Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's weird how much actual cop stuff is in the first season of X-files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Dev Patel too

Rhyno posted:

Nicholas Hoult got his start on Skins. It's also not that obscure, it was hugely popular on Netflix.

Joe Dempsie (aka Gendry) too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

If skipping forward in the episode order is something that doesn't bother you, for the love of God watch the episode "Bad Blood" right the gently caress now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

If skipping forward in the episode order is something that doesn't bother you, for the love of God watch the episode "Bad Blood" right the gently caress now.

Is that the one with Munch in it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Is that the one with Munch in it?

No, though it does have Luke Wilson. It was written by Vince Gilligan!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

And Hannah Murrayand Jack O'Connel. Skins was a starting point for a ton of talented actors.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Huh I think I found the episode on YouTube but it's just a bunch of young girls fighting and singing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

raditts posted:

:what: It had an American adaptation on MTV a few years ago.

Rhyno posted:

Nicholas Hoult got his start on Skins. It's also not that obscure, it was hugely popular on Netflix.

Mu Zeta posted:

Dev Patel too

Oh drat, I stand corrected y'all. I need to actually get off of my butt and watch it then. Sorry if I seemed obstinate, long day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

Oh drat, I stand corrected y'all. I need to actually get off of my butt and watch it then. Sorry if I seemed obstinate, long day.

I wasn't trying to be legitimately lovely, I just thought it was funny because Skins was like, kind of a big deal. And you should absolutely watch seasons 1 and 2 for sure, after that... eh... 3 and 4 are not bad, I think 5 onward are dumpster fires.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, not trying to be lovely back either, I just really loved that show. The second cast especially.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

This dude hasn't shown up in like 4 years

Also here's a teaser for David Fincher's new cop show for Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3G1lWbnUU

It looks like a cop show

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 2, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Skins was some great TV, but the third cast change in the last seasons was pretty bad and the show had gone on too long by then. The first four seasons are great and as mentioned a lot of actors made it pretty big after their debuts.

drunkill posted:

The Americans is back in 1 week for the second last season of the show. Get hype! I just made the thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811968
Thanks for changing the thread title mods, but I'm still a moron and spelled Reagan wrong. Can you add an A back into his name please?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The first two seasons of Skins are great, the third season is half-ace, half-dreadful and from then on it goes completely off the rails. I watched season 4 right up until the penultimate cliffhanger where Freddie confronts Effy's therapist because he has been hypnotising her so he can kidnap her and gets murdered with a baseball bat

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

precision posted:

Don't do this. Half of what makes it work is that you've become intimately familiar with the Mulder & Scully dynamic over the preceding seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

This dude hasn't shown up in like 4 years

Also here's a teaser for David Fincher's new cop show for Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3G1lWbnUU

It looks like a cop show

Mindhunter is the book about the FBI profiler that inspired the character in Silence of the Lambs who's name I can't remember. Wonder if this is based on him too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Sure, you watch the first season of Millennium and it could easily be Criminal Minds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really like how hard and fast season 2 of X-files establishes Skinner's character. In season 1 the people supervising X-files were all shady as gently caress and strongly implied to be part of some conspiracy. But Skinner is being established as this guy who only cares about doing things by the book and getting results, and the only thing he hates more than Mulder going off-reservation is people trying to play games with his office. He's a really good component of the show.

Also the show's starting to figure out it should lean more into the horror elements and less into the procedural elements.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, you watch the first season of Millennium and it could easily be Criminal Minds.

Millenium is on the watch list once I get to the lovely part of X-files. I don't remember that show being good that often, but it was so loving weird.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Skinner is my favorite X-Files character after Mulder. I was so hyped for him to be back in season 9. :barf:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Season 10 was the new one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Oh, you're right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Millenium is on the watch list once I get to the lovely part of X-files. I don't remember that show being good that often, but it was so loving weird.

Season one of Millennium is basically this Criminal Minds type edgy crime procedural where the main focus is on how hosed up the bad guys are each week, with some hinted supernatural undertones. It's the one Chris Carter was most involved with.

Season two of Millennium is where Glen Morgan and James Wong took over and it went full-bore Christian eschatological story arc (which I'm in the position right now where I acknowledge that it was technically much better than season one - it has the two best single episodes of the series - but didn't enjoy the overarching plot so much because I was bored to death with Christian eschatological plots when I watched it).

Season three was the post-script which continued the series after it reached largely a natural conclusion at the end of season two. It was okay but nothing special.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Medullah posted:

Personally I'm pumped for Chicago Frozen Yogurt Stand. I expect to see some real drama there.

Chicago Dogs, chronicling the story of gourmet hot dog vendors throughout the city after the greatest of them all, Hot Doug, retires. Who will take the crown? Who will be so bold as to offer ketchup?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Post-script to my previous post: the most annoying thing about Millennium is that my DVD sets for seasons one and two came in slip-cases but the season three one didn't. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kaynorr posted:

Chicago Dogs, chronicling the story of gourmet hot dog vendors throughout the city after the greatest of them all, Hot Doug, retires. Who will take the crown? Who will be so bold as to offer ketchup?

Episode 4, some shady dude named Doobie shows up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

Should I be happy that I only watched like 2 episodes of the new season? It seems that way

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Should I be happy that I only watched like 2 episodes of the new season? It seems that way

It depends which 2 you watched. But yeah, the best episode from it didn't feel like X-Files. So there were no "good X-Filess episodes" in the new season. And the ending was very bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

It depends which 2 you watched. But yeah, the best episode from it didn't feel like X-Files. So there were no "good X-Filess episodes" in the new season. And the ending was very bad.

It was the first and second episode :shrug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really like Legion, I just don't feel there's enough substance there to make that call yet.

Everything that's there is top notch. I'm enjoying the journey thus far, I just have no indication where the destination is or if it will worthwhile.

Legion really feels like a show that should be released all at once. Week by week is really working against its pace. I feel like there should be this steadily climbing feeling of dread and panic, but a week between episodes is really stunting the momentum.

IDK I'm still thinking about the images and scenes from the first 3 eps (still haven't seen the latest one).

It's dream like, hypnotic, nonsensical, and really fascinating. This is stuff to ruminate and think about, not something that needs 13 eps in a row to get through a fast plot or whatever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah I don't remember which order any of them were in because I was not happy about any of it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

Mindhunter is the book about the FBI profiler that inspired the character in Silence of the Lambs who's name I can't remember. Wonder if this is based on him too.

John Douglas, who inspired Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn in Silence of the Lambs, Lawrence Fishburne in Hannibal, and Dennis Farina in Manhunter)

I'm excited for this, mainly because the trailer makes it look a lot like a no-artsy Hannibal. Looking forward to Jonathan Groff's best Hugh Dancy impression.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the good non-X-Filesy one is the third

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

I use Netflix exactly how they want me to: "gently caress it it's 10 bucks whatever."

I do get pretty consistent use out of it though. Right now I'm watching old episodes of McGyver.

I do that with Hulu too. I actually use Hulu almost exclusively now, only keeping around Netflix this month b/c of Iron Fist coming out soon. I'm finding that I barely use Netflix at all.

Edit; so add 12 from there, 8 from Netflix, and 85 for cable/internet that includes HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc. It used to be even more expensive before I switched from my old TWC account to Spectrum.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Iron Fist in March, MST3K in April then Sens8 in May.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been pretty debunked by now? Like most serial killers are caught by routine police officers or advances in DNA technology, like the Green Valley Killer. Profiling seems to just be hype.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but I'm okay with it. Hyping methods not used by law enforcement makes for good drama without training people to be better at getting away with crime.

True crime writing about fingerprint forensics lead directly lead to a huge increase in criminals wearing gloves.

Fiction about profiling being magic, and poo poo like CSI paints a completely alien from reality picture of how law enforcement catches criminals. Watching Hannibal and CSI isn't going to help you get away with crime. Not even, like, a little bit.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

God I hate The Mick . . . because I started today and I've shotgunned over half the available episodes. I love Jimmy so much.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Netflix has their own version of Ninja Warrior and it's hosted by Terry Crews :stare:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rarity posted:

Netflix has their own version of Ninja Warrior and it's hosted by Terry Crews :stare:

Ninja Warriest

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just roll with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5nnF2Bk4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been pretty debunked by now? Like most serial killers are caught by routine police officers or advances in DNA technology, like the Green Valley Killer. Profiling seems to just be hype.

Then there was Dennis Rader, who got himself caught about 15 years by writing a letter to the FBI asking if they would be able to trace his taunting messages if he put them on a floppy disk and posted them in to the police and believed them when they said, "No, of course not, feel free to do that."

• Locked thread