Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Does that flyer seriously describe home made bombs as "Artisanal". I guess police should be looking for white supremacist hipsters or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Meet our demands or we will use our artisanal bombs on the marihuana smoking moslems

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Typical white conservatives getting angry about not wearing socks with sandals

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Dudes need to treat their hosed-up podophobia. "Artisanal" bombs need to be employed because they glanced some wet foot flesh near the cafateria is the most absurd and weird alt-right idiocy I've ever seen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't image that being a real thing because of the "artisanal" comment, but jfc anyway, that's literally a threat to commit terrorism.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Really though I hope two mutually exclusive things:

1) This is a racist hoax and they are caught and given counselling (expulsion would only radicalize them further)

2) If real, that the bombs hurt no one, they are caught, and given mandatory counselling in jail.

This is very stupid and upsetting and wow we really need to talk about racism in this country.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Funkdreamer posted:

I know you and Rime will kick and scream about this, but anti-immigration sentiment in Canada is primarily about culture/identity, it's not about economic pressures.

Also "immigrants" aren't a left-wing voting bloc.

As an example, Brampton is full of south east asians who are typically socially conservative, yet overwhelmingly elect left of centre politicians by margins of 10 points or more for the past 2 decades. It could be that the right of centre party is anti-immigration, but your point that they are primarily about culture/identity is false. I would use brampton as a measuring stick as to the recent canadian/immigration vote given the demographics.

Jordan7hm posted:

I would not have guessed jm20 and rime would agree on anything.

:suicide: Does this mean I need to have van by the river equity?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The nice thing about conservative terrorists is that they believe in pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, they don't need to hassle the RCMP to drive them around or pay for their artisan bomb supplies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress the CRTC and every single person on their board.

https://openmedia.org/en/disappointing-crtc-ruling-threatens-lock-canadians-future-high-wireless-prices

quote:

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has ruled that Rogers can block customers of Sugar Mobile, a subsidiary of Ice Wireless, from roaming on its network. The ruling effectively paralyzes the startup, prompting calls for the CRTC to conduct a full review of existing rules around smaller companies roaming on incumbents’ networks, and for Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains to step in to ensure potential new providers can enter the market and compete fairly with Bell, Rogers, and Telus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sugar-mobile-rogers-telus-bell-cellphone-crtc-1.4004569

CRTC shuts down Sugar Mobile in big victory for Rogers, Big 3

quote:

The CRTC has ordered Sugar Mobile, an upstart provider offering wireless plans for as little as $19 a month, to shut down within 50 days, in a big win for Rogers and the Big 3 telcos.

"The commission denies an application by Ice Wireless Inc. for relief against Rogers Communications Canada Inc. on a final basis. Ice Wireless has improperly allowed the end-users of its mobile virtual network operator Sugar Mobile Inc. to obtain permanent, rather than incidental, access to [Rogers'] cellular network," says the CRTC in its decision.

"Should Ice Wireless continue to allow Sugar Mobile end-users to make unauthorized use of [Rogers'] cellular network, [Rogers] may cease providing wholesale mobile wireless roaming service to Ice Wireless, as described in this decision."

"That's shocking," says Samer Bishay, president and CEO of Sugar Mobile.

"It's a big blow. Not just for our company, but for Canadians who we all know pay some of the highest wireless phone rates in the world."

Sugar Mobile, which now has about 5,500 customers,was launched in early 2016 by the small northern based telco Ice Wireless, using what appeared at the time to be a backdoor into the Canadian cellphone market, which has long been largely closed to new entrants who don't own their own networks.

Ice Wireless owns a mobile network in Canada's North.

As the owner of a mobile network, Ice Wireless has reciprocal roaming agreements with the big Canadian telcos, whose customers roam on the Ice Wireless network in cities like Whitehorse, Yellowknife and Inuvik.

So Ice Wireless, through the Sugar Mobile brand, is essentially selling the network access that it has through roaming agreements in the southern part of the country to retail customers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
White racist terrorists are at it again:-

https://twitter.com/themuslimguy/status/837007844767563777

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Classified documents reveal Canada's planned response to 9/11-style attack

Secret documents detailing Canada's plans for responding to a Sept. 11-style attack include a scenario in which military fighter jets are forced to shoot down a hijacked commercial airliner to protect Toronto's CN Tower.

The documents contain precise details about how the military, RCMP and government would determine when to shoot down a hijacked plane, including:

Who makes the decision and how much time that decision would take.
The number of Canadian and U.S. fighter jets on standby.
Where the Canadian jets are located and how long it takes to get them in the air.
When Canadian and U.S. jets are authorized to use force.
The documents were part of a briefing presented to the incoming chief of defence staff, Gen. Jonathan Vance, in 2015. They were obtained by CBC News through the Access to Information Act. The documents contain several sections and full pages that appear to have been marked for redaction, but the information in those sections is still clearly visible.

CBC has chosen not to disclose many of the details in the documents for national security reasons.

"In this case, it sounds to me like a mistake was made," said Vance in an interview with CBC News on Wednesday. "We'll follow up and try and make certain that this sort of thing doesn't happen again."

The release of the documents raises further questions about how the Department of National Defence handles classified information. The department has been under intense public scrutiny since Vice-Admiral Mark Norman was suspended from his position as vice chief of defence staff in early January and was accused of leaking classified data, possibly about shipbuilding.

The documents obtained by CBC News do not relate to the Norman case.

"There are times when material is leaked [by] sources or whatnot," Vance said. "We do not appreciate this at all. Sometimes it can affect how we operate.

"I do believe that it can be injurious to Canada if material is not handled correctly. So it's just part of doing our job well and being a professional organization that we safeguard the classified material that we're suppose to."

He added: "In this case, the correct effort was made to redact it, in as responsive a manner as we could, and I think you'd agree that we tried. You used a process, we used a process, something went wrong. We'll look at it. Fair ball."

Operation Noble Eagle

The briefing outlines Operation Noble Eagle, a North American Aerospace Defence Command (Norad) operation that was initially developed in after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in the United States to protect against similar attacks within North American airspace.

Four airliners were commandeered that day by terrorists and turned into passenger-laden missiles aimed at the Pentagon and two towers in New York's World Trade Center. A fourth airliner, thought to be headed for the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C., was brought down by a passenger revolt before crashing in Shanksville, Pa.

RCAF CF-18 Hornets are part of Norad's Operation Noble Eagle to protect North American airspace in the event of another Sept. 11-style attack. (Department of National Defence)

The Canadian document was intended to familiarize Vance with the protocol for dealing with an incident involving a civilian aircraft being used as a weapon in Canadian airspace and outlined what to expect if he were to become the "engagement authority" for the response.

'Weight of responsibility'

"We've got procedures that we practise over and over and over again, to make certain that we can think as clearly as we can in a crisis situation — that we are fully capable of drawing in all the information necessary to be able to make an informed decision — either to recommend an act or actually conduct an act," Vance said.

"There's not a day that I wake up that I don't feel the weight of responsibility, but we're trained to deal with it."

The documents were part of a briefing for chief of defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance in 2015. Vance said Wednesday the military followed the correct process in releasing the material under Access to Information, but "something went wrong." (Fred Chartrand/Canadian press)

There are two scenarios in the documents stemming from two orders-in-council. Those are orders given directly by cabinet and in this case were kept secret.

In the first scenario, the order refers to "a terrorist air attack with a clear intent to cause destruction/death aimed at a specific area or ground target in North America from a known terrorist group that we are in an armed conflict with."

That scenario includes consideration of how quickly a decision would have to be made to limit the potential debris field, the area surrounding a crash or explosion that sustains damages and contains pieces of wreckage, in a densely populated area.

The second case involves a scenario in which the military would assist law enforcement agencies such as the RCMP and would include "a more traditional hijacking scenario where a disgruntled individual may want to take out his aggressions on a company headquarters or specific person(s), or even the government."

The details included in the briefing also reveal how and when the United States would be involved if an attack occurred, including when the United States would be called and how they would be able to act in Canadian airspace.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/classified-military-operation-noble-eagle-1.4004551

:lol::lol:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
protect the cn tower at all costs u guys

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Odobenidae posted:

The nice thing about conservative terrorists is that they believe in pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, they don't need to hassle the RCMP to drive them around or pay for their artisan bomb supplies.

I'm not sure why you're jumping to this conclusion?

e: gently caress I'm an idiot :thejoke: nevermind

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was actually sitting in class at Concordia on 9/11 when the planes hit the towers. They were doing construction at the Loyala campus at the time, and one of the cranes dropped a skid of something that made a loud bang.

People jumped out of their chairs so fast and made for the door, I'm a little surprised no one poo poo their pants.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

protect the cn tower at all costs u guys

If the 9/11 hijackers had flown lower and aimed for the middle of the building instead of the top, they could have caused far more damage in Lower Manhattan. Considering that the CN Tower is (or was depending on how you want to word this) about 50 metres taller, it would be in our best interests to prevent it from being hit.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Think about it guys: if someone took down the CN tower, how could we watch Being Frank with Frank D'Angelo.

it would be in our best interests to prevent it from being hit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Washing your feet in a sink in the bathroom is gross from the perspective of anyone involved. Not artisanal bomb gross though. The University should have a multi faith room available with a place to wash feet though.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Stanley Pain posted:

Washing your feet in a sink in the bathroom is gross from the perspective of anyone involved. Not artisanal bomb gross though. The University should have a multi faith room available with a place to wash feet though.

Racists usually fabricate reasons to go after minorities, I'd be very surprised if feet were ever washed in a bathroom sink once. hth

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Separate but equal bathrooms for foot washers, I get ya. How cosmopolitan of you.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Racists usually fabricate reasons to go after minorities, I'd be very surprised if feet were ever washed in a bathroom sink once. hth

No, this is a thing, I've seen it a bunch of times.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

loving foreigners and their disgusting cultures eh?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No, this is a thing, I've seen it a bunch of times.

Where have you seen men washing their feet in public bathrooms. I went to Concordia for four years and never saw it once, and that place has a huge muslim population.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
At the college where I work, there is a foot washing station next to the sinks in some of the washrooms. There, problem solved. Islamophobes and germophobes don't have to wash their hands in the foot basin.

Edit: and people who want to wash their feet don't have to stretch their hamstrings so much and can be more comfortable physically on top of feeling accommodated and included.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 1, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Patrick Spens posted:

Interesting reflection from a black professor who moved from Halifax to Pennsylvania on the differences between Canadian and American racism.

http://puritan-magazine.com/invidious-comparisons-thoughts-home/

This was really good. Thanks for posting it.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I don't care if your name is Jesus of Nazareth, dont hoist your feet up into a public sink, that's gross.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's incredibly common, dude. This really isn't the issue you should be taking here, it's the fact that so many people are such giant babies that someone washing their foot in a sink makes them throw up in their mouth, ignoring the fact that there have definitely been people with literal poo poo on their hands washing it in that exact same sink.

Muslims wash their feet a lot, and they use sinks to do it when they don't have access to anything else. It's a weird dumb practice for their particular magic man in the sky who supposedly created the universe, but it's not exactly a big fuckin deal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People can wash their feet, I don't care. It's the people that don't wash their hands that are the problem.

Gotta love the Rinsers, too. "There, I splashed water on my hands. Are you happy now?"

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

It's incredibly common, dude. This really isn't the issue you should be taking here, it's the fact that so many people are such giant babies that someone washing their foot in a sink makes them throw up in their mouth, ignoring the fact that there have definitely been people with literal poo poo on their hands washing it in that exact same sink.

Muslims wash their feet a lot, and they use sinks to do it when they don't have access to anything else. It's a weird dumb practice for their particular magic man in the sky who supposedly created the universe, but it's not exactly a big fuckin deal.

Yeah honestly the "Trump is in power and we're not going to tolerate you anymore" is the important part of that letter. If it wasn't the feet they would justify it in some other idiotic and bigoted way.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Where have you seen men washing their feet in public bathrooms. I went to Concordia for four years and never saw it once, and that place has a huge muslim population.

Carleton, early 2000s. I don't remember it bothering anyone though, it wasn't uncommon.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but my hands dont typically touch the sink when I wash them. That a foot or a dog or an rear end may have touched the sink is of no importance to me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They would hit the finance towers you dolts no one cares about the cn tower

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Purity and cleanliness are big sticking points for bigots. They will sneer at a non-white person spitting into a garbage can, and then happily not wash their hands after using the bathroom.

So, I dunno, think of that when you start going "eeeeew gross"

(The hadith are full of rules about hygiene because that kind of thing is super important in close-knit desert communities)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

We had to post a corporate wide policy telling people NOT to wash their feet in the sinks. Something something health policy something something. However, we did also build places for people to be able to wash their feet. I can't imagine washing your feet in the sink is comfortable.

Skippy Granola posted:

Separate but equal bathrooms for foot washers, I get ya. How cosmopolitan of you.

There should be "foot stalls" available for people to wash their feet. The location doesn't actually mater.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Manitoba has a huge surplus of power and Ontarians pay out the rear end for it, why have our provinces not worked something out?

Aside from the huge amount of power loss over lines that long, anyway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe if people washed their feet more they wouldn't be so grossed out by the thought of a foot touching a loving sink.

The hell is wrong with people, that "a foot touched a sink in the bathroom" rates as anything near an actual concern?

(Answer to rhetorical question: because it's not about the foot, it's about racism)

EDIT: I mean, people literally wash their hands, that have just touched their poo poo-covered anus with no protection but a piece of toilet paper, in the sink. I don't think washing your foot in the sink really rates as a hygiene concern next to that. That being said, there should probably be separate foot-washing basins or whatever, because it would be more convenient and probably less messy than I imagine washing your feet in a sink would be.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Look pal I appreciate the attempt. I also appreciate the liability issue if someone slips trying to lift their leg into a sink.

However, this isn't a matter of compromise. This is folks immediately reacting with disgust to a different cultural practise.

That mindset is hosed up and tragically common in "multicultural" canada.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Skippy Granola posted:

Look pal I appreciate the attempt. I also appreciate the liability issue if someone slips trying to lift their leg into a sink.

However, this isn't a matter of compromise. This is folks immediately reacting with disgust to a different cultural practise.

That mindset is hosed up and tragically common in "multicultural" canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think it might say something about this thread that our collective response to a story about domestic terrorism was to have a long debate about how appropriate washing your feet in the sink is.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No, sorry, in the west public sinks are for washing hands.

Washing your feet in the sink is gross. It means you have to hike your leg up and rest it on the rim of the bowl and get all sorts of crud from the cuff of your leg all over the counter top. It's something that's just not done here. In Japan you shower before you bathe, in India and most of Africa and the Middle East you only eat with your right hand and in western countries you keep your loving feet out of god damned sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Minge Binge posted:

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but it's starting to become bizarre for me. I'm having an impossible time finding DFO (or any other department) spending predating 1996. This link is the best I can do: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/planned-government-spending/reports-plans-priorities.html
And it just go backs to 1996. that's it. and most of the links don't even work ffs. Is it seriously this hard to find something as simple departmental spending by year.

There's got to be a government geek here that can help me. pretty please.

lol at attempting to get information from GoC websites. You're probably going to have to ask them directly