Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

precision posted:

It's kind of a slow burn and you should give it at least 2 more episodes honestly.

I just finished episode 2 which was a whole lot better than the first one. They probably should have even just cut 1 and started with the second. It's got some good cringe-comedy going and I will keep watching because I see the potential. But I hope Britta changes out of that god ugly red bathing suit under high waisted mom jeans outfit complimented by socks and sandals. Discount Moshe Kasher is doin good though.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

I just finished episode 2 which was a whole lot better than the first one. They probably should have even just cut 1 and started with the second. It's got some good cringe-comedy going and I will keep watching because I see the potential. But I hope Britta changes out of that god ugly red bathing suit under high waisted mom jeans outfit complimented by socks and sandals. Discount Moshe Kasher is doin good though.

Paul Rust is funnier than Moshe Kasher and Moshe Kasher is much crazier than Paul Rust.

Glad you stuck with it, though. The first few episodes are slow, since they're trying to show Britta barely above hitting rock bottom and hint at Gus being a selfish self-righteous rear end under the guise of an affable nice guy.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I could see how his cheesy nerd antics could rub someone the wrong way, but he grew on me quickly and I thought he was a likable oddball character, and he felt deeper than just the hair metal and ninja weapons. Plus imo Elijah Wood played the part well.

I'm honestly a little surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it here. It just seems like the kind of movie goons would love not to mention it's connections with forum favs Green Room/Blue Ruin.

It's possible Wood's ninja warrior antics hit a little too close to home for some of the viewers here.

On an unrelated note I thought this movie had one of the best twists on Chekhov's Gun I've ever seen.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

veni veni veni posted:

I could see how his cheesy nerd antics could rub someone the wrong way, but he grew on me quickly and I thought he was a likable oddball character, and he felt deeper than just the hair metal and ninja weapons. Plus imo Elijah Wood played the part well.

I'm honestly a little surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it here. It just seems like the kind of movie goons would love not to mention it's connections with forum favs Green Room/Blue Ruin.

Dying to see this when I found the connection, but had to 'parent' and 'work' instead, goddamnit.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Coming back after a weekend of watching Girl with the Gifts.

I loved the book - stupid mad crazy loved it. Its take on the zombie story was inventive, (it's not a virus, it's a fungus! it's the same fungus that drives ants to climb trees and their heads explode to spread the fungus farther).

From what I've heard from several folks, if you read/liked the book, you'd like the movie. I really enjoyed the movie enough. It brought maybe a little bit more to the tale, but had to remove a LOT to do it, and that was the one thing that disappointed me.

One other thing - I think The Talking Dead has killed the thrill of a massive crowd of zombies in any film; having seen plenty of behind-the-scenes footage of contest winners getting made up, sipping coffee, waiting for their shot... so that now when I watch any zombie movie and see generic crowds, I can't help but wonder which ones are contest winners, instead of OH poo poo! ZOMBIES!

Overall, the movie did a great job of keeping the girl's point of view until very late in the story. When I watched the movie with my family, they all had questions that were eventually answered in the movie, and I think they liked it as much as I did.

So - long story short - I'm happy I wasn't disappointed with another lovely book adaptation. If I hadn't read the book? Yeah, I can see how it's just another zombie flick with not enough zombies.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

I'm halfway through the season of Amazon's Patriot and have been enjoying it so far. Lots of interesting characters. It's not a show for everyone since the show revisits a lot of the same events from different angles and you watch this story unfold. For a spy thriller it's more mundane and slow burning. Cool Rick and the guy with the girl's name are pretty great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solidkgb posted:

I'm halfway through the season of Amazon's Patriot and have been enjoying it so far. Lots of interesting characters. It's not a show for everyone since the show revisits a lot of the same events from different angles and you watch this story unfold. For a spy thriller it's more mundane and slow burning. Cool Rick and the guy with the girl's name are pretty great.

Yeah the way it keeps going back to earlier scenes and showing you stuff you missed is honestly stunning, the show is definitely "movie quality" through and through (much like Mr. Robot arguably is).

Leslie (Kurtwood Smith) does indeed loving kill in it, but so does everyone. It really is the most inexplicably great show I've seen in a really long time. That it's a serious spy thriller with stakes on the level of Homeland but also has things like "the main character secretly wants to be a folk singer" and all the awkward office humor stuff... I'm so sad I only have 3 episodes left to watch, if it doesn't get renewed then gently caress everything forever.

I just checked to see what other amazing things the guy who wrote/created it has done and all he's done that I've seen is The Weather Man (which is indeed great and explains a lot) and also that Will Smith movie The Pursuit of Happyness which I seem to recall was terrrrrrible.

precision fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 28, 2017

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Travellers is actually a pretty decent sci fi show on Netflix. I'm enjoying it so far.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Travellers is actually a pretty decent sci fi show on Netflix. I'm enjoying it so far.

S'aight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I thought the first episode was really middle-of-the-road Syfy Channel fare but it gets a lot better from there.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know this is going to come across as an endorsement to some, but do not watch The Similars on Netflix. It is one of the worst films I have ever seen and is not a tenth as clever as it thinks it is.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

weekly font posted:

I know this is going to come across as an endorsement to some, but do not watch The Similars on Netflix. It is one of the worst films I have ever seen and is not a tenth as clever as it thinks it is.

hey man ur gonna bring down the rotten tomatoes score with that attitude

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hat Thoughts posted:

hey man ur gonna bring down the rotten tomatoes score with that attitude

I would Armond White that piece of poo poo all day given the chance

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

precision posted:

(much like Mr. Robot arguably is).

Speaking of that show, how is the second season? I really liked the first season up to 1/2-3/4 of the way through and then I thought it dropped off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of that show, how is the second season? I really liked the first season up to 1/2-3/4 of the way through and then I thought it dropped off.

Second season is a bit polarizing I think. It's extremely slow, though arguably the territory it covers is as interesting as ever and the payoff for the slow plot ends up being worth it. I watched it as it aired and was satisfied, and I think if you were able to watch 2-3 episodes at a time it would improve it noticeably.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

precision posted:

I thought the first episode was really middle-of-the-road Syfy Channel fare but it gets a lot better from there.

The first episode really should've been compressed down to 10 minutes at the beginning of episode two. They devoted way to much time to the stories of all the bodies they stole.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Apparently two seasons of The Great British Baking Show just got added to US Netflix.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

flatluigi posted:

Apparently two seasons of The Great British Baking Show just got added to US Netflix.

This is my favorite show to fall asleep to. Aw yeah.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That show is great when you're hungover, I recommend great British baking show, Advil Benadryl marijuana and Gatorade for hangovers

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A MIRACLE posted:

That show is great

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Britta being mean to australian roommate girl is killing me. She just wants to be happy :(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, it was pretty fun. The one weird thing was how it only got around to addressing fairly central questions only rather late in the season, even though there was no particular reason to leave them a mystery. Stuff like what the deal with the director was, and some specifics about the way their time-travel works.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know how new it is to the service, but it was new to me: the first season of The Expanse is free if you have Amazon Prime and I thought it was a blast. Only real weak point I found is that one of the male leads (the ice miner) is kind of dull and only really comes together as a character once they have some better actors exposit his backstory. But generally a really fun adventure through a sci-fi setting that's pretty novel for how grounded it is, and one that spends way more time with the working poor than you normally get out of sci-fi.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know how new it is to the service, but it was new to me: the first season of The Expanse is free if you have Amazon Prime and I thought it was a blast. Only real weak point I found is that one of the male leads (the ice miner) is kind of dull and only really comes together as a character once they have some better actors exposit his backstory. But generally a really fun adventure through a sci-fi setting that's pretty novel for how grounded it is, and one that spends way more time with the working poor than you normally get out of sci-fi.

The first two episodes of season 1 are weak compared to the rest. They do a lot of world building that shows like GoT have the luxury of spending a whole season on. I'm a big fan of the Expanse. Haven't read the books yet but I'm digging season 2 a lot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Solidkgb posted:

The first two episodes of season 1 are weak compared to the rest. They do a lot of world building that shows like GoT have the luxury of spending a whole season on. I'm a big fan of the Expanse. Haven't read the books yet but I'm digging season 2 a lot.

I liked those episodes because I dug the world they're building, but you definitely have to have some faith that it's going to be put to use in an interesting story, which, yeah, takes a bit to get into gear. Once it does, though, it moves at a really nice pace, and you get a better balance of the ongoing story and exploring the world it takes place in as the character move through it.

I'm waiting on season 2 to finish before digging in, but definitely looking forward to it. Between The Expanse and MBMBaM I've probably watched more TV in the last week than I'd seen in the previous few months.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The books are fun

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So not only did they add season 2 of The Great British Baking Show to Netflix, they also added season 3!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GonSmithe posted:

So not only did they add season 2 of The Great British Baking Show to Netflix, they also added season 3!

I watched some today, and it turns out what Netflix calls season 1 of the show, is actually the 5th season.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just watched a German film Berlin Calling, pretty fun dark crime drama wth a sixth sense thing going on for half of it.

And the Trevor Noah thing is up. It's pretty good, if very family-style humor that kinda reminds me of early bill cosby. His bit about the mandela voice kills

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Patriot is loving hilarious, but unfortunately not quite the show i was looking for. I was hoping for a more serious Le Carre style story, but I'll probably stick with it nonetheless.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ that scene was the one that made my wife and I decide we needed to binge Patriot and with 3 episodes left we've loved every second so far.

The entire cast is good but Kurtwood Smith is just killing it, and John's songs are brilliant

Also the episode in which John puts the guy in the backpack was gold :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Patriot is loving hilarious, but unfortunately not quite the show i was looking for. I was hoping for a more serious Le Carre style story, but I'll probably stick with it nonetheless.

Oh, Patriot gets loving serious.

Dead serious.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

Well, that just made my day. I'm almost done with the second season and was already dreading the wait for the next season.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love how beat down and weary he gets as pretty much everything that can possibly go wrong without the whole operation collapsing does go wrong. That episode with the backpack bodybag was absolutely hilarious. All the characters are loving fantastic. It's definitely like a less serious le carre novel, mostly mundane, and when there's violence it's quick and dirty.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 2, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never seen Jurassic Park. Is it worth watching nowadays because I assume it didn't stand the test of time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Yes, it has aged very well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I've never seen Jurassic Park. Is it worth watching nowadays because I assume it didn't stand the test of time.

What is this poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Jurassic Park is one of the greatest movies of all time. Turn up your speakers and get some popcorn yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Just buy a copy. You won't regret it. A couple of the CG scenes haven't held up (I'm looking at you gallimimus), but it's still classic Spielberg with revolutionary special effects. His mix of CG with practical effects means that at times the movie looks better than the recent Jurassic World.

I was also reading something recently, I can't remember if it was an article or a comment on reddit, in that what was so special about Jurassic Park was that all the heroes were intelligent and used their intelligence to win the day. Comparing that to Jurassic World where the protagonists were a brawny jock, a ditzy corporate executive, a teenage boy obsessed with girls, and his annoying little brother, and their solutions were to just blow poo poo up. Jurassic Park is the better movie.

You can skip Lost World. There are some good things, but watch it with some trepidation. You can skip Jurassic Park III. It basically took story elements from the first two books that didn't make it to screen, and added an incredibly stupid twist.