Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Mr. Unlucky posted:

he should just make another few ghosts albums every time he opens his mouth its just embarrassing now

Were you alive in the 1990s? Younger Trent talked poo poo about pop music and crappy mainstream acts all the time. It has nothing to do with him getting old and everything to do with pop music descending into a period of extreme shittiness again. The last time it was this awful, he made the Starfuckers, Inc. video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Year Zero is sure speaking to me this evening!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Pop music always has and always will suck. Just because there's good pop music every now and then doesn't hide the poo poo stuff.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

robot roll call posted:

Year Zero is sure speaking to me this evening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyCFi7lbw50

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uek9vCFfNB0

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Seriously, Survivalism in particular seems meant for this day, not 2007.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

Spotify recently pointed me in the direction of 'The Black Queen' which is some dudes from current-ish NIN, Telefon Tel Aviv and DEP.

It's synth poppy and very early NIN/Depeche Mode so of course you will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8t_9SxvSV8

Bringing this back up, as this album was very, very good. I ended up giving the guys $5 at BandCamp because I liked this album (and they were only asking $3.69 for it). If anyone passed on this, give it a try.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Sounds more like Depeche Mode than anything else. That's not an insult though.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I put Year Zero in my car's CD player on the way back from New Year's and it's been in constant rotation ever since. There's going to be a lot of anti-Trump music coming out but it's kind of amazing how on-the-nose Year Zero is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Maybe we'll get lucky and get YZ2 but I kinda doubt it because Trent has probably lost interest.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and get YZ2 but I kinda doubt it because Trent has probably lost interest.

2016 was Year Zero 2, we just didn't realize it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Minidust posted:

• The sample rate of the "Hi Res Digital" files is actually too high to be played on an iPhone. You'll need to downsample them to 44.1 kHz /16-bit with an external program (I use dbPoweramp's file converter) before attempting to sync. I ended up converting from WAV to ALAC and including a downsampling step in the conversion process - the resulting files are "only" lossless CD quality. btw I'm assuming you can ignore all this if your iTunes was already converting your synced music to lossy (AAC) format

I had a FEELING those files were too big.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Was it your purest feeling?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Up Above it (the maximum file size) now i'm down in it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"I was on the Muppets..."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So is that cryptic physical object for NtAE shipping yet or what :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minidust posted:

So is that cryptic physical object for NtAE shipping yet or what :ohdear:
I have no idea but I got my Suddenly Very Appropriate shirt and it owns

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I watched OJ: Made in America over the past couple of days (highly, highly recommended, it's amazing) but I was pretty happy with myself for picking out 28 Ghosts IV at one point.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector_666 posted:

I watched OJ: Made in America over the past couple of days (highly, highly recommended, it's amazing) but I was pretty happy with myself for picking out 28 Ghosts IV at one point.
:aaa:

I lost my mind when I heard 13 Ghosts II at the end of The Raid 2. I had no idea it was coming and it made me so happy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ghosts was all over NPR when it was released as background music, segues, etc. This American Life in particular really seemed to use it heavily.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So, people are starting to get their NTAE "physical components". Here are a few photo albums I've found via NIN Hotline / Echoing The Sound:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...GJ2QzlzZ3dqYXhR
https://imgur.com/a/XAbNB

Basically looks like an envelope with postcards, and a lot of black dust. Though I'm hearing there are variations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok yeah I just opened mine and thought it was a gently caress-up because the envelope both inside and out is covered in black dust. From the way it smears and got over loving EVERYTHING ON MY DESK I'm guessing it's printer toner or something like that. The warning label on the envelope really made it seem like a "this music will cause you to think rebellious thoughts, user beware!!!!" type of thing, didn't think it was an actual disclaimer that "ok when you open this black dust is going to explode over everything in a 12" radius."

It's kind of retarded, IMO. The cards are pretty cool, but I hope they're waterproof because otherwise the whole thing is going in the trash.

e: loving lol Trent just trolled the poo poo out of me and everyone who's been trained to gloss over Terms & Conditions because it totally says "AND THIS IS IMPORTANT... This will make a mess." on the sticker

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Ok yeah I just opened mine and thought it was a gently caress-up because the envelope both inside and out is covered in black dust. From the way it smears and got over loving EVERYTHING ON MY DESK I'm guessing it's printer toner or something like that. The warning label on the envelope really made it seem like a "this music will cause you to think rebellious thoughts, user beware!!!!" type of thing, didn't think it was an actual disclaimer that "ok when you open this black dust is going to explode over everything in a 12" radius."

It's kind of retarded, IMO. The cards are pretty cool, but I hope they're waterproof because otherwise the whole thing is going in the trash.

e: loving lol Trent just trolled the poo poo out of me and everyone who's been trained to gloss over Terms & Conditions because it totally says "AND THIS IS IMPORTANT... This will make a mess." on the sticker

I'll buy yours off you for $25 shipped.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
An unboxing of the physical component: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRG1kcThMfy/?taken-by=jmetalblast

Apparently there are some variations. I've seen some photos of colored lyric sheets, while others (like the video here) are just white.

Still, kinda fun. You knew you were getting artsy crap anyway

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obeyasia posted:

I'll buy yours off you for $25 shipped.

Haha I checked on eBay and people are actually paying $60+ for these unopened. Not saying your offer is too low, just couldn't believe there's already such demand for them.

Once I get them home and clean them off a bit, I'll see if I want to frame them or do something equally artsy, otherwise they're yours if you actually want them.

Mind if I ask why you want them? Just a big collector of NIN stuff?

Non Serviam posted:

An unboxing of the physical component: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRG1kcThMfy/?taken-by=jmetalblast

Apparently there are some variations. I've seen some photos of colored lyric sheets, while others (like the video here) are just white.

Still, kinda fun. You knew you were getting artsy crap anyway

Yeah once the realization that the toner dump was an intentional artsy thing and not a printer error set in I actually started to look at them and they're kinda cool. Will post pics later.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Haha I checked on eBay and people are actually paying $60+ for these unopened. Not saying your offer is too low, just couldn't believe there's already such demand for them.

I don't know if there's actual "demand." Since NIN often release things in short supply, it was obvious some people would just order them to resell them. Some idiot is listing his at USD 180 (he listed his preorder).

I'm OK with mine; I mean, it's a set of prints for 12 bucks. It's not a terrible amount for something from a band I love, as useless and pointless as it is.

How did you miss that the thing was going to be dusty though? My fingers got black just by touching the envelope, before I even opened it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

I don't know if there's actual "demand." Since NIN often release things in short supply, it was obvious some people would just order them to resell them. Some idiot is listing his at USD 180 (he listed his preorder).

I'm OK with mine; I mean, it's a set of prints for 12 bucks. It's not a terrible amount for something from a band I love, as useless and pointless as it is.

How did you miss that the thing was going to be dusty though? My fingers got black just by touching the envelope, before I even opened it.

Honestly? Since the envelope is all-black I figured it was just a poor print job on the envelope itself, I didn't expect the inside of the envelope to be full of it as well.

e: I really did think the warning on the envelope was some sort of Year Zero "MUSIC IS SUBVERSION" deal, so the real answer is I'm a dummy who didn't read the warning all the way through

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It better not be toner powder, that stuff may not be good for you.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
it's probably just charcoal, why on god's green earth would they use toner?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is it just black dust and cards or is there a CD inside? Not gonna open mine

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

it's probably just charcoal, why on god's green earth would they use toner?

Whatever it is, it was hard as hell to clean off. Having experienced a black toner cartridge break and having used charcoal pencils in the past, it smears and sticks more like toner. I'm sure eventually someone will have a major freakout about it and Trent will issue an explanation somewhere.

Dr Tran posted:

No CD, just the cards. One of the ones I got looks like a blown-up negative photograph and it's on clear plastic, but the rest are cardboard.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Once I get them home and clean them off a bit, I'll see if I want to frame them or do something equally artsy, otherwise they're yours if you actually want them.

Mind if I ask why you want them? Just a big collector of NIN stuff?

I'm not a mega collector, but I need cool stuff to put on my walls.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's good that you're not a collector -- because things, well, things...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dang, they're 6x9" instead of 5x7 or 4x6. Finding a frame that'll hold all 7 of them is going to be a pain.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wait, so there's no CD for NtAE?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Doesn't appear so, digital or vinyl only.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

This was the "physical companion" to the Digital EP. I ordered the vinyl too, but it's going to be released in spring... for some reason.

I'm in Europe, and I really think it's cool that people received their poo poo around the same day both here and in the US.

Dr Tran posted:

So you're going to keep it closed.. like those kids who keep their toys inside the box so they don't hurt the resale value?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
LOL that Trent basically sold a hassle to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
This is the equivalent of selling people greeting cards stuffed with confetti.