Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

i think this was his answer

it took him over 90 hours to complete, because you have to learn how to play the piano to finish the entire game

but if you already know how to play piano maybe it's a piece of cake

If you want to go with "real" games, I think it was Ikari Warriors that took him the longest to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Longest time to beat and hardest to beat would probably be different games though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

Longest time to beat and hardest to beat would probably be different games though

Also depends a lot on your definition of "beat", like Bases Loaded was one of the longest games to beat for TMR because he played a full season of 80 games.

I think Silver Surfer is probably up there, as that game is several slices of bullshit.

I'm not sure how this bet is meant to play out, since there are so many other variables (would Tengen games like Rolling Thunder count? What about Japan-only games? Who's determining difficulty?)

Difficulty can also be accidentally added, like if you're playing an RPG blind and get hopelessly lost or have a poo poo party structure.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had the cartridge and the cable for some reason as a babby but never the keyboard to go with it, I think someone gave them to us. My dad did buy the PC version later on which worked with any MIDI keyboard.

HMC
May 18, 2009

My family had the Miracle piano with the version they made for DOS. I actually tried learning for a while as a kid and made it as far as learning Ode the Joy before getting to some kind of parachuting minigame where I didn't understand what it wanted me to do and it wouldn't let me progress unless I beat it. And that's where my potential for musicianship died :saddowns:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Find the Google doc of The Mexican Runner's list of games, he lists difficulty there. Although he considered Ghosts n Goblins a 3/10..

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Monopthalmus posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XmDKPDsaZEo

Check out this condensed version of him beating it if you're interested. Even comes with its own massive keyboard controller.

Yeah I saw that. It's pretty great!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

Find the Google doc of The Mexican Runner's list of games, he lists difficulty there. Although he considered Ghosts n Goblins a 3/10..
This sheet has exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

univbee posted:

Also depends a lot on your definition of "beat", like Bases Loaded was one of the longest games to beat for TMR because he played a full season of 80 games.

I think Silver Surfer is probably up there, as that game is several slices of bullshit.

I'm not sure how this bet is meant to play out, since there are so many other variables (would Tengen games like Rolling Thunder count? What about Japan-only games? Who's determining difficulty?)

The person in question was not impressed by TMR's record, saying that they could beat NES games for money. The bet is $20 for a game of my choice.

There are way too many rules so that no one backs out or wins on a dumb technicality. I've limited the game pool to licensed NES. No famicom-only, pirates, hacks, nor language barriers. I am giving them two months because there are other life obligations and a new Zelda game. Save states and guides etc are okay for practice and research, but all attempts at a full run must be streamed. I will not choose something with passwords or game saves.

They've been a good sport about it so far, and I'm tempted to say something more reasonable than Silver Surfer or give them a choice of a few. Maybe a list of games with Silver Surfer as the easiest. I think they can do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I've actually never heard of this game, The Mexican Runner, nor NESmania before now but I'm absolutely delighted that someone learned the piano as a consequence of playing through every NES game. I would never have expected it.

I have the miracle piano complete with Nintendo logos and all but not the cable or the game cart. I hook it up via midi to my computer to dick around in fl studio sometimes but I've never actually played the miracle keyboard game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ikari Warrior no code. I'll have to watch that stream because I don't even know how that's possible, the entire game is horseshit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

This sheet has exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Some of his 10's aren't really that difficult, just time consuming. Ultima III? Once you understand the system then it's no problem, it just takes a bit of time. Might and Magic is a bit tougher but not that much harder.

Athena, OTOH, is 100% pure bullshit.

Heran Bago posted:

The person in question was not impressed by TMR's record, saying that they could beat NES games for money. The bet is $20 for a game of my choice.

There are way too many rules so that no one backs out or wins on a dumb technicality. I've limited the game pool to licensed NES. No famicom-only, pirates, hacks, nor language barriers. I am giving them two months because there are other life obligations and a new Zelda game. Save states and guides etc are okay for practice and research, but all attempts at a full run must be streamed. I will not choose something with passwords or game saves.

They've been a good sport about it so far, and I'm tempted to say something more reasonable than Silver Surfer or give them a choice of a few. Maybe a list of games with Silver Surfer as the easiest. I think they can do it.

Oh yeah, go Athena. Make them suffer for that $20.

If you really hate them and want to drive them to madness, Legacy of the Wizard is a good choice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legacy of the Wizard you just need to take the time to map it out, it's just a game that needs time.

The NES version of GnG is intentionally harder than the arcade one but you get infinite lives so again, just a matter of time.

Athena I think you'll lose your friend. They'll shoot themselves before the first stage is over. It's the only way to erase the memory of bad graphics and ear bleeding sounds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8bitdo doesn't have any plans for Genesis-style controllers but man, I really want them to change their mind.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Ninja Gaiden is still pretty dang hard.

vvvv battletoads is also a good one. I've still never made it past the bike level. I'm pretty bad at games though.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

From my own personal experience:

Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden
Adventure Island 1
Dragon Quest 2
Ghosts N Goblins

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Martytoof posted:

8bitdo doesn't have any plans for Genesis-style controllers but man, I really want them to change their mind.

This, also I want them to make a two button NES controller. Maybe I'm being spergish but a four button controller just isn't the same to me, I'd love to see them make a 1:1 NES controller. Maybe it's not worth it considering it'd have more limited usage than what they already make, though.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Martytoof posted:

As much of a Sega fan as I am I am totally cool with my FC30. I'm even playing SMS Ultima 4 with it right now.

However if they wanted to do a Saturn pad? :getin:

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Just got my $12 Hyperkin Genesis 6-button and I am really happy with it. If it's not perfect to the original it doesn't really matter as it is still worlds better than the mashed-to-hell original I've been playing on. Recommended instead of paying more for a beat up original on eBay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Captain Rufus posted:

As much of a Sega fan as I am I am totally cool with my FC30. I'm even playing SMS Ultima 4 with it right now.

Yeah I meant for when/if I buy a Genesis :cool:

My SFC30 is so loving amazing. I bought three, two for my SFC and one for my computer. Well, actually I bought two SNES30s from a goon and swapped the buttons from my legit SFC controllers :q:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

Legacy of the Wizard you just need to take the time to map it out, it's just a game that needs time.

The NES version of GnG is intentionally harder than the arcade one but you get infinite lives so again, just a matter of time.

Athena I think you'll lose your friend. They'll shoot themselves before the first stage is over. It's the only way to erase the memory of bad graphics and ear bleeding sounds.

Who said friend? I wouldn't mind a game that simply takes time, but true madness or hosed up obscure difficulty is great.

For being such a good sport I will them choose between:
Silver Surfer
Athena
Bump 'N' Jump
Ikari Warriors

Especially brutal with the last two considering no cheat codes so no continues. I wanted to say Back to the Future Part II & III and Adventure Island 1, but with youtube guides and save state practice these are possible. Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads are hard but outside of the speed bike level they're not hosed up hard. Legacy of the Wizard would be doable with a walkthrough.

I'll mull it over for a few more hours before issuing the death sentence.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Captain Rufus posted:

That would own. Especially since the button layout is backwards compatible with the Genesis. They'd just have to do a receiver for each.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Code Jockey posted:

This is incredible, I love it

also I absolutely must own that Kiryu where did you get him

It's a Kiryu Kazuma Figma, you can get him pretty much anywhere Figma are sold. I had it preordered since forever ago and just recently got it. :kimchi:

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Factory-Yakuza-Kazuma-Action/dp/B019OEYDW8

d0s posted:

I saw all those sega models at shops in japan and regret not buying them

If you still want them most are available (sometimes in rotating stock bursts, Wave made most of them and they're small)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10313213 - Hang-On
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481 - Astro City (preorder)
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10405479 - Blazblue Vewlix
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10429170 - Nitroplus Vewlix
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10343442 - Crane machine (Hasegawa, not Wave, I still need to order this)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Who said friend? I wouldn't mind a game that simply takes time, but true madness or hosed up obscure difficulty is great.

For being such a good sport I will them choose between:
Silver Surfer
Athena
Bump 'N' Jump
Ikari Warriors

Especially brutal with the last two considering no cheat codes so no continues. I wanted to say Back to the Future Part II & III and Adventure Island 1, but with youtube guides and save state practice these are possible. Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads are hard but outside of the speed bike level they're not hosed up hard. Legacy of the Wizard would be doable with a walkthrough.

I'll mull it over for a few more hours before issuing the death sentence.

Just remembered a good one: The Krion Conquest. Imagine harder, junkier Mega Man with no continuing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

From my own personal experience:

Battletoads
Ninja Gaiden
Adventure Island 1
Dragon Quest 2
Ghosts N Goblins

Dragon Quest 2 is pretty easy once you realize the trick to get infinite money

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Monopthalmus posted:

Just got my $12 Hyperkin Genesis 6-button and I am really happy with it. If it's not perfect to the original it doesn't really matter as it is still worlds better than the mashed-to-hell original I've been playing on. Recommended instead of paying more for a beat up original on eBay.

Good to know, I'm about to get one myself after I add to the problem by unloading some ancient 3rd party controllers on ebay first. As a result of my attempts to find a semi decent genesis controller I'm drowning in a pile of average to awful feeling ones anyways, time to get one that's at least newly made.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Caitlin posted:

It's a Kiryu Kazuma Figma, you can get him pretty much anywhere Figma are sold. I had it preordered since forever ago and just recently got it. :kimchi:

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Factory-Yakuza-Kazuma-Action/dp/B019OEYDW8

I did not know this existed, thank you!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Martytoof posted:

Krikkz of everdrive fame is working on wireless Genesis controllers.

https://twitter.com/krikzz?lang=en

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mak0rz posted:

Dragon Quest 2 is pretty easy once you realize the trick to get infinite money

I meant the endgame. I should have specified. It's quite brutal. In a genre that normally lets you brute force content by character training, even if you spend 200 hours grinding to the level caps AND use glitches to get equipment AND get a lucky drop from a specific monster AND win the lottery for consumables, there's still a decent chance the final boss will destroy you. That's also assuming you actually make it there with all 3 characters alive and with enough MP.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

If you still want them most are available (sometimes in rotating stock bursts, Wave made most of them and they're small)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10313213 - Hang-On
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481 - Astro City (preorder)
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10405479 - Blazblue Vewlix
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10429170 - Nitroplus Vewlix
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10343442 - Crane machine (Hasegawa, not Wave, I still need to order this)

I feel like with the Hang-On machine I would have to put my Kaneda action figure on it.

But Kiryu is a good choice, too!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like with the Hang-On machine I would have to put my Kaneda action figure on it.

I do not have a Kaneda, but the first thing I thought when I put the base bike together was "this looks a lot like an Akira kit" so you are not alone!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

Well it's quite appropriate to put Kiryu on it since maxing a friendship in Yakuza Zero unlocks a playable copy of Super Hang-On.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So in my efforts to learn Microsoft PowerShell, I wrote a quick script that will select a random ROM in my library and launch it.

Not sure if anyone wants it, but I figured I'd post it here:

Random.ps1
code:
$files = Get-ChildItem E:\Emulators\* -Include *.gen, *.nes, *.smc, *.v64* -Recurse
$rom = $files | Get-Random -Count 1
Invoke-Item $rom
And this is the .bat file I use to execute it (so I can make a shortcut to it on my desktop).

Random.bat
code:
@ECHO OFF
PowerShell.exe -Command "& 'e:\Emulators\Random.ps1'"
You'll have to run "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted" first :siren:which can open your PC up to a world of poo poo so don't blame me when you run something that blows it up:siren:.

You'll also have to associate your ROM files (SMC, GEN, etc.) with their appropriate emulators.

The house rules with the Random ROM Script is:

1.) Pass player 1 controller to the right. Run the script.
2.) Player 1 must play the ROM for 5 minutes minimum.
3.) If the game is two-player, player two is to the left of player one.
4.) After 5 minutes, or when everyone's done, quit the emulator, start process over at 1.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 2, 2017

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lord Dudeguy posted:

So in my efforts to learn Microsoft PowerShell, I developed a script that will select a random ROM in my library and launch it.

That's actually a really cool idea! Nice work.

I kind of want to build something like this into my retropies. I wonder if I can create a menu item in a given emulator that'd trigger a random ROM via python script.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Thanks! It's a lot of fun, and the random number generator is a wrathful god. You'll get Barbie. I promise.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ofecks posted:

I meant the endgame. I should have specified. It's quite brutal. In a genre that normally lets you brute force content by character training, even if you spend 200 hours grinding to the level caps AND use glitches to get equipment AND get a lucky drop from a specific monster AND win the lottery for consumables, there's still a decent chance the final boss will destroy you. That's also assuming you actually make it there with all 3 characters alive and with enough MP.

There is a sort-of workaround: the mid-bosses stay dead as long as you don't actually save. So you can kill the four mid-bosses, teleport back to the last sanctuary, and talk to the guy so you fully recover HP and MP but don't save, and the mid-bosses won't be there when you go back. Still requires a bullshit amount of grinding, though, that cave to Rhone is quite the extra slice of bullshit.

DQ2 is a solid game with some very interesting workarounds sprinkled throughout.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

I kind of want to build something like this into my retropies. I wonder if I can create a menu item in a given emulator that'd trigger a random ROM via python script.

You can use Bash:

code:
ls /path/to/roms |sort -R |tail -n 1 |while read file; do
	emulator_binary $file
done
I mean, it's not as versatile as a script that picks every ROM for every system, but it's a start.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 2, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ofecks posted:

I'll have to take your word for it. I played through most of the game without any notable issue but burned out at the final dungeon. I never actually finished it :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Code Jockey posted:

Hah, I really like the idea of some kind of physical NES Roulette system, where you power it on and it picks a random game and then when you die you push the button and it resets to a new random game.

The best would be if you put it inside an LCD cube, and changed the sides of the cube to match the random games being picked. Like a real-life Mario Kart pickup box!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have been wishing that someone would make a random emulation screensaver. It would be awesome to just have a screensaver that goes from game to game's attract screen, especially for arcade stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Djarum posted:

I have been wishing that someone would make a random emulation screensaver. It would be awesome to just have a screensaver that goes from game to game's attract screen, especially for arcade stuff.

There was a screensaver like this that I used years ago, which would load a NES rom and then run a playthrough (of recorded inputs) through whatever games it had them for. It was super cool.

I think this might be it? http://www.ubernes.com/nesscreensaverfeatures.html But it's been a long time and this doesn't look quite like what I remember. It might have just gotten more complex since then though.

It only does NES games but it's still neat. I don't know if something like this exists for other systems.

• Locked thread