Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I also can't wait to lose so bad it'll be so excellent I'm going to lose a lot of games of total war warhammer

Man you don't even know it's like you know you're going to lose and then you go into your games expecting to lose all three but you don't really know just how hard you're going to lose and so you just sit there after like "holy dang I lost real bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm bad at the good video game Total War Warhammer, is what I'm trying to say

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Panfilo posted:

I definitely like how they did traits for Brettonia. Beating legendary lords gives unique bonuses, and they give ways to get rid of the bad ones (Albrecht needs a time-out at a grail chapel to cure his laziness. All he's drove is sitting around at the special port staring at boats wistfully.

Also:Windmills have one of the funniest flavor texts of any building in the game.

The trait system is great:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

however I'm very good at multi-post sniping

e: heck

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Love to lose again goons. Sign me up;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/excelsiortothemax/

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

I had issues balancing peasant infantry with my economy and supporting more than 1.5 stacks. I think I need to diversify my economy more and rely on more Knights than infantry.

This works really well until you attempt a siege with heavy infantry blocking the gates.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
One trick pony army bad at other tricks.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't particularly like controlling 40+ units, but running around with my small force trying to make a difference against such overwhelming odds was a ton of fun. Is there a good way to coordinate with the AI to make this sort of thing happen more often? It wasn't just my forces plus Altdorf's garrison, empire had a full stack as well.

If you have an alliance or they're your vassal you can click on their stack and select the target.

I'm not sure what determines how quickly the move out to attack though, I've had some stacks sit while others have chased an enemy stack to the ends of the map.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sign me up for goon death
http://steamcommunity.com/id/AiurOG

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Brettonia seems to suffer with sieges, as I feared. I'm thinking perhaps siege towers full of battle pilgrims since they seem to do ok.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Finally got to play Brettonia:

-I really don't like how their economy is set up. Your infantry past a certain point start to wreck the economy itself. The Tailor/Storehouse combo seems flat out inferior to the Fields/Windmill combo and I don't know why people would want the latter unless you really think the siege holdout bonus is gonna make a difference in your campaign.
You're allowed to have both, and that's where the Brett economy really shines through: you can tear down all the non-money buildings in your safe provinces and stack them to hell with fields, tailors and trade-good production. You can also have more than one tailor per province, so the cellar gets a lot of mileage in larger places if you're gonna build a tailor in every settlement. It allows you to have a powerful economy while controlling very little territory, and a crazy powerful economy once the ball gets rolling.

I ended up turning over somewhere in the 20-30,000 GPT range without breaking much of a sweat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Trying to cheese Marienburg's siege in turn 2 I discovered two things:

-Louen can't climb walls even on foot. He's the only fucker in the realm without a handy pocket-sized ladder.
-Cavalry can hit the gate with their swords and break it down, given enough time. Heck, even managed to warp two units of knights through the gate when it still was at 90%.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Angry Lobster posted:

-Cavalry can hit the gate with their swords and break it down, given enough time.

:eyepop:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

ChickenWing posted:

Man you don't even know it's like you know you're going to lose and then you go into your games expecting to lose all three but you don't really know just how hard you're going to lose and so you just sit there after like "holy dang I lost real bad"

:same:

in my enthusiasm-riddled haze I forgot to include my steam page http://steamcommunity.com/id/ripvanwinklewastaken//

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

ditty bout my clitty posted:

This works really well until you attempt a siege with heavy infantry blocking the gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XicBBN1l4&t=109s

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Playing as Louen, I found that the best way to deal with Marienburg is to just walk up to their border turn one, recruit 4 guys, then peace deal with them at the start of turn 2. It's worked for me the two runs I've tried on very hard.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Who needs siege weapons when you have knights?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Any unit can take the gate down by attacking it, not just cav.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Sometimes if defenders are a little too close to their gate it'll open assuming they wanted out, and you can have your cavalry squirt inside.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Angry Lobster posted:

Trying to cheese Marienburg's siege in turn 2 I discovered two things:

-Louen can't climb walls even on foot. He's the only fucker in the realm without a handy pocket-sized ladder.
-Cavalry can hit the gate with their swords and break it down, given enough time. Heck, even managed to warp two units of knights through the gate when it still was at 90%.

What happened in my game is that I attacked the orcs straight away then sieged Marienburg the turn after and his army eventually came out to attack me rather than me losing all my poo poo in a siege. After that he fled north to Gorssel and offered himself as a vassal for peace. Worked out pretty well!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I found with Louen your fun with the campaign depends on if you can win the siege of marienburg.

What I did was recruit better peasants turn 1, wipe out the orcs turn 2, heal turn 3, sail to the wasteland town turn 4, encamp next to it turn 5, then win a open field battle against the stack they send to defend it.
It left marienburg just barely defended enough that I could scrape by a win with a siege tower built and had it by turn 10, the extra experience and damsel spells helped, would of been even easier if I lucked out on a blessing of the lady from any of the previous fights.

I really like the trait system for the brets and how underneath the trait it tells you exactly what you did to gain it, fighting khazrak gets you a trait for 10 chivalry and causes fear, raiding too much gave me a negative trait, executing prisoners gave a trait, holding a rioting province gave traits and so on.

Is there anywhere online to look at the list of various bret traits and what legendary lords give unique traits?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Trujillo posted:

Any unit can take the gate down by attacking it, not just cav.

drat, didn't know that. Hundreds of peasants have died for this mistake, oh well who cares.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

drat, didn't know that. Hundreds of peasants have died for this mistake, oh well who cares.

Yep, something else about sieges that everyone might not know is that there's a decent sized area in front of the gate where the towers don't hit. If you hold the mouse over the tower you can see their range. So one thing you can do is rush your whole army up to that area and break down the gate. After the gate is down they'll usually vacate the walls if a fight hasn't started on them, then you can send some infantry up ladders while your heaviest units go through the gate. As long as they don't have a huge amount of missile units you'll usually take a lot less casualties than if you sit under tower fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trujillo posted:

Yep, something else about sieges that everyone might not know is that there's a decent sized area in front of the gate where the towers don't hit. If you hold the mouse over the tower you can see their range. So one thing you can do is rush your whole army up to that area and break down the gate. After the gate is down they'll usually vacate the walls if a fight hasn't started on them, then you can send some infantry up ladders while your heaviest units go through the gate. As long as they don't have a huge amount of missile units you'll usually take a lot less casualties than if you sit under tower fire.

Also you can outshoot them off the walls especially if you have fliers to pick off their ranged.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So, how are people actually using peasants? I found their low speed a liability, and tend not to use any except mounted Yeomen. You'll end up with less stacks running around, but those stacks hit much harder than regular stacks, and they're fast as hell. Because peasants run so far behind, it ends up splitting your army in half in battle, and they're less useful on the campaign map to boot.

I'll occasionally call up huge peasant stacks if beastmen start marauding around the heartlands or whatever, but dudes without horses have no place in a real Brett army.

Sure knights are expensive, but their speed on the campaign map largely mitigates the fact you have less stacks.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
When using ladders, do your units suffer passive attrition like in STW2? Or is it instead severe penalties to morale or combat?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So, how are people actually using peasants? I found their low speed a liability, and tend not to use any except mounted Yeomen. You'll end up with less stacks running around, but those stacks hit much harder than regular stacks, and they're fast as hell. Because peasants run so far behind, it ends up splitting your army in half in battle, and they're less useful on the campaign map to boot.

I'll occasionally call up huge peasant stacks if beastmen start marauding around the heartlands or whatever, but dudes without horses have no place in a real Brett army.

Sure knights are expensive, but their speed on the campaign map largely mitigates the fact you have less stacks.

I was under the impression that unit types no longer affected campaign map movement. Is that no longer true?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How do you summon a manticore? I've got it unlocked, with a space in my army but the spell isn't showing when in battle.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

How do you siege?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Smiling Knight posted:

I was under the impression that unit types no longer affected campaign map movement.

Correct.

e; imagine how loving garbage a dwarf campaign would be if that "feature" still was in the game :v:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 1, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

When using ladders, do your units suffer passive attrition like in STW2? Or is it instead severe penalties to morale or combat?

They're super tired when they get to the top, and they trickle in which makes them easy targets to get ganged up on. I only use ladders as a last resort.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vargs posted:

They're super tired when they get to the top, and they trickle in which makes them easy targets to get ganged up on. I only use ladders as a last resort.
The combat effects of fatigue are something I'm only tangentially aware of, which is why I really hope the "vigor loss reduction" skill I max out on every lord that can has the significant effect I hope it does.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo am I bad at this game, all of a sudden. This is my 4th campaign that I've given up on as the Brets now. With only a single stack, it only takes one mistake to topple everything. gently caress this poo poo, I love the Brets but they hate me apparently. Might have to come back to them again at a later time because getting dunked on by the AI like this is already getting old.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Fish and Chimps posted:

Holy poo poo am I bad at this game, all of a sudden. This is my 4th campaign that I've given up on as the Brets now. With only a single stack, it only takes one mistake to topple everything. gently caress this poo poo, I love the Brets but they hate me apparently. Might have to come back to them again at a later time because getting dunked on by the AI like this is already getting old.

Which Legendary Lord are you starting as? Some have easier starts than others IMO.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

Which Legendary Lord are you starting as? Some have easier starts than others IMO.

Leon. Mousillon is a bitch. This campaign seems like trial-and-error to learn the correct method of dealing with stuff, with an error meaning lose all my irreplaceable units or restart.

Edit: Last restart was after a failed siege of Mousillon. Both Leon and Ramirez got killed. I usually do pretty well in TW but this cavalry poo poo has me beat

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

wiegieman posted:

Deployment is an engine thing that I don't think they plan on changing. That's the weakness of a supporting army, that they have to trickle in from off the map.

I had a battle with two stacks of endgame dwarves vs four stacks of AI VC, in the underway tunnels. One of their stacks spawned in the exact same place as my one, which turned my planned wall-to-wall gunline into a giant brawl. I won, with only a single unit left standing: the Lord (a fairly low-level one too) of the second stack.

IIRC certain units have a hidden stat that makes them especially good at bashing down gates. The only ones I can remember are Miners and Trolls.

Also there's a Bret trait for winning 90% of your battles. :smug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can load a quicksave if you want...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

The combat effects of fatigue are something I'm only tangentially aware of, which is why I really hope the "vigor loss reduction" skill I max out on every lord that can has the significant effect I hope it does.

When a unit gets exhausted it gets a ton of debuffs including losing the bulk of its armor value. If you keep an eye on a lord while he's fighting you can see his health start dropping really fast as soon as he hits exhausted.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Fish and Chimps posted:

Leon. Mousillon is a bitch. This campaign seems like trial-and-error to learn the correct method of dealing with stuff, with an error meaning lose all my irreplaceable units or restart.

Edit: Last restart was after a failed siege of Mousillon. Both Leon and Ramirez got killed. I usually do pretty well in TW but this cavalry poo poo has me beat

I would try Bourdaleaux or Carcassone.

Leon's start is probably the toughest IMO because of the triple Marianburg, Greenskin rebellion, and Mousillon threat.

Pendent posted:

When a unit gets exhausted it gets a ton of debuffs including losing the bulk of its armor value. If you keep an eye on a lord while he's fighting you can see his health start dropping really fast as soon as he hits exhausted.

Oh wow, I had no idea. I thought it just made your troops slower while stacking a couple inconsequential -1 to melee attack and defense debuffs. Welp, that Chaos Big Bird battle is going to suck (My quicksave is on the pre-battle screen with Big Bird attacking my Brettonian single stack in Forced March position - 30% victory chance odds).

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pendent posted:

This is what makes grail knights so strong. Not having their vigor go down means whomever they're fighting will get pooped after a while. This is also why catching an army that was force marching or already retreated gives such a huge advantage as well.

I think 'completely exhausted' reduces the units stats by like 40% or something huge.

• Locked thread