Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Works out well enough for Hearthstone and that game is awful

Hearthstone doesn't have trading or a secondary market. If it did, their business model wouldn't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Do you have a link to this video?

I do not, I just think the gif is funny. The game is from the world championships iirc

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hearthstone doesn't have trading or a secondary market. If it did, their business model wouldn't work at all.

Doesn't it have the ability to break cards down into dust to buy the cards you do want?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Wizards would love if modern and legacy died off so they could focus their efforts on solely Standard and sell $4.99 packs to kids hoping to rip a dope mythic while maybe putting out a commander set now and again

So we're back around to the Modern Killing Illuminati theory, I see.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Wizards would love if modern and legacy died off so they could focus their efforts on solely Standard and sell $4.99 packs to kids hoping to rip a dope mythic while maybe putting out a commander set now and again

Yes they would love that so much they're printing their third modern-only set, which they expect to be a huge financial failure

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Doesn't it have the ability to break cards down into dust to buy the cards you do want?

It does, but that means your collection doesn't maintain any kind of value relative to itself. If I have a 4k dust deck and want to switch to a different 4k dust deck, I can't just trade for it with another player who wants my deck, I have to spend a bunch of money on packs. Cards only dust for 1/4 value so you have to keep buying in which fuels their sales a lot.

With Magic, you can just trade or buy singles, and cards never go away, which means Wizards has to price their product accordingly since you can get the cards you want from someone else. The economies of the two games aren't really comparable, though I agree Wizards could afford to swing much closer in that direction and make more money off of more sales.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

So we're back around to the Modern Killing Illuminati theory, I see.

I mean that's a little far fetched to say obviously they can put out money grabbing supplemental sets they can make a killing off (this, commander, etc) of but let's not act like they're supporting the format on a grandiose level with endless sponsored events and Pro Tour support

22 Standard GP's vs. 8 Modern in 2017. We can obviously tell the direction they care about moving in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yep. I ran a kids summer program awhile back and everybody was into magic and spent a TON on it. Who do you thinks buys tons of boosters hoping to get that one card they want? I know I did that when I was 12.

You just reminded me that I've bought only two booster boxes in my life, one of which was an Eighth Edition box I spilt with a buddy when I was 14 (the other was original Conspiracy and I went in on it with my playgroup so)

People of all ages are bad with money.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Where are people tracking the setlist/possibilities? I'm curious about some speculation.

No one actually linked you to the live one, so this is the main public one I believe:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8U-FXfptKSAyUEpSkwHDD4epfphiidqluZ2kgeNezQ/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mehall posted:

No one actually linked you to the live one, so this is the main public one I believe:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8U-FXfptKSAyUEpSkwHDD4epfphiidqluZ2kgeNezQ/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

this is so aspergery it hurts

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I mean that's a little far fetched to say obviously they can put out money grabbing supplemental sets they can make a killing off (this, commander, etc) of but let's not act like they're supporting the format on a grandiose level with endless sponsored events and Pro Tour support

22 Standard GP's vs. 8 Modern in 2017. We can obviously tell the direction they care about moving in.

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/836993070151303168

This raises the question: What does Wizards think the purpose of the set is?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Why do they keep doing this? :allears::allears:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

2h
James Chillcott‏ @MTGCritic
@Grecco @bmkibler @MishrasFotoshop @HeleneBergeot You are underestimating the brand equity value of rising collection values

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

this is so aspergery it hurts

I'm happy to let other people work this out for me, in case something I kinda need for a deck gets confirmed as not in the set, because it might save me smoe money.
I don't contribute, I'm not spending that time and energy.

In other MM17 news, LGS confirmed they're doing it for £180, so me and the GF are halving in and we'll draft with friends and keep the cards.
So long as I get at least one fetch (ideally verdant catacombs but I can always trade) and a few other handy things, I'll be happy.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Chill la Chill posted:

2h
@Grecco @bmkibler @MishrasFotoshop @HeleneBergeot You are underestimating the brand equity value of rising collection values

This is literally the same thing as locking movies away in The Disney Vault (TM).

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hearthstone's business model appeals to people because if you spend 5 hours a day playing Hearthstone for 6 months you'll never have to spend any money on the game and so it's completely free to play.

Much like how I had someone argue with me for half an hour about why Path of Exile's business model (the only things you can buy are item stash space and cosmetic effects) is infinitely more unethical and pay to win than League of Legends (where you can eventually grind hard enough to get all the necessary runes and heroes for the single specific role that you play and never deviate from if you play 5 hours a day for 6 months).

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I really wish they were reprinting through the breach like that madman's spreadsheet claims

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Wurzag posted:

I really wish they were reprinting through the breach like that madman's spreadsheet claims

It doesn't claim it (unless it's been edited since you looked) if it's not in the 2nd column, it's speculation for what cards they might want to include in the set that fit.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Has there ever been a company as resistant to turning a profit or growing their market share as WOTC?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The what have I done look on forsythe's face is the best part of this gif.

A couple seconds after the gif ends BDM looks at Forsythe with this "well that was lovely" lip out nodding head expression and Forsythe looks even more like "drat it, we hosed up"

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Has there ever been a company as resistant to turning a profit or growing their market share as WOTC?

This is the same company holding fast to a lame promise made to a few hundred grognards over a decade ago about reserved cards

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

This is the same company holding fast to a lame promise made to a few hundred grognards over a decade ago about reserved cards

Decades. It's been long enough that we get to use the plural now.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

Decades. It's been long enough that we get to use the plural now.

I'm one of the guys who still thinks the 90's were 10 years ago

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Games Workshop?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

This is literally the same thing as locking movies away in The Disney Vault (TM).

Hahah the Disney Vault is beyond idiotic. I thought my sister was joking about it until I went in search of some Disney movies for my niece and nephew. It's a bad sign when my sister who would gladly pay full price for Blu Rays asks me to pirate a bunch of movies so her kids can watch Disney classics.

They're incredibly risk averse to their own detriment, especially the digital side of the game. These sets would sell more and cards would retain value if they pushed harder for more players because demand for cards is going to increase the more people are playing the game.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Chill la Chill posted:

2h

Wow, completely getting the cause and effect backwards. MTGs brand equity comes from poo poo like Black Lotus, which will likely continue to be worth thousands of dollars after the game dies. Everything else has value because people play the game. Try to tell someone who's never played MTG about why Liliana of the Veil is worth $100 and other planeswalkers or mythics are not.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

Games Workshop?

Before or after Kevin Rountree being in charge?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

For real, what does she mean?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Note to self: force WU fliers every draft.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I have no idea. How is it not a good idea to have a known, guaranteed purchase of a ton of boxes?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Wurzag posted:

That's the card I really need reprinted. I have a playset and I'm fully altering my Breach Titan deck, but I can't justify erasing and painting on a set of four cards worth $160. Bring it down to $20 each and I'd feel safer.

Also Magma Jet is the card that Pauper Burn needed. Now there's really no excuse to play loving Keldon Marauders or the other lovely creatures and turn the opponent's removal on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

I have no idea. How is it not a good idea to have a known, guaranteed purchase of a ton of boxes?

It was dumb to bring it up because she can't say "limited print run to keep secondary market values high" because of their issues with gambling laws.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

I guess they could also reprint Lingering Souls but that card isn't even a dollar right now.

Heh, typical goons in the MTG thread who can't predict poo poo :rolleyes:

I like this art more than the regular version, maybe I should swap mine out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

It was dumb to bring it up because she can't say "limited print run to keep secondary market values high" because of their issues with gambling laws.

How are you correlating the print run with gambling laws?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rinkles posted:

I don't know, and it makes doubly less sense for them to tow this line after they decided to do extra printing of EMA which was unprecedented for masters sets up to that point.

e:

C-Euro posted:

Heh, typical goons in the MTG thread who can't predict poo poo :rolleyes:

I like this art more than the regular version, maybe I should swap mine out.

I don't know, I kind of like the light beams in the old art and I know you're joking, but that was in reference to stuff that needed to reprinted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

They dont' talk about the secondary market for several reasons and it all has to do with gambling laws. They don't want packs lumped in with lotto tickets although in real $$ terms they can be very close to them. From tournaments to modo, everything is too close to the line and its not something they want to even flirt with. Its been that way since day one of the product.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

packs are randomized. The line of reasoning goes if WOTC acknowledges the value of cards on a secondary market, then a pack is X chance to get something worth $Y. If they refuse to acknowledge secondary markets, then they can say that packs are MSRP $4.19 or whatever and thus each card whether its a masterpiece Sol Ring or a Basic land is 1/15 or the price of the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling that sports card companies don't acknowledge the secondary market either, and that industry is way older than Wizards.

• Locked thread