Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Which 1/48 tank kit would be suitable for a Vindicator conversion? The Sturmtiger seems alright but any other options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

You are so wrong. It's infintely easier to paint 4-5 sets of arms for one marine than it is to paint 5 marines. That's just math.

Tactical squad.

Doing the math here. Ok 7 marines are plain bolter marines so they dont really need to be switched. Two special weapons. Missile launcher/MultiMelta and since I dont have graviton i only need three sets of arms for the other. That's 4 marines I dont have to paint for that one squad. Now the serg. I have bolter/pistol/plasma for left hand and power axe/powerfist/chainsword for right hand. So... yeah I'm not painting all those guys. Let's say 4 combos. So 8 marines not needed to be painted per squad by magnatized a few free arms. Times that by 6 because I have 6 tactical squads. 48 marines that serve no purpose.

Magnatize your dumb men and save some money.

I guess I would rather have the option of running 3 devastator squads or using my special weapon guys to fill out veterans than magnetizing a couple and potentially not having enough bodies. Especially for heavy weapons which require you to do the arms anyways so you still have to paint like half a model. I get why people do it, but I don't think its a "must do." For stuff like bikes or tanks I think its pretty nuts not to magnetize though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

goose willis posted:

Which 1/48 tank kit would be suitable for a Vindicator conversion? The Sturmtiger seems alright but any other options?

The Swedish Stridsvagn 103 is a similar design but with a more modern look

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I guess I would rather have the option of running 3 devastator squads or using my special weapon guys to fill out veterans than magnetizing a couple and potentially not having enough bodies. Especially for heavy weapons which require you to do the arms anyways so you still have to paint like half a model. I get why people do it, but I don't think its a "must do." For stuff like bikes or tanks I think its pretty nuts not to magnetize though.

I use ancient 2nd edition beefy legged marines for my devastators and the 2xmissile 1x lascannon 1xplasmacannon load out because I find it covers most of the bases but I barely use devastators in general. The two squads havent been played with for years.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's a bit hard to find a plastic kit for the Stridsvagn.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what comes in a Death Company Strike Force box? I know it shows 5 assault marines and 10 tactical, but can you make the entire force with jump packs?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Its not just Cypher though, its the Fallen Guilliman will be hanging out with. Unless Guilliman and the grey knights dude have been tricked into helping a bunch of fallen chaos space marines then I still don't see how DA get out of this one. Like they are either loyalist trying to cover up the fact that the Fallen exist because they have fallen to chaos, or they have been suppressing the loyal space marine forces which seems like unacceptable behavior for also loyal space marines to do.

The Fallen are at best apostates so that the DA could hardly be faulted for hunting them down. Just because Guilliman is a pragmatist doesn't mean they wouldn't fair far worse under different circumstances.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does anyone know what comes in a Death Company Strike Force box? I know it shows 5 assault marines and 10 tactical, but can you make the entire force with jump packs?

It's three sets of the five man Death Company box so all 15 can be given jump packs.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 2, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

It's essentially 3 boxes of Death Company crammed in one box with a BA Dread and a Chaplain, so they all come with optional jetpacks and the various ranged/melee options.

edit: f,b

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Working on GSC for and escalation league at my local store. Got some of the highlighting and washes done. Feeling pretty good about my chances for getting my 500pt list painted to a decent standard by the first game.

There aren't any bonus points for doing it, but I will get to be suuuuuper smug about it.
:agesilaus:

Horace-Noah fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 2, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

goose willis posted:

Best bet is to browse armoured vehicles on wikipedia in your spare time, then cross reference with Scalemates to see if there are any kits in the right scale, and how good they are. Simple math on the wiki listed length and width will tell you how big the kit is.

The fixed forward gun mount ended with WW2 aside from the Stridsvagn, so you're looking at things like the Hetzer, StuG, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger, Brummbar, Jagdpanzer IV, Elefant; perhaps an open topped Marder I/II/III, Nashorn, Sturer Emil, or Dickermax; Su-76/85/100/122/152, ISU-122/152; A39 Tortoise, A22D Churchill Gun Carrier, Archer tank destroyer; T28 Super Heavy

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 2, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

That box is a great deal and Death Company are one of the better kits in the Blood Angels range. I highly recommend picking it up.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Thank you for all the tank help!

I just got the Mantic Plague Starter box in the mail today and I'm gonna put it together this weekend. Everything looks really cool and very appropriately Nurgle. I'll make sure to take pictures.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

Best bet is to browse armoured vehicles on wikipedia in your spare time, then cross reference with Scalemates to see if there are any kits in the right scale, and how good they are. Simple math on the wiki listed length and width will tell you how big the kit is.

The fixed forward gun mount ended with WW2 aside from the Stridsvagn, so you're looking at things like the Hetzer, StuG, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger, Brummbar, Jagdpanzer IV, Elefant; perhaps an open topped Marder I/II/III, Nashorn, Sturer Emil, or Dickermax; Su-76/85/100/122/152, ISU-122/152; A39 Tortoise, A22D Churchill Gun Carrier, Archer tank destroyer; T28 Super Heavy

Grant/Lee and an early war French tank Char II?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LingcodKilla posted:

Grant/Lee and an early war French tank Char II?

Grant/Lee sure, but that was pictured earlier so I was coming up with different ones; I suppose the Char B1 could work, but the Char 2C is just too big, it's going to be way too long even in 1/48

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Models within a given army will follow the same design aesthetics. There's a consistent visual language in a range that is (usually) adhered to pretty closely, and is one of the reasons armies look so unified. For instance, while a model of a StuG is similar in a lot of ways to a Vindicator, it just isn't a Vindicator:

You can sometimes get away with this with Orks or Guard if there's enough conversion work done, and some third party companies make models that work. Most of them don't if you ask me though.

You call that a vindicator?

Now this, THIS is a vindicator

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

Grant/Lee sure, but that was pictured earlier so I was coming up with different ones; I suppose the Char B1 could work, but the Char 2C is just too big, it's going to be way too long even in 1/48

Yeah it was the Char B1 I was thinking of.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Horace-Noah posted:

Working on GSC for and escalation league at my local store. Got some of the highlighting and washes done. Feeling pretty good about my chances for getting my 500pt list painted to a decent standard by the first game.

There aren't any bonus points for doing it, but I will get to be suuuuuper smug about it.
:agesilaus:
Genestealer Cults are awesome, and that paintjob is fantastic. Without over-inflating your smugness, please do keep posting hobby progress!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah it was the Char B1 I was thinking of.

With its big slab sides, all around tracks, and small turret ring, I kinda figured the Char B1 would be a prime candidate for a chaos Land Raider conversion

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Where's it keep the rest of its ammo once it's fired its one loaded shot? In the Warp? Like a Heretic?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Are you saying your Vindicator shoots more than 3 times in a game?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Are you saying your Vindicator shoots more than 3 times once in a game?
:v:

:smith:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Magnets are so rarely worth the trouble. Just get some junk marines off of ebay and use those bodies.

I'll fight you.

Magnets should be in everything.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

goose willis posted:

Thank you for all the tank help!

I just got the Mantic Plague Starter box in the mail today and I'm gonna put it together this weekend. Everything looks really cool and very appropriately Nurgle. I'll make sure to take pictures.

I am late to the party. As someone who has been seeking a cheap alternative for nine leman fusses for my 30k cult Militia the leman russ is the cheapest. A lot of the model kits are more expensive and there is the scaling issue as described previously.

I did look at the dust tactics allied medium assault walker which at the right place you can find pretty cheap but they are so much smaller but they have a turret and a spot where you could glue a lascannon or similar.

I am currently looking at a ramshackle games combination (they have a 'battle dog' tank which is an obvious alternative for the lemon russ but I don't like the kv style huge turret). I need to contact Curtis the ramshackle guy to see how compatible all the bits are.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I've had a lot of luck with magnets, some models have been harder than others. Centurions for example I had to ditch the power cables that attach to the weapons. Scouts were a pain, their arms barely fit properly to begin with magnetizing things like the Heavy Bolter have been "meh". Same goes with Devastators, if you aren't being consistent in your magnet placement it isn't uncommon for a gun that sticks to one guy to not fit right on another. Not an issue for my tacticals who all have squad markings, but with Devastators you can find a quick game of "who gets what?".

Still the worst is wrist magnetizing any weapon that isn't supported by another hand. I've got more than a few guys who have out stretched arms for weapon pointing, and while they stick fine, my clumsy hands knock them off when moving around all day.

Still better than having to paint something like 30 more models...

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of Cypher, keep in mind his release from the rock was carried out by the Tzeenchian Changeling Demon during the War on Fenris in order to break down and expose the Dark Angels.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

You didnt magnetize them incase you want to run them in a drop pod or rhino?

It's for a Black Templars army; I'm gonna have enough schmucks with BP/CCW that I won't need to use my fast attack slots on regular joes.

JackMack posted:

I am late to the party. As someone who has been seeking a cheap alternative for nine leman fusses for my 30k cult Militia the leman russ is the cheapest. A lot of the model kits are more expensive and there is the scaling issue as described previously.

Your best bet really is just going and finding used ones on eBay. Leman Russes aren't hard to come by, I built a Leman Russ tank company years ago for half the price of buying new, mostly because they were just the older models, which look almost identical to the new ones.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Yeah but can they snap fire template weapons?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Obviously not because the Snap Shots rule says explicitly that the rule must specifically override the Snap Shots rule to work. :vd:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Speaking of Cypher, keep in mind his release from the rock was carried out by the Tzeenchian Changeling Demon during the War on Fenris in order to break down and expose the Dark Angels.
Nah. Cypher's always been free and roaming around. You're thinking of Luther.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Luther was the real loyalist.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Luther was the real loyalist.

There are only two true statements in 40k lore:

1. There are no wolves on fenris.
2. There are no loyalist dark angels.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
This is from BoLS, but notable since it's debunking things:

Now we can confirm that the following rumors are not contained in the upcoming book:
- Abaddon’s Death – Not happening (me: yaaay)
- The Emperor’s Death – Not happening
- Cypher’s Identity Revealed – Not happening

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Wanna hear me geek the gently caress out over a few of my favorite models? I do in this video, where I also talk up what makes them work so well, and why they inspired me to start the armies I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYr2vuAZ-qg

TheChirurgeon posted:

Now we can confirm that the following rumors are not contained in the upcoming book:

I could have bought Abaddon dying, since they kinda had their opportunity to release a new model for him and just flat out didn't. Chaos would be a lot worse off in the setting without him though, and without someone to unite them, Chaos is a lot less of a threat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SRM posted:

Wanna hear me geek the gently caress out over a few of my favorite models? I do in this video, where I also talk up what makes them work so well, and why they inspired me to start the armies I did:

I could have bought Abaddon dying, since they kinda had their opportunity to release a new model for him and just flat out didn't. Chaos would be a lot worse off in the setting without him though, and without someone to unite them, Chaos is a lot less of a threat.

Chaos should not be united. It's kinda in its name.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TheChirurgeon posted:

And here I was hoping we'd see Cypher's plot thread finally wrapped up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

Chaos should not be united. It's kinda in its name.

The irony isn't lost on me there, but a Black Crusade under Abaddon is a much bigger deal to the Imperium than a bunch of power armored space pirates being dicks. Nobody but Abaddon was gonna pull off blowing up Cadia.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

The fact that you just said you read Horus Rising while you were a teenager made me feel incredibly old.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ghost Hand posted:

The fact that you just said you read Horus Rising while you were a teenager made me feel incredibly old.

What year did the first official 40k novel come out?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ian Watson's Inquisitor was 1990, pretty sure that was the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ian Watson's Inquisitor was 1990, pretty sure that was the first.

I was in the 8th grade.

• Locked thread