Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can bring on all sorts of onboard entertainments devices for everyone but I recommend keeping it simple and focusing on your daughter. She's old enough to use headphones with the onboard system and do paper games like hangman. My daughter usually gets a special magazine or sticker book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you considered a backpacking backpack instead of one of those suitcases?

Don't know your daughter but relying on a 7 year old to ALWAYS drag a suitcase around may be optimistic. Also, having two hands free is always nice. So long as it's frameless or a small internal frame, it will fit in the overhead.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
What's up, Japan thread.

I have married my beautiful Japanese wife, gotten my visa and next week I am starting my new life in Japan.
I'm quite worried about it, as I have learned quite a lot of Japanese, but I still can't properly read newspapers etc.
So next week, I'm going to take a dip in the deep end of the pool and start swimming.

What could I do so that my life in Japan would be as painless as possible? I have come in terms with the fact that it'll be hard as hell to find a new job there, move in with my wife etc. etc., but I try to stay optimistic, since my wife has been very supportive so far.
I am already reading/writing kanji every day to get them into my mind, but man, it's hard to remember new vocabulary in a functional sense.
What sort of techniques do you use to prepare for a N3+ level exams and so the new terms would become functional as well?
Are there any common gaijin pitfalls you would definitely like to warn about 100%?

Anyway, pray for this gaijin and I'll do my best!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you have a spouse visa you can do whatever you want. First do an English monkey job to pay the bills while you get used to your new town. Later you can work in a brewery or hotel or computer stuff or be house husband.
Reading newspapers is a few years down the road so just chill and enjoy.

You might feel pressured to say Yes to every invitation from every buck-toothed friend-of-a-friend but I'd recommend not joining any hobby clubs etc. right away. Wait until you've found a genuine friend.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 1, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Also if I have some lovely clothes I don't want anymore I'll pack that and throw it away the last day to free up more space.

this is a pro travel move

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Piano Maniac posted:

What's up, Japan thread.

I have married my beautiful Japanese wife, gotten my visa and next week I am starting my new life in Japan.
I'm quite worried about it, as I have learned quite a lot of Japanese, but I still can't properly read newspapers etc.
So next week, I'm going to take a dip in the deep end of the pool and start swimming.

What could I do so that my life in Japan would be as painless as possible? I have come in terms with the fact that it'll be hard as hell to find a new job there, move in with my wife etc. etc., but I try to stay optimistic, since my wife has been very supportive so far.
I am already reading/writing kanji every day to get them into my mind, but man, it's hard to remember new vocabulary in a functional sense.
What sort of techniques do you use to prepare for a N3+ level exams and so the new terms would become functional as well?
Are there any common gaijin pitfalls you would definitely like to warn about 100%?

dude i've spent like 6 months in the countryside in the middle of nowhere and my japanese is total garbage and life has been awesome and cool and good, if you can speak japanese you'll be fine. ask people itt for help if you need any. congrats on getting married. if this is your first time living abroad, life will probably be kinda weird, but get in a good routine, don't just spend like 12 hours a day on the internet, try to read an hour a day, study an hour a day, go for a run/hike one or two hours a day, etc. if you just end up spending all day loving off playing video games you're going to feel worthless.

do what peanut says, find something to hold you over while you get your bearings and then look for something better.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Piano Maniac posted:

What's up, Japan thread.

Congratulations, this is the Pro way to come to Japan (aka, the way I did it).

Where will y'all be living?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Piano Maniac posted:

If you're driving there are specially designed Gaijin Pits on the shoulders of some roads to trap your tires. Watch out for those.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Piano Maniac posted:

Don't:
-Follow Nigerians anywhere, even for "just a look"
-Bother with Chinese massage in Roppongi (go to Kanda instead)
-Try to bang your students and/or their mothers. classic gaijin blunder
-Ride a bicycle while drunk, you can get a DUI
-Hesitate to get a Hub members card
-Hang out with Aredna if you want to avoid any of the above

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the advice, everybody! We'll be living in Tokyo and it's just kinda scary, because here in Estonia it's 1,3 million in the whole country but already in Tokyo there's like 9 million people living in a city.
Yeah, I should take an English monkey job (or any job that pays decent) before I'll start leveling up, since I think I need to get one of those JLPTs to show that I do, indeed, speak Japanese. In any case, I'm nervous but I'm also hella excited! It'll be just like Earthbound where you walk around in a city and just talk to people the first few weeks, since one thing is to read kanji on a paper... and the other thing to read them on a sign post.

For example - 足立 = Can it be Sokuritsu? Ashida? Nope, it's Adachi.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh geez Estonia please eat as much cheese and bread as possible now, you're going to miss it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Will places in Japan even hire you to teach English if you aren't from an English speaking country?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zmcnulty posted:

-Hesitate to get a Hub members card
I avoided eating at Hub the last time I was in Japan just because I wanted to get more used to foreign foods. Is the food there actually any good? I always assume British/Irish places abroad are usually gonna be kinda bad compared to at home.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was told the food is bad but there is beer and bros. LimburgLimbo has a stack of coupons from his point card that can probably keep him in free beer for months.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sounds like I should give it a miss.

Speaking of drinks, I know that liking sweet things is considered a more feminine trait in Japan but just how weird is it for a man to drink something that isn't either beer or whisky over there? I always got handed my friend's beer when we all ordered together. Eventually just started owning it at bars and asking for the absolute sweetest cocktail they could make (ended up with a great chocolate banana milkshake kinda thing at a bar called Jayco in Shinjuku).

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

Will places in Japan even hire you to teach English if you aren't from an English speaking country?

Yes, the hurdle is the visa, but if you have a spouse visa then plenty of places will be happy to hire you.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

Yes, the hurdle is the visa, but if you have a spouse visa then plenty of places will be happy to hire you.

Huh, that's very different from Taiwan then. I've met Europeans here with perfect English who say no school will hire them because they only want English teachers from the U.S., Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and absolutely nowhere else.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^

There are expectations re: beer and whatevs but just be confident and order what you like, it's not like the US where someone might call you a human being and throw a cigarette in your face. Well 60+ dudes might be confused but for the younger generation it's like OH ok looks tasty ha ha

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chuhai and ume Strong Zero are great screw anybody who judges you.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Chuhai and ume Strong Zero are great screw anybody who judges you.

FYI I will judge u if u drink strong zero

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't help you if you want to live a joyless life without ume strong zero.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I was told the food is bad but there is beer and bros. LimburgLimbo has a stack of coupons from his point card that can probably keep him in free beer for months.

Who told you that? The food at the Hub is quite passable and almost certainly better than what you could get in England, gastropub or otherwise.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh and apparently they have the best pizza in Japan, so there's that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

Oh and apparently they have the best pizza in Japan, so there's that.

Setting a pretty high bar, there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Piano Maniac posted:

Thanks for the advice, everybody! We'll be living in Tokyo and it's just kinda scary, because here in Estonia it's 1,3 million in the whole country but already in Tokyo there's like 9 million people living in a city.
Yeah, I should take an English monkey job (or any job that pays decent) before I'll start leveling up, since I think I need to get one of those JLPTs to show that I do, indeed, speak Japanese. In any case, I'm nervous but I'm also hella excited! It'll be just like Earthbound where you walk around in a city and just talk to people the first few weeks, since one thing is to read kanji on a paper... and the other thing to read them on a sign post.

For example - 足立 = Can it be Sokuritsu? Ashida? Nope, it's Adachi.

People and place names are messed up all over the world though. Old pronunciations, spellings, etc.

Do you have any marketable skills at all? Once you get some language skills things open up to what you can do.

Edit: Also direct language questions here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030

Grand Fromage posted:

They're already gone haha. Good for a couple trips where I bought for my friends though.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 2, 2017

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Sounds like I should give it a miss.

Speaking of drinks, I know that liking sweet things is considered a more feminine trait in Japan but just how weird is it for a man to drink something that isn't either beer or whisky over there? I always got handed my friend's beer when we all ordered together. Eventually just started owning it at bars and asking for the absolute sweetest cocktail they could make (ended up with a great chocolate banana milkshake kinda thing at a bar called Jayco in Shinjuku).

Did you know that beer is good?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Did you know that beer is good?

Apparently he/she's from England so they may not

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LimburgLimbo posted:

So they'll be right at home in the Japanese beer scene. :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LimburgLimbo posted:

N.Ireland actually. Just never quite acquired a taste for non-sweet alcoholic stuff. Luckily every bar I went to had a great liqueur selection. Way better than at home:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Question Mark Mound posted:

N.Ireland actually. Just never quite acquired a taste for non-sweet alcoholic stuff. Luckily every bar I went to had a great liqueur selection. Way better than at home:

I see your enjoyment of sweet cocktails is norn-ironic. :downsrim:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'll buy u an amaretto sour :wink:

poot
Apr 21, 2010
I'm going on a business trip to Matsumoto soon, and have a 5 days off to do whatever I want. I think I'll spend some time in Tokyo, maybe travel to Kyoto or Hiroshima, if the travel time isn't to bad. Any tips for what to do, or other places to visit?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mark Twain posted:

Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in country in 3 weeks!

March 24 - March 27: Kobe/Osaka
March 28 - March 30: Nagoya
March 31- April 4: Kobe/Osaka

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

They're already gone haha. Good for a couple trips where I bought for my friends though.

That's a lot of Hub. :eyepop: If you were not generous think of how many free beers you could have been drinking alone in a corner.

Matsumoto was a real nice small town, the only small town I've been to that I thought living in might be okay. Getting to Tokyo is easy, Kyoto and such would be more of a pain since there's no east-west train line in that area. You could also go up to Nagano and there's a shinkansen from there to Kanazawa if you wanted to go to less traveled parts.

There's some old Tokaido post road towns that are day trips from Matsumoto. Also Shiojiri which is a town named Salt Butt.

poot
Apr 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a lot of Hub. :eyepop: If you were not generous think of how many free beers you could have been drinking alone in a corner.

Matsumoto was a real nice small town, the only small town I've been to that I thought living in might be okay. Getting to Tokyo is easy, Kyoto and such would be more of a pain since there's no east-west train line in that area. You could also go up to Nagano and there's a shinkansen from there to Kanazawa if you wanted to go to less traveled parts.

There's some old Tokaido post road towns that are day trips from Matsumoto. Also Shiojiri which is a town named Salt Butt.

Thanks! I only have to go to Matsumoto at the end of my stay. My only plan as of now, is that I start at Narita airport and somehow end up in Matsumoto by day 6.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a bus from Shinjuku station to Matsumoto, the internet told me it's faster/cheaper than the train. Three-ish hours. I'd say Matusmoto is worth a day on its own if you won't have any wandering time during work. Eat the pickled wasabi greens thing they do, and wasabi in general is fresh there and good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Withdrawing money from a US debit card at an ATM: Will any ATM do this, or will I need to find a specific one? Is there generally a maximum you can withdraw set by the ATM, or can I pull as much as my bank will allow? Is there one at Narita?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
1) call your bank ahead of time and ask them to let you use it internationally and tell them the dates you'll be in other countries

2) if you have the visa or mastercard logo on your card you can use it at any 7/11 or Japan Post (USPS equiv) ATM or Citibank ATM

3) if you have the chip and pin thing (US is finally getting it) then 7/11 will let you take 100,000 at a time. If not you can do 30,000 per transaction and 2 transactions at a specific ATM each day

4) call your loving bank before you leave - everyone thinks they are special and don't and then their cards don't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Citibank worked really well for me. Withdraw from any 7-11 ATM and there is one in Haneda. No fees.