Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

it ended when gon and gin had their talk on top of that tree imo
yeah i dont think it needed more than that anyway

like the stuff it's setting up seems interesting but the election was a good capstone to the chimera ant arc and the chimera ant arc is probably the best shonen manga arc there'll ever be so im good with hxh ending with the coda of the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Endorph posted:

like the stuff it's setting up seems interesting but the election was a good capstone to the chimera ant arc and the chimera ant arc is probably the best shonen manga arc there'll ever be so im good with hxh ending with the coda of the election

If you really want to read about the dark continent just read Toriko instead it's basically the same thing, but hungrier

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

I just want you all to know, that HxH is never going to be finished.

Yuu Yuu Hakusho was better anyway

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the best explanation I've ever heard about Toriyama that he fell rear end-backwards into one of the greatest fighting manga of all time. There is no doubt he inspired so many, heck Kishimoto and Oda cite him as inspirations. I think Toriyama always wanted to go back to gag stuff, but got trapped by DBZ...

Anyway, BnHA feels very 'post dragon ball' to me. Like Horikoshi wanted to take all of the pathos and emotion of one piece and apply it to american super heroes...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Toriyama's actual writing is not that great. When you read the volumes of early Dragon Ball, it's really obvious that he's making stuff up as he goes along. Then there's Namek, which is a slog (not as much of a slog as the anime version, but still a slog).
While a part of me wants to agree, the other part of me is pretty sure you can recall basically every character and major plot point from dragonball without any effort. :v: Especially since there's plenty of modern examples of manga authors trying to do things by the seat of their pants or being surprised by editor dictates or whatever with the end result being that the comic goes on a swan dive into the toilet. (See also: Bleach, Naruto).

key party favors posted:

the best explanation I've ever heard about Toriyama that he fell rear end-backwards into one of the greatest fighting manga of all time. There is no doubt he inspired so many, heck Kishimoto and Oda cite him as inspirations. I think Toriyama always wanted to go back to gag stuff, but got trapped by DBZ...

Anyway, BnHA feels very 'post dragon ball' to me. Like Horikoshi wanted to take all of the pathos and emotion of one piece and apply it to american super heroes...
Yeah Toriyama was a cartoonist at heart. It's just a smaller jump going from slapstick violence to actual violence than some people suspect.

And MHA itself is really well written... it's not really a deconstruction of the genre like Onepunch Man, but it pulls elements from the better aspects of western comics and tries to look at how people actually become heroes for relatively believable reasons. Taking the usual character archetypes and giving understandable reasons for their behavior. It would have been trivially easy to make Bakugou make Sasuke-style contrived dumbass decisions to keep a rivalry going for example, but that hasn't happened.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Endorph posted:

I'm the guy who thinks One Piece fell off really bad and even currently is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and for me the quintessential shounen arc is Enies Lobby.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A fun way to demonstrate the power of Toriyama's style is to remember that this is the guy who managed to make putting eyes and a smile on a teardrop the most iconic enemy in all of jrpgs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Toriyama's actual writing is not that great. When you read the volumes of early Dragon Ball, it's really obvious that he's making stuff up as he goes along. Then there's Namek, which is a slog (not as much of a slog as the anime version, but still a slog).

Dragon Ball (not most of the Z part) is unabashedly an adventure/gag comic with some fights though and kind of puts its beloved counterpart One Piece to shame on that front, so saying the actual writing isn't that great is kind of silly for that part. Because, who the gently caress wants an overarching story for a gag comic?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I'm the guy who thinks One Piece fell off really bad and even currently is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and for me the quintessential shounen arc is Enies Lobby.

Dressrosa is like Skypeia of the New World in that it goes on too long, the new stuff has been great

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Shugojin posted:

A fun way to demonstrate the power of Toriyama's style is to remember that this is the guy who managed to make putting eyes and a smile on a teardrop the most iconic enemy in all of jrpgs.

Counterpoint: those slimes are ugly and suck.

A better summation of Toriyama's style is that he made Robo, Lucca and Ayla, but also Chrono, Marle and everyone from Blue Dragon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shugojin posted:

If you really want to read about the dark continent just read Toriko instead it's basically the same thing, but hungrier
What you don't like kurapica is gonna solve the case of the murders on a boat? I know how this boat thing work

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Dragon Ball (not most of the Z part) is unabashedly an adventure/gag comic with some fights though and kind of puts its beloved counterpart One Piece to shame on that front, so saying the actual writing isn't that great is kind of silly for that part. Because, who the gently caress wants an overarching story for a gag comic?

I know humor is subjective, but I don't find early Dragon Ball all that funny. And it became a serious battle manga by the Piccolo Sr. arc if not earlier.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vengarr posted:

There it is, the wronged opinion.

Silver2195 posted:

I know humor is subjective, but I don't find early Dragon Ball all that funny. And it became a serious battle manga by the Piccolo Sr. arc if not earlier.

Have you read the Viz translation? And yeah it's a gradual descent, but I was too lazy to elaborate.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

There it is, the wronged opinion.

Have you read the Viz translation? And yeah it's a gradual descent, but I was too lazy to elaborate.

Yes, it was the Viz translation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

The chimera ant arc is great and the whole "BTW we're actually just a tiny continent in a huge world" reveal is neat until the whole exploration thing starts up and the series becomes 90% words. It really should have ended with the chat on the tree. The like one fight since then wasn't very fun to read through because it was between one of the cooler characters and a guy who just has infinite super powers.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's rather hilarious when you remember that the modern shonen genre is almost entirely based on the manga made by possibly one of the laziest authors ever.

Everyone adapted Akira Toriyama's ideas, no one adapted his workstyle of "be lazy as much as possible, finish this week's chapter in two days or so, and only under pressure and/or lies by my editor".

Most of the late-80s/early-90s authors had the right idea: spend 5-10 years making a really great story, use the goodwill from that to negotiate better contracts, take your time pumping out new stuff, occasionally go back to the first hit to boost your standing. I think Araki is the most frequent of those guys, and even he moved to a monthly release schedule.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

The chimera ant arc is great and the whole "BTW we're actually just a tiny continent in a huge world" reveal is neat until the whole exploration thing starts up and the series becomes 90% words. It really should have ended with the chat on the tree. The like one fight since then wasn't very fun to read through because it was between one of the cooler characters and a guy who just has infinite super powers.

That fight owned and was fun to read.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/837185518647533568

Formal word of a week's hiatus.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It claims the usual 'sudden illness' as the cause. Hope our boy is okay. Get well soon, Horikoshi, I need my fix.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I will never read berserk or HxH until they are finished

Hence I will never read berserk or HxH

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just read hxh until gon and his dad talk at the top of that big tree, then stop

it's a perfect ending point and you get a fantastic manga to read through until you get there. I haven't looked into hxh in ages but I'm totally satisfied with it as is

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

but then you miss the best fight in the series

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
That's where the 2011 anime ends and it's a supremely good adaptation so either way is a good way to experience HxH with a satisfying conclusion that leaves the possibility for more (because there is more, just not very much of it)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Jesus loving Christ

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
C'mon, guys, people re allowed to be wrong.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm just wondering if we need to call a crisis helpline or something. :ohdear:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Vengarr posted:

This might be the worst opinion I've ever read. Congratulations, you can retire from the internet now.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Butt Ghost posted:

But it's terrible. Fights in HxH are great because there's a sort of mechanical style to how powers work and it doesn't usually do the typical thing of a guy pulling a brand new super power out to win the fight at the last minute.

That fight just has one guy pull out new power after new power and throw an endless number of explosive bodies at his opponent until he wins.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

PMush Perfect posted:

C'mon, guys, people re allowed to be wrong.

Where do think you are, huh? :toughguy:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ruggington posted:

Jesus loving Christ

They're shiiiiiit

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Butt Ghost posted:

Perfect OVA material by Madhouse.

Hope Horikoshi doesn't die this year.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Grouchio posted:

Perfect OVA material by Madhouse.

Hope Horikoshi doesn't die this year.
Start the Dead Mangaka Society.

Everyone who reads Berserk, World Trigger, HxH, and MHA can sit around and commiserate.

:smith::respek::smith:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Vengarr posted:

They're shiiiiiit

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kentaro Miura isn't dead, he's just sick of grimdark and really wants to be drawing moe instead. Kinda like how Hajime no Ippo's author is sick of boxing. Even if you really love your topic, 15+ years toiling endlessly on the same project is enough to make you scream.

That's why sane people usually take breaks before they burn out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/836813026883997700

According to listings, season 2 will be a 2-cour offering of 24 episodes.

Please be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better paced

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Please be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better pacedPlease be better paced
If it's true the sports festival will likely feel fine.

If they do only the stain arc in like 12 episodes in a second cour- that's gonna have to slow down a lot if they don't do any filler. I think we might get semester finals now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I watched the anime before I read the manga, so I guess I wouldn't know any better, but I didn't feel the first season was too slow or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Reinanigans posted:

I watched the anime before I read the manga, so I guess I wouldn't know any better, but I didn't feel the first season was too slow or anything.

I could definitely tell they were stretching at points but it didn't hurt my enjoyment any. It actually felt relatively normal paced for a shonen anime, because the manga is so breakneck most of the time. As much as I appreciate that, there are some moments where it'd be nice to let things breathe without it smash cutting to the next morning in homeroom with Eraserhead announcing the next arc as soon as a conclusion happens.