Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

After EMA Crypt is still $60, FOW $60, JTMS $60

These cards should be under 20 (or less) if WoTC would have done what's correct and totally flooded the market with inventory

Normal people are not paying these prices for cards and the point of these reprint sets are to make the cards accessible to everyone not only a select minority

$45 is still too much

All of those cards were around $100 before EMA released. They're high demand mythics from $10 packs, it's not reasonable to expect much lower than that.

Should they have instead made them rares in $4 EMA packs to get people playing Legacy? Of course they should have. But a small step is better than no step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The rumor is that the print run is supposed to be enormous.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

After EMA Crypt is still $60, FOW $60, JTMS $60

These cards should be under 20 (or less) if WoTC would have done what's correct and totally flooded the market with inventory

None of these cards should be above $10.00 when all is said and done if WoTC would handle this correctly

Sickening posted:

Nobody says this, shut up.

Right you are!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

These Miracles cards were kind of unneeded reprints. It's not like A) they are played in Modern or B) are all that expensive.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Shortest Path posted:

All of those cards were around $100 before EMA released. They're high demand mythics from $10 packs, it's not reasonable to expect much lower than that.

Should they have instead made them rares in $4 EMA packs to get people playing Legacy? Of course they should have. But a small step is better than no step.

Yes it is, there should be every expectation from the player base that these cards should have dropped more than maybe $40.00 give or take.

These prices still lock out 85% of the player base, hell probably more since the only people paying these prices are A. Pro's or B. People who will buy these cards at their insane price then go pay another $85 or whatever to play in an SCG or GP. These people are a mere fraction of the MTG community.

poo poo like this is why the chinese counterfeits are at an all time high.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Modern Masters (with a splash of legacy)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

These Miracles cards were kind of unneeded reprints. It's not like A) they are played in Modern or B) are all that expensive.

At least they might be fun in draft, with 20 less cards making them more likely to be on top(in theory).

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Star Man posted:

More importantly, where are the cats that were trying to get a huge stack of Bazaar Traders and Cosi's Tricksters in 2010?

Late, but I still have the huge stack of Cosi's Tricksters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wonder what 247 is... land in between Selesnya and Simic Gates.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
March 2017 Ban List Update:

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top has been banned.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yes it is, there should be every expectation from the player base that these cards should have dropped more than maybe $40.00 give or take.

These prices still lock out 85% of the player base, hell probably more since the only people paying these prices are A. Pro's or B. People who will buy these cards at their insane price then go pay another $85 or whatever to play in an SCG or GP. These people are a mere fraction of the MTG community.

poo poo like this is why the chinese counterfeits are at an all time high.

Oh okay so you're like the DaD posters who think that anything other than Full Communism Now is bad and that there isn't a middleground between how things are now and how things should be.

Perfection is the enemy of progress, etc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Or C) make draft even vaguely fun.

I'd just as soon they pretend Miracles isn't a real thing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Oh okay so you're like the DaD posters who think that anything other than Full Communism Now is bad and that there isn't a middleground between how things are now and how things should be.

Perfection is the enemy of progress, etc.

Not sure how you made this parallel

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I wonder what 247 is... land in between Selesnya and Simic Gates.

Shimmering Grotto is the only one that isn't part of a cycle which fits, sadly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shimmering Grotto is the only one that isn't part of a cycle which fits, sadly.

Jeez that was quick work by you.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not sure how you made this parallel

It's a very easy parallel to make. Your point can basically be summed up as "This thing that lowers prices is bad because it doesn't lower them enough" which totally ignores the fact that it's still an improvement over the present. This exact argument is made by certain dumb DaD posters regarding economic policies.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

March 2017 Ban List Update:

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top has been banned.

I'm waiting for it even though it's not even the right card to ban. WotC is really bad at making eternal formats. And standard formats for that matter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Jeez that was quick work by you.

You're gonna love Mythic Cavern of Souls.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InterrupterJones posted:

At least they might be fun in draft, with 20 less cards making them more likely to be on top(in theory).

This is incorrect, because miracles are never fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

You're gonna love Mythic Cavern of Souls.

That was a given.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

White doesn't have a whole lot of staples and most of the cards that see play are being reprinted except for RIP. I guess they could also reprint Lingering Souls but that card isn't even a dollar right now.

They fit pretty well into white and red in the rare slot and they do get played in other formats. I'm glad they're at least putting something in those slots that's worth something or played somewhere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

White doesn't have a whole lot of staples and most of the cards that see play are being reprinted except for RIP. I guess they could also reprint Lingering Souls but that card isn't even a dollar right now.

They fit pretty well into white and red in the rare slot and they do get played in other formats. I'm glad they're at least putting something in those slots that's worth something or played somewhere.

They should reprint Angels Grace and Phyrexian Unlife.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is incorrect, because miracles are never fun.

counterpoint:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Miracles are loving stupid and if you think they look fun you probably never played against one. Nothing like a mechanic that shouts, "HEY OPPONENT LOOK AT THIS AWESOME CARD I TOPDECKED JUST NOW AND GET TO CAST FOR SUPER CHEAP!" Designing cards to publicly reward you for topdecking them is just stupid game design. It's not so much that its a bad choice from a pure strategy perspective, but its a bad choice from the perspective of making the game fun for players. Your opponent topdecking stuff is already tilting; the game doesn't need to shout it from the rooftops that it happened.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

counterpoint:

Do you have a link to this video?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

It's a very easy parallel to make. Your point can basically be summed up as "This thing that lowers prices is bad because it doesn't lower them enough" which totally ignores the fact that it's still an improvement over the present. This exact argument is made by certain dumb DaD posters regarding economic policies.

Your trying to make parallels between an actual economic capitalist system and a card game.

That's kind of hilarious, I don't think anyone is arguing the merit of a card that was once $100 maybe now costing $80. Sure, we can all see that savings of $20.00 but your normal MTG player or 16-21 year old who'd love to break into Modern but can't afford (insert card) at $100 more than likely isn't going to buy the card now that it's $80.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Miracles, both the deck and mechanic, rule.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Phyrexian Unlife is a 2$ card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

counterpoint:

This is Hearthstone encapsulated

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Your trying to make parallels between an actual economic capitalist system and a card game.

That's kind of hilarious, I don't think anyone is arguing the merit of a card that was once $100 maybe now costing $80. Sure, we can all see that savings of $20.00 but your normal MTG player or 16-21 year old who'd love to break into Modern but can't afford (insert card) at $100 more than likely isn't going to buy the card now that it's $80.

The game stopped being targeted at 16-21 year olds like 15 years ago. Even the cheapest Tier 1 Modern deck is still $500.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The game stopped being targeted at 16-21 year olds like 15 years ago. Even the cheapest Tier 1 Modern deck is still $500.

Actually it didn't, there's a reason draft and standard are the big pushes

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Miracles players now splash green for Mirri's Guile

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

The game stopped being targeted at 16-21 year olds like 15 years ago.

Lol what?!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yep. I ran a kids summer program awhile back and everybody was into magic and spent a TON on it. Who do you thinks buys tons of boosters hoping to get that one card they want? I know I did that when I was 12.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but that's always been true. I mean more this type of product and formats like Modern in general. The idea of a competitive game with collectible game pieces that's somehow cheap doesn't make financial sense. I'm down with the idea that Abzan shouldn't be a $2,000 deck, but the idea its ever going to be attainable for people with little to no disposable income without the game itself cratering is somewhat ludicrous.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Wizards would love if modern and legacy died off so they could focus their efforts on solely Standard and sell $4.99 packs to kids hoping to rip a dope mythic while maybe putting out a commander set now and again

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Death is a preferrable alternative to Ad Nauseum, miracles is a close second.

Although I guess they can still also reprint Worship, not that I want more Eldrazi decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but that's always been true. I mean more this type of product and formats like Modern in general. The idea of a competitive game with collectible game pieces that's somehow cheap doesn't make financial sense. I'm down with the idea that Abzan shouldn't be a $2,000 deck, but the idea its ever going to be attainable for people with little to no disposable income without the game itself cratering is somewhat ludicrous.

Works out well enough for Hearthstone and that game is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Elyv posted:

counterpoint:

The what have I done look on forsythe's face is the best part of this gif.

• Locked thread