Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

He should really put seatbelts on the bridge.

I misread this as the fridge and it still works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Holy gently caress, I am continually amazed at how bad people are at talking on the phone. I might give a pass to some 20 year old in his first desk job, but these are dudes who are old enough to be my dad and should definitely know their way around (a) a phone, and (b) calling a business. Did you know that there are multiple people with the name Kyle? Shocking but true! Fortunately we have this amazing new* invention called a "last name" which will generally identify people to a singular degree, at least within a given office. And yet nearly every single loving day I get "I need to talk to kyle" "okay which kyle?" "duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrr idanno :saddowns:" or "you have more than one?!" How do you not know that people's first names are not unique? How do you not know kyle is ultra-common?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had people call me because my name was the first one in the directory and they thought it would be faster to just have me figure out who to transfer them to.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My name is the same as our President's so I get a lot of cold-call emails that I just ignore.

Our IT guy sent out an "Amazon's services are disrupted today, 95% of our software is fine but this one product will be unusable until Amazon's engineers correct the problem," notice.

One of our sales staff emailed him back asking how long until he himself personally fixed it.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Pleads posted:

Our IT guy sent out an "Amazon's services are disrupted today, 95% of our software is fine but this one product will be unusable until Amazon's engineers correct the problem," notice.

One of our sales staff emailed him back asking how long until he himself personally fixed it.

Gotta love it - not as bad as some i'm sure, but I still got something along those lines 4 or 5 times today.

No, we can't bring Amazon's servers back up instantly, even if you need to get at <webpage> really, really, really bad.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pleads posted:

My name is the same as our President's so I get a lot of cold-call emails that I just ignore.

I keep getting a call from a sales company I'm pretty sure we've never worked with, asking for a person I can't confirm exists.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I had to listen to a bunch of smug engineers today because we chose Azure over AWS.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

How do you not know kyle is ultra-common?

I don't disagree with your premise, but your post made me realize that I haven't met anyone named Kyle since I was like 12. I'm 30 lol.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
My boss was out today, so I got to baby sit perfume lady since she can't go more than 10 minutes without breaking stuff.

today's highlights:

her realizing--5 months on the job--yes, your job as program manager is largely double checking to make sure people have been doing stuff with your paperwork
    her realizing most of her paperwork was never filed correctly because she can't follow simple instructions in our SOP. Which I now email to her (and cc bosses) after every goddamn dumb time my time is wasted on poo poo like this.
    teaching her how the refresh button works on an internet browser.

on the plus side, the perfume bullshit stopped because I emailed both bosses just before a meeting saying that her perfume was giving me migraines. My boss' boss stopped the meeting to tell perfume lady that she's severely allergic and it needs to stop ASAP.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Meydey posted:

I had to listen to a bunch of smug engineers today because we chose Azure over AWS.

That position is such a time bomb. As soon as azure has a problem anybody who got annoyed at their smug is going to rub their noses in it.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi I just wanted to say how I am smugly enjoying the corporate idiots sweating this week over the botched golive for the new RIS/PACS system because nobody showed up to change the IP addresses on the x-ray units. I can't possibly imagine why Carestream wouldn't be in a hurry to send their midatlantic service engineer out after spending years telling them to gently caress off and refuse to do any service contracts. Also telling them that you plan on throwing the several hundred thousand dollar digital x-ray unit in the trash instead of paying the $8000 to get the workstation computer replaced. Wish there was a way I could burn them for laughing at me when I suggested maybe we should replace these dose calibrators that passed their end of life date 10 years ago. I'll have to remember to draft my concerns using libreoffice on my windows xp dell micro.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Gonna be involved in some peer interviews next week for an open position. We're supposed to come up with our questions beforehand. We have to ask each candidate the same questions, but we are able to ask follow up questions based on their answers.

Anyone have any suggestions on good questions to ask? This isn't a technical position. It's document processing. The employee would spend most of the day processing paper forms and electronic documents, making sure everything submitted to us is acceptable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe something like "Tell me about a time where you completed an important, but somewhat boring or tedious task. What were some strategies you used to make the task more fun, or easier to stay focused?"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy gently caress, I am continually amazed at how bad people are at talking on the phone. I might give a pass to some 20 year old in his first desk job, but these are dudes who are old enough to be my dad and should definitely know their way around (a) a phone, and (b) calling a business. Did you know that there are multiple people with the name Kyle? Shocking but true! Fortunately we have this amazing new* invention called a "last name" which will generally identify people to a singular degree, at least within a given office. And yet nearly every single loving day I get "I need to talk to kyle" "okay which kyle?" "duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrr idanno :saddowns:" or "you have more than one?!" How do you not know that people's first names are not unique? How do you not know kyle is ultra-common?

More and more I've truly come to believe we're all just monkeys, howling and jabbing at the big black impenetrable monolith with sticks.

AAAAHHH the monolith speaks! AAAHHHH! Oh hi Craig, I'd like to talk about an invoice :phone:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Here are sample documents that someone's submitted to you. Here's the rules that apply to them. Please tell me if all of these documents are acceptable. If any is not acceptable, please point out any mistakes that would require it to be rewritten."

How much critical thinking does this job entail?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Tell me about a time where doing your job correctly depended on other people completing certain steps correctly, how did you handle situations where people failed to complete those steps correctly?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Tell me about a time where doing your job correctly depended on other people completing certain steps correctly, how did you handle situations where people failed to complete those steps correctly?

Oh man, that's a nice one. I'm going to use a variant of that.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I appreciate the optimism inherent to thinking the pattern can be isolated to examples and not expressed as trends.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Today, on separate occasions, two of the persons who trained me a few months ago, came to me with questions regarding their job and how to do it.
Written down like this it is ridiculous but it became a compliment when it turned out they meant: "You make the job look so easy, teach me your ways so I can be as laid back as you are."

I feel pretty good now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

18 Character Limit posted:

I appreciate the optimism inherent to thinking the pattern can be isolated to examples and not expressed as trends.

I especially hate "tell me about a time when..." style questions. I don't know, I have a terrible memory. Enjoy the example I just made up from half remembered truths even though I'm sure I could point you to great examples of things if I actually had a non stressful period to think.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Volmarias posted:

just made up from half remembered truths

Hey, you reviewed my resume!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"What would you say is your greatest weakness? I'm asking you this because my well-thumbed Management for the Modern OfficeTM book said it would offer valuable insight into your thinking process, viz a viz Googling canned responses to stock job interview questions".

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I especially hate "tell me about a time when..." style questions. I don't know, I have a terrible memory. Enjoy the example I just made up from half remembered truths even though I'm sure I could point you to great examples of things if I actually had a non stressful period to think.

You should always have a few "poo poo happened" stories ready to go when that question comes up. Always phrase it in a way that not too many were hurt/$$ lost but you definitely learned something and it will never happen again.
I have a few ready, but honestly I can't remember if they really happened or not, or were just made up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Volmarias posted:

Having been on an interviewing course before, I can tell you this style of question is because anyone can tell you what they think you should do in a situation, what you've ACTUALLY done is far more useful. I just have a few real situations I twist around and tweak to match the question asked, seems to be working for me. If you can make convincing poo poo up on the fly then more power to you.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just like to make potential employees squirm. :v:

I also like to give people example scenarios of relevant problems from the job that I don't actually think they can solve on their own, tell them I'm their SME so ask me any questions, and give them 15 minutes to tell me what they think should be done and why. I am apparently Satan.

(Actually, that last one is extremely useful if you suspect you have a super kickass candidate. Most people can't critically think for poo poo, especially if they have no experience to pull from. If you find someone who can, HIRE HER.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

I've been to places where you write out your answer in advance and then speak to it during the interview itself.

So unrelated: I work at a place where we have a formal coaching program. My coach recently quit. As I develop the relationship with my new coach (who I chose) does anyone have suggestions for the types of questions that would help me get he most out of coaching. It's not explicitly mentoring but if anyone has been a mentee that's more what I'm going for. I'll have some specific corporate stuff too but I know what to ask there.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Yawgmoth posted:

This isn't actually an uncommon thing. If you're talking with a business dealing with the general public especially, but even business to business last names aren't a common thing.
Case in point : VP <name>, IT <name>, Accountant <name>; Nurse <name>, Assistant <name>. This was in a remarkably small organization.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yawgmoth posted:

We have a ton of redundant names and even worse are the near-homophones especially with the regional accent :argh:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blue_monday posted:

This isn't actually an uncommon thing. If you're talking with a business dealing with the general public especially, but even business to business last names aren't a common thing.
Case in point : VP <name>, IT <name>, Accountant <name>; Nurse <name>, Assistant <name>. This was in a remarkably small organization.
I'm not saying it's uncommon, I'm saying it's irritating. I know that for us at least, our email sigs have our full name on them and our sales guys use their full names because they want the people they call to call back and actually get to them. But for some reason people can't get the very small amount of info I actually need to forward them to the right person and instead just want to go off their memory of an email they got last week.

Another related irritating thing: people can't get the most basic actually important information to me, but want to chatter on and on about poo poo I don't know or care about like that completely unrelated poo poo will ever matter. I just need your name, company, and who you're calling for, that's it! I don't care where your company is or what you do or your title or why you're calling or what your favorite color is or the species of lizard you most identify with or anything at all. I do not give a single solid or liquid poo poo if you say "he's expecting my call" because (a) odds are you're lying, and (b) even if you are telling the truth, why would I care? Do you think I'm going to treat you any differently just because you claim that "he knows who I am"? Because I won't, but if I did it would be negatively because that's the kind of crap telemarketers calling off a list of 15 million people say.

Draxamus posted:

Gonna be involved in some peer interviews next week for an open position. We're supposed to come up with our questions beforehand. We have to ask each candidate the same questions, but we are able to ask follow up questions based on their answers.

Anyone have any suggestions on good questions to ask? This isn't a technical position. It's document processing. The employee would spend most of the day processing paper forms and electronic documents, making sure everything submitted to us is acceptable.
Get extremely meta: "tell me about a time when someone asked an incredibly inane question, but you had to both pretend it was a valid question and bullshit up a reasonable sounding answer in short order."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Yawgmoth posted:

I do not give a single solid or liquid poo poo if you say "he's expecting my call" because (a) odds are you're lying, and (b) even if you are telling the truth, why would I care? Do you think I'm going to treat you any differently just because you claim that "he knows who I am"?

"How come he didn't give you his direct number then?"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FrozenVent posted:

"How come he didn't give you his direct number then?"
Because we don't give out direct numbers. :v: Ostensibly so that you always talk to a person when you call in even if your sales guy is on the phone or in a meeting or whatever, but really it's so I can filter calls.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The worst was when he had an extremely obnoxious client who would call and ask for one of the staff. When you asked him for his name so we could let them know who was calling, he would say 'She knows who I am!' and get all huffy about having to identify himself. Its great that she knows you, but even if she is just dying to get your call, I need to tell her that you're calling! Then she'll say 'great, I know that guy, put him through'. That isn't going to happen if I have to say 'There is someone calling, but he refuses to say who he is and also sounds pretty pissed?' No one wants that call!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Draxamus posted:

Come up with a likely snag and ask them to tell you about a time they fixed it and what their process was?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The new QC manager is finally comfortable enough with me to share valuable information about a vimana found Afghanistan that Obama went to visit (not sure how he got out? It was in a time well, is my understanding) and raised an interesting question: did Einstein learn about relativity from the Akashic record?

Hey, read these links and tell me what you think. Some interesting stuff.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I found a lunch-size bag of chips in the community fridge today.

To the sales rep who was really looking forward to their cold Lay's this afternoon: sorry.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

C-Euro posted:

To the sales rep who was really looking forward to their cold Lay's this afternoon: sorry.

BURN THE WITCH

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Did you eat someone else's food from the fridge?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

C-Euro posted:

Volmarias posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

I think C-Euro just took them out of the fridge

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

Nah, it was from one of the free lunches they give out but I took it out of the fridge because who the hell eats refrigerated potato chips?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Someone setting them aside so they can have a bag later?