Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Now that I'm back playing I really like the touch that all the media in the AD World is tightly controlled by the government. It really gives it a dystopia vibe even if that's a dystopia where the megacorps are inexplicably the good guys compared to the evil monolithic government

e: ryoko giving souji poo poo over thinking celestial being: the movie was accurate is fantastic

e2: holy poo poo these cat puns

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good post somewhere detailing the options for getting this game in the US? I'm assuming it's mostly just import a disc or buy psn cards, but how does that jive with DLC and so on? I'm sure this has been answered already 50 times but it wasn't in the OP or anything so yeah sorry.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Light Gun Man posted:

Is there a good post somewhere detailing the options for getting this game in the US? I'm assuming it's mostly just import a disc or buy psn cards, but how does that jive with DLC and so on? I'm sure this has been answered already 50 times but it wasn't in the OP or anything so yeah sorry.

Set up a Singapore PSN account. Then, after getting the game digitally or physically, you can use SGD PSN cards to buy the DLC.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Inferno-sama posted:

Set up a Singapore PSN account. Then, after getting the game digitally or physically, you can use SGD PSN cards to buy the DLC.

That's not too bad then. Once paid for and downloaded, any account on the ps4 can use the stuff, right?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Light Gun Man posted:

That's not too bad then. Once paid for and downloaded, any account on the ps4 can use the stuff, right?

Yeah. Just bare in mind that it's costly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What is the DLC, and is any of it worth it?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

e: ryoko giving souji poo poo over thinking celestial being: the movie was accurate is fantastic
So how different is CB: The Movie compared to Z3's version of events?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Senerio posted:

What is the DLC, and is any of it worth it?

Bonus missions. Gives you tons of cash, TacP, and parts. It's kind of... okay? I got a bunch because I had left over SGD. They add to the plot a bit, but they're not particularly significant.

The last one I played was about trying to convince the Eva team to work together, as taught by Benkei, and it failing spectacularly several times over. Until Ryouma suggests something... and it fails spectacularly, but they decide to reinterpret it their own way and it works anyway.

Edit: Got Ple and Ple 2's Ace bonus... both of which is "trigger spirit command concentrate at the start of player phase when focus is above 130"

... was concentrate a spirit command in this? I'm only missing one command on the list (after Bravery), and I kinda doubt it's concentrate.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 1, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

:stare: What the gently caress!? Sylvia is whipping Ange and all the mana users are cheering! What the gently caress!? When I first completed V, I thought Ange was being too cruel to Sylvia for shooting near her and giving her a slasher smile. Now that I'm doing the Cross Ange levels!? I'm surprised Ange didn't put one between the eyes! And then do the same to Clovis-I mean Julio! And the citizens are cheering!? Why isn't there an option to burn them to the ground!?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean if you're raised your entire life to see a certain class of people as the literal embodiment of evil, you aren't going to show them any sympathy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Cross Ange world is explicitly the shittiest place in the world populated by the shittiest people and its villain is considered the shittiest person by literally every single person in the world. It's pretty impressive how all-in they are for "no, really, these people suck"

Supremezero posted:

Edit: Got Ple and Ple 2's Ace bonus... both of which is "trigger spirit command concentrate at the start of player phase when focus is above 130"

... was concentrate a spirit command in this? I'm only missing one command on the list (after Bravery), and I kinda doubt it's concentrate.

It's a editing error. Concentration is "Zero-In". That is also Marida's ace bonus. It's pretty clear at least one translator was going off different skill translations because almost every ace bonus uses older translations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Closing in on the end of the game and was extremely and pleasantly surprised by Emperor of Darkness showing up for a fight.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

It says something when the only reason I didn't just let the dragons kill everyone (after destroying all their security bots) is because the game wouldn't let me. Hell, Ange and Hilda bonding over wanting to destroy the world actually made me like Hilda, if only because she wants to kill people who are objectively worse and whom killing is a good thing. Also the whole bit about her mother, but mostly the killing

Edit:

Oh Snapple! posted:

Closing in on the end of the game and was extremely and pleasantly surprised by Emperor of Darkness showing up for a fight.

That was an amazing surprise.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So is there some way I'm missing to look at the activated forms of various units in the mech list? I know you can find alternate forms (like Getters) at the end, but I don't see any way to look at, say, Biosensor Zeta or NT-D Unicorn.

Just to make it more confusing, Mazinger Zero and Awakened 01 are there, too, despite being essentially the same thing as NT-D.

Edit: Just aced Bright. Uh. 5 Focus. Every turn. In the commander aura.

Is there any way to increase the size of the commander aura, please let there be a way to increase the size of the commander aura. If I give him the "Grant pilot level 4 commander" part, does that increase his commander level by 4?

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 2, 2017

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Boo, I missed out on the Black Mightgaine secret scenario before stage 18. I hadn't gotten too many kills with that cast, somehow. They were the softeners for other units and I didn't properly feed kills. I have 100% of skill points so I guess that's not a factor.

I really hope I get some of these secret stages, especially the money pinata one later.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Tobia's ace bonus refers to the "Hot Blooded" spirit, so I can only assume they changed the spirit names part way through translation and missed things.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Supremezero posted:

Is there any way to increase the size of the commander aura, please let there be a way to increase the size of the commander aura. If I give him the "Grant pilot level 4 commander" part, does that increase his commander level by 4?

Nope, that just sets you to level 4 aura.

Levantine posted:

Boo, I missed out on the Black Mightgaine secret scenario before stage 18. I hadn't gotten too many kills with that cast, somehow. They were the softeners for other units and I didn't properly feed kills. I have 100% of skill points so I guess that's not a factor.

I really hope I get some of these secret stages, especially the money pinata one later.

To get the Black Gaine scenario you just need to solo Hiryu with Mightgaine. Bomber can do damage before the event too, it doesn't matter. Kills aren't a factor afaik. Do we know any of the requirements for the other secret stages?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

EthanSteele posted:

To get the Black Gaine scenario you just need to solo Hiryu with Mightgaine. Bomber can do damage before the event too, it doesn't matter. Kills aren't a factor afaik. Do we know any of the requirements for the other secret stages?
Yeah if you solo that part there's a special message about how Maito could have asked for help but didn't.

The whole thing is completely undermined though because Bomber had done like 3/4 the damage for him already. I was expecting Hiryu's hit points to be refilled like usual in this situation but they weren't.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm somewhat curious, which parts are folks who have completed the game looking at for bringing into NG+?

The free energy refill every turn is the only one I can solidly pick. I feel like a case could be made for a good bit of them.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm somewhat curious, which parts are folks who have completed the game looking at for bringing into NG+?

The free energy refill every turn is the only one I can solidly pick. I feel like a case could be made for a good bit of them.

Usual Soul of Steel / Hero's Mark, Spiral Effector?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

AKB0048, Xenoglossia, Symphogear, and Delta.

Dispatch nothing but idols all day every day.

Crossover with Hasbro IPs so Jem and the Wondercolts can also use magic song attacks. Except one of them is basically the Steve Miller Band emblem and thus it's the best one.

Also because I want the final boss to be Nightmare Tiacron. A mixture of DnD Tiamat, Nightmare Moon, and Unicron. Bonus points if Serpent OR is it's herald. With Raistlin Majere as his Head/Powermaster.

Basically I want a Hasbro IP crossover SRW type game. The current IDW comics are merely a logical half IPs version of it. But no Inhumanoids, Visionaries, MLP, DnD, Magic, and god knows what else Hasbro has bought up over the years that they probably don't even know they own. Plus with Takara Tomy there is extra poo poo like Zoids, Blokman (aka Robotech Robolinks), Starriors, non TF Microman and Diaclones...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

EthanSteele posted:

I 100% soloed Hiryu though, so I have no idea.

edit: I take that back, guard diver may have support defended when I had him over there for healing so maybe that counted against me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Levantine posted:

I 100% soloed Hiryu though, so I have no idea.

edit: I take that back, guard diver may have support defended when I had him over there for healing so maybe that counted against me.

That could very well be it then. Normally I would expect it to be only damage done but I guess they went with no help at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I'm now on Scenario 43. And I need 25 Aces by 49?

I have 41, I thought this was supposed to be hard :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The crossover stuff in this game is so loving good

Ruri's a product of the Ultimate Coordinator Project! Joe was a GN-X pilot and was personally trained by Graham! Hokushin is a Meganoid!

Just pour that poo poo all over me Banpresto this is what I wanted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

The crossover stuff in this game is so loving good

Ruri's a product of the Ultimate Coordinator Project! Joe was a GN-X pilot and was personally trained by Graham! Hokushin is a Meganoid!

Just pour that poo poo all over me Banpresto this is what I wanted

Yeah, they really went all-in on the crossover and it's great. Every series feels like it gets some impact, even the relatively thin ones like Zambot. In particular I like that Black Noir is partially defeated by the Zambot 3 ending being subverted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The crossover stuff and the dialogue is absolutely fantastic. My only real beef with the game is that it's easily the easiest SRW since W; I've been consciously not spending tac points on anything but the passive upgrade and I've been avoiding upgrading any units and the game is still INCREDIBLY easy. Like "unupgraded protagonist of a series trivially shitstomps boss from own series 1v1 with no outside help" consistently easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

The crossover stuff and the dialogue is absolutely fantastic. My only real beef with the game is that it's easily the easiest SRW since W; I've been consciously not spending tac points on anything but the passive upgrade and I've been avoiding upgrading any units and the game is still INCREDIBLY easy. Like "unupgraded protagonist of a series trivially shitstomps boss from own series 1v1 with no outside help" consistently easy.

I didn't think it was hard but I think it was at least harder than Z3 and Z2 for unupgraded units. The spell changes give you a lot more flexibility but it also is compensated for (at least in the late game/hard) by enemies having 100% hit rates and taking minimal damage from anything but the hardest hitting attacks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't think it was hard but I think it was at least harder than Z3 and Z2 for unupgraded units. The spell changes give you a lot more flexibility but it also is compensated for (at least in the late game/hard) by enemies having 100% hit rates and taking minimal damage from anything but the hardest hitting attacks.

Also, Off. Support was nerfed.

I think SRW is too flexible and has too many variables for actual difficulty to not be a pain. Fire Emblem has simple physical rules around units and terrain, so if your poo poo gets one-shotted it's at least nominally your own fault.

Speaking of which, I think the quality of crossover material here is related to the added freedom of writing they (maybe paradoxically) get from cutting the setting into smaller, more focused settings. Obviously there will be a core metaplot and stuff like Gundams are shared (don't tell me, I'm only in the 20s still) but stuff like the Nergal/Senpuuji and Mars/Jupiter crossovers in the ADU, for instance, must be helped along by the fact that Anaheim and Mithril are from another continuity where the only things in space are the Spacenoids.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

One thing that did strike me was how low boss HP remained for most of the game. While it does eventually jump up a bit (relatively speaking), ~72,000 at the end isn't much when you throw a Mazinger at it and chunk the thing for a third of it at least.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Did you end up doing upgrades at all? I'm toying with taking everyone to their custom bonuses once I get the upgraded original just because custom bonuses are neat and flavorful but I don't want the game to fall over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It'd be interesting to have a stage where you fight Mufti, either due to time travel or DLC or something, what with all the talk on Hathway almost becoming him.

Eternal Volfogg
Feb 13, 2012

BOMBER!!!!
I shamelessly FUB'd Bomber and gave him the GaoGaiGar opening for all attacks. No regrets. My top aces are Maito, Bomber and Kincaide (in the Jesta) right now. Just going for crazy rear end mix-ups, but Ple is amazing in the Xi (cause gently caress hathaway)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Did you end up doing upgrades at all? I'm toying with taking everyone to their custom bonuses once I get the upgraded original just because custom bonuses are neat and flavorful but I don't want the game to fall over.

I ended up doing upgrades eventually simply because I wanted to see them. It gets pretty absurd (Mazinger Zero and Awakened Eva-01 basically are gods) but on the alternate note it also felt like some units I didn't upgrade much were lagging pretty far behind. Seeing a Soul'd attack doing 4000 damage to a boss was pretty shocking and there were a few cases where certain robots quite literally could not out-damage an enemy's damage reduction and did like 1200 damage with a finisher. A full true no-upgrade game would probably depend a lot on proper EX management to use Direct HIt to pierce enemy damage resistances.

The game isn't even really going to be hard though. Even unupgraded Mazinger Zero and Eva-01 are two of the most absurdly broken units in a SRW just based on pure sheer power and it's fairly trivial to get them moving by turn 1 and you get a lot of other powerful units too. I feel like V favors supers though as most of the units I noticed lagging behind were reals.

When I have more free time I'll probably try a no-upgrade run through but that's gonna have to come after Nier/Zelda/Atelier/god knows what else.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2017

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Definitely feel like Supers come out ahead since a lot of enemy units are pretty accurate and dodgy, so a lot of the time you have to use spirits; in that case why not save a defensive spirit and just facetank with armor + prevail.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Just got my copy of the game today and played the first few stages (after acquiring all the DLC).

Man the Grungust feels so good, and Lottie is great.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Man everyone is so mean to souji from what I've seen :(. It's weird since everyone loves Chitose in her route.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Man everyone is so mean to souji from what I've seen :(. It's weird since everyone loves Chitose in her route.

To be fair he deserves it by trying to be smooth when he's actually a dingus. "I don't deal with sentimental scenes well" "So why are you here at a burial?" "uhhhhh" It turns into friendly ribbing and sick burns than meanness though.

Everyone from Unicorn looks real offmodel. Audrey is all sorts of wonky, Zinnerman's chin/facial hair is pointing in a different direction to his face and Bright's nose shadow is messed up so he looks like he has an extra half of one. Full Frontal is really good though. A lot of the other redraws are great, its just the Unicorn crew that are noticeably bad for me. I've also noted the portraits are a lot less dynamic than Z3, which is to be expected going from mugshots to full body, but they're also a lot less so than Z1/OGverse where people would have huge full body reactions to be shocked/surprised and instead here it's pretty much just eyes and mouth changes for the most part. Its not a huge deal, just something I've noticed.

I think the Nu only does the space bazooka animation with the flick now too, which is the best one, but I did like having different animations for different terrains, eg: Dai-Guard Drill Arm vs an air target.

Lovin' the game though, all the crossover stuff continues to be great as people keep saying.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I've got to say, VangNex is really growing on me.

I like GranVang's design a lot but ugggh it's animations are so choppy. It's heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm like 99% sure the choppy animation is a stylistic choice

• Locked thread