Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This season will probably cover more chapters than the last, more action means a higher panels per second ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/836813026883997700

According to listings, season 2 will be a 2-cour offering of 24 episodes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
my god

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hogama posted:

Oh, that definitely clears things up, if true. They can get through the Stain arc and go all the way to the Skills Test versus the teachers without rushing in two cours.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheKingofSprings posted:

No chapter this week.

Apparently the absence is unannounced which is unusual, there's speculation it's either due to work on the anime or just simple overwork as Horikoshi doesn't take many absences from drawing this.

last chapter was looking really rough around the edges in a lot of spots so i wouldn't be surprised if it's simple overwork. Hope he gets a chance to relax.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 1, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Monathin posted:

last chapter was looking really rough around the edges in a lot of spots so i wouldn't be surprised if it's simple overwork. Hope he gets a chance to relax.

Yeah the last chapter looked like it was still in the draft stages so I also wouldn't be surprised if it was overwork. I hope he's able to take a break rather than kill himself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hogama posted:

This gave me chills. That good kind.

Radish posted:

Yeah the last chapter looked like it was still in the draft stages so I also wouldn't be surprised if it was overwork. I hope he's able to take a break rather than kill himself.
Also this. Maybe black Clover will do the same. Just ... take a week and build up a buffer, guys.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also this. Maybe black Clover will do the same. Just ... take a week and build up a buffer, guys.

How is Black Clover? Is it basically the new Naruto? Is there an anime in the works?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Black Clover is good.

The most recent arc sorta started off on a not-so-great note because it suddenly incorporated characters from a side light novel, but it's really picked up and is in a really good place.

The previous arc was superb.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Reinanigans posted:

How is Black Clover? Is it basically the new Naruto? Is there an anime in the works?

I really recommend it. There is an anime in the works, but I wouldn't call it "the new naruto". I recently re-read it over winter break, and it holds up as a very good shounen fighter manga.

It does a good job of world-building, to the point where you see side characters and think, "there could be a whole separate manga following them and it'd be great - they look like heroes from another manga!"

The protag solves problems in a very "teamwork" shounen way, but it's pretty refreshing to see how simply the protag thinks and just powers through problems.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Frankly if I was his editor and he submitted that last chapter I would have told him to take a vacation and come back rested then resubmit it in a few weeks. I know the manga industry in Japan is stupid but it seems like a bad deal to just encourage these guys to live these destructive lifestyles.

*insert image of Oda's tobacco residue covered desk*

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

On the other hand, who the gently caress knows where World Trigger is at these days.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Radish posted:

Frankly if I was his editor and he submitted that last chapter I would have told him to take a vacation and come back rested then resubmit it in a few weeks. I know the manga industry in Japan is stupid but it seems like a bad deal to just encourage these guys to live these destructive lifestyles.

You clearly don't understand japanese manga. I think their editors would be more likely to hand him an extra large bottle of trucker pep pills then start whipping him until he works harder.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Radish posted:

Authors can take elective breaks in WSJ, it's just not encouraged because of the nature of the beast. In this case though, Hori has gone a full 128 chapters without one. Dude should take two weeks to a month, not one week.

Also, given the amount of work he seems to be putting into the anime I'd guess there might be filler in them there hills.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
it's over. everything is over. this is the end. woe. woe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vengarr posted:

Authors can take elective breaks in WSJ, it's just not encouraged because of the nature of the beast. In this case though, Hori has gone a full 128 chapters without one. Dude should take two weeks to a month, not one week.

Also, given the amount of work he seems to be putting into the anime I'd guess there might be filler in them there hills.

Shonen Jump should have their series only do 2-3 chapters a month and just stagger the off weeks of the series so they still release a weekly magazine. Maybe give the mangas an extra couple pages if they want it.

But that's dumb long term thinking where you don't destroy your artists within a couple years.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Slime posted:

You clearly don't understand japanese manga. I think their editors would be more likely to hand him an extra large bottle of trucker pep pills then start whipping him until he works harder.

Oh yeah I get it, it's just a stupid way to run things.

Gyges posted:

Shonen Jump should have their series only do 2-3 chapters a month and just stagger the off weeks of the series so they still release a weekly magazine. Maybe give the mangas an extra couple pages if they want it.

But that's dumb long term thinking where you don't destroy your artists within a couple years.

This seems like a much better method if they actually cared about not churning out creators (I know they don't).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gyges posted:

I feel the same way. You could even fit extra series into the main magazine that way and rotate them in and out.

Only problems are A. people wouldn't know what series they are getting when they pick up a copy and B. a lot of people only read WSJ for one series.

I'd love to know how bad of a hit they take to sales on weeks without One Piece. I bet it's significant.

The other solution would be to transition to more of a digital model. They print on paper so lovely that you wouldn't use it to wrap a sandwich.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 1, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Japanese work ethic stuff. Oda is royalty and he only started taking regularly scheduled breaks in the last 3-5 years I think.

Die for your manga, artists! :black101:

Also god I hope that 2-cour thing is really true.

As for Black Clover it's earnest as hell if not insanely generic and paint by numbers. The protagonist is less interesting than the rest of the cast but irrepressible in an endearing way somehow.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 1, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

2-cour anime would be able to cover Sports Festival, Stain, and the End of Term Tests, which is a pretty good stopping point. If the Day of Rest gets its own mini-ep we might see minor filler bits but the pacing is pretty solid for a two-cour.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gyges posted:

I wish.

I think Boruto is a much better series than...oh, let's say the back 3/4ths of all of Naruto, by virtue of being a monthly release. I mean, loving do *that*.

bondster
May 6, 2007

https://www.funimation.com/blog/201...tm_nooverride=1

First six episodes will be SimulDubbed on the same day as they release in Japan

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bondster posted:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/201...tm_nooverride=1

First six episodes will be SimulDubbed on the same day as they release in Japan

Good, All Might's English voice is the best thing in the show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow, hope this is true--the tests would be a great spot to end the new season since it has them introducing Stain and then having both the first step to trying to address Stain and it's a good show of how far the characters have come since the start. Deku starts the season still breaking his limbs, after all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wish.

I think Boruto is a much better series than...oh, let's say the back 3/4ths of all of Naruto, by virtue of being a monthly release. I mean, loving do *that*.

Boruto just finished adapting the movie, and the parts not from the movie aren't very promising. Apparently everything the protagonists worked for in Naruto is going to be destroyed. Unless it's a fake-out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr. Fowl posted:

Wow, hope this is true--the tests would be a great spot to end the new season since it has them introducing Stain and then having both the first step to trying to address Stain and it's a good show of how far the characters have come since the start. Deku starts the season still breaking his limbs, after all.
I dunno, unless you end on the slice of life stuff in the dorms that makes S3 really loving bleak.

Lodge Attack with Midoriya getting hosed up and Bakugou getting kidnapped, All Might vs All For One, then just ending on that note. Kind of a downer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Silver2195 posted:

Boruto just finished adapting the movie, and the parts not from the movie aren't very promising. Apparently everything the protagonists worked for in Naruto is going to be destroyed. Unless it's a fake-out.

Oh, that was a movie? Never mind then, I take everything good I said about it back pending further results.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

Japanese work ethic stuff. Oda is royalty and he only started taking regularly scheduled breaks in the last 3-5 years I think.

Die for your manga, artists! :black101:

Also god I hope that 2-cour thing is really true.

As for Black Clover it's earnest as hell if not insanely generic and paint by numbers. The protagonist is less interesting than the rest of the cast but irrepressible in an endearing way somehow.

Encourage them to work hard and murder themselves when they're young, so when they're old they have to take mandatory hiatuses every few chapters because they're literally falling apart and their life's work will never finish!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nuebot posted:

Encourage them to work hard and murder themselves when they're young, so when they're old they have to take mandatory hiatuses every few chapters because they're literally falling apart and their life's work will never finish!
I just want you all to know, that HxH is never going to be finished.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Fabricated posted:

Not ever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Never. :negative:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nuebot posted:

And to think, manga artists want to emulate Tezuka :smith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Begemot posted:

And to think, manga artists want to emulate Tezuka :smith:

His last words were "I am begging you, let me work" if I recall.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's rather hilarious when you remember that the modern shonen genre is almost entirely based on the manga made by possibly one of the laziest authors ever.

Everyone adapted Akira Toriyama's ideas, no one adapted his workstyle of "be lazy as much as possible, finish this week's chapter in two days or so, and only under pressure and/or lies by my editor".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's rather hilarious when you remember that the modern shonen genre is almost entirely based on the manga made by possibly one of the laziest authors ever.

Everyone adapted Akira Toriyama's ideas, no one adapted his workstyle of "be lazy as much as possible, finish this week's chapter in two days or so, and only under pressure and/or lies by my editor".

the thing is toriyama was also a genius

like say what you will about dbz's overall plotting (hint: there wasn't any) the fact that he managed to keep it consistently well-drawn and interesting while barely even trying for like 70% of its run is nothing short of superhuman.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Toriyama is an absolutely amazing and underrated artist. It's just the big thing is that he has a lot more in common with a classic cartoonist than a modern manga artist, and I have a suspicion that really affected his workload. He used a lot of relatively simple but highly stylized characters and backgrounds that were easy to draw, then combined it with expert panel layouts and flow of action. A lot of manga artists tend to fail at one or both of these, either winding up with characters that are hard to make distinct or hard to draw quickly from week to week, or wind up with cluttered layouts and confusing action. Toriyama even managed to make relatively memorable characters even when they only showed up briefly.

There's a lot of really good people working on manga right now - Horikoshi is an amazing writer and artist, ONE is astounding at panel layouts and writing, Murata does absurd levels detail quickly, etc - but Toriyama's one of the few people who managed to do all those at once.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Toriyama cut his teeth making Dr. Slump, a completely ridiculous gag manga, and never changed his habits. This is both his greatest strength (good paneling, simple character design) and his greatest weakness (continuity and logic are not big priorities).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

it ended when gon and gin had their talk on top of that tree imo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Asimo posted:

Toriyama is an absolutely amazing and underrated artist. It's just the big thing is that he has a lot more in common with a classic cartoonist than a modern manga artist, and I have a suspicion that really affected his workload. He used a lot of relatively simple but highly stylized characters and backgrounds that were easy to draw, then combined it with expert panel layouts and flow of action. A lot of manga artists tend to fail at one or both of these, either winding up with characters that are hard to make distinct or hard to draw quickly from week to week, or wind up with cluttered layouts and confusing action. Toriyama even managed to make relatively memorable characters even when they only showed up briefly.

There's a lot of really good people working on manga right now - Horikoshi is an amazing writer and artist, ONE is astounding at panel layouts and writing, Murata does absurd levels detail quickly, etc - but Toriyama's one of the few people who managed to do all those at once.

Toriyama's actual writing is not that great. When you read the volumes of early Dragon Ball, it's really obvious that he's making stuff up as he goes along. Then there's Namek, which is a slog (not as much of a slog as the anime version, but still a slog).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MonsterEnvy posted:

His last words were "I am begging you, let me work" if I recall.

To be fair, he was dying of stomach cancer and said that to a nurse trying to gank his art supplies.

That's the kind of thing you'd like a distraction from.