Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

alpha_destroy posted:

I want to officially apologize for ridiculing people who said Trout would be as good as Mantle when he was a rookie. I was wrong.

Turns out we undervalued him to just "as good as Mantle"!

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sydin posted:

Rizzo, albeit "has a personality" by MLB standards. Bryant has a huge passion for baseball and... not much else, so he comes off a a bit one note.

He's ridiculously attractive, which reality tv has shown is a fine substitute for personality

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/status/837105553985830913

Drew Jackson is one of the Mariners' top prospects. I have no idea who Zabala is.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Rizzo, albeit "has a personality" by MLB standards. Bryant has a huge passion for baseball and... not much else, so he comes off a a bit one note.

Rizzo is ridiculously adorable and his 'antics' in the dugout and games during the playoffs are why I ended up buying his jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWlk5ffRSCY

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TMMadman posted:

Rizzo is ridiculously adorable and his 'antics' in the dugout and games during the playoffs are why I ended up buying his jersey.

Rizzo is also my wife's favorite player, but it's because she thinks he's "cute." For some reason she doesn't think Bryant is "all that handsome." Perhaps this is why she has seen me naked and not vomited violently??

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Your Taint posted:

Rizzo is also my wife's favorite player, but it's because she thinks he's "cute." For some reason she doesn't think Bryant is "all that handsome." Perhaps this is why she has seen me naked and not vomited violently??

My girlfriend also thinks Rizzo is "cute". Like he's adorable.

But the reaction for Kevin was "jesus christ..."

I'm okay with this because I CAN'T ARGUE

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

TMMadman posted:

I totally forgot about this. :allears:

Tom Gorman posted:

He is, and I forgot that he does funny/cute things on occasion. I think I was just still subconsciously salty because he won the social media personality award over Noah Syndergaard.

quote:

Nathan Eovaldi is the dreamiest Ray, and no one can tell me otherwise. :colbert:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Crazy baseball story of the day goes to Jose Abreu:

http://www.12up.com/posts/4649466-jose-abreu-reveals-he-literally-ate-his-fake-passport-while-sneaking-to-america?a_aid=40030

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tom Gorman posted:

Now that Evan's lifeclock has run out, Kiermaier has taken his crown as dreamiest Ray.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

RIP beard

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/03/01...adbpr=241544156

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Taint posted:

You needed to exercise a shorter hook on sentence count here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

One less homeless-looking person on the streets of SF.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

NBA stars are a lot more marketable because they're on the court without pads, hats, sunglasses, or helmets, so you can see their faces. LeBron is on the court for 78% of the game on average, and he's one of only 5 players on his team on the court, so he gets a LOT of screen time, as do the other superstars from their respective teams. A player like Trout is only up to bat once every 2-3 innings and is only on camera in the field when he needs to field a ball hit to center. If it's a sunny day (usually the case in Southern California) he's wearing a hat, eye black, and sunglasses, all of which obscure his face. It's a lot harder to market someone like that.

Nascar guys are in cars with helmets on for entire races and they do a fine job marketing their stars. I dont even watch Nascar, but could probably spot a lot of them if they were in a crowd.

MLB just needs to pump the ad budget, get a ton of young superstars together, and shill the gently caress out of them. Get Mike Trout on Conan or some late night show hitting dingers in a parkinglot. Get Andrew MccCutchen to prank his teammates with something dumb, then youtube it. The Red Bull Kris Bryant video has 5 million views. Get out there and get eyes on your stars, and hope that draws them to games.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Honestly the Jays have been doing a great job of highlighting the personalities for the last couple years, which is a big part of why Toronto fans have bought in so much. Osuna is not the most dynamic of guys but the fans love him.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Athanatos posted:

Nascar guys are in cars with helmets on for entire races and they do a fine job marketing their stars. I dont even watch Nascar, but could probably spot a lot of them if they were in a crowd.

MLB just needs to pump the ad budget, get a ton of young superstars together, and shill the gently caress out of them. Get Mike Trout on Conan or some late night show hitting dingers in a parkinglot. Get Andrew MccCutchen to prank his teammates with something dumb, then youtube it. The Red Bull Kris Bryant video has 5 million views. Get out there and get eyes on your stars, and hope that draws them to games.

Sponsorship deals are the key to NASCAR. There are tons of ads with drivers selling mayonnaise, beer, AARP memberships, and insurance.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
:siren:ONE MONTH TIL OPENING DAY!!!:siren:

:circlefap:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So apparently David Price has forearm soreness, got an elbow MRI and is now going in for a second opinion.

Sucks for him (maybe) but also eff tha sox (maybe)

EDIT: Oh my, not just a second opinion, a second opinion from Dr James Andrews.

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/837314242957160449

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man he'll never get drafted with all that time away from football if he can't go through the drills.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

David Price is dead.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

:rip: David.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Fuuuuck please dont need TJS.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
David Prices mechanics look like the videos they show you at baseball camps. Its like a work of art

IF HE ISNT SAFE THEN NO ONE IS SAFE

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

He dead

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

So apparently David Price has forearm soreness, got an elbow MRI and is now going in for a second opinion.

Sucks for him (maybe) but also eff tha sox (maybe)

EDIT: Oh my, not just a second opinion, a second opinion from Dr James Andrews.

https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/837314242957160449
Not just Andrews, but ElAttrache as well :smithicide:
https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/837316132625338368

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

On one hand, David Price is cool as hell. On the other, gently caress the Red Sox.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Fuuuuck please dont need TJS.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i'm glad we didn't spend all that 2015 offseason money on Price now, it's much better suited going to Heywa...oh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SI must have had a witch doctor bless that cover or something

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
You don't see Dr. Andrews unless there's suspicion it's something bad.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

David Prices mechanics look like the videos they show you at baseball camps. Its like a work of art

IF HE ISNT SAFE THEN NO ONE IS SAFE

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

p
r
o
n
a
t
i
o
n

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The only way to prevent tjs is to be ra dickey and not have a ucl.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/837322260419575808

I just kind of like the way he puts it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Good Dog posted:

Everyone touted Matt Moore at having perfect mechanics and free and easy mid 90s fastballs and he got TJS. I don't know how much I still by in to pitching mechanics for injuries. Maybe for repeatability and stuff but not for TJS.

Didn't people drool over Mark Prior's mechanics too before Dusty Baker killed him? Maybe it wasn't Prior, I remember hearing a lot about it with one of the guys in those Baker Cubs rotations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

rule changes for 2017:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

it was prior

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't people drool over Mark Prior's mechanics too before Dusty Baker killed him? Maybe it wasn't Prior, I remember hearing a lot about it with one of the guys in those Baker Cubs rotations.

Prior's breakdown was when I started hearing about the inverted W all the time, but yeah he was supposed to have The Perfect Delivery

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah all those "time saving" rule changes are doing absolutely nothing. Just implement the pitch clock and get it over with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

rule changes for 2017:

Does that second to last one mean the dude with the jumping delivery is hosed now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Does that second to last one mean the dude with the jumping delivery is hosed now?

Carter Capps? I think so...

• Locked thread