Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lets hang out posted:

I'm in route c but this is just gameplay related did I miss the third pod somewhere? I've had vulcan and missile forever and I chase down every sidequest marker that shows up but I still haven't found the third. Maybe I need to fish it up somewhere?

You certainly do fish it up. Flooded city, near the waterfall at close to the missile objective there. IIRC, it comes with a cool program too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Out of curiosity, why is Nier: Automata coming out like two weeks later in North America than it does in Japan when it seems like the Japanese version has full English audio and text already?

Not really complaining, because I needed the time to finish up Nioh and also to play some Horizon: Zero Dawn, but still. I'm sure there's some business reason I just don't know about.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
The best guess I have is to prevent importing the American version, since it's cheaper than the JP version by about $20. The existence of the HK version throws that outta whack, but whatever.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Harrow posted:

Man, you watch a few Nier videos and all of a sudden your recommendations are all full of channels with videos where the title and thumbnail outright spoil the name of the final boss

These YouTube gaming channels are getting ruder and ruder, I swear.

Between seeing the name of the second boss and googling for instructions right afterwards on how to clear watch history in order to nuke the recommendations, the recommendations had already updated to spoil the fourth boss as well.

But at least I saved something for myself. :unsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Out of curiosity, why is Nier: Automata coming out like two weeks later in North America than it does in Japan when it seems like the Japanese version has full English audio and text already?

Not really complaining, because I needed the time to finish up Nioh and also to play some Horizon: Zero Dawn, but still. I'm sure there's some business reason I just don't know about.

There's been no reason given but I'm sure there's some bizarre decision behind it that only makes sense to corporate S-E.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah but why release it three days after Zelda? That strikes me as about the worst possible window to release it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Probably locked in by the time Switch was announced and too late to change it up. Taro definitely spoke with some surprise about it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Harrow posted:

It kinda reminds me of Dark Souls 3 that in Japan had a different publisher that wanted to push it into a certain fiscal quarter because Quarterly Numbers. Which doesn't make for a particularly compelling conspiracy theory and this might not be the same case (their fiscal year runs until the end of march), but it's probably some similarly boring and mundane bureaucratic reason that doesn't look exciting on a PR statement so it'll never be on one. Maybe SQE mostly care about JP numbers and pulled the local release before the switch/Zelda drop?

Who knows, maybe someone is actually spending the time well for QA on the PC port (that they oddly never ever talk about). Hopefully we'll know soon enough.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds good.
Now I just pray even harder for the PC port to be good.

You and me both. Can't wait to give it a spin. I hope they won't delay the game for like 6 months because of Denuvo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait to play Yoko Taro Presents: 2Butt's Bizarre Adventure.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

exser posted:

I finished A-E as well but, I didn't choose to help someone since I want to find a few more joke endings and finish up some other stuff. I assume the "helping" is just showing up during the credits bullet hell stuff when people get to the Square Enix part and it gets crazy.

I backed up my save after getting ending D, just in case, so it wasn't too bad. I also felt like I had to do it after how wonderful it was towards the end.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Anyone have a good spot for farming pearls?

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Reverence posted:

Anyone have a good spot for farming pearls?

No but if you get to play through 3, the vendor in the amusement park sells them for 1500ish

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Finished it. I don't know what people who are new to the series will think but I loved it. 95% sidequests, 97% weapons, 42 hours.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 1, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

lets hang out posted:

Finished it. I don't know what people who are new to the series will think but I loved it. 95% sidequests, 97% weapons, 42 hours.

I'm new to the series and I think it's freaking fantastic.

Just finished route C tonight. Had to put down the game, I couldn't emotionally take one more ending.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is the feel bad game of the year.
Also I hate 9S. Even though logically I get where he's coming from.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't even know how to tag this. npcs? Doesn't seem like anyone has figured out what to do with the apologetic machines and their locked doors. Of course they could just do nothing, ever :yum:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Consider 100%ing things I think? Seeing how previous games rewarded that and you're so close anyway.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I was anticipating a lot from this game, and it's now exceeding persona 5 as my GOTY (or last year) now that I'm 15 hours into this game.

I would strongly recommend that everybody play this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Finished all of the real endings up.
Huge spoilers for everything so don't read if you have't finished up the game's endings:

What a ride. Only a Taro game would market an extremely attractive character design, make people fall in love with her, have her be central to marketing and then straight up kill her off at just over half way through. I legit thought 2B would come back alive at some point and be remade from A2's data storage, but nope.

Of course, then there's ending E which is just "gently caress "YoRHa"(Read: the developers), I want a good ending" ...which when all is said and done, isn't that good of an ending. Everything is still completely utterly hosed, it's just that my Robuddys A2 and 2B are alive again, also 9S who I also like but not as much.

I still got some side-quests to do and some other stuff, but then I might just fire it up for another go around. Best game in many years right here. Puts S-E's flagship FFXV to shame

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yep, just cleaned up the last of the story endings. What a crazy ride.

Fighting the end credits was hilarious. Then it got hard. ;_;

I did not sacrifice my saves this time around. I was too paranoid and I still have side quests I want to do!

I'm glad there was a sort of happy ending. I mean everyone I cared about is still dead besides the main 3, and maybe Anemone. I guess I left a memory wiped Pascal too. Man, a lot of people died this game. Yoko Taro I guess.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm lost after Flooded City How do I use the Black Box radar? I'm looking for 9S but I don't see anything under items

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alder posted:

I'm lost after Flooded City How do I use the Black Box radar? I'm looking for 9S but I don't see anything under items

You equip it as a pod program and use L1 to keep it running while you run.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For people who've finished the game all the way: Did you read the translation of the stage play? If you didn't, what was your feeling on A2? I think they give a decent amount of the backstory in game if you do Anemone's memories sidequest and then talk to her as A2 and read the terminals, but I'm still wondering how people are going to take her.

Speaking of important sidequests, if you don't do the red hood sidequest does the type-E thing at the very end just come completely out of left field? I think the only other mention of it is in A2's intel, which is also optional lol

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You equip it as a pod program and use L1 to keep it running while you run.

And then if you are like me you do this forevermore. Wish it was toggle.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I have the Kami ni nare/become as gods chant song stuck in my head today. It's way more catchy in Japanese than English.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ntan1 posted:

I have the Kami ni nare/become as gods chant song stuck in my head today. It's way more catchy in Japanese than English.

It goes without saying that the music is great (Wretched Weaponry is basically stuck on loop in my mind :allears:), but the machine voice chanting really adds a nice contrast to some of the songs.

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE. THIS CANNOT CONTINUE.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 2, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

End game spoilers, though not story related:

I really wish, and hope they eventually patch in, a way to scale your level down when using the chapter select. While I love running through old parts of the game, doing it at level 62 when the enemies around are 20ish isn't as interesting.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

lets hang out posted:

i don't even know how to tag this. npcs? Doesn't seem like anyone has figured out what to do with the apologetic machines and their locked doors. Of course they could just do nothing, ever :yum:

I think it suggests "we couldn't get this done, we're sorry!" With the potential of dlc down the line? But maybe we just don't know the trigger yet.

Also I just finished the game, all main endings. That was some crazy poo poo. Still wondering about 2E's actual assignment and how feasible/useful it was. If I get it correctly, the purpose was to kill 9s to... what, reset him? Keep him from learning too much because he was so advanced he would end up always figuring it out? Is the suggestion that 9s and 2B/E go back way longer than we're shown and 9s just can't remember? Maybe I just missed archive items.

And I figured I would throw my save, as absurd as it may sound because god drat I could not clear that last part of the bullet hell. I used help so I may as well return help back into the world for others. This also means someone actually cleared that thing once, by him/herself. I mean someone out there must have been the first right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this unit data sidequest is killing me

Mindblast posted:

Also I just finished the game, all main endings. That was some crazy poo poo. Still wondering about 2E's actual assignment and how feasible/useful it was. If I get it correctly, the purpose was to kill 9s to... what, reset him? Keep him from learning too much because he was so advanced he would end up always figuring it out? Is the suggestion that 9s and 2B/E go back way longer than we're shown and 9s just can't remember? Maybe I just missed archive items.

Yeah, it's been happening since before the game started. If you think back there were actually a lot of little signs of it. The first time you're in the bunker one of the operators mentions how often she sees 2B and 9S together and how close they supposedly are, but at the time as far as you know it's just like, the third time they've ever met? 2B's super strong reaction to 9S getting hurt (it's not like she freaks out about her squad getting pasted on the way in, or really anyone but 9S at any point ever), and then her clenched fist moment after finding out he lost his memory of it. At the end of A and B route when she's sobbing about how it's always like this. Her going all BEEP BOOP EMOTIONS ARE PROHIBITED every time 9S shows even the slightest affection for her. Maybe even her first lines when you start a new game? There are probably a lot more.

Also there are a few side missions that are pretty explicitly type-E poo poo, like apparently normal units aren't regularly given confidential missions to hunt down traitors. They're ordered to attack A2 immediately and A2's intel talks about her being hunted by type-Es, etc.

e: route c turns out A2's red dash does damage while in berserk mode

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Holy poo poo, the start of route C is not loving around :stare:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Should I do all the side quests in Route B or wait for Route C? I skipped them all in Route A but sure if it's worth the effort if I need to replay it a min 4x.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm sure the gameplay is fantastic but can anyone comment on the story's quality? NieR is one of my all time favorite JRPG stories and I adored the music and I have no idea if I should be holding out hope that this one's just as good.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm sure the gameplay is fantastic but can anyone comment on the story's quality? NieR is one of my all time favorite JRPG stories and I adored the music and I have no idea if I should be holding out hope that this one's just as good.

I just fully finished it (aside from side quest stuff) and I found it real loving good.

Alder posted:

Should I do all the side quests in Route B or wait for Route C? I skipped them all in Route A but sure if it's worth the effort if I need to replay it a min 4x.

Do as much as you want. You unlock the ability to jump around the story after route c.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

arisu posted:

End game spoilers, though not story related:

I really wish, and hope they eventually patch in, a way to scale your level down when using the chapter select. While I love running through old parts of the game, doing it at level 62 when the enemies around are 20ish isn't as interesting.

Yeah, this is maybe my biggest criticism. This and the fact you seemingly can't get a no EXP gain chip because your natural attack growth seems to be enough to make things die easy regardless of weapon level/chips once you reach a high level.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 2, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's really good and there's a lot of depth in there once you have all the clues and come back to think and reflect on it. It'll be worth replaying from the start again once you know things to get greater context of them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Help me, I can't stop listening to the Opera Singer boss music.

I don't even own a PS4, I'm stuck waiting for PC release

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The final end credits made me feel a little emotional, and there was no cutscene playing during it. Make of that as you will.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

The final end credits made me feel a little emotional, and there was no cutscene playing during it. Make of that as you will.

Weight of the World - End of YoRHa is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yeah, this is maybe my biggest criticism. This and the fact you seemingly can't get a no EXP gain chip because your natural attack growth seems to be enough to make things die easy regardless of weapon level/chips once you reach a high level.

End game at that point I was roiding out on shock chips, +damage, -30% melee, 20% speed boost, life regen, some QoL stuff,maxed out demon fist weapons and three pods blazing the best specials. I can't say the game was difficult at that point, and while there are higher difficulties those are a major step up(to the point where other games would have additional difficulty notched in between normal and hard).