Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Arson Daily posted:

Famous last words.

I mean, there could be a slowdown but there are 3 big airlines now, all with massive retirement waves- there is essentially zero chance of mass furloughs for the next decade at least. Warren Buffett just invested huge in airlines after decades of saying they are poison. The landscape is not the same.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Look man, the last time I heard all of this was in 2008, and the great recession and the age 65 rule hit. The time before that, 9/11 happened. I'm not saying that something catastrophic is going to happen, but it could. Having a plan B,C,D and E is essentially required if you're going to survive in this business.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Airlines have a long history of cyclical boom & bust, expecting this to change is foolish. The very real possibility of pilots going away much sooner than anyone expects is looming as well. Save some cash youngins, you won't regret it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
bbbbbbut it's different this time! :allears:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My flight is delayed because "the fuel gauges don't work" and "a guy has to come measure the fuel by hand".

The dude that came on board looks like Jonah Hill in a skit about the Hilarious Stoner Airplane Mechanic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jealous Cow posted:

My flight is delayed because "the fuel gauges don't work" and "a guy has to come measure the fuel by hand".

The dude that came on board looks like Jonah Hill in a skit about the Hilarious Stoner Airplane Mechanic.

I hope they do the unit conversion right.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Platystemon posted:

I hope they do the unit conversion right.

I heard Gimli is lovely right now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bunnyofdoom posted:

I heard Gimli is lovely right now.

Something tells me these guys don't have glider experience.

I'm in a ERJ170 over eastern Ohio at the moment almost over the PA border on the way to LGA.

Edit: flying eastbound level at FL260 ergggg

Edit2: ok now we're climbing. I think we were kept at FL260 to allow a northbound aircraft pass over us.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 28, 2017

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Jealous Cow posted:

Do any fuel gauges on planes work beyond "gas" or "no gas"? Because that's all I've seen so far.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nuggan posted:

Do any fuel gauges on planes work beyond "gas" or "no gas"? Because that's all I've seen so far.

Don't newer commercial aircraft have some in-tank measuring system that is supposed to be somewhat reliable? The gauges mean nothing on the Warrior I've flown...

Also, as you can tell I am still alive. The taxi I'm now in is much more likely to kill me anyway.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The right wing in the Cherokee I fly most often reads 20gal whenever I fly it. For other people it's fine, when I get in to preflight taxi and runup it's fine, as soon as I take the weight off the wheels.. .20 gal.

Last time I flew it I showed my instructor and he just kinda went :psyduck: and said he'd have his mechanic look at it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nuggan posted:

Yeah. Like to the pound. Most planes offer insane control over their fuel systems.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah. Like to the pound. Most planes offer insane control over their fuel systems.

About that. Apparently the CRJ has a fuel driven flap system because every time you put them out you suddenly "lose" several hundred LBS of fuel.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KodiakRS posted:

About that. Apparently the CRJ has a fuel driven flap system because every time you put them out you suddenly "lose" several hundred LBS of fuel.

:canada:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I am thinking about going to Scottsdale with a friend for a week to do a "finish up" program on my PPL. I've been fighting bad weather, my schedule, and broken planes over the last year to log 35 hours and just hit my first solo.

Anyone have any experience with these programs in general? or specifically at SDL? Or with American Flyers? http://www.americanflyers.net/about/pilot_rating_finish_up.htm

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

dexter6 posted:

I am thinking about going to Scottsdale with a friend for a week to do a "finish up" program on my PPL. I've been fighting bad weather, my schedule, and broken planes over the last year to log 35 hours and just hit my first solo.

Anyone have any experience with these programs in general? or specifically at SDL? Or with American Flyers? http://www.americanflyers.net/about/pilot_rating_finish_up.htm

I know a commercial pilot from the Addison school that liked the program.

With that said, they have an awful reputation in the Dallas area from other schools and instructors. I can't count on one hand the number of times they tried to kill me.

I've been over-flown by them on short final, they flew the opposite approach of traffic during my solo with more than five aircraft in the pattern, they flew above my aircraft at 500-700 ft separation when I was practicing turns around a point, more TIS alerts and advoidance manuvers than I can remember, and more!

How much more? Much more! Their plane shredded a tire on the taxiway at Addison, and they didn't see fit to tell anyone about the FOD. Routinely told other pilots while this may not be the standard (read: safe) way of doing things, but upholds FARs... This was over the radio... As well as more poo poo that Ive since forgotten, because it's been more than five years since I've flown in the Dallas area.

While most of this could be attributed to lovely students; it seems like it's their culture in the Dallas area. I haven't heard anything about the ksdl school.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

If you had said "The CRJ has a fuel driven flap system and you lose several hundred LBS of fuel when you put them out" I'd totally have believed it.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Well, just did my night time cross country. It went pretty well once I stopped caring where I was writing times that I couldn't see and just wrote them in the margin of my flight planner sheet.

I like flying at night, calm and peaceful.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, I haven't posted in a while. I guess an OP update is in order, Desi - YOW - ATP FI FII MEI

Got my ATPL signed off and start ground school flying the Mitsubushi MU2 in Medevac Ops in a few days! Intesting times out there, you yanks are struggling to fill seats on jets whereas here in Canada the regonals are still being picky as to the type of time you have and are still hiring almost exclusively from the North. The head of recruitment at Porter told me that as a pilot group of 400 (IIRC) only 3 had exclusively instructor time before being hired. Ah well, was looking to skip going up north but I'm game for the adventure.

Because I'm a nerd I went through my logbook and compiled some stats from my three years of instructing. After 1,350 hours of Dual Given (1700TT), and flying with 257 unique students I signed off on 11 Private Licenses, 7 Commercial Licenses, 7 First Solos, 6 Night Ratings, 42 Multi Ratings, and 49 IFR. I'm exhausted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

So, I haven't posted in a while. I guess an OP update is in order, Desi - YOW - ATP FI FII MEI

Got my ATPL signed off and start ground school flying the Mitsubushi MU2 in Medevac Ops in a few days! Intesting times out there, you yanks are struggling to fill seats on jets whereas here in Canada the regonals are still being picky as to the type of time you have and are still hiring almost exclusively from the North. The head of recruitment at Porter told me that as a pilot group of 400 (IIRC) only 3 had exclusively instructor time before being hired. Ah well, was looking to skip going up north but I'm game for the adventure.

gently caress, that's not a good sign for my current plan.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

gently caress, that's not a good sign for my current plan.

1700TT, 600MPIC and yeah no call backs from Jazz/Sky/GGN/WJE. I had my pick of 704/3 companies though and I think I wound up at one of the most highly reputed companies in the North. From what I've gathered, in Canada, instructing is only good to a) skip the ramp, and b) get your pick of the smaller northern operators. You're going up North. Towards the end of teaching I actually started advising my students to skip the instructor rating altogether, ramp times are getting hilariously low nowadays - I've heard of guys doing 3-6mo and getting on as PC12 FOs (legit because opspec).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

1700TT, 600MPIC and yeah no call backs from Jazz/Sky/GGN/WJE. I had my pick of 704/3 companies though and I think I wound up at one of the most highly reputed companies in the North. From what I've gathered, in Canada, instructing is only good to a) skip the ramp, and b) get your pick of the smaller northern operators. You're going up North. Towards the end of teaching I actually started advising my students to skip the instructor rating altogether, ramp times are getting hilariously low nowadays - I've heard of guys doing 3-6mo and getting on as PC12 FOs (legit because opspec).

Skipping the ramp and having my choice of smaller operators later on both appeal to me, so I think I'll probably still go the instructor route, even if it might be a bit more expensive. The flying club here gives you a huge discount on multi and multi-IFR training if you instruct with them, so I don't think it would be a huge difference.

What about operators like Pacific Coastal, Central Mountain Air, and those sorts? Are they 704? I'll admit I haven't done a huge amount of investigation.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Desi posted:

Got my ATPL signed off and start ground school flying the Mitsubushi MU2 in Medevac Ops in a few days!

If you're flying a MU-2 in Canada, that pretty much gives away who you're working for ;) And yeah, you'll do OK there.

PT6A posted:

What about operators like Pacific Coastal, Central Mountain Air, and those sorts? Are they 704? I'll admit I haven't done a huge amount of investigation.

Yeah they're 704, but CMA you can pretty much throw out the window as they're basically under the same conditions as GGN in terms of requirements. Pacific Coastal is easier, but on the other hand you're probably living in Greater Vancouver, and LOL if you think you can do that on an entry-level pilot salary.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 2, 2017

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Skipping the ramp and having my choice of smaller operators later on both appeal to me, so I think I'll probably still go the instructor route, even if it might be a bit more expensive. The flying club here gives you a huge discount on multi and multi-IFR training if you instruct with them, so I don't think it would be a huge difference.

Not a bad strategy. Multi and IFR, when the time comes, look at Cornwall. That's where I've been teaching. Lets just say that a number of my students came from schools where they had discounts too, but we were still cheaper and faster. Caveat is that its quick and dirty IFR, enough if you'll be sitting in a plane as an FO, not so much if you plan on doing single-pilot IFR.

PT6A posted:

As MrChips said, the pay leaves a bit to be desired. I have a few students that wound up at PasCo but they were guys with a tonne of time already on floats or in the bush in Africa (3000+ TT). Funny story, one of the told me that in the float community, getting your Multi and IFR is known as 'Gettin yer grade 10'. I fired off a resume and never heard back (granted it was only about a month ago I decided to give the Left Coast a shot).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrChips posted:

If you're flying a MU-2 in Canada, that pretty much gives away who you're working for ;) And yeah, you'll do OK there.

Haha yep, don't want to advertise who it is, but it isn't a secret or anything. I know a lot of people that have gone through there and flown the MU2 that have had a good time. I have been told that 'If you cowboy it, you will die' about the plane though, so that's fun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

Haha yep, don't want to advertise who it is, but it isn't a secret or anything. I know a lot of people that have gone through there and flown the MU2 that have had a good time. I have been told that 'If you cowboy it, you will die' about the plane though, so that's fun.

There used to be one based out of Springbank, and I always thought it looked like a very cool plane to fly. Hope it goes well for you, and I certainly appreciate the career advice.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Desi posted:

Yeah that about sums it up. I did the MU-2 for a few years (not out there, but for a local private operator, and not the guy out at Springbank) and the best piece of advice I can give is if you lose an engine and treat it like a piston twin, it will loving kill you dead in a heartbeat. Treat it like a jet, follow the climb schedule and you'll be just fine. Also, holy poo poo be careful rolling the aircraft in that situation - with roll spoilers rather than ailerons it can make the last few remaining minutes of your life very, uhh, eventful. Still, it was fun as gently caress to fly once you got to learn it's quirks.

I recommend a good headset as it's about the loudest loving airplane I've ever been in - dunno if it was just because I flew a short-body rather than the Marquise, if I'm honest. Hell, I would even go as far as saying you might want to consider wearing a set of musician's ear plugs underneath them if you have a long day of flying scheduled.

E: PT6A have you thought of working overseas? I get the impression that as a relatively young guy with not a lot tying you down that you could take advantage of some of the opportunities out there. I mean, it's not a world of lollipops, jets and rainbows if you're a 250-hour wonder, but if it were me in that position it would be a hell of a lot more attractive and exciting than working up in BFE Nunavut for a few years.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 2, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

E: PT6A have you thought of working overseas? I get the impression that as a relatively young guy with not a lot tying you down that you could take advantage of some of the opportunities out there. I mean, it's not a world of lollipops, jets and rainbows if you're a 250-hour wonder, but if it were me in that position it would be a hell of a lot more attractive and exciting than working up in BFE Nunavut for a few years.

I've considered it. I think one of my current instructors is planning to go over to Europe. Any idea how difficult it would be to get a work visa for the EU?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Desi posted:

Congrats,

Good fair place to work at who won't try to kill you.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

All of the long time MU-2 guys I've met have been....interesting, I guess. They all seem to have the same hunted look on their faces, like they're being chased by a rabid dog. Or maybe its the lingering effects of the goddamn TPE-331 howl seeping from their bodies.

Question: It seems to me that MU-2's always take forever to either taxi after the engines are started or to shutdown after they've taxied in. Why is that? Someone once told me it was because you had to stabilize the gearbox temps but i think it's a passive aggressive attempt to piss everyone within a 25 mile radius off.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 2, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What's the logic in :canada: behind working the ramp before actually getting flight time at a company? A form of "payin' your dues"/getting your foot in the door or vetting the employees to see who's worth it?

Being from :911: and watching Ice Pilots NWT when I was still thinking of going the pilot route (though I think even in this thread, it's been said they're a less-than-desirable place to work), the concept of "Well, go live in Hay River and meet the flights as a rampie, then be a rampie in Yellowknife, then serve coffee to the folks in the back in the sked there and then maybe we'll let you fly" format seemed totally foreign/rear end backwards in terms of getting time built to go somewhere else eventually.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I don't know but it's loving retarded and one of the reasons why I'm probably going to stick to flying for fun. gently caress anyone that expects me to pay drat near med school money for my license and then be a baggage handler for poo poo money and have to smile like a chimp the entire time I'm doing it hoping to charm my way into the right seat.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Do you PPLs keep a copy of your POH and FARAIM in ForeFlight?

If so, where did you download copies of them? Would be nice if they were imported with bookmarks and everything but not sure if that is possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the logic in :canada: behind working the ramp before actually getting flight time at a company? A form of "payin' your dues"/getting your foot in the door or vetting the employees to see who's worth it?

Being from :911: and watching Ice Pilots NWT when I was still thinking of going the pilot route (though I think even in this thread, it's been said they're a less-than-desirable place to work), the concept of "Well, go live in Hay River and meet the flights as a rampie, then be a rampie in Yellowknife, then serve coffee to the folks in the back in the sked there and then maybe we'll let you fly" format seemed totally foreign/rear end backwards in terms of getting time built to go somewhere else eventually.

Yeah, it's pretty rear end-backwards. The great thing is that I'm not counting on this as a career, and I won't be coming out of training in debt, so I don't have to eat any level of poo poo I don't want to. The plan right now is to finish off my CPL, go right into the instructor rating, then instruct part-time as I'm doing multi and IFR. Apparently the flying club is hurting for instructors at the moment (perhaps because airlines aren't hiring anyone with pure instructor time, so fewer people are doing the instructor rating), but I'm not going to force anything because, no matter what job I take, it's gonna involve a pay cut at the very least, so I'm not also going to compromise my quality of life too much. At worst, I'll fly for fun while doing my current job until something opens up, either local or good.

One thing to mention is that some companies will take you on at lower minimums if you're willing to work the ramp for a while, so it's sort of a choice whether you want to do that -- you'll get into bigger airplanes sooner, for less money, so it's not 100% bad.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

All of the long time MU-2 guys I've met have been....interesting, I guess. They all seem to have the same hunted look on their faces, like they're being chased by a rabid dog. Or maybe its the lingering effects of the goddamn TPE-331 howl seeping from their bodies.

Question: It seems to me that MU-2's always take forever to either taxi after the engines are started or to shutdown after they've taxied in. Why is that? Someone once told me it was because you had to stabilize the gearbox temps but i think it's a passive aggressive attempt to piss everyone within a 25 mile radius off.

WHAT? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP I CAN BARELY HEAR YOU

:v:

Yeah, it's to stabilise temperatures in the gearbox and engine - the TPE-331 is susceptible to shaft bow under certain circumstances, so a proper cooldown especially is important. On startup, remember that once you switch out of ground fine those sausage grinders spin at 96-97% RPM pretty much all the time, so again a proper warmup is vital to not incinerating the bearings in the engine.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The more I hear about the MU-2 the more it sounds like a terrible plane. Yet every time I bring it up people say "It's not a dangerous you just have to understand how to handle it." I'm starting to think those people are wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

The more I hear about the MU-2 the more it sounds like a terrible plane. Yet every time I bring it up people say "It's not a dangerous you just have to understand how to handle it." I'm starting to think those people are wrong.

Well, you could say that for every aircraft with a type rating then?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, you could say that for every aircraft with a type rating then?

Also: why did it ever not require a type rating? Is this another discrepancy between Canadian and US laws?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PT6A posted:

Also: why did it ever not require a type rating? Is this another discrepancy between Canadian and US laws?

MTOW was just below the minimum and turboprops aren't automatic rating requirement. Until recently the MU-2 was accessible to anyone who could fly a piston twin.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

MTOW was just below the minimum and turboprops aren't automatic rating requirement. Until recently the MU-2 was accessible to anyone who could fly a piston twin.

So it is a difference between Canadian and US law then. I don't think we have a MTOW restriction, but any aircraft with Vs0 > 80kts or Vne > 250 requires a type rating, regardless of engines or weight.

Does that mean that a TBM700, for example, wouldn't require a type rating in the US?

• Locked thread