Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish I could make a cup of their longjing for anyone I ever heard say that they don't like green tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hope and vaseline posted:

I wish I could make a cup of their longjing for anyone I ever heard say that they don't like green tea

I literally said gently caress LIPTON to a coworker today when I was raving about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I wanna blow some Christmas cash on tea, and y'all have convinced me to get some Long Jing from Teavivre. I've never ordered from them before, anything else I should grab that really stands out?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

wow, White2Tea will have a new steady customer from now on. out of the 6 samples of raw puer I bought I've tasted 5, and every single one has been great so far.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sirotan posted:

I wanna blow some Christmas cash on tea, and y'all have convinced me to get some Long Jing from Teavivre. I've never ordered from them before, anything else I should grab that really stands out?

If you like black tea, their selection of Keemun is really nice this year. My favorite is the Organic Superfine Fragrant: http://www.teavivre.com/keemun-fragrant-black-tea/
The Keemun Hao Ya and Aromatic Snail are both excellent choices too.
I'm also a big fan of their Wild Lapsang, which -unlike most lapsangs- is not smoky at all: http://www.teavivre.com/lapsang-souchong-wild-black-tea/
On the oolong side of things, I really enjoy their standard grade Dong Ding: http://www.teavivre.com/dong-ding-oolong-tea/
I got some of the Superfine Dong Ding during their Black Friday sale as well, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
Finally, I'm not really into white tea, but their Jasmine Silver Needle is wonderful if you like jasmine teas: http://www.teavivre.com/jasmine-silver-needle-tea/
Hope that helps!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Their medium roast dong ding is really fantastic. http://www.teavivre.com/superfine-taiwan-moderately-roasted-dongding/ I'm not a fan of the greener varieties.

ulvir posted:

wow, White2Tea will have a new steady customer from now on. out of the 6 samples of raw puer I bought I've tasted 5, and every single one has been great so far.

Yeah, W2T probably has the best curated raw selection out there. I wish I could justify the cost of buying their high end stuff, but it's hard when their budget selections hit the sweet spot for me.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Has anybody tried a large variety of jasmine greens? Teavivre has a few different options.

I was brewing this stuff mixed 50/50 with some cheaper jasmine green from the grocery store. Super floral. Sadly I ran out of my 1/2 kg.
Silver Jasmine Green Tea (Mo Li Yin Hao)
http://www.teavivre.com/silver-jasmine-green-tea/

Haven't had this, it's a bit more $.
Mo Li Piao Xue Jasmine Green Tea
http://www.teavivre.com/mo-li-piao-xue-jasmine-green-tea/

The pearls seem a bit more gimmicky, also I think they are more pure jasmine and less green tea taste, also more $. They look pretty though.
http://www.teavivre.com/jasmine-dragon-pearl/

I tend to get tired of tea varieties quickly but jasmine green is the one thing that has stayed with me. Also if anyone has any other sites than Teavivre.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Comb Your Beard posted:

Has anybody tried a large variety of jasmine greens? Teavivre has a few different options.

I was brewing this stuff mixed 50/50 with some cheaper jasmine green from the grocery store. Super floral. Sadly I ran out of my 1/2 kg.
Silver Jasmine Green Tea (Mo Li Yin Hao)
http://www.teavivre.com/silver-jasmine-green-tea/

Haven't had this, it's a bit more $.
Mo Li Piao Xue Jasmine Green Tea
http://www.teavivre.com/mo-li-piao-xue-jasmine-green-tea/

The pearls seem a bit more gimmicky, also I think they are more pure jasmine and less green tea taste, also more $. They look pretty though.
http://www.teavivre.com/jasmine-dragon-pearl/

I tend to get tired of tea varieties quickly but jasmine green is the one thing that has stayed with me. Also if anyone has any other sites than Teavivre.

There are a bunch of sites in the OP, but you'll still have to search through to find your jasmine greens. I don't care for the jasmine part and there aren't many greens that I really truly enjoy. The ones that I do really enjoy have mostly come from Teavivre with the exception of one high mountain green from the Tea Source.

Edit: You could also just search for greens and add some jasmine separately. You'll get more variety that way. Tea shops tend to not blend the very best because they often get over run by the the florals.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 9, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like Upton's Jasmine Oolong (it's on the green side of things). I also like their Premium Chinese Jasmine but it looks like they don't stock it anymore.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, I tend to just add dried jasmine flowers to my tea, so I can choose how floral to make it. Same with chrysanthemums, roses, and other flowers. I think I paid about $2 for 1.5oz of plain dried jasmine at a Chinese convenience store last time I bought tea there. Then a week later someone gave me a bag of the same stuff, from the same store, "in case your poo poo isn't floral enough". My friends know me so well. :j:

Then again, I'm not terribly picky and will also buy the little $2 tins of jasmine and oolong teas there because why not? More tea, more variety, and if it's terrible, I'm not out much money. Some of my favorite daily drinkers are cheap things I've found at Chinese and Vietnamese markets around here.

On a related note, I may have made a resolution to drink most of the tea I already have before buying more. Then my husband bought me tea for Christmas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah, I tend to just add dried jasmine flowers to my tea, so I can choose how floral to make it. Same with chrysanthemums, roses, and other flowers. I think I paid about $2 for 1.5oz of plain dried jasmine at a Chinese convenience store last time I bought tea there. Then a week later someone gave me a bag of the same stuff, from the same store, "in case your poo poo isn't floral enough". My friends know me so well. :j:

Then again, I'm not terribly picky and will also buy the little $2 tins of jasmine and oolong teas there because why not? More tea, more variety, and if it's terrible, I'm not out much money. Some of my favorite daily drinkers are cheap things I've found at Chinese and Vietnamese markets around here.

On a related note, I may have made a resolution to drink most of the tea I already have before buying more. Then my husband bought me tea for Christmas.

Christmas is last year, you're still good for this year. I'm in the same boat. I have to drink out my drawer which became two drawers full of packets. I still reach for the PG Tips on a regular basis though, because sometimes you just need a mediocre cup of tea with a bunch of milk. Not all tea is the same quality, but you can drink them all. My wife brought me a couple tins of tieguanyin and long jing from Shanghai once and they were solid cups. They weren't amazing, but if you only drink amazing tea, there's no longer anything special about it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bees on Wheat posted:

A restaurant here does a tea that's straight-up chrysanthemums and honey. It is amazing for a sore throat! I ought to try adding flowers to tea; I really like floral notes and usually just buy whatever jasmine green seems decent enough at the Asian market.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I can recommend this snow chrysanthemum very highly.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So lately I've started to drink teas to switch off of coffees. What's a good budget option for a college student, preferably something I could order online from Amazon? And what are some cheap but flavorful black and greens that might be good to try? So far I've only had some various teas from murchie's, but they were all very good (their no. 22 blend loose, and their English breakfast in bags.)

Stuff that's easy to hand wash is preferable, as I'm in a college apartment with no dishwasher.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do you have any Asian markets in your area? They always have a bunch of inexpensive tea you can usually buy in big quantities.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Do you have any Asian markets in your area? They always have a bunch of inexpensive tea you can usually buy in big quantities.

I have a few close to school. Are there any decent brands and varieties I'd be likely to find there? They're all relatively large supermarkets.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 15, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

everythingWasBees posted:

I have a few close to school. Are there any decent brands and varieties I'd be likely to find there? They're all relatively large supermarkets.

It's a crapshoot. I've tried a ton of sketchbag chinese market teas, but I can't really tell you which will be good or not. If it's much cheaper than $5/100g it's probably poo poo. The best one I've found of this type was a Dong Ding tea that was something like $9 for 150g, but I don't have the packaging anymore.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

everythingWasBees posted:

So lately I've started to drink teas to switch off of coffees. What's a good budget option for a college student, preferably something I could order online from Amazon? And what are some cheap but flavorful black and greens that might be good to try? So far I've only had some various teas from murchie's, but they were all very good (their no. 22 blend loose, and their English breakfast in bags.)

Stuff that's easy to hand wash is preferable, as I'm in a college apartment with no dishwasher.

Since you mentioned Murchie's, they've got a very solid selection of loose leaf teas in their stores, I haven't been in years so I can't tell you what's currently good drinking though.

I always found their quality to be well above anything you'd find in a supermarket and better than your average chain tea store like Teavana/DavidsTea.

Amazon has a pretty terrible selection last time I looked.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

hot date tonight! posted:

Since you mentioned Murchie's, they've got a very solid selection of loose leaf teas in their stores, I haven't been in years so I can't tell you what's currently good drinking though.

I always found their quality to be well above anything you'd find in a supermarket and better than your average chain tea store like Teavana/DavidsTea.

Amazon has a pretty terrible selection last time I looked.

Murchie's black and green blends are their signature, and also what they do best IMO. Library Blend, No. 22 Blend and CBC Radio Blend are all really nice.

Their black blends (English Breakfast, Irish, Scottish etc.) are kind of weak, but they're definitely a better value than David's. Their "royal" blends like Prince Charles are better, but also a little more expensive than the Breakfast blends.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm thinking of making the switch from bags to loose tea. What should I be looking for in babby's first tea pot? Not sure if it's relevant, but I'd be using it exclusively for "stuff you can find in a normal grocery store" black tea.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just pick up any ol' pot you can find, either glazed porcelain or glass, and buy an additional strainer if the pot comes without a basket infuser. no need to break the bank if "all" you want is a cup of earl grey or something similar. just avoid cast iron pots, they have a tendency to make the tea taste burnt.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

ulvir posted:

just pick up any ol' pot you can find, either glazed porcelain or glass, and buy an additional strainer if the pot comes without a basket infuser. no need to break the bank if "all" you want is a cup of earl grey or something similar. just avoid cast iron pots, they have a tendency to make the tea taste burnt.

Gotcha, thanks.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ulvir posted:

I even bought a cheap french press as my first teapot. It was lousy for coffee, but pretty good for tea.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

I even bought a cheap french press as my first teapot. It was lousy for coffee, but pretty good for tea.

The trick with using a french press for tea is to put the tea on top of the press so that you can filter and remove it when it's time steeping is up. Not the greatest when you're doing multiple infusions, but amazingly easy to clean and super simple for single infusions.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Forlife cup/infuser combos are my favorite way of making tea when I'm too lazy to gongfu. Comes with a really fine and wide mesh filter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

I'm thinking of making the switch from bags to loose tea. What should I be looking for in babby's first tea pot? Not sure if it's relevant, but I'd be using it exclusively for "stuff you can find in a normal grocery store" black tea.

This thread turned me on to the Finum baskets for single cup brewing and they're great.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This thread turned me on to the Finum baskets for single cup brewing and they're great.

They're also good for use in teapots too - I found that Forlife infusers tend to get stems stuck in the holes. Not so with the Finum baskets!

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Not sure if any of you are in the area, but the Toronto Tea Festival is coming up this weekend. I've volunteered for the last 4 years and enjoyed it every time. Always some great new teas to sample, and some pretty cool lectures/presentations too.

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
O-Cha started selling cooking-grade matcha for a price that was hard for me to pass up at least for the sake of science, and I'm quite interested in doing whatever the gently caress with it.

Matcha-infused ghee is definitely happening, as are all kinds of matcha "latte" monstrosities, but with 300 grams of the stuff being at my disposal pretty soon I don't feel like I'm pushing the envelope hard enough. I'm basically reaching out to you in search for more culinary heresy I can pull off with this gem that isn't just ice cream and cupcakes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Video posted:

O-Cha started selling cooking-grade matcha for a price that was hard for me to pass up at least for the sake of science, and I'm quite interested in doing whatever the gently caress with it.

Matcha-infused ghee is definitely happening, as are all kinds of matcha "latte" monstrosities, but with 300 grams of the stuff being at my disposal pretty soon I don't feel like I'm pushing the envelope hard enough. I'm basically reaching out to you in search for more culinary heresy I can pull off with this gem that isn't just ice cream and cupcakes

Matcha shortbread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pancakes maybe?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Captain Video posted:

A glaze for salmon, shortbread cookies, sauce for beef or chicken (or a marinade), make your own pasta with it as flavoring, a drizzle sauce to put on anything vaguely sweet or savory, granola, cheesecake, fruit salad, a stew or soup... I may come up with some more later, but matcha is a nice flavor and goes with almost anything. Next time you go for a meal, see if you imagine a way work it in!

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
Good ideas, goons. I'm going to have to try some matcha-rubbed chicken or roastbeef, as well as shortbread if I can find a gluten-free recipe that isn't rear end (or tolerably rear end).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Video posted:

Good ideas, goons. I'm going to have to try some matcha-rubbed chicken or roastbeef, as well as shortbread if I can find a gluten-free recipe that isn't rear end (or tolerably rear end).

Gluten-free shortbread should be easy, because the idea with good shortbread is preventing the formation of gluten strands. Any simple gluten-free flour should make nice shortbread. In fact, if you make some shortbread from rice flour, it might end up being the best and lightest shortbread you've ever had.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

CommonShore posted:

Gluten-free shortbread should be easy, because the idea with good shortbread is preventing the formation of gluten strands. Any simple gluten-free flour should make nice shortbread. In fact, if you make some shortbread from rice flour, it might end up being the best and lightest shortbread you've ever had.

I made shortbread with 50% almond flour and 50% cake flour (and lots of extremely creamed butter) and it had the most amazing texture, light and melty. I'm going to have to try it with rice flour instead of cake flour.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I looked up that Long Jing green tea you guys were raving about and it's apparently grown in a satellite city of Shanghai. I'm surprised you guys can't taste the pollution.

Since you guys are all unanimously raving about it I might get a little bit, also. While I'm at it, can you guys make some recommendations for new teas to try? I'm a big fan of barley tea (보리차), Earl Gray, Lady Gray, Rooibos, brown-rice green tea (현미녹차), raisin tree tea (헛개나무차), most other green teas, sweet tea, and peppermint tea. Kinds that I don't really like are English/Irish Breakfast (too bitter on the first steep for me... I need that condensed milk to make it palatable), and fruity-flavored tea (citrus accents like lady gray are cool though), and most other herbal teas.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

While I'm at it, can you guys make some recommendations for new teas to try? I'm a big fan of barley tea (보리차), Earl Gray, Lady Gray, Rooibos, brown-rice green tea (현미녹차), raisin tree tea (헛개나무차), most other green teas, sweet tea, and peppermint tea. Kinds that I don't really like are English/Irish Breakfast (too bitter on the first steep for me... I need that condensed milk to make it palatable), and fruity-flavored tea (citrus accents like lady gray are cool though), and most other herbal teas.

This is a nice herbal tea with a unique sweet flavor.
http://yunnansourcing.com/en/flower-and-herbal-teas/2640-yunnan-wild-grown-jiaogulan-gynostemma-pentaphyllum.html

Ive been meaning to try some taiwaneese teas from yunnan sourcing, they will be in a less polluted environment than china if thats a concern.
http://taiwanoolongs.com/products/bug-bitten-honey-aroma-certified-organic-oolong-tea-winter-2016

AmericanBarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 8, 2017

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
My curiosity got the best of me, and I mixed about a teaspoon and a half of my ceremonial-grade matcha into a bowl of ghee. Other than the fact that it could use a sweet edge like maple or honey, and that the end product inherited a lot of the ghee's aroma, it was surprisingly smooth and may solve the whole "enjoying matcha at work without wasting an eternity and a half on cleanup" conundrum.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TeaVivre's spring pre-orders are up. I only buy cheaper stuff but the Organic Bai Hao is very good. Grassy and a little sweet, not floral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

You guys are making an insufferable tea nerd out of me. Thanks. :11tea::arghfist:

Couple of questions. Any idea what kind of tea this is?

I love it, it's very pretty watching it unfurl, soft flavors, never bitter.

How is this strainer used? (Upside-down to better show how shallow it is)

What's the gospel on iron teapots? And are they supposed to shed paintlike chips? That's a little paint chip on the table there, that fell off the spout

I made a stereogram of my cup warmer for you to show my love and grattitude. :buddy: