Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

Lance LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
To give a glimpse of what we have to look forward to, at least for a few races until he is banned and his licence rescinded -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtyY50gMEts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5TlmKafMM

Maldonado is an amateur compared to Stroll. Stroll was banned in 2015 he was that crash prone.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://hasstrollcrashedyet.com

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Pants Stroll.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bookmarked.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Mclaren makes supercar engines, honda makes lawnmowers. why even involve honda.

McLaren's engine is a worked over prototype Nissan Indycar engine from 1997.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Fuel saving has been a non-issue since the second season of the V6 formula, have they tweaked fuel flow and consumption regs this year to bring it back into play?

I dunno, has it? If that isn't the reason, the cars still aren't running flat out most (all?) of the time. I thought they were still trying to get by using less fuel thanks to some "optimal calculations" or some bullshit that means they don't just go out and drive fast anymore.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I don't buy it. Also the article seems to be Implying this will happen during the season. LMAO.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ukle posted:

The McLaren could be a very good car as it does look clean but not simple and its definitely hiding some dodgy things. Its the same as last season, they may have had the best car on the track its just it was attached to a really poo poo engine.

The problem is they have a engine manufacturer who doesn't seem to know how to build engines, so they are hosed - unless Honda mysteriously turn this around in a few weeks.

McLaren is a lovely dying team. With a Mercedes-Benz, they may be 5th in the WCC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

McLaren is a lovely dying team.

This but with Ron and the flag is grey red and black.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Lance Strolling back to the pitlane.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

track day bro! posted:

So he's going to win a race?

He's going to win two races.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

This but with Ron and the flag is grey red and black.
You mean mspaint black/gray gradient

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't buy it. Also the article seems to be Implying this will happen during the season. LMAO.

It's based on a story in a Spanish tabloid, which are somehow less reliable than British tabloids

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

McLaren is not dropping Honda, they fund half the loving team and McLaren would literally be sub-Williams without them. Also, McLaren does not make McLaren engines, Ricardo does.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

It's based on a story in a Spanish tabloid, which are somehow less reliable than British tabloids

Realtalk. Is it even possible, from a technical/design standpoint, to switch engine manufacturers midseason now? I can't recall any recent examples of it happening.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Realtalk. Is it even possible, from a technical/design standpoint, to switch engine manufacturers midseason now? I can't recall any recent examples of it happening.

The motor mounting points are fixed now and with the ECU standardized it's probably more feasible than it was in the past. I doubt it's a bolt up job though.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

The motor mounting points are fixed now and with the ECU standardized it's probably more feasible than it was in the past. I doubt it's a bolt up job though.

Honda cant even swap in a honda with 2 years notice and get it to run right. No way, no how.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is p much my understanding. A lot easier than it used to be, still not easy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

wicka posted:

McLaren is not dropping Honda, they fund half the loving team and McLaren would literally be sub-Williams without them. Also, McLaren does not make McLaren engines, Ricardo does.

How does he find time to race and make engines at the same time?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

Indeed, there was talk Sauber might actually be able to upgrade to the 2017 unit.

Presumably if they can find some change down the back of a sofa to pay for it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I can't wait to read that while sipping a delicious Monster Energy beverage

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wild theory. Stroll was planted by Wolff in order to royally piss off Paddy Lowe. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-uncertain-of-running-on-thursday-after-stroll-crash-878783/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know Hamilton is good for the sport but I can't think of a more pretentious driver that flipflops between moody tantrums and 'we lose as a team!'.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

VelociBacon posted:

I know Hamilton is good for the sport but I can't think of a more pretentious driver that flipflops between moody tantrums and 'we lose as a team!'.

Drivers in grand pricks history that have won races in every year they raced in:

• Lewis Hamilton

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Drivers in grand pricks history that have won races in every year they raced in:

• Lewis Hamilton

Max won a race last year in his first season tho. Or are you saying only real pricks on the list

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VelociBacon posted:

Max won a race last year in his first season tho. Or are you saying only real pricks on the list

Max won a race in his second year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hamilton is a great driver, FYI.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

VelociBacon posted:

:trumppop: wrong!

(There is no list, only greatest driver, holder of record neither schumi or fangio has Lewis "Jesus" Hamilton.)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hamilton is a great driver, FYI.

Mods?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Hey lets check out some other cool stats while we wait patiently for the next fun season of formula one™:

quote:

Most career points 2,247
Most consecutive podium finishes from debut 9 podium finishes
Youngest driver to lead the World Championship
Most wins in a debut season 4 wins
Most pole positions in a debut season 6 pole positions
Most points in a debut season 109
Pole positions at most different Grands Prix 22 Grands Prix
Most podium finishes in a season 17
Most consecutive seasons with a win from debut season 10 seasons 2007–2016
Most consecutive seasons with a pole from debut season 10 seasons 2007–2016
Most consecutive races with at least one lap in the lead 18 races
Most wins in one calendar month 4 wins (July 2016)
Wins at most different circuits 24

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress Lewis Hamilton.

If you know what I mean fellas.

No seriously gently caress Lewis Hamilton

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hamilton is an insanely good driver, one of the best of all time, and he is also a real piece of poo poo that I wish would never speak again.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

CratSock posted:

I dunno, has it? If that isn't the reason, the cars still aren't running flat out most (all?) of the time. I thought they were still trying to get by using less fuel thanks to some "optimal calculations" or some bullshit that means they don't just go out and drive fast anymore.

Ban computers (and nerds!!!) from F1 teams, in my humble opinion

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

wicka posted:

It sounds unlikely, but under the incompetent new leadership that picked this livery, who knows?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Put Jenson in Lewis' car and he beats him each time I bet.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

gret posted:

I can't wait to read that while sipping a delicious Monster Energy beverage

Where can I buy this in bulk

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

Hamilton is an insanely good driver, one of the best of all time, and he is also a real piece of poo poo that I wish would never speak again.

Dude needs to channel his inner Stig. Turn up, go fast, get out and get back in the trunk of the Merc team bus and go into standby mode until the next race. Never take the helmet off and just skip the media poo poo, and even the podium presentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

quote:

When Lewis Hamilton exploded onto the F1 scene in 2007, he was a clear game changer. It wasn’t just his raw natural pace, or never-say-die driving style that rattled the cages of the more established drivers in the paddock, but also his ability to soak up massive pressure while still delivering super-consistent results. Flash-forward eight years, and Lewis has carved his name indelibly into the Formula One record books. After a successful six-year rookie tenure at the legendary McLaren Mercedes outfit, Lewis switched to the factory-backed Mercedes AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team. Now aged 30,

MODS!

Dubs fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread