Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

And Russ is impossible to fit in a list, because he's a huge point-sink and all he feels like is a big beatstick and nothing more.

Angron says hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Angron says hi.

Actually, space wolves aren't as good as world eaters and furthermore Bjorn is missing,

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hamshot posted:

I regret not adding awuuuuuuuus to my fanfic submission to the Badcast now. SRM and the other guy, if you guys read out mine, could the one not reading the story do awuuuuus during the space wolf sections?
If I caught this before we recorded I would have :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

First the Catachan head and now this. :negative:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

Rerecord. Its the only way.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TKIY posted:

Except I've never played Space Wolves.

Hmm I wonder if I could get my Malamute to join in.

Try something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQJVGZmp-E

There's a dog training club literally on the opposite side of the hall from our mancave/gaming club and I managed to set the whole lot of them off with that video.

Edit: To clarify, just playing that youtube clip to my friend from my phone. "Look dude, this is funny-"

Awuuuuuuuuuuuu*8

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 1, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Rerecord. Its the only way.

If they re-record it there's less chance a mispronouncing of the Warboss' name as GrubbyButt will make it in.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So what I'm hearing is that everyone should record an awuuuuu and they can then be stitched together for something that would make an Emperor's Children Kakophoni proud.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Has anyone mathhammered how Magnus and Lemon Rush stack up against the other Primachs in melee? Is Horus still top dog or do either of them beat him?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Leman Russ beats everyone unless Horus gets super lucky on his Disabling Strikes. Magnus is in 3rd after Horus if he's on Biomancy, otherwise he's about as good as Lorgar. Russ's invisibility armor is pretty bonkers.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Though Magnus just pops anyone from range like they were big, angry pus-filled zit just by farting in their direction.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Scoria is about even with Russ too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Shazaminator posted:

Has anyone mathhammered how Magnus and Lemon Rush stack up against the other Primachs in melee? Is Horus still top dog or do either of them beat him?

I'm pretty sure Lemon Rush is 99 cents in the app store.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

So what I'm hearing is that everyone should record an awuuuuu and they can then be stitched together for something that would make an Emperor's Children Kakophoni proud.

Probably a good idea because while I talk a big game the likelihood of me recording an awuuuu to send to GH is slim. Maybe if I was sponsored by some sort of dog food company.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cythereal posted:

Angron says hi.

Yeah, but that's what Angron should be. If any Primarch is not cut from general material it's him.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Scoria is about even with Russ too.

Yep. Scoria dies to Rus after about 7 turns. A clever player can still win out if he targets Rus's boyfriends instead of Rus.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just sperged an email to FW listing some of the errors in Inferno. I am that guy.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I can see why people would make fun of "that guy" but in this case ForgeWorld needs to be shamed for their lack of editing.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Hah, yeah, shamed. That'll do it. *continues to buy overpriced unedited garbage because the covers are pretty*

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I've since typed out my problems with inferno. Its a lot so I'm going to break it up into chunks so it can actually be read and discussed. Some of these issues are fixed, so I doubt they get changed until these armies get their next appearance if ever, but some can certainly be faqed.

I'll start with SW because I am most well versed there.

LA:SW

This is basically the minimum they could have done with the wolves core rules. RAW I'll give it a pass, it could have been written better (why make up a new rule when you could have just given them acute senses), and warrior's mettle mechanically should have been a LA:SW rule its scope is limited enough that it wouldn't have been incredibly powerful instead you end up with veterans who can't complete the same basic maneuvers as line troops*. :rolleyes:

Army selection:

The first point is actually pretty clearly spelled out regardless of what my fellow wolves might prefer. We must include a Praetor or Centurion as compulsory HQ choices, "other HQ choices cannot be compulsory". That is clear as day. Special Character, Consuls, and The Wolf King(in Primarch's Chosen) would fall under "other HQ choices" It doesn't make any sense but that is what they wrote. You could argue that given the larger context of failure to communicate the meaning of their rules, that they "might" not mean special characters who themselves are Jarl's.

All of this is a pointless distinction. The ruleset already includes a provision for HQ choices who are no leaders, and the legions are full of rules that require additional hq choices above compulsory. We have the support officer rule, I don't see what is "unfluffy" about a legion Champion leading a war party or the delegatus who is specifically a leader chosen for a specific task... apparently SW don't have specific tasks and they are just unleashed at company level* :rolleyes:

I suppose that the available RoW are so mediocre that they might guess that SW players may have just spammed, Speakers of the Dead w/ Great frost blade, and Aether rune or Artificer armour... but I mean at 150 points a pop there should have been little worry about that. It goes beyond the primary detachment though a SW allied detachment is mostly an exercise in frustration.

1 per 1000: Well here we go again back to 3rd edition. GW proper dumped this rule mainly because it unnecessarily limited how people build their armies, which is counter productive to selling models. The new approach of giving them the option to take 1 addition hq choice in their detachment much better represents a fluffy way to encourage the use of the thengs and Jarls of Russ. My hypotheses is that 50% they wanted to hit that nostalgia button for older players, and 50% they have no clue what to do with SWs

Ignoring the need of such a rule, their example own example confuses how it works. 1 per 1000 points means between 0-999 you need 0 hqs, 1000-2000 you need 2, etc. Obviously the basic force org requires a compulsory hq choice. Their example means in a 250 point game of blood in the void I must take a Centurion or Praetor. And if my list is 2000 points I suddenly need 3 hqs? even though its only two thousands, not three thousands. :rolleyes:

Grey Slayers: All they had to do was say compulsory troops choices must be filled by Grey Slayer squads. All the extra language is just confusing and unnecessary.

This is just the first, two pages of SW rules.

I'll be using the "*" to highlight situations where the mechanics are not only bad, but also break immersion in the universe.

My next post will be about the legion units, and how these army restrictions shoehorn the army before ever looking at a RoW.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
my immersion

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

In 8th edition, Imperial Guard will be replaced with the a Campaign for North Africa box to more accurately represent being an Imperial Guard commander.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The SW tears are incredible, I hope they never stop :allears:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Look BULBASAUR you know I have a level of respect for you so please don't read this as me being belligerent for the sake of it.

But the restrictions in our army list are significant.

The compositional requirements consume points in a rather debilitating way.

What's worse is that one limiting factor compounds the other in that the extra HQs which we must take can't effectively join the mandatory units we also have to take as troops.

I do not think the list is unworkable. No. I don't think that. But I certainly feel like my fists offer me far more flexibility in list building.

I find that by the time I'm done ticking boxes with wolves I have very little left in the way of points for fun or interesting things.

I'm sure noghtlords feel similar constraints with things like terror assault.

I'm not going to not play the legion. But I do feel like it's rules are middling at best. Not great. Not awful but nothing to write home about with significant hurdles to get over in list construction.

With all due respect to you Ran
If you played me with a list like that I would likely table you by 3 or 4

In my meta infantry can't walk and walking assault units are just tasty means for stuff to get it's points back.

Not that it's a bad list it seems for where yer playing. Just I. Theory i would never leave my guys out there like that. Fast though they may be.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

The SW tears are incredible, I hope they never stop :allears:

don't worry buddy. They never will

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

Look BULBASAUR you know I have a level of respect for you so please don't read this as me being belligerent for the sake of it.

Awuuuuuu

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I wanna see a Mastodon with 40 Gray Slayers pour out of it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bulbasaur posts so much on B&C (likely calling them brother, etc) that's he's built a good reputation.

Mods

please

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TKIY posted:

Probably a good idea because while I talk a big game the likelihood of me recording an awuuuu to send to GH is slim. Maybe if I was sponsored by some sort of dog food company.

We record The ICs this Sunday - I'll make Justin do it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

We record The ICs this Sunday - I'll make Justin do it.

Good on ya.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Man I'm sure relieved that FW didn't rush Inferno out the door and delayed it for better quality content

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

Man I'm sure relieved that FW didn't rush Inferno out the door and delayed it for better quality content

I find this funny tbh. It's not that big of a deal

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

adamantium|wang posted:

Printing error by the printer (not GW). Contact FW and they will likely replace it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Honestly, do you get paid to leap in and defend these guys at every perceived slight? Or is it just a hobby?

Seriously, the loving Batsignal doesn't work this reliably or effectively

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Honestly, do you get paid to leap in and defend these guys at every perceived slight? Or is it just a hobby?

Seriously, the loving Batsignal doesn't work this reliably or effectively
It's not that big of a deal. I would've said basically the same thing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
$100 book, nbd. i flush more than that down the toilet all the time

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Would anyone itt know if FW have the event Custodes in their Warhams World store? I know they have the Siege Breaker and Libarian McDemonhands, but I'd kinda like to grab the Shield Tribune dude when I pass through today.

Also, Custodes-naught with the shield yay/nay? I'm leaning towards waiting for the one with the spear, but the design is gorgeous.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Would anyone itt know if FW have the event Custodes in their Warhams World store? I know they have the Siege Breaker and Libarian McDemonhands, but I'd kinda like to grab the Shield Tribune dude when I pass through today.

Also, Custodes-naught with the shield yay/nay? I'm leaning towards waiting for the one with the spear, but the design is gorgeous.

I think so, they're usually available at WHW after the first event they're released.

Though apparently it's £45 so get ready for that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Pretty sure the answer is yes. As for the Custodes there are so many new special rules I haven't a clue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Yes, both are perfectly good. The shield one is a misery to remove and deals with hordes with double inferno flamers, the spear one is for blowing up terminators & deathstars with a charge.