Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

Tunnelblick for MacOS is free and has never let me down in any capacity. Does Viscosity do something it doesn't, save for cost $9?

viscosity isn't hideous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

minivanmegafun posted:

well seeing that almost all of the updates are to push new builds of OpenSSL you're more correct than you realize

Well maybe I did realize and I am also a comedy genius? Hm! You ever think of that?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

bobfather posted:

Tunnelblick for MacOS is free and has never let me down in any capacity. Does Viscosity do something it doesn't, save for cost $9?

don't be cheap, also there is a demo period like almost all software available if you really care, which it doesn't seem like you do at all

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Thanks for literally nothing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

WireGuard is the new hotness btw.

it barely works on linux and doesn't work on anything else

i'd like to use it because it sounds promising but every time i remember it exists and check on it it's basically not progressed past the last time i looked 3 months earlier

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

xpost, holy loly

incoherent posted:

Please regale me in your stories today of management asking you, personally, to contact Mr. Zon to ask what's up with the cloud.

e: classic

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

cheese-cube posted:

xpost, holy loly

There's a reply to that somewhere from memory which is something like "you loving idiot. You massive dipshit oval office. Why would you be relying on this"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol nice

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheese-cube posted:

xpost, holy loly

:stare:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

xpost, holy loly

:smithicide:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theodop posted:

There's a reply to that somewhere from memory which is something like "you loving idiot. You massive dipshit oval office. Why would you be relying on this"
did anyone do a "lost another one to ditec" joke

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

<3 openvpn, my home router is running multiple instances, with/without redirecting all traffic over the tunnel, and on alternative ports like udp 53 and tcp 443 (though yeah tcp/ip over tcp isnt great but if everything else is blocked from some location then its better than nothing)

fyi, openvpn has support for a http wrapper. you set up nginx or whatever, and proxy it to the openvpn http handler. that way, even dumbass firewalls which inspect your traffic to make sure it's valid http traffic can't block your poo poo, it's the best thing and I've used it before and there's no noticeable performance loss over the standard tcp tunnel, mtu is just slightly lower but that's it.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#http

e: in secfuck is coming from within the thread news, i got around to adding the internal ca to the system store on my fedora laptop (I just had it in firefox until now because I didn't need non-https things before).

now firefox tells me every certificate i issued has the wrong cn??? works fine in other browsers and i have no idea how to fix it

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 1, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

When Amazon's cloud storage fails, lots of people get wet

i think i found the perfect cloud2butt headline

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Truga posted:

their /dev/null implementation

because it doesn't exist

then what is nul:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crankit posted:

then what is nul:
baby dont hurt me

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

xpost, holy loly

incoherent posted:

Please regale me in your stories today of management asking you, personally, to contact Mr. Zon to ask what's up with my butt.

e: classic

so back when i worked for a colocation provider we had a very small POP in manhattan

and then hurricane sandy hit

of course everything went offline and no one could get in because gently caress it's a hurricane and no one is there to let you in

we had some weird guy like standing directly in front of the building screaming at me on the phone about how people were dying because he couldn't get in and get his server. his single-homed, single-instance, mission-critical server.

i'm of course in chicago where we were hq'd and all "welp sucks to be you, i can't do anything"

i think he tried to break in

i would like to think this is the same moron who didn't manage to learn his lesson the first time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

so back when i worked for a colocation provider we had a very small POP in manhattan

and then hurricane sandy hit

of course everything went offline and no one could get in because gently caress it's a hurricane and no one is there to let you in

we had some weird guy like standing directly in front of the building screaming at me on the phone about how people were dying because he couldn't get in and get his server. his single-homed, single-instance, mission-critical server.

i'm of course in chicago where we were hq'd and all "welp sucks to be you, i can't do anything"

i think he tried to break in

i would like to think this is the same moron who didn't manage to learn his lesson the first time.

Don't make fun of Lowtax and his choice of provider.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

viscosity isn't hideous

Username/post combo.

But yeah, openvpn is good, and tunnelblick ships upstream openvpn and takes normal openvpn configs, which is nice.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Dear xxxx:

The newly designed xxx Web Portal is in production on March 1, 2017. The new web portal can be accessed either through the same url as before REDACTED. You may need to reload the url REDACTED a few times to see the new web portal. In addition, please ignore the warning about the mismatch of the host name for the certificate of the new web site. We will have a new certificate for the new web portal in the near future.

Please send comments, feature requests and bug reports to BLACK HOLE WHERE WE WON'T PAY ATTENTION. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

zzzzzzzzz development team

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i once had a discussion with a developer who claimed that he was going to 'bolt the security on at a later date', maybe he works for you guys now?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Thanks Ants posted:

i once had a discussion with a developer who claimed that he was going to 'bolt the security on at a later date', maybe he works for you guys now?

if not, he may need a refresher course at upstairs virginia cyber school and ham outlet before the hire

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

i hope that dev is now dead. loving ignorant bastard. it's exactly that attitude which is the cause of all our problems. pissssssss

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Thanks Ants posted:

personally i'd rather have it riveted on

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://east-ee.com/2017/02/28/rebreakcaptcha-breaking-googles-recaptcha-v2-using-google/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

No mention of private disclosure before public disclosure, and the one comment at the bottom has a person saying they can't repro this.

A shameful disclosure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hahaha that owns

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spankmeister posted:

SMB is pretty chatty as far as file sharing protocols go.

that hasn't been true since 2.0 and its way better in 3.x

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo symantec mail security is leaving copies of people's email attachments sitting around as .tmp files in the root of C: gently caress this product

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lmbo symantec gently caress this product

ftfy

real talk though, if you've got on-premise exchange trend micro scanmail seems pretty OK. i've only had to install it and manage the exchange instances it's on but it seems very set-and-forget, never had any issues.

ofc you shld be doing anti-spam/av/whatever at the edge before it even hits your network but lol idk

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Truga posted:

fyi, openvpn has support for a http wrapper. you set up nginx or whatever, and proxy it to the openvpn http handler. that way, even dumbass firewalls which inspect your traffic to make sure it's valid http traffic can't block your poo poo, it's the best thing and I've used it before and there's no noticeable performance loss over the standard tcp tunnel, mtu is just slightly lower but that's it.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html#http

e: in secfuck is coming from within the thread news, i got around to adding the internal ca to the system store on my fedora laptop (I just had it in firefox until now because I didn't need non-https things before).

now firefox tells me every certificate i issued has the wrong cn??? works fine in other browsers and i have no idea how to fix it

Hollow Talk posted:

Username/post combo.

But yeah, openvpn is good, and tunnelblick ships upstream openvpn and takes normal openvpn configs, which is nice.

I thought the issue with OpenVPN was you were always relying on 3rd party VPN clients that would occasionally leak traffic under certain situations? That using a normal built-in IPSEC VPN was the more robust option?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cheese-cube posted:

i hope that dev is now dead. loving ignorant bastard. it's exactly that attitude which is the cause of all our problems. pissssssss

he's still alive and has since become the sort of person who wears odd socks on purpose to prove how laid back he is

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

he's still alive and has since become the sort of person who wears odd socks on purpose to prove how laid back he is

gently caress me the mans an insufferable singularity i really do hope he dies

e: mlmp

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

salted hash browns posted:

I thought the issue with OpenVPN was you were always relying on 3rd party VPN clients that would occasionally leak traffic under certain situations? That using a normal built-in IPSEC VPN was the more robust option?

i use vpn for 2 use cases:
- people at work might need access to internal file shares/*.lan services
- playing games via steam streaming from home on my chomebook (i openvpn to my rpi and wol my pc and can play anywhere) :v:
so there really isn't traffic that could leak. my clients prefer having split tunneling anyway cause the internet at work gets lovely during work hours and their youtubes stop working

i installed a pretty robust ikev2 solution at work and it performs great on lunix and android, pretty ok on windows, and very badly on sierra/ios (clients disconnect every 8 minutes). there's a workaround, but it involves settings that make windows clients not work at all, because windows only supports cyphers with sha1 and not sha256 . :rip:

i guess that's a good enough reason to just move to openvpn, in light of shattered thing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

vpn 2 use cases internal file shares/*.lan services steam streaming my chomebook openvpn to my rpi and wol my pc split tunneling their youtubes robust ikev2 solution on lunix and android on sierra/ios cyphers with sha1 and not sha256 . :rip:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Are you thinking of any more specific instances, or of leaked DNS? You can push DNS servers from the server to a client to solve that. That said, I haven't ever used it with Windows, only with Linux/MacOS/Android, so this might very well be an issue under some circumstances. There is apparently also a Windows-specific option --block-outside-dns regarding DNS leaks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

ftfy

real talk though, if you've got on-premise exchange trend micro scanmail seems pretty OK. i've only had to install it and manage the exchange instances it's on but it seems very set-and-forget, never had any issues.

ofc you shld be doing anti-spam/av/whatever at the edge before it even hits your network but lol idk

we're doing this because the edge is so misconfigured that it lets every possible thing through and I can't control it. and we are "standardized" on symantec so SMS was my only recourse and they block purchase of anything else

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

we're doing this because the edge is so misconfigured that it lets every possible thing through and I can't control it. and we are "standardized" on symantec so SMS was my only recourse and they block purchase of anything else

ah poo poo my condolences, especially if you've got messagelabs (now symantec.cloud) as your edge MTA. that product is hot garbage. for example, they recently got more than half of their MXs blacklisted by some prominent RBLs. who the gently caress even lets that happen?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lmbo symantec mail security

peter norton
mail cop

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

yeah, the official android client has a problem where even if you tell it to seamless tunnel (block the internet if you aren't going through the vpn) if it loses connection and fails to reconnect it silently fails and disables the vpn

which happened to me somewhat commonly with the last vpn service i used that limited the number of sessions at a time you are allowed and didn't properly terminate them sometimes when switching from cell to wifi or vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Hollow Talk posted:

Are you thinking of any more specific instances, or of leaked DNS? You can push DNS servers from the server to a client to solve that. That said, I haven't ever used it with Windows, only with Linux/MacOS/Android, so this might very well be an issue under some circumstances. There is apparently also a Windows-specific option --block-outside-dns regarding DNS leaks.

DNS and IPv6 are the areas I'm aware of. Some OpenVPN clients don't use the v6 stack which can lead to a bunch of direct connections.

Wheras (from what I understand) ipsec built-in clients generally don't have this issue.

• Locked thread