Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean I guess giving the best Actor Oscar to a guy who just tried to force a woman to have his son's abortion isn't as bad as giving it to a guy who tried to sexually assault someone, but it's a lateral move at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Coffee And Pie posted:

30 Minutes or Less is a kinda ghoulish concept for a movie but it has some top tier Danny McBride
"I'm loving this bitch, you're just holding the camera"
"I taught myself how to eat pussy and cut my own hair"
"Sometimes fate pulls out its big ol cock and slaps you right in face."

The really ghoulish thing is that the guy the story's based on got brutally murdered by the bomb. That kinda casts a pall over the whole thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Are you kidding? That just makes it better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Just started episode three of The People vs. OJ Simpson and this is so extremely my poo poo

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Just started episode three of The People vs. OJ Simpson and this is so extremely my poo poo

It's so drat good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skull Island is pretty good. Larry Fong brings a lot of what makes it work, it looks great. Not quite up to the standard of Godzilla (2014), though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so wait how am I not finding out that Ben Wheatley did an action comedy with Brie Larson, Sharlto Copley, and Cillian Murphy until just now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDD3I0uOlqY

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so wait how am I not finding out that Ben Wheatley did an action comedy with Brie Larson, Sharlto Copley, Cillian Murphy until just now?

I dunno but it looks great

Also Armie Hammer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I dunno but it looks great

Also Armie Hammer.

I almost listed him but then was like "eh who cares about him".

I also almost listed Michael Smiley, who I do care about, but it's not surprising to see him pop up in a Ben Wheatley movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Woah buddy, I'll fight you, Armie Hammer is great

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Skull Island is pretty good. Larry Fong brings a lot of what makes it work, it looks great. Not quite up to the standard of Godzilla (2014), though.

So it's worse than Godzilla 2014?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
We should have a CineD throwdown free for all fight to once and for all determine whose opinion is correct and best.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

He was great in The Social Network but I kinda credit that more to Fincher. Is there another great role of his I'm missing out on?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He was great in The Social Network but I kinda credit that more to Fincher. Is there another great role of his I'm missing out on?

He's pretty charming in The Man from UNCLE but it's a cartoon-y role.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I miss editing, I wish there was a way to send big files over the internet so I could edit footage for funsies since, like, apparently at least two of you guys are making shorts rn.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Social Network is the main one but he's great in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Nocturnal Animals.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yooooo is anyone going to see Wavves in May?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GonSmithe posted:

Armie Hammer is one of those actors I really like but never get to see much because he keeps getting cast in some absolute trash. He needs to fire his agent.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yooooo is anyone going to see Wavves in May?

No but I have tickets for Perfume Genius in May and PWR BTTM in June both of which are way better.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So it's worse than Godzilla 2014?

It's a good version of, like, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. Which makes for a fine action/adventure movie. But Godzilla is apocalyptic, so it ends up feeling like a bit of a step-down. Particularly considering they're the ones forcing the comparison.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

therattle posted:

Denial is a good story but not a very good film. I found Weisz's accent, although accurate, somehow unconvincing - as though she was putting so much effort into getting the accent right that she couldn't act properly at the same time. The other actors are very good though. It still feels like a high-end TV film.

As I've said, the first 3rd of Hacksaw Ridge I found pretty lame but it keeps getting better as it goes on; the last act is astounding.

Having watched it tonight, I completely disagree. Denial is a very well shot, quite well edited, tightly written, and well acted film. If it were a made-for-TV movie, then it would just be further evidence that some of the best films don't make it to theaters. Fortunately, it did make it to theaters, where I should have had the foresight to see it on the big screen when I had the chance. For a movie which is basically "photographs of people talking," its formal qualities are exceedingly well-executed, to the extent that it's my new favorite drama of 2016 (finally taking the throne that Belgica has held since April 18th of last year).

I'm sure Hacksaw Ridge is gonna be beast. Btw, if y'all haven't peeped the non-Mel Gibson directed, Mel Gibson comeback star-vehicle Blood Father, you're missing out on a solid B-movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Social Network is the main one but he's great in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Nocturnal Animals.

I do have to see Nocturnal Animals just for Michael Shannon but i gotta say it kinda sounds terrible.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I do have to see Nocturnal Animals just for Michael Shannon but i gotta say it kinda sounds terrible.

It's really good. Better than A Single Man, even, which was already drat good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was zero percent sold on it until I heard about the opening sequence.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

No but I have tickets for Perfume Genius in May and PWR BTTM in June both of which are way better.

Oh poo poo I might be going to PWR BTTM. I'll be the gay looking Rick Moranis motherfucker with an excitable redhead towing me around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The movies have completely recreated the excesses of the comics.

The movies haven't even begun to touch the clusterfuck that is the Summers family. I hope when Cable shows up in Deadpool 2 he will take a minute to explain his backstory, and then Deadpool goes "Wait, who is Cyclops?"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
shout outs to jim parsons for having the self-awareness to play a racist sexist nerd in hidden figures

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's not my favorite of the X-Men movies, but Days of Future Past hit the perfect sweet spot of adapting the wacky-rear end Claremont style X-Men plot to film. Apocalypse however was a massive disappointment.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was zero percent sold on it until I heard about the opening sequence.

Do tell?

I've had Nocturnal Animals on my someday-soon list for a while, and could use a push to watch it. Although I have a strong bias towards loving (neo-)noirs, for some reason I keep automatically postponing them until I'm in some vague, undefined ideal mood.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Michael Shannon is like Viggo Mortensen on my "I'll see any movie this person shows up in" list, and I'm expecting Nocturnal Animals to be kinda like Captain Fantastic, where I'm absolutely enraptured by that one performance even as I'm finding fault all over the rest of the movie,

Captain Fantastic is a weird one I want more people to see. As it is, it's a B+ tops, but I think with another pass at the script and a more assured director it could've been a really great movie. There are individual moments i absolutely loved.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 2, 2017

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ynohtna posted:

Do tell?

You don't want him to tell. You want to see Nocturnal Animals.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ynohtna posted:

I've had Nocturnal Animals on my someday-soon list for a while, and could use a push to watch it. Although I have a strong bias towards loving (neo-)noirs, for some reason I keep automatically postponing them until I'm in some vague, undefined ideal mood.

All of the 'neo-noir' elements of Nocturnal Animals are part of a trashy crime novel. The frame narrative is really just a straightforward, romantic melodrama.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ynohtna posted:

Do tell?

Apparently the credits are over a body-positive photo shoot of some fat women, and the director talked about how it was a celebration of people who are happy without following cultural guidelines, which is apparently the inverse of the film's characters.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Captain Fantastic is a weird one I want more people to see. As it is, it's a B+ tops, but I think with another pass at the script and a more assured director it could've been a really great movie. There are individual moments i absolutely loved.

It's strange because it feels like, beat by beat, an NPR-approved indie film but Viggo's performance pushes it a little past that. It also helps that the child actors didn't really have a weak link that I can remember.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Let me know how the pasta turns out as well and what you put on it, I love pasta, but I've sworn off it partly.

It was a pretty basic beef stroganoff recipe, I was worried because I don't know what I'm doing but my friend who actually knows how to cook kind of guided me & it turned out really well. Pasta rules.
Invasion From Inner Earth was unfortunately pretty boring, there were a couple of fun things like the aliens only appearing in the form of a small red light, the occasional shot of a mini ufo & a guy doing a half robot voice over the radio. But like 98% of the movie is amateur actors saying semi-incomprehensible cliches at each other in a poorly lit cabin.
Still didn't mind though since when else am I gonna see someone's cheap regional Sci-fi movie in a theater setting + it's always satisfying to see everyone who didn't take off applaud passionately in a show of collective endurance.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 2, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On a completely random note, I just now at this very moment realized that the reason that the owl in the Tootsie Pop commercial says "ta-hoo" is because he's an owl and they say"hoo"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

glam rock hamhock posted:

On a completely random note, I just now at this very moment realized that the reason that the owl in the Tootsie Pop commercial says "ta-hoo" is because he's an owl and they say"hoo"

i can't handle this rn

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Repo Man's okay.

I saw it without knowing anything about it and it hit me like a tornado.

Subsequent viewings are not quite the same. Still good though.

I've still gotta see the TV edit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Let me know how the pasta turns out as well and what you put on it, I love pasta, but I've sworn off it partly.

kinky

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Oh poo poo I might be going to PWR BTTM. I'll be the gay looking Rick Moranis motherfucker with an excitable redhead towing me around.

Which show?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's not my favorite of the X-Men movies, but Days of Future Past hit the perfect sweet spot of adapting the wacky-rear end Claremont style X-Men plot to film. Apocalypse however was a massive disappointment.

I felt the same way. I loved Days of Future Past but Apocalypse was just a grim joyless slog. Are you watching Legion? Because Legion is weird as gently caress and also real good.

You guys should be watching Legion because it's Real Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

:psyduck:

How???

• Locked thread