Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
ITT: Trin accidentally includes a company of WHFB's Grail Knights into the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think The Sandman is chain failing their morale checks in the German thread

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Shoot him for cowardice.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I think the Germans still have a half-decent chance if they can just turtle up, shoot the poo poo out of the possibly over-exuberant French, and wait out their win conditions. I do think there's an interesting roleplaying question about how their overall army commander will feel about a town that is captured but completely cut off, though. It'll be interesting to see if that is interpreted as a win or a draw or what. It also could be possible that the French army decides to charge forward enough to screw up their own lines and open communication to Quatre-whatever.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hey, want to know the really funny thing? That runner is 99% going to reach St C in the next couple of turns, they'll phone to General Kuno, and General Kuno is then going to tell them, "very well, hold on to the last man, casualties be damned, hold on until dawn!" and revoke the 3/4 losses auto-lose condition for them. Ain't I a stinker?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wait... so you're planning to change the German win condition!?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ViggyNash posted:

Wait... so you're planning to change the German win condition!?

Pretty sure it's a hidden condition for either side if they get a runner back.

HEY GAIL posted:

"I lust only for cav death." --Hegel, right now

Looks like Hegel may get her wish shortly :unsmigghh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The win condition stays the same as it ever was; but the reward for a team getting to the corner objective is that, once they've done that, if they're going to lose the battle, they have to lose by being pushed out of the objectives they've taken, and not because the enemy accidentally at night bumblefucked into a brigade that's nowhere near anything important and caused a cheap end-by-bookkeeping. The end-by-bookkeeping result condition was only ever there as a backstop to ensure that the battle would end if neither side was going anywhere, without the need to fluff around looking for a negotiated draw like at the end of Grey's 1914.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 2, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice! So the Germans have to dig in and hold and hopefully they can make it through.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Hey, want to know the really funny thing? That runner is 99% going to reach St C in the next couple of turns, they'll phone to General Kuno, and General Kuno is then going to tell them, "very well, hold on to the last man, casualties be damned, hold on until dawn!" and revoke the 3/4 losses auto-lose condition for them. Ain't I a stinker?

So if the French take Q but not St.C by dawn, they still lose?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Well that went as expected.

RIP Cryo, Cassandra of the Rhine.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I know the German thread has calmed down, but their salt should be noted and taken into account. Trin is hoping to run 5 games, and the Germans in particular are already having trouble getting their commanders to put orders in.

It might be funny from here, but we won't see future games happen if everyone quits because the double-blind mechanics keep making them think the scenario is unfairly rigged against them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's a valid point, but the Germans also played rather badly despite having more firepower. If they even once listened to cryo, they would be fine.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think people giving up and neglecting to put orders in is a very good representation of falling battlefield morale if you ask me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's basically how every one of these types of games go, with rare exceptions. Player morale almost always breaks long before the battle is actually lost. I wouldn't worry about it sticking for the next game, though-there's always fresh reinforcements willing to jump in, and existing morale recharges pretty quickly once a fresh map is on the table.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Geez no garrison in Q is such a dumb mistake.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Update links: this time with a both-sides map so we can see exactly what's going on, being omniescent observers and all:

Entente
Germans

It's 9pm; the next update will see us through to 1am. (Also just noticed there's some fieldworks on there that need to be filled in, one of many excellent reasons why I'm considering replacing the Divisional/Corps assets system with making everything into its own brigade, including engineers and artillery.)

And it's now time for Episode 4 of "Crazycryodude Cassandra Is Literally Right About Everything, All The Time":

Crazycryodude posted:

The comedy option is hoping they don't leave a garrison in Q and I can just walk back in when everybody goes to pound on Croissant.

Comedy option is right, dude :laugh:

Vando posted:

I think people giving up and neglecting to put orders in is a very good representation of falling battlefield morale if you ask me

It's pretty much literally MoltketheYounger@theMarne.txt, although it's one piece of historical accuracy I think we could do without!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 2, 2017

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I just cottoned to what you're doing with the night turns not getting the full overview and instead only getting the immediate surroundings around the action. That's really clever and it's got to be maddening - it means CO's are getting just little bits of info and having to make guesses about the whole state of play. Very apropos for night action. Add in the risk of friendly fire and you're going to get Wellington at Seringapatam all over again.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Look at xthetenth go.

What happens if he makes it to Faibleimpot?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 2, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Oh God, the Germans are trying to talk themselves into taking Quatreports again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Look at xthetenth go.

He doesn't even know where he's going, he's just going.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I wish in OTL that WWII was more like this. With the (successful) cavalry charges, I mean. Komarow is too much of an outlier.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ViggyNash posted:

He doesn't even know where he's going, he's just going.

his not to reason why

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Look at xthetenth go.

Assuming the runner gets back to Clemenceau: the French victory timer activates, their 3/4 requirement goes away, but they get a nasty surprise when the game ends before they think it's due to; the German timer will finish first, and the Germans will still be credited with a minor victory.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Trin Tragula posted:

Assuming the runner gets back to Clemenceau: the French victory timer activates, their 3/4 requirement goes away, but they get a nasty surprise when the game ends before they think it's due to; the German timer will finish first, and the Germans will still be credited with a minor victory.

Didn't the german orders require that they hold Quatrepouts and defend themselves from flanking? AFAICT, the Germans would have managed their objective 2 while the french would have gotten their objective 3 and done pretty well at objective 2.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

But they would have lost their objective 1 and been beaten to the punch of getting the heavy mob in as reinforcements. (This is why I plan two levels of analysis: assuming things stay as they are, General Kuno will think it's a minor victory, General Lyautey will see it as a minor defeat, and The Historical Consensus 100 years later will think of it a rough stalemate; just another, and relatively obscure, component of the incredibly-inaccurately-named Race to the Sea.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So even if the French retake Q, they still have to take St. Croissant to avoid a partial victory for the Germans?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I don't know what's going on in The Sandman's mind, but I'm glad he was a part of the game. This is the best impression of a brigade commander suffering a mental breakdown I've ever seen. He swung from total depression to hyper-aggressive mania in a single update.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Personally I think the pace of the game has been fast enough to keep ahead of the dreaded morale drop off...with the German timer started there's only going to be 2-3 more turns before the game ends, and there's still the prospect for the late game excitement when the French try their midnight attack on the German lines. As a participant in the last game it became quite a slog in the latter half which compounded the effects on morale from earlier setbacks.

It helps that this game has stayed a lot more dynamic than most goon vs goon matchups...usually one side or the other pulls ahead early whereas this has been a close fought battle throughout.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
22 turns actually. Theoretically it might be possible for the French to break through with that much time, but a nighttime battle is going to be a horrific clusterfuck, especially with the emplaced German defences. Unless at this point it no longer matters if St.C falls.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

22 turns actually. Theoretically it might be possible for the French to break through with that much time, but a nighttime battle is going to be a horrific clusterfuck, especially with the emplaced German defences. Unless at this point it no longer matters if St.C falls.

Meant 2-3 rounds aka opportunities for new orders. Definitely prefer Trin's method of running a bunch of turns per round to keep the ball rolling and lower the amount of micro by the players.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Trin Tragula posted:

Comedy option is right, dude :laugh:

doesn't mydad have standing orders to pursue? he certainly seems to think that he has

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
His brigade can only pursue men they can see, and it's all getting very dark.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

The comedy option is hoping they don't leave a garrison in Q and I can just walk back in when everybody goes to pound on Croissant.

Crazycryodude posted:

Mon Pere himself is riding front and center at the head of a fresh cavalry brigade - if that's not a dead giveaway that he's a glory hound who'll be riding straight at Croissant in a concentrated charge within the next 12 turns, I no longer have any right to be smug about predicting everything before this.

It's getting increasingly harder for me to believe Crazycryodude isn't reading the other threads. Has has predicted basically everything that would happen, and not a single one of his predictions was wrong. Considering the amount of "guesses" he makes, the 100% success rate seems quite suspicious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

markus_cz posted:

It's getting increasingly harder for me to believe Crazycryodude isn't reading the other threads. Has has predicted basically everything that would happen, and not a single one of his predictions was wrong. Considering the amount of "guesses" he makes, the 100% success rate seems quite suspicious.

But if you were cheating surely you'd try harder to make it less obvious? Unless that is his plan, and he is double bluffing us. :tinfoil:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Sooo, the French plan is to try and do a night attack into the town that is thier main objective and the German trenches where the Germans are setting up thier artillery and MG's to get a nice crossfire?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Splode posted:

But if you were cheating surely you'd try harder to make it less obvious? Unless that is his plan, and he is double bluffing us. :tinfoil:

He has literally nothing to gain by cheating though. No money's on the line, this isn't an actual war, and at most he gets some bragging rights for beating people in fake WW1. I'm playing with him in a different LP and he doesn't seem like the cheating type.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

markus_cz posted:

To be fair, how hard is it to consider the worst possible option? I just think that he is considering the worst case scenario and assuming that it will happen, while the rest of the Germans still remain rosey eyed. Isn't charging that calvary brigade directly into the melee during the night the best option for taking St. C from the Germans?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
crazycryodude is just a veteran grognard and a fairly clever guy who's able to put him self in Trin's role and ask himself what he would do if he were running the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Not to mention that, even if Cassandra is actually cheating (if he is, which I don't believe for a moment, he's also an exceptional liar and rationaliser), cheating's no good at all if nobody else actually listens to the intelligence you've gained... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Locked thread