Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Wired review, it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

lol

I said it before I'll say it again, this is Nintendo's last console

Hello Super Mario PS5

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Hustlin Floh posted:

My favorite part of looking in the Games thread is when people talk about how they're going to buy some lovely indie game for the third time because now they can play it on some new piece of trash

Lol same but with even more contempt

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

it has the same battery life as the 3ds hth

Yup, it's not like the 3DS battery life is good. Handheld battery life has been lackluster since the DS Lite/PSP days and has only gone downhill with the 3DS. The Switch has a pretty huge battery so it's not bad in comparison.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nothing will beat the vitas standby time of months. Vita meant life.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The Vita is a cool console that has 2 major design flaws that ruin the whole thing.

Proprietary, way too pricey storage, and not having the exact same controls as a PS3/Ps4, making Remote Play sketchy at best.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
But the Nintendo Switch has several major design flaws so that means it'll do awesome

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

The Vita is a cool console that has 2 major design flaws that ruin the whole thing.

Proprietary, way too pricey storage, and not having the exact same controls as a PS3/Ps4, making Remote Play sketchy at best.

Also: back touch pad lmao

good thing barely anything uses it / requires it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Code Jockey posted:

Also: back touch pad lmao

good thing barely anything uses it / requires it

Meh, it's not really a flaw. It doesn't affect anything

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

it has the same battery life as the 3ds hth
A quick google suggests that you get ~3 hours out of the battery playing games meant for it, the 3ds gets like double that.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I hated it. It was slippery. Also, one account per device, making the region freeness tedious

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Meh, it's not really a flaw. It doesn't affect anything

Well, true. I guess it's just a funny design thing.

Here's a nice flaw in the Vita TV: blacklisting of Vita titles which work totally fine on it when said blacklist is removed.

Some of them are due to hardware differences, like Touch My Katamari is blocked, but if I recall it played perfectly fine when I tried it, you just couldn't do the touch stuff as easily [touch can be emulated using the DS3 or via the DS4 touch pad].

Lumines though? Why block that? Eat dongs, Sony. t:mad:

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Code Jockey posted:

Well, true. I guess it's just a funny design thing.

Here's a nice flaw in the Vita TV: blacklisting of Vita titles which work totally fine on it when said blacklist is removed.

Some of them are due to hardware differences, like Touch My Katamari is blocked, but if I recall it played perfectly fine when I tried it, you just couldn't do the touch stuff as easily [touch can be emulated using the DS3 or via the DS4 touch pad].

Lumines though? Why block that? Eat dongs, Sony. t:mad:

Vita TV is garbage.

I actually remote play on my Vita from my PS4 on the occasion I don't need triggers or analog stick presses and it's a fantastic feature. It just doesn't work on a ton of games due to missing controls

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vita TV is garbage.

I actually remote play on my Vita from my PS4 on the occasion I don't need triggers or analog stick presses and it's a fantastic feature. It just doesn't work on a ton of games due to missing controls

I like the Vita TV now that it's been hacked, it's a tiny little device that can run PS1, Vita, and emulate everything up to PS1. Of course the raspberry pi can do all of that except play Vita titles and it doesn't require atrociously expensive memory cards, too bad I didn't realize this until recently

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
switch thread has been going ape poo poo for 5 time also ran poo poo-indie(shitdie) titles and 30 year old neo geo games for 500 pages now since... get this... a nintendo console has NO GAMES :grin:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Breath of the wild is going to be the greatest game of all time.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Carmant posted:

Breath of the wild is going to be the greatest game of all time.

for me to poop on :smug:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
From Eurogamer. Obstructed means not directly pointed at the dock.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-switch-joy-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

Nintendo does what all the other consoles don't

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup, it's not like the 3DS battery life is good. Handheld battery life has been lackluster since the DS Lite/PSP days and has only gone downhill with the 3DS. The Switch has a pretty huge battery so it's not bad in comparison.

yet my samsung tablet lasts all day on one change. its almost like nintendo sucks at designing hardware

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yup, it's not like the 3DS battery life is good. Handheld battery life has been lackluster since the DS Lite/PSP Lynx/Game Gear days and has only gone downhill with the 3DS. The Switch has a pretty huge battery so it's not bad in comparison.

FTFY, hth.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

a bone to pick posted:

omg its a loving piece of poo poo lmfao, their brand new game barely hits 30fps and the desync issue is even worse than previously thought.

TYOOL 2017 their showcase game runs at 900p max lmao

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

lol that actually sounds pretty loving bad

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you might say ive switched positions on this

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The left half of the Joy-Con controller simply wont stay synced to the console. Either its connected but severely laggy, so button presses either register late or not at all, or it simply drops the connection. Its a total showstopper.

I don't understand how this poo poo happens. This isn't a minor glitch or error, this is "the product is literally unusable for one of its major purposes."

I'm sure it's a software issue that will get patched out (probably?) but jesus man did you guys not just have anyone sit down and play the thing for a couple days before you sent it out for reviews? How did QC drop the ball so hard?

e: Also it sounds like I need to buy all kinds of overpriced accessories just to make it do what it should be doing in the first place - being unable to charge the controller while the Switch is in TV mode without a $30 accessory??? get hosed.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

yet my samsung tablet lasts all day on one change. its almost like nintendo sucks at designing hardware

are you playing 3-d intensive games on it all day or browsing forums

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I hadn't thought about the requirement of buying a second a/c adapter. Get bent Nintendo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nuts and Gum posted:

its the xbox one of nintendo consoles, even down to the 32 _bytes of wrong memory

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this device seems like a real piece of poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

are you playing 3-d intensive games on it all day or browsing forums

i watch videos of people playing 3-d intensive games

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rutibex posted:

i watch videos of people playing 3-d intensive games
Watching videos takes way less power than rendering 3d poo poo.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Moridin920 posted:

I don't understand how this poo poo happens. This isn't a minor glitch or error, this is "the product is literally unusable for one of its major purposes."

I'm sure it's a software issue that will get patched out (probably?) but jesus man did you guys not just have anyone sit down and play the thing for a couple days before you sent it out for reviews? How did QC drop the ball so hard?

e: Also it sounds like I need to buy all kinds of overpriced accessories just to make it do what it should be doing in the first place - being unable to charge the controller while the Switch is in TV mode without a $30 accessory??? get hosed.

It's probably hardware issue but read the article. It only happens in a small room and only when it's obstructed. It doesn't happen in larger rooms at all.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How are they so bad at this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dubplate Fire posted:

It only happens in a small room and only when it's obstructed. It doesn't happen in larger rooms at all.

Isn't this a Japanese company though lol?

A country where the average apartment size is <200 square feet?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
"Don't lose money on hardware. But also try to keep price around the same as the competition."

Nintendo's sound business strategy. This is single-handedly loving over the future of their company.

This is why their consoles have the processing power of a phone. This is why they have to rely on lovely gimmicks. This is why their third party is dead. This is why their consoles have no games. This is why they don't sell.

Round and round it goes uggghhhh

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hmmm maybe designing a system that makes sense in a Japanese sized home where the walls are never more than 3 meters from each other and creating a bunch of Japanese aimed games and Japanese style peripherals wasn't such a great a great idea

I mean to put it in perpsepctive, most of the people I know here in Tokyo still use a MP3 players and CDs in addition to their smartphones for the reason that it already exists, these are the type of people who are creating this system

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Teikanmi posted:

Hmmm maybe designing a system that makes sense in a Japanese sized home where the walls are never more than 3 meters from each other and creating a bunch of Japanese aimed games and Japanese style peripherals wasn't such a great a great idea

I mean to put it in perpsepctive, most of the people I know here in Tokyo still use a MP3 players and CDs in addition to their smartphones for the reason that it already exists, these are the type of people who are creating this system

Dubplate Fire posted:

It only happens in a small room and only when it's obstructed. It doesn't happen in larger rooms at all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nuts and Gum posted:

And the framerate is so bad that it will pause for over a second whenever there's a big explosion etc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

so..I should just buy a 3ds?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

And the framerate is so bad that it will pause for over a second whenever there's a big explosion etc

lmao the switch is my computer from 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dubplate Fire posted:

It's probably hardware issue but read the article. It only happens in a small room and only when it's obstructed. It doesn't happen in larger rooms at all.

"Being held in small, enclosed spaces, or pressed against something obstructing its path does it no favours.". I'm pretty sure it's talking about hands, I can't imagine what the actual size of the room would have to do with anything, and the chart shows it getting much worse with any distance so

• Locked thread