guy is not me)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shugojin posted:

(The guy is not me)

I am very far folk there unfortunately this guy does work for all the non guitar center places in the area so I imagine he is pretty okay.

My previous guy was amazing

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

Shugojin posted:

(The guy is not me)

Sarge?

Edit: I know a dude who is really good in Asheville, NC if that's any closer. He's worked on my V-4, JCM800 and Crate Vintage Club combo and they all sound great.

seatbeltstrap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 1, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

seatbeltstrap posted:

Sarge?

Edit: I know a dude who is really good in Asheville, NC if that's any closer. He's worked on my V-4, JCM800 and Crate Vintage Club combo and they all sound great.

Yes :v:

e: I honestly had no idea he was as well known as he apparently is, dude just knows a ton about tube amps

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 1, 2017

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

Shugojin posted:

Yes :v:

e: I honestly had no idea he was as well known as he apparently is, dude just knows a ton about tube amps

While I still lived in State College I would just take my amps over to his house when they needed work, he's an incredibly smart dude. He let me hang out a couple of times while he was working on my amp, his workshop is as awesome as you would expect.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

seatbeltstrap posted:

While I still lived in State College I would just take my amps over to his house when they needed work, he's an incredibly smart dude. He let me hang out a couple of times while he was working on my amp, his workshop is as awesome as you would expect.

Jelly

I had thermodynamics with Sarge Jr, he is also a cool dude

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Woah, many thanks for all of the responses - a few thoughts inline below:

Wark Say posted:

The Jazz Chorus 40 and the 30-watt Blues Cube

Gorgar posted:

A Bassman paired with a JC-120 gives you lots of options, and you can let the delay go to one amp and the clean to another for a clearer sound. I like JC on repeats, Fender on dry, but you could go the other way too.

I would be all over the JC-40 (stereo effects loop!) but the chorus appears to be digital. Not for me. JC-77s are the same size and sound better than 120s to me. If you can find one, they're great amps. I'm currently using an Orange OR-120 as a clean platform, but the Fender/JC thing was what I used for years, and you can get atmospheric as gently caress.

Yeah, the JC line is an attractive alternative, especially since I tend towards low-maintenance gear. I'm not too worried about gear size/weight - I'm not lugging it around everywhere. The blues cube as a little amp alongside another might be a decent call. I have the Vibro Champ XD already (a nice little bedroom amp) but I'll give a listen to see how much of a difference that makes.

The JC-40 is tempting; what frustrates me and gives me pause is not just the digital chorus, but the digital reverb. Like seriously, spring tanks aren't expensive and the 40 has a ton of space in the back. Only thing I can think (besides cost cutting) is that people are so used to room effects that actual spring reverb sounds underwhelming now. I have no major issue with digital effects, but the 120 is way more attractive for its built-in effects.

butros posted:

Get a Music Man.

After The War posted:

The big competitor for Twins would be the Ampeg V-4 family, and their reverb is probably even better for spacey/ambient than Fender's. Not as widely available as Twins, though, and you're more likely to see it as a head, although I've stumbled across 410 and 212 variants. Also, some eras had some pretty weird tube complements, so get to know a good tech in advance... but that goes with older tube stuff in general, really.

I see those names pop up, but I'll fully cop to not being the person who'd keep up on the maintenance factor on a vintage amp.

peter gabriel posted:

There are so many varieties of Twin that some people will say they suck balls and some people will adore them, they could well be talking about very very different amps. I have a Twin Amp which is a Twin with 3 channels and all the bottom end you could ever need. It took me ages to find the one I wanted but I am so glad I did. It does everything I need. Twins have a reputation for being ear bleedingly clean and loud and the early ones are, you struggle to make them break up and you honestly may as well get a fantastic solid state amp in some respects. I like the one I have because it can do the clean thing but also can very easily do the crunch thing too, all while not shattering my windows. My personal opinion is that the clean sound I get with mine is the very best you can get, it's that good. I'd recommend trying some if possible and keep in mind that Twins, especially old Silver Face ones get modded the gently caress out of a lot, so if you can take someone who can look inside that would be a great bonus.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like I'm going to have to annoy people trying out a bunch to see what sounds good to me, which was expected, but at least this gives me a short list of candidates and some dark horses. The Twin keeps calling to me, but I guess I've got a mission to listen to several and see. Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'll bring my main guitar (Gibson LP BFG) and a few pedals for reference; let's see how that Miku Stomp sounds at 120 watts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

stillvisions posted:

I'll bring my main guitar (Gibson LP BFG)

A great guitar, that p90 / HB combo is killer, congrats on that :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

Woah, many thanks for all of the responses - a few thoughts inline below:

Yeah, the JC line is an attractive alternative, especially since I tend towards low-maintenance gear. I'm not too worried about gear size/weight - I'm not lugging it around everywhere. The blues cube as a little amp alongside another might be a decent call. I have the Vibro Champ XD already (a nice little bedroom amp) but I'll give a listen to see how much of a difference that makes.

The blues cube sounds really good. Give it a spin. Roland really knows how to do Non-Tube Amps that absolutely SLAY. However, if weight (and price) is no issue, shop around for a Twin Reverb or the Deluxe Reverb. I hate having to lug mine around, but the thing is that, if you find THE Twin, you're basically set: I found mine back in 2001, and while I've never done extensive touring with mine, for local gigs, the thing takes everything I throw at it like it ain't no thing. And for recording, if I'm not going for that "lower-wattage sweet spot", the Twin is perfect for almost all the cleans you can throw at it.

And while it might just be the speakers, I'm not a fan of how some lower tunings / extended range (7 strings and above) behave, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Wark Say posted:

So, since this year I'm returning as a hired gun for the same "camp" that I worked with last year, I wanna make things easier for everybody; and while I do plan to take my old analog rig on the US/Canada run, it's very likely that we're gonna do an overseas leg and if I get saddled with the same ol' pain-in-the-butt Tour Manager, I'd rather preemptively be buddy-buddy with him by throwing together an Amp Modeler + Power-amp and just use one of my Voodoo Lab controllers to switch patches and stuff. I do have a POD HD Pedalboard (the old 2010 POD HD500), but I'm wondering if that's gonna cut it.

I read somewhere that the guys from both Fractal and the guys who did the Eleven Rack both came out with pedalboard versions of their main modelers for way cheaper than the rack versions. Has anyone tried those?

Why buy something extra and expensive if you already own something that'll do the job? The HD500 is a little long in the tooth compared to an AX8 or Helix but it'll definitely work if you spend some time dialing it in. Use that plugged into the FX return of whatever backline amp you can rent and you'll be fine!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wark Say posted:

And while it might just be the speakers, I'm not a fan of how some lower tunings / extended range (7 strings and above) behave, though.

If you're talking about the Twin here, I think speakers/cabinet might be it. Along with the silverface Twin, I bought a silverface drip edge 68 or whatever Super Reverb that didn't seem to like Gibsons. I took it back to the shop, paid for some speaker reconing, but it still never sounded good with humbuckers, much less a baritone. Eventually sold it back to the shop. Now I have a slightly later Super Reverb running through a bass cabinet and it sounds great to me. The amps have plenty of heft, but the cabs seem geared towards thin-sounding guitars like most Fenders.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Victory Amps, who has opinions on them?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Gorgar posted:

If you're talking about the Twin here, I think speakers/cabinet might be it. Along with the silverface Twin, I bought a silverface drip edge 68 or whatever Super Reverb that didn't seem to like Gibsons. I took it back to the shop, paid for some speaker reconing, but it still never sounded good with humbuckers, much less a baritone. Eventually sold it back to the shop. Now I have a slightly later Super Reverb running through a bass cabinet and it sounds great to me. The amps have plenty of heft, but the cabs seem geared towards thin-sounding guitars like most Fenders.

It's likely because the Twin and Super are open-back cabinets.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Victory Amps, who has opinions on them?

I think they're making some great stuff that's right after my own heart- simple, single channel, but with some nice features.

Unfortunately, I also think they're kind of expensive for what they are.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Why buy something extra and expensive if you already own something that'll do the job? The HD500 is a little long in the tooth compared to an AX8 or Helix but it'll definitely work if you spend some time dialing it in. Use that plugged into the FX return of whatever backline amp you can rent and you'll be fine!

Yeah, I was just reading about this. Apparently the guy from Gorguts uses a basic Carvin Power Amp along with his POD HD. So if that works for him, I might as well give it a try!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jwh posted:

I think they're making some great stuff that's right after my own heart- simple, single channel, but with some nice features.

Unfortunately, I also think they're kind of expensive for what they are.

They're neat amps though right? The simplicity is very appealing. The Kraken for instance has just the right amount of versatility that I could ever need. Sounds amazing too. Rabea Massaad's videos with them really makes me wish I could get my hands on one.

I'm with you on the prices, even though I think they're generally fair. Knock $200 off and they would be such a killer deal.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Tech quoted me 350 to get my gretsch up and running bringing me to around 450 total for it which Is not too bad, don't see them selling for less than 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really like that victory amps do vertical 2x12s which are way more convenient than 4x12s while still having the stature and vertical dispersion.