Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

Am I supposed to care about the IMAX Inhumans thing? I really don't. The royal family drama does not seem exciting at all. Especially if they aren't going to tie it into the existing AOS Inhuman lore.

I'm cautiously optimistic but the dud that was the back half of Luke Cage has really made me less eager about Marvel Television stuff going forward. Of course Legion is really loving good, but I don't think Inhumans is going to be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic but the dud that was the back half of Luke Cage has really made me less eager about Marvel Television stuff going forward. Of course Legion is really loving good, but I don't think Inhumans is going to be like that.

Can you stream Legion from Hulu or Netflix or Prime or can you only pay Fx for it directly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HE IS NEITHER BLACK NOR A BOLT I AM SICK OF AL THIS BOLT WASHING

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aleph Null posted:

Can you stream Legion from Hulu or Netflix or Prime or can you only pay Fx for it directly?

If it's like other FX shows it will eventually be on Prime, and you can always buy the current season on iTunes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

howe_sam posted:

If it's like other FX shows it will eventually be on Prime, and you can always buy the current season on iTunes.

FX has a really good app if you want to use your grandmas login info or whatever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The main division between Marvel Movies and Marvel TV is Ike Perlmutter. He's an unmitgated rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kheldarn posted:

The main division between Marvel Movies and Marvel TV is Ike Perlmutter. He's an unmitgated rear end.

His grasp is weakening and he won't live forever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

It's on Hulu. That's how I've been watching it.

I imagine that will be its post broadcast home, since Hulu has a deal with Fox. I know both the 1st and current season of Lucifer are on Hulu.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

His grasp is weakening and he won't live forever.

Surprised he isn't running the FCC or some other branch of government. He'd be the least evil member at least.

From what I got from Doctor Strange is tapping into the Dark Dimension isn't bad on its own, it's what you do with it. Mads and his Posse were less corrupted by it but more evil and greedy, wanting to live forever by striking a bargin with Domaramu for more power that would turn them into Mindless Ones, though they weren't aware of that part. Spoilered in case anyone hasn't watched Doctor Strange yet.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I guess what I got from it was that the Ancient One, even though she was using the power of Dormammu for "good", was still corrupted by it and therefore not capable of defeating evil, having to pass that burden on to Strange. Perhaps I'm confusing the lesson that Strange learned, and the one that Mordo learned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Klungar posted:

I guess what I got from it was that the Ancient One, even though she was using the power of Dormammu for "good", was still corrupted by it and therefore not capable of defeating evil, having to pass that burden on to Strange. Perhaps I'm confusing the lesson that Strange learned, and the one that Mordo learned.

I think it was more she felt that she was using the power for good and that excused her from telling everyone else not to do it because its bad. Magic is presented in the movie as a tool more than anything, it is what you use it for that gets you in trouble.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I understood it as there's no such thing as evil magic or evil knowledge just evil things. Especially with Wong's comment in that first library scene. We saw Strange just pick up the book with the summon cthun spell or whatever and open it and read from it and Wong didn't even care. Honestly I don't know why the bad guy didn't just … do the same. Why'd he have to make a big deal about it and kill people and steal the pages instead of studying it in safety in there? Who knows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I think it was more she felt that she was using the power for good and that excused her from telling everyone else not to do it because its bad. Magic is presented in the movie as a tool more than anything, it is what you use it for that gets you in trouble.

Except by tapping into Dormammu's dimension to enhance her life, the Ancient One was increasing the odds that Dormammu would take an interest in Earth and try to wreck our poo poo. The movie was very big on, "Magic has a cost" and that Strange would pay a price for dabbling so heavily in forbidden time magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Magic has a cost? Jesus Christ, was Marti Noxon an EP on the film?

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

people are gonna be mad about season six of buffy forever, huh.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

That was a big deal in Once Upon a Time, too.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AppropriateUser posted:

people are gonna be mad about season six of buffy forever, huh.

Honestly my second favorite season, for all its flaws

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Honestly my second favorite season, for all its flaws

When I watched it, I was 100% convinced the last few episodes were the result of Tara's actress quitting mid season and them having to come up with a new script in like three days.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rhyno posted:

It's not just Buffy, she has the habit of loving really tortured seasons where no one's happy. I saw it on Angel, Glee, Once Upon a Time, and Mad Men too. No idea if she spreads that throughout UnREAL.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pan Dulce posted:

No idea if she spreads that throughout UnREAL.

If there was one show i wouldn't want sent in to space, it would be UnReal. It's abject misery for colossal jerks mimicking real life.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Please leave everybody who hasn't seen smashed, wrecked, and gone to lead their lives as if those three turds don't exist.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

That was a big deal in Once Upon a Time, too.

Its a pretty regular part of magic stories and really is just a basic general tone of "be careful what you wish for" or "everything comes with a cost" or "with great power comes great responsibility" or "mo money mo problems" or whatever.

Humans have been telling stories of power having unintended consequences for as long as they've been telling stories.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

howe_sam posted:

The movie was very big on, "Magic has a cost" and that Strange would pay a price for dabbling so heavily in forbidden time magic.

I wish they'd followed up on that, though. Unless you count Mordo going rogue as a 'cost', Strange got away with it scott-free.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

edit: gently caress I got my threads completely mixed up and I shouldn't ever post

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 1, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I mean other than now being obligated to spend the remainder of his life fighting evil magic beings and never having the opportunity for a normal life ever gain, yeah.

Anyways,this whole recalcitrant goober thing that happens in this thread from time to time; I do the same thing with a lot of music. But I don't barge into a conversation and start telling people about how the Weeknd is just Michael Jackson saying gently caress a lot or whatever, because no one gives a gently caress and they want to listen to the man with the great voice sing about drugs and sex because that's what they like.

If that's directed at me, then I sincerely apologize for being a buzz-kill. I saw Doctor Strange three times in the theatres; I absolutely loved it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The whole comic book TV and movie fanbase is filled with this weird urge to defend your favorite show's flaws by tearing down all the other show's flaws and proving that you're one of the good ones. Its odd.

Its like that time I saw a doc that claimed comic book shops are all hidden because comic book readers don't want random people wandering in and judging them. The hyper defensiveness seems to have carried over to the TV and movie stuff, which is weird considering how broad the audience for these things is. We really need to just embrace that our silly childhood past time is now widely popular and still pretty silly.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

STAC Goat posted:

The whole comic book TV and movie fanbase is filled with this weird urge to defend your favorite show's flaws by tearing down all the other show's flaws and proving that you're one of the good ones. Its odd.

Its like that time I saw a doc that claimed comic book shops are all hidden because comic book readers don't want random people wandering in and judging them. The hyper defensiveness seems to have carried over to the TV and movie stuff, which is weird considering how broad the audience for these things is. We really need to just embrace that our silly childhood past time is now widely popular and still pretty silly.

Its not as if this is limited to comics. People do exactly this kind of stuff with their choice of smartphones, video game consoles, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True, but it seems hyper inflated in this fanbase/genre.

Of course that's probably just because of how circular and obsessive the comic fanbase gets.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Except here, where we mercilessly mock things (and then get mad if someone else makes fun of them).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's always funny when comic nerds forget that most people don't care about that stuff.

The RedLetterMedia guys get poo poo constantly for making GBS threads on DC movies and liking Marvel movies okay, and people come at 'em talking about bias, and those fellas barely understand that the companies are different and are rivals, so it just confuses them.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yakmouth posted:

If that's directed at me, then I sincerely apologize for being a buzz-kill. I saw Doctor Strange three times in the theatres; I absolutely loved it.

Nope; not aimed at you at all. I got my threads mixed up, and thought I was responding to the BSS comic book movie thread which was undergoing an impressive level of CD quality threadshitting. I'm a big idiot and should pay closer attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Comic Book Movie Thread just seems to be locked in an unending argument about whether Man of Steel is the greatest film ever and Batman vs Superman the worst or vice versa. Like, that's almost always the topic when I look at the thread. You'd think people would get tired of it.

I feel bad that a few months ago I contributed by posting my thoughts of those movies after finally seeing them. Now I realize that I fed the beast and feel very guilty.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Nope; not aimed at you at all. I got my threads mixed up, and thought I was responding to the BSS comic book movie thread which was undergoing an impressive level of CD quality threadshitting. I'm a big idiot and should pay closer attention.

Cool, no worries.
I've been reading that thread, too. I know what you're saying.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've been a shameful comic book movie fan since forever, but I thought Dr. Strange was boring as poo poo. It was one part Batman Begins, one part Iron Man with some shiny effects and glowy bits, and there wasn't one ounce of anything new in it at all. It's the first MCU/MCTV thing that I really didn't enjoy at all. At least Ant Man had a charismatic lead and some cameos and a funny joke about Baskin Robbins. The only thing I liked about Strange was that I loved Benedict Wong from Marco Polo, but he was wasted in this movie. I'm really not trying to get all hot take about this or anything, I just don't see the appeal at all. I guess the last 3 minutes of the movie were cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I enjoyed Doctor Strange but it kind of felt like they took the script for Iron Man, crossed out the word "science" every time it appeared and wrote "magic."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Have tried watching it... On Weeeeed?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I thought it was a very pretty film. Visually arresting, but absolutely nothing making it different or exciting. It was a very straightforward story. Kind of disappointing from Marvel. I liked how S.H.I.E.L.D. tied into it this season. Took all the foofy pretty bits quite well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor Strange is a cool movie, thought the Cloak of Levitation was kind of too much but whatever

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Rhyno posted:

I enjoyed Doctor Strange but it kind of felt like they took the script for Iron Man, crossed out the word "science" every time it appeared and wrote "magic."

^this

I was okay with it personally, but when people call it out I get where they're coming from. The problem is that Stark and Strange really do have similar origin stories, and the writers couldn't resist making Stephen Strange a smart alec. He should have been a lot more pompous and grumpy; the butt of the jokes, not the jokester.

That's what I think they were going for actually, but they missed the target.

All that being said, I like the Tony Stark character enough to put up with another iteration. Dr. Strange may be lacking in originality, but if it's a knock-off then at least it's a very high quality knock-off.

Pan Dulce posted:

I liked how S.H.I.E.L.D. tied into it this season. Took all the foofy pretty bits quite well.

I still hope the season ends with a more explicit tie-in. The Darkhold is too big business to trust to the government and I want to see Marvel's Men in Black get visited by the Men in Cloaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So I think this means Hunter is coming back

• Locked thread