Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fyodor posted:

The symposer wasn't due to laziness but because these cars were developed in Europe they plan them to meet European noise regulations. The Symposer is their way of adding it back in to the "experience."

That said, I would count on the same team working on it and therefore it having the same sedate sound w/o trickery.

I removed my FiSTs symposer this weekend and it's getting a straight piped exhaust with black circular tip literally at this moment. Bring on the cracks and pops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

howling_mad posted:

I removed my FiSTs symposer this weekend and it's getting a straight piped exhaust with black circular tip literally at this moment. Bring on the cracks and pops!

Yeah around this time last year shortly after receiving my tax refund I broke down and bought the MBRP catback (and shortly after an AP from Mountune and a symposer delete) - of course some will disagree but I don't think there's a better sounding exhaust available for the car (and drone wise it's only really bothersome on long highway trips - in which case I do wear earplugs). Actually it seems to have become a bit quieter in the past few months - either that or I've lost some of my hearing.

That said, the overrun sounds and pops are a thing of absolute beauty though and range from constant DSG-esque snaps between shifts to loud as gently caress explosions out the tailpipe when nailing a fast and hard downshift that sound like a cannon going off, and that's with the original cat still on - and I've gotten lots of compliments on it as well from all different sorts. Also seemed to give a decent power increase after some tuning by Randy@Mountune - I believe I ended up at 205 WHP / 272 WTQ (at least according to VD). Enjoy! In my opinion the Fiesta ST sounds worlds better than the Focus ST both in stock and uncorked form.

I was kind of on the fence regarding whether I was going to keep it out of warranty ('16 with 21k miles) and had considering a trade in for a new GTI last fall (or selling it outright and buying my 190E back which I still have feelings for despite breaking my heart when it's headgasket went tits up in a spectacular fashion in Boston traffic) but I think I'm gonna hang onto it for a bit longer because it's such a brilliant and incredibly fun car to rap on, it's even a hoot to drive in the dry with 15" snows/steelies on and I couldn't even say that about my old 95M Miata.

Gonna need a fresh set of rubber in a month or so though - so if anyone knows what's good (and available on TR so I buy via wholesale) please let me know.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pilot Sport 4S if they're in your size

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Awwww yis.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Sweet ST. I heard you can get great deals on them right now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

Awwww yis.

Cool car bud!

Also I pay 220 a month for my RS because I'm a loving idiot and managed to get a ticket each year for the 5 years before I bought it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Congrats man. Looks just like the one I got a couple weeks ago. Don't kill yourself on the cup 2s in the cold!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

willroc7 posted:

Sweet ST. I heard you can get great deals on them right now.

I laughed at this, but an R looks way more like a GTI than an RS looks like an ST.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

Yeah around this time last year shortly after receiving my tax refund I broke down and bought the MBRP catback (and shortly after an AP from Mountune and a symposer delete) - of course some will disagree but I don't think there's a better sounding exhaust available for the car (and drone wise it's only really bothersome on long highway trips - in which case I do wear earplugs). Actually it seems to have become a bit quieter in the past few months - either that or I've lost some of my hearing.

That said, the overrun sounds and pops are a thing of absolute beauty though and range from constant DSG-esque snaps between shifts to loud as gently caress explosions out the tailpipe when nailing a fast and hard downshift that sound like a cannon going off, and that's with the original cat still on - and I've gotten lots of compliments on it as well from all different sorts. Also seemed to give a decent power increase after some tuning by Randy@Mountune - I believe I ended up at 205 WHP / 272 WTQ (at least according to VD). Enjoy! In my opinion the Fiesta ST sounds worlds better than the Focus ST both in stock and uncorked form.

I was kind of on the fence regarding whether I was going to keep it out of warranty ('16 with 21k miles) and had considering a trade in for a new GTI last fall (or selling it outright and buying my 190E back which I still have feelings for despite breaking my heart when it's headgasket went tits up in a spectacular fashion in Boston traffic) but I think I'm gonna hang onto it for a bit longer because it's such a brilliant and incredibly fun car to rap on, it's even a hoot to drive in the dry with 15" snows/steelies on and I couldn't even say that about my old 95M Miata.

Gonna need a fresh set of rubber in a month or so though - so if anyone knows what's good (and available on TR so I buy via wholesale) please let me know.

Nice!

Mine's literally 2.5" from the cat back with a black MBRP tip (fits the space really nicely -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JDSERWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

The exhaust is without a doubt, slightly obnoxious, but frankly it fits the character of the car really well. It's got kinda of a rally car thing going on. It pops a bit on almost every upshift, and pops and crackles on aggressive downshifts. A bit of drone at 2700rpm/70mph, but not bad at all up to 60mph.

It's cheap to add a resonator given the hard work is done, so if I ever get the itch I'll simply change it out. For now all I have to do is paint the hubs a nice dark gray, plastidip the stock wheels (sadly I have damage from a car wash), and start learning how to detail like a pro. I removed the sound symposer this prior weekend--which was a huge PITA as the metal retainers on my hoses faced inwards towards the engine bay--I had to cut them with a drat dremel.

Enjoy the ride!

howling_mad fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 28, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Congrats man. Looks just like the one I got a couple weeks ago. Don't kill yourself on the cup 2s in the cold!

I should probably mention that this is my first car with a standard transmission. Yes, I'm that guy. :downs:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

I should probably mention that this is my first car with a standard transmission. Yes, I'm that guy. :downs:

That was me 10k miles ago. You'll be fine!

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CAFE laws really limit what kinds of cars they can sell in the US

e: sorry wrong acronym

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

JollyPubJerk posted:

CARB laws really limit what kinds of cars they can sell in the US

???

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KillHour posted:

This was also me a year ago to the day. I had to have my boss drive it from the dealership to a parking lot where he taught me how to drive it. It's daunting at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be fine!

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I know that painted calipers can be seen as a bit silly... But drat do I love the blue calipers with that blue paint. Lovely car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

This was also me a year ago to the day. I had to have my boss drive it from the dealership to a parking lot where he taught me how to drive it. It's daunting at first but you get used to it pretty quickly. You'll be fine!

Good to know I'm not the only one. I had to drive it home myself in stop and go traffic during rush hour. Thank God for that stall recovery. :)

PabloBOOM posted:

I know that painted calipers can be seen as a bit silly... But drat do I love the blue calipers with that blue paint. Lovely car.

Thanks! Honestly, the entire car is a bit silly - that's why I love it. I wasn't going to get it in the blue, but I'm so glad my grandma and girlfriend talked me into it.

What did everyone end up paying for theirs? I was worried I'd have a hard time finding one without a markup, but ended up getting it under MSRP.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 28, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How much under MSRP are RSes going for?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was able to get the dealer to do $500 off MSRP, but they also gave me more than my trade in was worth. All in all, I basically ended up with a free moonroof.

The original price the dealer was asking was $3k over list because "rare car" (even though they had 5 on the lot). I walked out the door and got a VERY apologetic call the next morning.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Pryor on Fire posted:

How much under MSRP are RSes going for?

You'll be lucky to find one at MSRP, period.

I was lucky to find a dealership that was willing to let me order at MSRP. A lot of Ford dealers are being absolutely retarded about the whole thing. I called a dozen different dealers within a 100 mile radius of Fort Wayne, IN when trying to find one. Most of them didn't have any, weren't getting any, and were unsure if they could even order one. Then there were the two dealerships that did have them, one wanted $5000 over MSRP and weren't willing to budge, the other wanted $1000 over MSRP. Luckily I found a dealership locally that was pretty understanding of the whole situation, was upfront about accepting my order (basically letting me know it may or may not happen), and was willing to take a $500 refundable deposit to place the order. I ordered on 12/5/2016, Ford accepted the order on 1/5/2017, and the car was built on 2/7/2017. It's currently sitting at the factory in Germany waiting to be shipped to the port in Belgium for it's transatlantic voyage to New Jersey, then to be shipped to my dealer. I'm figuring early to mid May before the car gets to my dealer.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think things have changed quite a bit since early December wrt RS availability, if there's any way to cancel that order you can probably get one tomorrow for MSRP. There are 12 listed near me for below retail on the dealer's website. But of course they've got some way to gently caress you on canceling orders don't they? Because it's the auto industry and of course they do.

Still seems like a tough sale at full retail pricing, but maybe the industry collapses and we get some real deals this year here's hoping!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Ford's inventory website is incredibly misleading. When a dealer places a custom order like mine, it will show up on their inventory when you do a model search. As I found out when I was contacting dealers that showed they had an RS in stock, many of them were customer orders that were already spoken for.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
The same dealership that offered to sell me an RS with a $20k ADM decided to go all in and order a couple truckloads of RS'es. They now can't unload em and have at least one priced at 3k under MSRP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know what compels dealers to be so stupid.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

I don't know what compels dealers to be so stupid.

Greed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The dealer I bought mine from 3 weeks ago had three RS2s sitting on the lot for MSRP. They're definitely out there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You've been able to get them for MSRP or less for months now. You just might have to travel. The guy I work with that had one and sold it had a lead on multiple others at/below MSRP before he decided to just grab another FiST and wait on the Civic Type R.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Just got a JB1 for my mk7 GTI. I've got it set on +5 psi and so far I'm really pleased with it. Obviously it doesn't change throttle response but power and power delivery is so much better now. Second and third gear remind me a lot of my Speed3 now, as it'll actually push you back in your seat a bit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Get a downpipe now.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you find a place you'd trust to install one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Install which? The JB1 can be done in fifteen minutes without a jack.
I've done the downpipe in two hours with a floor jack and two jackstands. I put the stock downpipe back in under 45 minutes.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so Id need stands? no welding?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stands unless you want to die :v:

No welding. One allen bolt on the turbo, three bolts on the downpipe to block support, two bolts for the chassis to downpipe to support, two bolts for the CV heat shield, four bolts for a chassis brace that travels under the exhaust, and two bolts for the downpipe to midpipe clamp. Rotate the stock downpipe out to the right side of the car. Aftermarket downpipe is cake going back in.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
What drove you to get rid of your GTI? I feel like you covered t earlier in the thread but I don't remember.

Wife still really loves the Fiesta but I'm leaning more towards the GTI at the moment.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

AvesPKS posted:

Obviously it doesn't change throttle response

The throttle response really isn't bad at all in sport. There's a slight delay but nothing like on my TDI where I can blip the throttle to the floor and it gains like 200 rpm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Quite A Tool posted:

What drove you to get rid of your GTI? I feel like you covered t earlier in the thread but I don't remember.

Wife still really loves the Fiesta but I'm leaning more towards the GTI at the moment.
There were a lot of reasons, but I think most of it came down to seeing that I owed ~$19k on a car that I paranoid about parking, worried about blowing up, and didn't really enjoy... so I cut my losses and spent $6500 on an older BMW and am now very happy with the decision.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got a quote from the shop I'm probably going to want my car to go to. $4500. :lol:

They did notice a couple things I hadn't. From the right angle you can tell that they either didn't paint the drivers side door at all or they just did another terrible job of blending it. The light was just right that you could also see the spray lines on the hood!

So bad.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

The throttle response really isn't bad at all in sport. There's a slight delay but nothing like on my TDI where I can blip the throttle to the floor and it gains like 200 rpm.

It felt more than slight to me, but all I really have to compare it to was my Speed3. It may have also been more attributable to the taller gearing of the manual on the GTI and different expectations in response i.e. having nothing down low but knowing anything above 3k results in instant throttle vs actually having usable power from 2-3k with power building but no real surge.

I also bought my Speed3 new without really knowing how to drive stick. Driving home I barely got it onto route 70 and drove it from Frederick to down around the Beltway, somehow.

BlackMK4 posted:

Install which? The JB1 can be done in fifteen minutes without a jack.
I've done the downpipe in two hours with a floor jack and two jackstands. I put the stock downpipe back in under 45 minutes.

How long do you think it would take a mechanic to install? I'm pretty much a novice with cars and installing the jb1 was slightly intimidating. Really just plug D was difficult once I was able to visualize where all the plugs were.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

I also bought my Speed3 new without really knowing how to drive stick. Driving home I barely got it onto route 70 and drove it from Frederick to down around the Beltway, somehow.

That is not a car I'd want to learn on. Heavy clutch with what feels like half an inch of friction zone in the pedal travel.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Got a quote from the shop I'm probably going to want my car to go to. $4500. :lol:

They did notice a couple things I hadn't. From the right angle you can tell that they either didn't paint the drivers side door at all or they just did another terrible job of blending it. The light was just right that you could also see the spray lines on the hood!

So bad.

Wow that's Maaco level orange peel. Did they use single stage paint?

The shop that resprayed mine did a better job than the factory paint imo. Which insurance paid for this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

opengl128 posted:

That is not a car I'd want to learn on. Heavy clutch with what feels like half an inch of friction zone in the pedal travel.

Ha yeah it was not fun. What was fun was finding out where each and every slight incline existed at a light where I'd never noticed them before. And stalling out a bunch. Fortunately I was also borrowing a car and had 2 weeks to practice before I started driving it daily.

Another reason why I like hill start assist.