Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

Nobody should be sneering at anyone on either side of this asinine issue, I agree with you. I used to do that and now recognize that it's childish and accomplishes nothing. That said, too many times I've had teammates actively work to sabotage me, up to and including hitting me from behind while I fight someone, all because they think throwing someone off a cliff or helping them when they're in trouble is a cardinal sin, only to immediately die either because for all their hubris they couldn't hack it in a 1v1 or they get dogpiled by the enemy. I never said anything to provoke them. If the other side isn't going to play by their rules, and my own allies are a threat either through inaction or interference, then I'm not going to hesitate to do whatever I can to secure my own victory.
helping your ally when they are in trouble is a cardinal sin. if i meet you on the battlefiels you will find no mercy, coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm sure the Pope will forgive me for my dark deeds in exchange for bringing the light of God to the samurai heathens.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
A fun thing- taking bleed damage builds revenge from both the attack and the bleed.

Another fun thing- having temporary HP makes you immune to bleeds for.... Reasons.

A super fun thing- gaining temporary HP actually removes all bleed damage on your main HP bar.

This means that revenge gear all-star will actually get revenge mode 1v1 vs a nobushi if he blocks 0 attacks. The revenge mode will then clear all his current dot damage and make him immune to it for the duration.

Edit- the bleed also applies constant revenge build up. Nothing is more fun than a dude getting revenge mode as your 80% done with your heavy attack from GB

:ubisoft:

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FunkMonkey posted:

That said, too many times I've had teammates actively work to sabotage me, up to and including hitting me from behind while I fight someone, all because they think throwing someone off a cliff or helping them when they're in trouble is a cardinal sin, only to immediately die either because for all their hubris they couldn't hack it in a 1v1 or they get dogpiled by the enemy.

Oh yeah those people are terrible and idiots for sure, I'll throw people into and off of poo poo whenever, my only constant "honor" abiding bit is I won't immediately run to double-team guys in brawl unless they start in on it first, if I win mine first then I'll sit back and let my buddy have his fight, then clean up if they lost, I have more fun when my random pal lets me play out my fight too really. If the other guys start trying to jump me or my pal, you bet their rear end is getting an axe in the back when it's turned around next.

I semi carry that sentiment over to elimination most times as well, but dominion or skirmish is where I just don't care, everyone gets got in that mode. :madmax:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 1, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Having a rep 4 raider is sucking the fun out of the game for me at the moment because I'm not blocking poo poo that I'm putting the input for, and any other class I try just doesn't feel right. I'd go with warden but ugh I already have a fuckin vanguard.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fine, that's your perogative and even if I don't agree with the wisdom in standing by like that, I can't stop you and will defend myself to the best of my ability. As for me, if I've finished my starter dude, in FAIR AND HONORABLE 1v1, then I'm going to go over, wait for an opening, and help my buddy clean up. The only thing that would stop me from that is if they asked, courteously, for me not to. I don't begrudge my enemies for doing the same to me; if I die in any match-up, it's because I blew it, me.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Yardbomb posted:

The people who go on about "Heh 4 honor not with" have gotten more annoying than the "honor" people for me, to the point where I just let them get mauled in fights then win them afterwards anyway.

It feels good.

Yeah, the people who are all "There is no honor in war!" :smug: :smug: :smug: are significantly more annoying to me than the people who insist on 1v1ing or whatever. Just play the game man

e; admittedly a lot of it is because I made the mistake of browsing the for honor subreddit and some people were unironically quoting Mass Effect 3 to justify helping their partner in 2v2

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

Fine, that's your perogative and even if I don't agree with the wisdom in standing by like that, I can't stop you and will defend myself to the best of my ability. As for me, if I've finished my starter dude, in FAIR AND HONORABLE 1v1, then I'm going to go over, wait for an opening, and help my buddy clean up. The only thing that would stop me from that is if they asked, courteously, for me not to. I don't begrudge my enemies for doing the same to me; if I die in any match-up, it's because I blew it, me.
you dishonor yourself and your family.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It is only acceptable to stand by for your turn to fight the last man standing if you are spamming taunt the whole time

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Spamming the air humping taunt with Raider is extremely honorable in my opinion.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

signalnoise posted:

It is only acceptable to stand by for your turn to fight the last man standing if you are spamming taunt the whole time

Or casually walking between both players.

Repeatedly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The only downside of maining shugoki is that they don't have a spammable emote and it's terribly upsetting

cams
Mar 28, 2003

signalnoise posted:

if you taunt ever you are a dishonorable coward.

for. honor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I read the was something about this game being cross platform. Any truth to that?

No. Faction war is cross platform but faction war does not matter. You cannot play cross platform with other people.

Very few games are cross platform multiplayer. I mean, its cross platform in that its on PC and its on console, but there's no cross platform multiplayer no.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

signalnoise posted:

In my defense, I will often announce my intentions by saying "goin' in for the wrestle" in all chat beforehand.

Also, I just saw the Shugoki's heel click emote the other day. That will be my first buy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Kainser posted:

Spamming the air humping taunt with Raider is extremely honorable in my opinion.

Oh don't worry, I got you covered there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

No. Faction war is cross platform but faction war does not matter. You cannot play cross platform with other people.

Very few games are cross platform multiplayer. I mean, its cross platform in that its on PC and its on console, but there's no cross platform multiplayer no.

Shame too. This is one of the only games where there's little to no KBM advantage.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Shame too. This is one of the only games where there's little to no KBM advantage.

Yeah it's not the controls in this case, it's that the PS4/Xboner are 30 and PC's 60 FPS. Having played both, going from the PS4 version to my primary of PC feels like some Goku coming out of the hyperbolic time chamber poo poo. :v:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

signalnoise posted:

Having a rep 4 raider is sucking the fun out of the game for me at the moment because I'm not blocking poo poo that I'm putting the input for, and any other class I try just doesn't feel right. I'd go with warden but ugh I already have a fuckin vanguard.

Are you missing blocks vs PK and other assassins? I play a lot of Raider too and I've learned to just eat some lights from the fast classes and focus on watching for the heavy or the gb.

If I just block 50% of light spam from a PK I'm ok with trading some of my life for their stamina so I can get them exhausted and put them into the heavy -> unblockable feint game.

Typing that out makes me realize that Raider is basically a ghetto Shugoki and I could probably do much better with the fat man... Unfortunately Raider has a 2x skull helmet which owns, so I'm sticking with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah, although I will say I feel like some moves as controller are harder than KBM. Like doing guardbreak DURING guard stance as a warlord, that's way way way easier on keyboard than on controller.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I felt a bit bad.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I felt a bit bad.

I used to feel bad, but have since learned not to underestimate those little fuckers; some of them can be scrappy.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

If they reduced gear effectiveness by 75% would that be a reasonable change?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Keegers posted:

Gear should actually make you worse. High fashion has its price.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Usually I avoid ranked modes in games because I just wanna goof around and not have someone sperg out over their flawless winrate being tanked, but if they turn the gear stats off in ranked I'm never queuing for normal again.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kainser posted:

e; admittedly a lot of it is because I made the mistake of browsing the for honor subreddit and some people were unironically quoting Mass Effect 3 to justify helping their partner in 2v2

Ah yes, 'honor.' :airquote: We have dismissed this claim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keegers posted:

I think this AND remove revenge gain stats completely would be a good way to go.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I think this AND remove revenge gain stats completely would be a good way to go.

Keep stats and give people a maximum gear score of about 50, let them optimize however they like but they have to stay under 51 gear score. Keep your purple gear if you want that to be one or two items you have up to that point. Allow people to put *purple looks on grey gear.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

Ah yes, 'honor.' :airquote: We have dismissed this claim.
no, you have done so, because you are a coward. hth.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Remove gear stats from the game.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ah yes three non-prestige and a bot vs four prestige 3-5's, this can only go well

The skill search extends way too loving quickly, it should take at least 5 minutes to end up with shitshows like this

What are the search thresholds anyways? It feels like it takes less than a minute to go to "lol anything goes"

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 1, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

The Iron Rose posted:

I felt a bit bad.

Nothing a good ledge can't solve imo

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Prawned posted:

Remove gear stats from the game.

Or at the very least make a separate matchmaking queue for no gear 4v4.

It would be nice to play a 4v4 game mode that didn't involve a huge gear imbalance and/or people constantly bitching about it. Either let us pick a character before entering matchmaking so it can take gear score into account, or make a separate queue for no gear 4v4. Preferably both. Even when most of the community finally gets max level gear, the matchmaker will still find newbies to throw in with max level people, it's a loving dumb design.

Gear would be less lovely if everyone had equal level gear. There would be more interesting "gear meta" for the spergs that want to optimize their dominion team or whatever. Maybe have a heavy class with max revive and defense, an assassin with max attack and stamina cost reduction, etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Point buy system and use steel to unlock cosmetics IMO

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Point buy system and use steel to unlock cosmetics IMO

Sounds good to me. Replace each armor and weapon piece with the same system the ornaments use. Just a big catalog that you unlock with steel, and is purely cosmetic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds good to me. Replace each armor and weapon piece with the same system the ornaments use. Just a big catalog that you unlock with steel, and is purely cosmetic.

I actually like this idea. Gaining reputation ranks could unlock more items in the catalogue for you to buy so you still get the sense of getting fancier as you level up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really don't see what's wrong with just getting rid of stats entirely. I don't even notice them half the time and even those 108 orange geared guys are easily ledged or ganged up on if they can't do basic blocking. The only gear bonus I definitively hate is debuff resistance since I believe it gives you a longer window to break guard breaks.

I don't care about my stats. I do care about having dumb looking armor. Let me Fashion Souls, drat it.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

Doltos posted:

I really don't see what's wrong with just getting rid of stats entirely. I don't even notice them half the time and even those 108 orange geared guys are easily ledged or ganged up on if they can't do basic blocking. The only gear bonus I definitively hate is debuff resistance since I believe it gives you a longer window to break guard breaks.

I don't care about my stats. I do care about having dumb looking armor. Let me Fashion Souls, drat it.

Its also dumb how debuff resistance will significantly reduce bleed damage.

"Hey, you know how two and a half classes are designed around their bleed damage? Let's add a stat so players can ignore bleed damage."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FunkMonkey posted:

I actually like this idea. Gaining reputation ranks could unlock more items in the catalogue for you to buy so you still get the sense of getting fancier as you level up.

Yeah, plus common stuff could cost less steel.

In the end most people would end up in all bling gear, but that's how things are gonna go with the current system anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Doltos posted:

Same, but too many people would freak the gently caress out at being denied the gear they worked for. Gear stats can add another level of strategy, but a huge gear imbalance in every match is loving dumb. The only games I've played where everyone had equal gear score was in the beta when nobody had any gear. Never again in the current system will you see a game with equal gear scores on both teams. If you do, go buy a lottery ticket. Gear adds nothing to the game in the current iteration because it boils down to "any gear is better than no gear".

That, and revenge stats on gear need to just go away entirely. It just turns into a nonstop revenge mode fuckfest. If your gear score is too low, you might as well be one of the dumb soldiers in zone B getting repeatedly owned by a super saiyan.