Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Huh so the Sixers are essentially trying to keep reinjuring Embiid (an obvious All-Star MVP candidate) so they can resign him for significantly less money? Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Time posted:

It isn't at all actually. Washed up dudes who can't get an NBA contract put up silly numbers there all the time
Yeah, and with a player with Jimmer's flaws specifically I would think getting in to a league where you can take every shot you ever wanted because no one can guard you might just re-inforce his bad habits.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Mambold posted:

I remember a couple years ago Mourningview going lol if you think he'll stay in OK out of loyalty to the franchise or the city and I was like "But he donated a million bucks to the community relief the week of that horrendous tornado." and Mourningview was like yeah, whatever.
Idk if he's fake or just impulsive or if I even have a point here. But now he's hurt so it would be lovely for the fans to rub it in. IMO.

Some Bucks fans still boo Ray Allen, you're going to accept that sports fans will hate for no good reason no matter what

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

I remember a couple years ago Mourningview going lol if you think he'll stay in OK out of loyalty to the franchise or the city and I was like "But he donated a million bucks to the community relief the week of that horrendous tornado." and Mourningview was like yeah, whatever.
Idk if he's fake or just impulsive or if I even have a point here. But now he's hurt so it would be lovely for the fans to rub it in. IMO.

Nah. Boo the poo poo out of him.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

God dammit just after I bought my Pacers/Sixers tickets!!!!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
On the bright side, when Embiid does play it's more of an event.

pubic works project posted:

You will still get to see ROTY candidate Super Dario Saric

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogobot I have a weird random question for you: what's the most consecutive games two specific teammates scored at least 20 points in each game? Because Wiggins and KAT have both scored 20+ in 15 games straight and I know when Wiggins got to 17 they made a big deal about him breaking a franchise record for most consecutive 20 point games (KG had 16 a few times).

If I had to guess it would be Shaq/Kobe or Durant/Russ with the record.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Any Thunder fan who doesn't boo Kevin Durant doesn't understand sports and should probably get a different hobby or something

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If the 76ers get the first overall pick again I'm going to fill a basketball with TNT sticks and put it on top of a big fancy cake at Adam Silver's birthday party

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Oh, he's been awful this year. He was still really good last year, even if he was more of a relief pitcher coming in for short spurts to give you a physical paint presence.

I still like the signing for the Cavs because, why the hell not? I think we only see him play in the playoffs in garbage time or if they are throwing stuff at the wall.

Playoffs will help him a lot cause the refs will let him be much more physical. Strength and being an rear end in a top hat are the last things to go

Fast Luck posted:

Matt Barnes is such a good pick up for the Warriors though. I mean maybe what they really need is the Clippers Matt Barnes of a few years ago but still, they're lucky he was out there unemployed. How will it be for KD if the team he joined, who had the best record in history last season by the way, win the championship without him?

It says a lot that he was available. His skillset is one that's never going to be out of place on a contender, if he still has it, so...

RaySmuckles posted:

durant out until the playoffs makes the 1 seed incredibly vulnerable especially since the warriors and the spurs have to play each other twice more this season.

now the question of course is, do the spurs want to face the clippers in the playoffs? that's a dangerous game

either way, kawhi's mvp chances are improving

You want home court and the chance to only play one of Houston and GSW regardless. Clips could be anywhere from the 4 to the 7 seed, they're a half game behind Utah, not gonna win their division, and less than two games out from Memphis and OKC while not being healthy. A little luck and at the 1 seed you could go up against Denver, a not ready for primetime Utah, and then get homecourt against either Houston or GSW who just had to play 2 hard series. It's a no brainer.

Dexo posted:

Derek Fisher was in violation imo.

You can't just cook on another man's grill like that.

Look the ex and kids can make their own decision about who they want to spend time with. But you can't be out here cooking food on my grill. That is a sacred bond.

A grill cannot consent

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I can't wait to see Bryan Colangelo figure out what Joel Embiid's worth is in contract negotiations after next season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

He's very easily persuaded according to his ex fiance

Mandrel posted:

Any Thunder fan who doesn't boo Kevin Durant doesn't understand sports and should probably get a different hobby or something

Leave SAS gramps alone

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/JustinVerrier/status/837015966580105217

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So is Pop a dick if Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green on him 24/7

or are they considered heroes if they let Tony Parker's useless rear end guard him all day

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i just saw that the nets have lost 27 out of 28?

:stare:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the warriors are even light years ahead of others in determining the acceptablr amount of fan outrage from teams they've poached players from

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
looking forqard to kawhi crushing the dubs in the semis tbh

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/SI_ChrisBallard/status/837007189436854272

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

The problem with Jimmer averaging so much in China is he will believe it proves his point that the offense should always run through him.

This'll be great. Hopefully it'll become a cyclical phenomena where some bubble playoff team gives Jimmer the green light and then he goes back to China after alienating all his teammates and coaches

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Steven Adams wouldn't have let himself get thrown to the ground like that. Just saying.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Matt Barnes was pretty bad for Sacramento. He started ok but quickly fell off. Couldn't really guard anyone, couldn't really shoot, and made a bunch of bonehead decisions out there because he couldn't keep up with people. Things will be much easier for him in GS, but he looked pretty cooked out there

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TBeats posted:

They have exactly one starting caliber NBA player and few more that would crack the rotation on a normal team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

I can't wait to see Bryan Colangelo figure out what Joel Embiid's worth is in contract negotiations after next season.

You have to figure he'll play at best about 70% of games and work from there, you could have lots of games played incentives, but in the end it doesn't matter because the Nets and 10 other teams would give him a max offer sheet

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Haha he's literally frightened that a gay person will see him naked (because ??? Perhaps he fears that the romance of the moment will overcome him and he will have to rethink his self-image as he lays naked on the lockerroom floor in the post-coital embrace of his teammate?)

homophobia is such a strange old-fashioned insecurity

This is needlessly contrarian, but if a woman said she didn't want to change in the same locker room as hetero men, would that be laughable?

It's not comprable and obviously a man isn't going to be a threat to a huge muscular 7 foot guy the way a man might be to a woman. But not wanting a sexed gaze on you while you're naked and trying to relax, you can call it silly, in this case it is, but you can see where he's coming from

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is needlessly contrarian, but if a woman said she didn't want to change in the same locker room as hetero men, would that be laughable?

It's not comprable and obviously a man isn't going to be a threat to a huge muscular 7 foot guy the way a man might be to a woman. But not wanting a sexed gaze on you while you're naked and trying to relax, you can call it silly, in this case it is, but you can see where he's coming from

Straight female athletes deal with open lesbians all the time and don't say things like they would drive a different route to the arena.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It sounds really homophobic and ignorant to assume gay people immediately want to gently caress anything remotely within distance, because that's what STAT is fearing

Does he think everyone in the military is gay

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Straight female athletes deal with open lesbians all the time and don't say things like they would drive a different route to the arena.

I'm not saying it isn't silly. But he's just stating how he feels and trying to make his feelings known in the least exclusionary way possible. He said he'd go to another place to change, not "I dont want any gays in my locker room looking at my rear end hole." As in the gay player is welcome in the locker room,but he, personally, is uncomfortable with the idea of being naked around around a gay man.

I would call that a step in that right direction as far as athlete tolerance goes

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

TBeats posted:

I mean, I think their current record is about what everyone expected

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

are you incredulous about them having lost 27 or won 1?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

Hey you'll still get to see Rodney Stuckey!

Also Ty Lawson asked instagram for a bomb Taco Tuesday spot in Sacramento and now is out for tonights game.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 2, 2017

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Eltoasto posted:

Also Ty Lawson asking instagram for a bomb Taco Tuesday spot in Sacramento and now is out for tonights game.

This is amazing

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Ugh.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

Also Ty Lawson asked instagram for a bomb Taco Tuesday spot in Sacramento and now is out for tonights game.

holy lmao.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

:argh:

Also whoever made that recommendation placed an emphasis on "bomb"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pretty sure you max Embiid . If he has an injury and never plays, you can get salary cap relief.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are Colangelo you need Embiid on your side because you are running out of friends in Philly quick.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Eltoasto posted:

I bet he had the very overrated Adalbertos

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dirk can reach 30K if he scores sixty tonight.

Tae posted:

The two major issues with the noah signing is you would've had to ignore his health history, and why 4 years.

Yea, he's missed nearly a quarter of his regular season NBA career. Not the best ratio.

One of LBJs strengths is that he remains healthy. While all these good players keep going down with silly injuries of all types year after year...LBJ just keeps playing. Played about 95% of his possible games. Like Karl Malone.

attackmole posted:

Yeah when Cousins had that quote about "praying for help" in Sacramento and about how stoked he was to be playing with Davis the cynic in me was thinking about how terrible the rest of the NO roster is beyond Davis and Holiday. Like, it's kinda even beyond Sac. Dude's gonna be praying for help just as hard over the next year. Davis + Cousins rules but I honestly don't know if you can be a successful basketball team with 2 superstars, 1 good player and then the next 10 guys are sub-replacement player level.

I'd be hesitant to call them superstars. Yea, they're two of the better big men today but there isn't a no doubt MVP big man these days.

I've been hearing people on TV and in articles saying things about DMC and AD being the next David Robinson/Tim Duncan. David Robinson had a 20 WS season. Since the NBA/ABA merger the only others to do that are Jordan and LBJ. I'd bet a lot of $$$ against AD or DMC reaching 20 WS in a future season.

The other thing is that even if you brought peak Robinson/Duncan to 2017 they'd still need 3P shooting. The game has evolved a ton and people are still talking like it's the 1990s. Rebounding barely matters, big men doing backflip dunks from the FT line are still worth only two points.

It's no coincidence that the four best teams in the league by WP% and SRS are also the four best 3P shooting teams by 3NP.

RaySmuckles posted:

gotta love the nba. anything can happen, even when we've all been assured that last season and this season's conclusions were inevitable.

Anything can't happen. If GSW loses it very likely means the Spurs or Cavaliers get their rings.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/world_wide_wob/status/837104443212517376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
zogo the brow is a superstar wtf are you talking about

• Locked thread