Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hughlander posted:

That was something in my mind when reading the books. Imagine a side reality where Holden didn't interfere. The war kicks off the unknown protomocule is allowed to do its thing on Eros. It launches to earth. Lands there and... Out pops a billboard, "Interstellar travel getting you down? Eat at Xovos! Home of our galaxy famous Qicdiz!" As Protogen realizes they destroyed any hope of the future for an interstellar ad.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v436/n7054/full/4361206a.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

counterfeitsaint posted:

Cause the OP said so. Did he abuse his position of trust? Are these claims of a new episode tomorrow just alternative facts?

Weird, some source I originally found said that there was a split and tonight would be no new ep. Apparently that's wrong. Yay?

edit: OP added to reflect new dates and revealed titles. Somnambulist means sleepwalker, I think, btw. It also looks like MAYBE there's a week gap now before episode 10 and the final 3 hours? Dunno for sure.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody know what rpg they actually played

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Phi230 posted:

I'd guess Traveller or d20 modern. Maybe a no-magic Shadowrun?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Phi230 posted:

I heard it was a forum based game, so it may well not have had a system at all. I'm also going to suspect that it's a lot more "loosely" based on an RPG that we'd like to suspect. Not that it wouldn't be cool to see the rpg notes just the same.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OB_Juan posted:

I'd guess Traveller or d20 modern. Maybe a no-magic Shadowrun?

I'd guess Eclipse Phase. Lends itself really easily to the subject matter and it's even the right timeframe.

quote:

Earth is subsequently abandoned, and existing colonies throughout the Solar System are expanded to accommodate the refugees. The setting explores a spectrum of socioeconomic systems in each of these colonies:

A capitalist/republican system continues in the Inner System (Mars, the Moon, and Mercury), under the Planetary Consortium, a corporate body which allows the election of representatives but whose shareholders are nominally most powerful.
An Extropian/Propertarian system is established in the Asteroid Belt. The Extropians are split into two subfactions, an anarcho-capitalist group, more closely related to the Hypercapitalists and a mutualist group, related closely to the Anarchists.
A military oligarchy rules the moons around Jupiter.
An alliance of Scandinavia-style social democracy and Collectivist anarchism are dominant in the Outer System.

From there, the setting explores various scientific advances, extrapolated far into the future. Nanotechnology, terraforming, Zero-G living, upgrading animal sapience, and reputation systems are all used as plot points and background.

With all of this, the game encourages players to confront existential threats like aliens, weapons of mass destruction, Exsurgent Virus outbreaks, and political unrest.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oh, so they actually played one.

Everything I read said they were trying to pitch an MMO, but got no takers.

Id love to see the ruleset they used to play.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

flosofl posted:

Oh, so they actually played one.

Everything I read said they were trying to pitch an MMO, but got no takers.

Id love to see the ruleset they used to play.

If I recall, it went MMO Pitch > MMO Rejected > "Hey I still have this huge elaborate setting I crafted!" > Forum RPG > "That was neat, you should write a book" > Book

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ty said it was d20 modern with a bunch of house rules.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

for a second i thought that was will wheaton

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Orange Red Bull posted:

Same. I kept thinking, "wow his voice got different" until I got a good look at his face.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The gently caress do you mean 137 years ago

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahaha, that's awesome. Low tech FTW to block the signal.

EDIT: Aww... I was hoping it was giant wire mesh to block the signal to what missiles they could intercept. Fred Johnson as Bond villain.

Spoilered, because I'm not sure what schedules are like.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 2, 2017

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Haha when the girl goes over to Amos, Amos is totally into it for a moment before he realizes he'd be cock blocking Alex.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
That ending... :wtc:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

im guessing the molecule finds a new host

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

insider posted:

That ending... :wtc:

I noticed during the show as the UN Marines were coming toward MRC Marines, it *really* looked like they were firing in the direction they came from.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I can't help but suspect we've reached the raw deal that hits Bobbi and makes her awesome

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

flosofl posted:

I noticed during the show as the UN Marines were coming toward them, it *really* looked like the were firing in the direction they came from.

yeah they were being chased by something

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

I noticed during the show as the UN Marines were coming toward MRC Marines, it *really* looked like they were firing in the direction they came from.

One of these Marines is not like the others.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Reminds me of an old front page article.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/science-fiction-summary/

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Orange Red Bull posted:

That was my first thought too. I definitely recognized him, and it was difficult to figure out because he went uncredited in the episode. He is actor Sam Huntington. Sam Huntington of Tim Allen's Jungle 2 Jungle fame.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 2, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

For a show that prides its scientific accuracy, I found the proximity and size of the other Galilean moons in the sky over Ganymede triggering.

unless I'm wrong, but they appeared way too big to my eyes. :ohdear:

EDIT: The wikipedia article on extraterrestrial skies (a cool article in itself) seems to imply that'd be wrong. If you were "standing" on Jupiter (or in the upper atmosphere), Io appears the same size as the moon and the rest of the Gallilean moons get smaller from there.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 2, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Amos always brings us the very best violence.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What was Amos doing to the Mards flag that pissed the guy off so much?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What was Amos doing to the Mards flag that pissed the guy off so much?

Instead of two moons he was putting the debris field from the destroyed one in the orbit.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Party Plane Jones posted:

Instead of two moons he was putting the debris field from the destroyed one in the orbit.

That's cold, and funny.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't get the "Is this your way of apologizing?" comment.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't get the "Is this your way of apologizing?" comment.

Amos was giving Alex an excuse to hit him for emasculating Alex at the bar.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ohh, that makes sense, in a very Amos sort of way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poor alex has some serious confidence and self worth issues after washing out of the mars military or what ever, or not being good enough to fly the fancy ships.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Poor alex has some serious confidence and self worth issues after washing out of the mars military or what ever, or not being good enough to fly the fancy ships.

That, and there’s also his marriage.

I don’t remember if season one went into that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Baronjutter posted:

Alex is probably the most normal crew member since he's not really a fuckup or anything, he just feels like one because he didn't make the cut for the exciting piloting jobs and has some disappointing but totally mundane issues with his personal life. The characters in the books in general are older and less dashing, but we were never gonna get a bunch of paunchy middle aged heroes on-screen, and that's ok.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get what happened to Epstein, if he died and his ship eventually went ballistic. Maybe i zoned out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

His ship maintained a constant acceleration over 4g's for several weeks. 4g's means he weighs 4 times what he does on Earth and since he was Martian born he was already used to a lower gravity so he wasn't able to move. This was a first because the Epstein drive was able to maintain acceleration for weeks or even months at a time when humans were still using chemical drives to do short burns in order to transit between worlds.

He died on the ship and it's still out there, going far beyond the solar system. Earth had a fleet in transit to blow up Mars at the time over a resource conflict and Mars bought peace by giving Earth the drive technology so they also had access to the near infinite wealth of the Solar system and the cold war has persisted until the shows timeline.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Solomon Epstein’s life was explained in the short story “Drive”.

It’s free online and like seven pages long.

In the first page of Leviathan Wakes it’s stated that his ship eventually reaches 5% of the speed of light.

Technically, I think pre‐Epstein drives were fusion‐based as well, but they were really lovely compared to Epstein’s refinement.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/BlissfulForkedHarpyeagle.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/AstonishingFrailBighorn.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/MasculineTintedAfricanharrierhawk.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/MaleUnrealisticJumpingbean.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/CommonNegligibleConch.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GrayDisguisedGoat.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AdmirableScarceAmericanrobin.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/OffensiveSmartGorilla.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImperturbableDifficultHylaeosaurus.mp4

e: Missiles getting caught in the net is double the size of any of the other videos, and I don’t think it’s as visually impressive, so instead of embedding it at 560p, here is a 720p link.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 2, 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Show continues to be great, but I felt nothing about that ending in terms of those characters. Could have just introduced Bobbie, given her room to breathe and let the other ones be Communist Marine mooks ala Lopez and the Donnager Marines for all the emotional impact it had. That's a very minor complaint though to how overall great it is getting some very solid near-future hard sci-fi. loving love it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demiurge4 posted:

His ship maintained a constant acceleration over 4g's for several weeks. 4g's means he weighs 4 times what he does on Earth and since he was Martian born he was already used to a lower gravity so he wasn't able to move. This was a first because the Epstein drive was able to maintain acceleration for weeks or even months at a time when humans were still using chemical drives to do short burns in order to transit between worlds.

He died on the ship and it's still out there, going far beyond the solar system. Earth had a fleet in transit to blow up Mars at the time over a resource conflict and Mars bought peace by giving Earth the drive technology so they also had access to the near infinite wealth of the Solar system and the cold war has persisted until the shows timeline.

Cheers, i know how it works, just didn't see a resolution to what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“A hundred and fifty years before, when the parochial disagreements between Earth and Mars had been on the verge of war, the Belt had been a far horizon of tremendous mineral wealth beyond viable economic reach, and the outer planets had been beyond even the most unrealistic corporate dream. Then Solomon Epstein had built his little modified fusion drive, popped it on the back of his three-man yacht, and turned it on. With a good scope, you could still see his ship going at a marginal percentage of the speed of light, heading out into the big empty. The best, longest funeral in the history of mankind. Fortunately, he’d left the plans on his home computer. The Epstein Drive hadn’t given humanity the stars, but it had delivered the planets.”

In the past episode, Epstein’s ship speeds past Jupiter, the drive till it appears to be just another star. That’s what that represents: the best, longest funeral in the history of mankind.

• Locked thread