Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not as lucky as 888 will be imo

edit gently caress I missed it well ed balls to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Corny posted:

why did the NYT cover a high school party?? did they have nothing better to do in the lead up to the iraq war??? (the answer is no, they were too busy shilling for karl rove/dick cheney/neocons in general)

I get why the lifestyle reporters weren't covering Iraq but they are in one of the most vibrant social scenes in the country how can you justify covering this poo poo.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

One of my favorite nyt culture articles was about taking a weekend and slumming it in centre city Philadelphia

lol yeah a real slum

also to compare and contrast, heres wapo right now:

"muscular" is lol worthy but at least there's a near front and center link to the fact that he's loving lying and made the same loving speech he always gives but just less loud

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

yeah ill probably cancel nyt, im not paying for wapo cause its a free 6 month soooo

when you pay for the times you should think of it like donating to a public broadcasting station

any given day theyll have a bunch of frustrating garbage but then kablammo!! they drop a major investigative report that produces real world effects

yeah the report will prob be major enough news that youll hear about it in detail whether or not you subscribe but you pay for the paper to help them keep the lights on during the investigation

and really if you arent tuned into a lot of other news sources paging thru the nyt is a good way to survey the days happenings around the world

but like so is google news so

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

[bends the knee]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fullhouse posted:

lol cheerleading an absolutely horrifying speech as "wait, the fascism is scripted now? so presidential!!" is just a bad day

it's this. Anyone who spouts the narrative of 'oh ok this fascism has a SCRIPT WRITER so it's more acceptable' needs to be shut down. He literally proposed Nazi-era propaganda and used his bully pulpit to try to shame into silence the father of a dead SEAL who wants investigations

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

mmm yes we the goons of some things are awful, dot com are an intellectually elite bunch over the common pleb masses *chuckles*

I look forward to your piece on the travails and heartaches of Lahoosa, West Virginia.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That's still not great. And no one even noticed the US existed until WWII. OK some of that was euros being assholes, but it's not an empire if no one acknowledges it.

They noticed when we took the Phillipines from Spain.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

triple sulk posted:

lol yeah a real slum

also to compare and contrast, heres wapo right now:

"muscular" is lol worthy but at least there's a near front and center link to the fact that he's loving lying and made the same loving speech he always gives but just less loud

why was their protest action to wear surrender colors and meekly avoid confronting the president

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

it's loving inexcusable to not see the navy seal thing as utterly disgusting. the speech was disgusting.

There's a reason they were dying for a long time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I get that we're doomed to repeat history because we forget it but this isn't something that happened 100 years ago. Multiple times in the last year Trump has done something vaguely gracious or serious and the entire media tripped over itself to say he was finally going to be presidential, then three days later he's threatening and belittling his skin cream manufacturer over Twitter. Why haven't they learned their lesson.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Ok good point, that's pretty imperial

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

One of my favorite nyt culture articles was about taking a weekend and slumming it in centre city Philadelphia

one of those reminders that despite being "failing" according to the president, nyt still has enough money for its writers to expense their twee little vacations and such if they do an article about it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/837007578118893571

glossing over this article it's pretty good

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Squizzle posted:

why was their protest action to wear surrender colors and meekly avoid confronting the president

shoulda done a real white feather thing, imo, and each of them given trump a white feather for being a coward

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

*nods sincerely* ed balls

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Relin posted:

i see the dow keeps reaching higher and higher. i thought trumps buffoonery would have a negative effect...

Lol what makes you think the stock market isn't just a bunch of coked up white dudes locked in a testosterone pressure cooker?

Like lmao if the past 8 years have taught you anything it should be that the stock market doesn't have much impact on real people past a certain point

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i think they said the white clothes thing had to do with suffragettes

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

shoulda done a real white feather thing, imo, and each of them given trump a white feather for being a coward

these woman, they love me, always giving me gifts!!!!!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

In a sea of black and dark blue, white is probably the most attention-grabbing color you could use.

A really bright yellow would work, too, but most people probably don't have a lot of yellow clothes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
torment havers can i bamboozle everyone instead of fighting if i go all in on int?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'll remember this day if the times publishes something that finally takes trump down

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah I'd argue the US became an empire when we sunk a huge chunk of the Spanish colonial fleet and took a bunch of their overseas territories in a war we pretty soundly defeated them in

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
the economy is going to collapse sooner rather then later, in 2007 people were seeing the warning signs of the collapse but said consistently that it would be a few years before it came to a head and then all of a sudden in summer of 2008 we have investment firms starting to fail left and right. if trump actually goes through with his new trade rules where he can apply tariffs in retaliation to other countries, we are going to see this collapse sooner rather than later since its going to usher in a global wave of protectionism against the US and lol hope people enjoy paying 20% more for common goods at the grocery store!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stock market is hugely important lol

Wtf

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Thanks this article says exactly what I've been thinking for the last 16 hours.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Corny posted:

the economy is going to collapse sooner rather then later, in 2007 people were seeing the warning signs of the collapse but said consistently that it would be a few years before it came to a head and then all of a sudden in summer of 2008 we have investment firms starting to fail left and right. if trump actually goes through with his new trade rules where he can apply tariffs in retaliation to other countries, we are going to see this collapse sooner rather than later since its going to usher in a global wave of protectionism against the US and lol hope people enjoy paying 20% more for common goods at the grocery store!

Housing bubble was identified and talked about as early as 2003 iirc. Certainly 2005

Credit default swaps were kind of unknown I guess

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Corny posted:

between this, brexit and possible frexit lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I get that we're doomed to repeat history because we forget it but this isn't something that happened 100 years ago. Multiple times in the last year Trump has done something vaguely gracious or serious and the entire media tripped over itself to say he was finally going to be presidential, then three days later he's threatening and belittling his skin cream manufacturer over Twitter. Why haven't they learned their lesson.

They're desperate for trump to be legitimate and for people to get quietly deported so they can resume peacefully draining the country of material wealth

Like on an unconscious level they have to admit that the status quo is entirely unsustainable, they just want to cash out before the poo poo hits the fan

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i like the washington post but they're paying a guy who unironically wrote "BUT, he offered a defense of his nationalist views, [and this is a good thing]" and just let that sit there, uncritically examined

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

Wtf

i think what is meant is that unless you have a meaningful 401k that you probably aren't affected as much and it's long term wealth where you get hurt.

edit: yeah i guess housing is bad too but 401k is where a lotta people got destroyed in 2008

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

i'll remember this day if the times publishes something that finally takes trump down

among other things it will mean their 40+ years of Watergate Envy might finally end

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

it's loving inexcusable to not see the navy seal thing as utterly disgusting. the speech was disgusting.

yea prob already said this put I had to turn that poo poo off and then proceeded to drink heavily

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jose posted:

torment havers can i bamboozle everyone instead of fighting if i go all in on int?

There is still fighting you will have to do. But Intelligence and Wisdom are fantastic in conversations. I think Wisdom also gives you bonus xp.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

euphronius posted:

I actually don't think it will majorly recess until after the 2020 election lol

I'm less optimistic. GDP growth slowed to 1.9% in the 4th quarter of 2016 and only grew 1.6% for all of 2016.

The economy is stalling out and Trump is going to push it straight over the cliff.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

iirc she was actually pretending to get her rear end eaten, with some kind of hidden motorized gizmo making her butt cheeks vibrate

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

euphronius posted:

Wtf

it's important in that it is the top of our top-down economic model and while laborers will never see returns from rising stock prices unless they're very invested, they will definitely be the first ones that get hosed over if those prices suddenly collapse

privatized profits and socialized losses

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Wtf

For the people who heavily interact with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jose posted:

possible frexit lol

It's this just if le pen wins or is this something new?

• Locked thread