Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Xguard86 posted:

I feel like you're not a very good sword fighter, even pretend, if yelling makes you drop the weapon.

Regardless of other skill.

Sadly, I'm the go to guy if The Walking Dead ever happens. Thank God I honed that skill.

Odddzy posted:

II know a bit about what's going on.

fightsports in Québec must be federated. professional MMA and judo are federated but amateur MMA and bjj tournaments aren't under a regional federation and the IBJJF isn't a federation so events were illegal in the province. The police knew the events were taking place but wouldn't do anything as they understood a bunch of assholes want a piece of the pie and become ''THE'' federation so they would tolerate the events taking place and not shut anything down.

Two promoters that did amateur MMA events and subonly BJJ stuff would always call the cops on the other and the police got fed up with their poo poo and just flat out decided to enforce the law. So it's not the cops' fault, just a bunch of assholes that want their garbage tier league to get the star treatment.

Knew it would be something stupid like that. How does Canada go about fixing this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sadly, I'm the go to guy if The Walking Dead ever happens.

You're a SOF sniper?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

You're a SOF sniper?

A very close friend actually is. I'm the, "ammo got blowned up help" guy.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

Sadly, I'm the go to guy if The Walking Dead ever happens. Thank God I honed that skill.

Knew it would be something stupid like that. How does Canada go about fixing this problem?

Not canada, it's just the city of montreal that's enforcing that regional law. The police in gatineau don't care for example and don't enforce it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio...entid=1.4002903

Interview with a tournament organizer on CBC.

Part 2, BJJ segment starts at 10 mins

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Odddzy posted:

Not canada, it's just the city of montreal that's enforcing that regional law. The police in gatineau don't care for example and don't enforce it.

Sorry, I have that ugly American habit of assuming everyone knows how my political world works but not knowing theirs. I didn't know how lock step the provinces are with each other.

I do know Toronto is fun and Quebec is its own pile of weird, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Sorry, I have that ugly American habit of assuming everyone knows how my political world works but not knowing theirs. I didn't know how lock step the provinces are with each other.

I do know Toronto is fun and Quebec is its own pile of weird, though.

Canada has some weirdness. Here's the short version re: fighting.

1 - Each province is its own jurisdiction and has its own regulatory laws for combat sport. Federal law though requires that any striking sport be overseen by some kind of independent regulatory body, mostly to prevent underground fights, and to make sure that basic rules, safety, and liability rules are being observed. This is generally a pretty low bar.

2 - Some provinces have commissions and some don't. Some have commissions for some things and not for others. In my province, pro MMA has a regulatory body, but amateur doesn't. Amateur kickboxing is overseen by the provincial Tai Kwon Do commission, which has no idea what it's doing, and so no amateur fights happen. Some of the regulatory bodies are assholes, eg, the ones in Ontario which charge regulatory fees so high that nobody but the UFC can afford to put on shows.

3 - Quebec has its own separate legal system, for both historical and for constitutional reasons. Now I don't mean different laws, I mean that it has an entirely different system, one based on French Civil Law instead of on British Common Law. This means that certain federal laws become rats nests of re-interpretation when they go into Quebec.

Here what seems to have happened is some of these problems with the basic federal common-sense "let's make sure that professional fighting is organized and safe" law got filtered through the facefuck rats nest of going into Quebec, and then got caught up in some kind of low-level shitbird corruption racket, which then proceded to poo poo all over the Canadian BJJ championships.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Your synopsis about this BJJ problem has educated me more about Canada than the public school system. Aaaaaand private school, but by college you are largely picking your topics of study.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We are officially beautiful at my gym now. We have the GQ stamp of approval.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-most-stylish-gym-in-new-york-city

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 2, 2017

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

We are officially beautiful at my gym now. We have the GQ stamp of approval.

http://www.gq.com/story/the-most-stylish-gym-in-new-york-city

Cool

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

First, Billions, now GQ. So fancy

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
EBI 11 is this Sunday for the Welterweight championship. And that combat Jiu Jitsu they are trying out also will be taking place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p-eIRh1aPc

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I am very excite for EBI 11

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 9, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't forget about Alberta, which has abrogated that responsibility to the cities. Edmonton combative sports commission? Calgary combative sports commission? Lethbridge combative sports commission? They all exist. :suicide:

And have differing amateur MMA rules too.

Hah I didn't know that. It explains a lot though, and it's very :alberta:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 9, 2022

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

It's loving stupid, is what it is. Calgary commission prevents punching to the head of a downed opponent in amateur MMA. None of the other commissions do this.

This is how Florida ammy works also. Although they changed it a few years back to where if both guys have already had 3 fights they can choose to allow full ground and pound.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

JaySB posted:

The Hayabusa Metaru 47 is the one I linked earlier and is definitely my favorite.

These are the Sub Sports ones I have
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-DUAL-...Brashguard&th=1

And Shoyoroll and Albino & Preto is basically whatever they release if I feel like being fancy.

Hey hug thread, I recently received and used a Sub Sports shirt and so far it seems pretty great, so thanks!

Neon Belly posted:

I bought some Hayabusa shorts a year ago or so. They felt great while wearing, but they did not last very long. My Amazon $20 shorts, though, have lasted years now. Kind of want to just switch to spats with no shorts, though :getin:

I'm still waiting on the Sub Sports spats to ship, but I didn't see any Sub Sports shorts there. What are your $20 Amazon shorts?

vvv Thanks! 🤗 also yes stories please

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 4, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

I'm still waiting on the Sub Sports spats to ship, but I didn't see any Sub Sports shorts there. What are your $20 Amazon shorts?

I have a pair of these that seem to work just fine. I alternate them with my other brand whoring shorts
https://www.amazon.com/Soffe-XT-46-Short-Black-X-Large/dp/B0050UPBNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488601986&sr=8-1&keywords=xt46+shorts

I got my rear end kicked by Jake Ellenberger at practice today on another note.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Holy gently caress. Please tell us more.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Holy gently caress. Please tell us more.

Not much to tell, I've known Jake for a long time. He's in town for the MMA Awards, he hit me up and came to open mat and beat up everybody but our head instructor. Great wrestling, very smooth in transitions, good pressure.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

JaySB posted:

I have a pair of these that seem to work just fine. I alternate them with my other brand whoring shorts
https://www.amazon.com/Soffe-XT-46-Short-Black-X-Large/dp/B0050UPBNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488601986&sr=8-1&keywords=xt46+shorts

I own a pair of these shorts. They're solid.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 25, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sneak preview of the World's Best T-Shirt design, which I'm about 90% finished. I'm too excited to not post it

This is super duper badass

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is super duper badass

Yeah I'll buy whatever this comes on if I can. :throws wallet at monitor:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

EBI 11 tonight. Get hype

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EBI 11 firing up in a few minutes

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I ate my weed cookie to get ready for EBI11 ;)

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

I ate my weed cookie to get ready for EBI11 ;)

I had a few pieces of weed chocolate, this is the first EBI since I got my medical card.

This new Smoke Serpent song is uh...something alright...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ah yes, nothing like smoke serpent to open up EBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y_m0wZxsw

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Ah yes, nothing like smoke serpent to open up EBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y_m0wZxsw

The new song is somehow worse than this one.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

"combat jiu jitsu" is going to be terrible, also them trying to force "cjj" already

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I was not expecting to hear the word "modality".

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well that sucks for that guy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
cool kimura

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sprecherscrow posted:

I was not expecting to hear the word "modality".

Can you smoke a modality? I know what the word means but if anyone can find a way...Eddie Bravo....

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
fuckin' lol at "traditional choke"

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh hell yea Mike Beltran time

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
out of all the matches seen on this EBI the douchiness factor is pretty large. What with headbutts, attacking with unrefined cranks on Taza's injured knee and complaining about eyepokes afterwards. It's kinda frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
combat jiu jitsu is sillier than I had imagined, and I imagined it to look pretty drat silly