Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Banzuke is out. As expected, Kotoshogiku's demotion along with the basically mandatory promotion of Takayasu has create 3 Sekiwake slots. Still kinda odd to see only 2 Ozeki, even though we knew this was going to happen.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2017-spring-basho/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

The Banzuke is out. As expected, Kotoshogiku's demotion along with the basically mandatory promotion of Takayasu has create 3 Sekiwake slots. Still kinda odd to see only 2 Ozeki, even though we knew this was going to happen.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2017-spring-basho/

Putting the banzuke in-line:

code:
Makuuchi
   Higashi      Rank        Nishi
   Hakuho       Yokozuna    Kakuryu
   Harumafuji   Yokozuna NU Kisenosato
   Goeido       Ozeki       Terunofuji
   Tamawashi    Sekiwake AU Takayasu
DN Kotoshogiku  Sekiwake
AU Mitakeumi    Komusumi    Shodai
   Takekaze     M.1         Ikioi
   Sokokurai    M.2         Takanoiwa
   Shohozan     M.3         Takarafuji
   Yoshikaze    M.4         Arawashi
  Endo          M.5         Hokutofuji
   Chiyonokuni  M.6         Aoiyama
   Ichinojo     M.7         Chiyoshoma
   Kaisei       M.8         Okinoumi
   Kagayaki     M.9         Kotoyuki
   Tochinoshin  M.10        Tochiozan
AU Daieisho     M.11        Ishiura
   Sadanoumi    M.12     NU Ura
   Takakeisho   M.13        Daishomaru
   Myogiryu     M.14     AU Kyokushuho
   Chiyoo       M.15     AU Tokushoryu
   Nishikigi    M.16
Mita-kun and Shodai in komusubi is going to turn this basho on its head in the first 5 days, and wow, that's got to be the saddest shape I've seen the Ozeki rank in since I've been watching sumo. And, Ura at M-12!! Given that Ichinojo is at M7, odds are we'll see an Ura/Ichinojo matchup, as well as what should be an explosive Ura/Ishiura matchup.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The middle of the pack is stacked with some dudes that have floated around the m1 and higher positions in the past. There's some real parity below ozeki and then just a huge gap above that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Historically from looking through the sumo DB, when you are at 4 Yokozuna, something's gotta give and someone would likely be forced to retire soon.

In this case though, they seem to be so much better than the rest of the Sanyaku and generally healthy (I think?), they may all 4 make it through 2017.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Historically from looking through the sumo DB, when you are at 4 Yokozuna, something's gotta give and someone would likely be forced to retire soon.

In this case though, they seem to be so much better than the rest of the Sanyaku and generally healthy (I think?), they may all 4 make it through 2017.

Not a chance. I love Harumafuji, but he's been injured a lot lately. Another injury or two and he'll be asked to step down, I'm sure.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fryhtaning posted:

Mita-kun and Shodai in komusubi is going to turn this basho on its head in the first 5 days, and wow, that's got to be the saddest shape I've seen the Ozeki rank in since I've been watching sumo. And, Ura at M-12!! Given that Ichinojo is at M7, odds are we'll see an Ura/Ichinojo matchup, as well as what should be an explosive Ura/Ishiura matchup.
Don't worry, Mita-kun will be ozeki soon enough.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't worry, Mita-kun will be ozeki soon enough.

Just has to repeat 11-4 two more times against an undoubtedly healthier field. Tough, but would not shock me at all if he pulls it off.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Obligatory picture of the new Yokozuna holding up the banzuke.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Obligatory picture of the new Yokozuna holding up the banzuke.

Looks like he's pointing somewhere around the M1 ranking. Freudian slip?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Ura is putting on weight for his makuuchi debut. His goal weight is 140kg and is at 134kg now (end of Feb), gaining 6kg since weigh-in.
This puts him much closer to weight average of makuuchi, and moves him into third-lightest spot, ahead of Ishiura (115kg) and Chiyoshoma (132kg)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
To add to the 'time is ticking for the old guard' theme, the number of recruits for next basho is 56, which is the biggest in some while. A lot of them look good and should reach sekitori very quickly.
Check here to see some of them profiled http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/36036-new-recruits-for-haru-2017/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kaisei (East M8) hurt his knee and is kyujo for the first time in his career. This will break his 739 match streak.

Everyone else on the banzuke is scheduled for days 1 and 2.

edit: ACL tear and meniscus injury, so he'll probably miss the next tournament as well. He's going to fall very far if he misses two tournaments, but if his injury is that bad, it makes no sense to wrestle. He can come back in July or September and start his climb back up to the top division.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 11, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
He's been pretty drat out of it for the past few tournaments anyhow, hopefully he has a good recovery and gets back into the shape that got him up to sekiwake.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea he has looked like garbage for a hot minute so a break should do him a solid

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not especially a fan of Kaisei but I hate to see any athlete not live up to their potential due to struggling through injury. Get well Kais-A.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Here we go. :) Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5UfnBNQmQ

Ura, Giku and Shoudai looked great. Could be an interesting basho...

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 12, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

wow, on day 1 only one of the 4 yokozuna looked good

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpHD-1zZUs

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ishiura v Tochinoshin, wow.. Death by relentless pestering. Overall pretty one-sided fights today, but such as it is for the early days of your typical basho.
Surprisingly, Giku and Terunofuji both look really healthy so far. Dropping from Ozeki to Sekiwake is almost always a prelude to retirement, but Giku still looks hungry (lol).

It's amazing how much Kisenosato has matured as a wrestler. It wasn't long ago that he was getting mentally beaten by Hakuho before the tachi-ai or giving out a couple of cheap wins. His last year has been pure Yok quality and he deserved his promotion 100%.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Geek can get 4 wins out of his next 5 matches, then I might start to believe. he needs to build a very strong cushion for week 2.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'd really love to see Kisenosato win again. I've only seen the last couple of tournaments, but I just like how he fights and I'm a sucker for local boy makes good stories. Even if local means Japan in this case.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
He's from Ibaraki so it's uh, sort of local I guess.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kintamayama posted:

Hakuhou, allowing 37 year old Takekaze get a morozashi (double inside hold) but winning by yorikiri in the end: "At some point I thought of throwing him, but I felt sorry for him.. Because he's 37.."

Daaaaaaaaaaamn

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
How old is Hakuhou?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
A spry 32

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
How much longer do the elders give Harumafuji at this point?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Not exactly a dominant win, and his opponent wasn't exactly 100%, but I won't begrudge Soukokurai a kinboshi after the poo poo they put him through. Good work!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRmtIq4RB2M

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Another crazy day at the top.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

He's obviously only at about the 0.01% mark as far as greatness, but that was the most Chiyonofuji I've seen Ishiura look to date. Another basho or two of bulking up and he could become an upper maegashira mainstay or better.

I totally expected that decision to be reversed in Hakuho v Ikioi, especially given that Okinoumi v Chiyonokuni had just been similarly reversed.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Okay, something is wrong with Hakuho. I have never seen him dominated like that, especially by the likes of Ikioi.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I am loving this basho so far, it's awesome when things are crazy. But I also have to say that Kisenosato has been cool as a cucumber in all his matches, and that's great to watch.
IKI-OI IKI-OI IKI-OI

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Konstantin posted:

Okay, something is wrong with Hakuho. I have never seen him dominated like that, especially by the likes of Ikioi.

He was out-muscled at the start and he's obviously having trouble with his toe, cos he has trouble getting traction, but I think he was hard done by with that decision. He managed to throw Ikioi as he was getting oshidashi'd. Should've been a torinaoshi, but YMMV.

Takayasu is looking good - the extra weight is working for him.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hakuho has an injury.

So, the dohyo. This is dried clay with a light sprinkle of sand on it. It is incredibly rough. Imagine a concrete walkway next to the beach that has had some sand blown over it. Over time a wrestlers bottom of foot becomes a huge callous. They actually intentionally build this up when they are new to the sport. A lot of times new guys will get bad infections because of so many wounds on the bottom of the foot.

Right before this basho, during training, Hakuho's callous tore completely off. Like not just the surface, but the whole thing. Of course this isn't as bad as an ACL tear or something, but it happened at really the worst time - no time to heal and build up another.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Its late enough to talk about it now. Seems like Hakuho lost because of the rare, so-called "dead body" rule. If you had no real offense at the end and are thrown or pushed out to the point where you are flying and completely helpless, then you lose even if the thrower's arm (which he used to toss your helpless dead body out) touches shortly before you do. Its different if the thrower or pusher steps out first though, if a foot, toe, or heel touches first, thats just a lack of control and the thrower/pusher loses.

I still assumed that Hakuho would get the yokozuna privilege and at least get a re-do.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 16, 2017

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JSH7kWyqIo

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Kaisei will be back with a torn acl?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Wow, Hakuho is already out. Kisenosato already looks to be the favorite after just 5 days, with Terunofuji all of a sudden looking like he could be starting a tsuna run again.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fryhtaning posted:

Wow, Hakuho is already out. Kisenosato already looks to be the favorite after just 5 days, with Terunofuji all of a sudden looking like he could be starting a tsuna run again.

I think we're seeing the beginning of the end.

who'd have predicted a year ago that Kakuryu might possibly outlast Hakuho and Haramafuji? Its premature to call the end of anyone's career now, and Hakuho might stubbornly hang on to break a couple more records, but its looking like Kak will just keep on turning in his usual often-overlooked competent acceptable performances while the other 2 old yokozuna's bodies break down around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There's not much wiggle room for 4 yokozuna to get a good record, even if they were all healthy.