Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Xthetenth, do you need to officially send a runner when you arrive at Faible, or does it happen automatically?

If you need to give an order, where is your runner going and by what route?

edit: I'm not sure who is supposed to march into Bois de Baguette, but they should post orders soon :v:

edit 2: emergency order, ONCE NIGHT HAS FALLEN, 52nd Brigade is to push into Bois de Baguette, kill all they find, and entrench. Engineers from 99th will follow in support.

Conditional: If Baguette is observed to be empty at night, 52nd will advance and occupy Baguette.

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

97th Brigade

Infantry are to follow the arrows towards Clemenceau. Once there we shall pick up the artillery and guide them to Dejeuner ridge. Upon arrival we will entrench and wait to see what becomes of us.

Conditional Orders

If enemy approaches us in battle march: Hold ground and drive them off
Enemy retreats: Hold ground.
Break Point: N/A

Do we not want to use these guys to garrison Quadropolis?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Orders for the 55th: Keep on keeping on. Try to keep an eye out for sneaky movements in the night.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Bacarrette, <signal interference> with everything you've got. Once it's been taken, you are to <signal interference>. Send THE HERO OF THE REPUBLIC to take Faibleimpot. I leave it at your discretion to decide who is to hold Quatreprouts. The artillery <signal interference> but absolutely not take any risks. The result of this battle depends and you and your men. Do not fail me. <signal interference>

Général de Division Bacarruda

"With night falling in a few hours, these are likely the the final orders you will get."

6th Cavalry Brigade "Heroes of the Republic" -- General xthetenth, you have another set of medals waiting for you at Failblempot. Get there as fast as you can!

2nd Brigade, BEF -- excellent work clearing Dejeunner ridge. As previously ordered -- assault Quatrepots and take it. Make sure your heavy artillery (the 18pdr and the 155mm are in position to fire on the town before your infantry get into range of the enemy.

Once the village is secure -- head north to the Crossroads south of Saint Croissant and dig in. Use the 155mm howitzers and the 12 pounder to help shell enemy forces in Quatrepots, then move them up to get a good field of fire on Saint Croissant. Unless ordered to stop, at midnight -- move into Saint Croissant and assist the Reserve Cav's attack there. Once the town is taken dig in and hold it.

97th Brigade -- Advance your infantry to the Dejeunner ridge and form a defensive line on the right flank of the 175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery). If you want, you can bring over some of your artillery from Clemenceau.

99th Brigade -- You have a hole in your line with the front of your 75mm guns exposed. I am concerned the Germans may try a nightitme rush out of Saint Croissant or Baguette forest and overrun our gun line. The rules won't let you reshuffle infantry to plug the gap -- but your Engineers can move to fill that gap. I suggest you put them on the low ground in front of the artillery and dig them in.

175th Brigade (Reserve Artillery) -- Hold position and destroy the enemy to your front, then continue moving to secure the Dejuenner Ridge. Use artillery. MG, and rifle fire to destroy any German troops you encounter. Establish a defensive line on the northern edge of the Dejeunner Ridge and dig in. Make sure your artillery can cover the area just south of Saint Croissant and the Bois De Gooneville.

Reserve Cavalry Brigade -- Charge into Quatrepots and kill or capture every German you find in the village or the immediate area. Once that is done, charge into Saint Croissant, following the roads heading NW. Make a night attack and take and hold the city.

--

Runner Priority
1-Reserve Cavalry Brigade
2-99th
3-6th
4-BEF
5-97th

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 2, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Loel posted:

Lucky 99

Engineers are to move into empty trenches (circled) and begin fortifying them by extending wire and digging deeper.

Other units are to shoot any German seen, and are not to pursue or retreat under any circumstances.

Conditional: If the 52nd have occupied Bois, engineers will advance to begin fortifications there as well. Barb wire is to be moved forward and trenches dug.

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 2, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Command of the Cavalry Reserve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntcr5g

Allons enfants de la Patrie,

Le jour de gloire est arrivé!

Contre nous de la tyrannie,

L'étendard sanglant est levé,

L'étendard sanglant est levé!

Vive la France! En avant! En Avant!

Pierre? Pierre?
Oui?
Qui est le grognard?
Je pense c'est M. le general.
Merde. Nous allons mourir, non?
Oui.

Best of luck, sir.

When If you die, who is taking command of the corps?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current chat discussion:

Ignore fortifying Dejeuner for now, take Q with all available forces

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hephasto posted:

The 2nd Brigade will immediately charge on Quatreprouts, bayonetting or routing any Germans in the town and surrounding environs. During this time, the artillery will remain in position and take what shots they can.

*IF these orders are received on the first turn, the 2nd Brigade companies on top of La Oeuf are to attempt to form the default battle formation as best they can before advancing.

With Quatreprouts taken, the 2nd Brigade will form up in the default battle formation as best it can and advance upon the marked crossroads north of Toiletteschamps and south of Fraisechamps, with a slight easterly detour to rendez-vous with the artillery. When the infantry and artillery are reunited, the artillery will re-limber. Once the artillery is mobile again, the whole brigade will advance on the crossroads. At the crossroads, the 2nd Brigade will take defensive positions, the artillery will unlimber, and the brigade will wait until dawn for further orders.

Standing orders BEFORE Quatreprouts is taken:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Continue towards original objective

When attacking the enemy:
Launch a Bayonet Charge

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:
Do not pursue

Break Off automatically when:
Fight to the last man

Adjustment to standing orders AFTER Quatreprouts is taken:

Use rifle fire

Makre sure your 18pdr and the 155mm guns you've picked up are able to fire into Qautrepots to support your attack.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can I commandeer the British artillery and direct them towards Quatreptrouts?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Général de Division Tebeka

52e is to follow emergency orders

All remaining 6th Division forces are to hold position for the hours of darkness.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 2, 2017

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.

Hephasto posted:

The 2nd Brigade will immediately charge on Quatreprouts, bayonetting or routing any Germans in the town and surrounding environs. During this time, the artillery will remain in position and take what shots they can.

*IF these orders are received on the first turn, the 2nd Brigade companies on top of La Oeuf are to attempt to form the default battle formation as best they can before advancing.

With Quatreprouts taken, the 2nd Brigade will form up in the default battle formation as best it can and advance upon the marked crossroads north of Toiletteschamps and south of Fraisechamps, with a slight easterly detour to rendez-vous with the artillery. When the infantry and artillery are reunited, the artillery will re-limber. Once the artillery is mobile again, the whole brigade will advance on the crossroads. At the crossroads, the 2nd Brigade will take defensive positions, the artillery will unlimber, and the brigade will wait until dawn for further orders.

Standing orders BEFORE Quatreprouts is taken:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Continue towards original objective

Launch a Bayonet Charge

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:
Do not pursue

Break Off automatically when:
Fight to the last man

Adjustment to standing orders AFTER Quatreprouts is taken:

Use rifle fire

Addendum: while the 2nd brigade's infantry companies are assaulting Quatreprouts, the brigade's artillery will re-limber, move west to bring them in range of Quatreprouts, un-limber, and begin firing on any visible German targets.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Just letting everyone know I'm not dead, will post orders for 52e ASAP.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Général de Brigade Téhan II, Réservistes de Artillerie

My men are peasants with rifles thrust into their untrained hands, and we are staring down a greater number of better-trained infantrymen and four of those damnable Boche machine gun teams. Sadly, it is not elan that will win the day for my brigade; it is careful thought and an overwhelming artillery barrage.

Phase One:

Using the previous movement methods (stopping whenever an enemy is within range to open fire on them), the brigade will move into this formation as best they can:

While they are doing so, I will be observing the movements of the Boche brigade opposite us with a great deal of nervousness. The orders from this point will depend entirely upon their movements.

Scenario :black101:: The enemy wheel to face my brigade

The men will continue to enter the formation ordered above and brace to receive a charge, hoping that the cannon will carry the day.

Scenario :downs:: The enemy are seemingly unaware of the mass of unwashed peasantry directly in front of them and continue to march on their earlier course towards Dejeuner Ridge.

The brigade will wheel backwards parallel to the enemy's marching route and engage in a shooting gallery as the Boche march inexplicably by.

Scenario :geno:: The enemy remain where they are, or merely shuffle their formation

The brigade will move in formation so that our frontmost infantry is out of range of enemy machine guns, but the artillery are in range of the enemy troops.

Scenario :byewhore:: The enemy retreat to Bois de Gooneville / St Croissant / elsewhere to their north or east:

The brigade will shrug and move on to phase two.

Whatever the scenario, once the enemy is wiped out or retreat in disarray, we will move on to phase two.

Phase Two:

With the Boche defeated, we will move onto Dejeuner Ridge and do our best to secure it and provide fire support to the region south of St Croissant.

Half of our infantry will form a picket to prevent enemies from sneaking up on us during the night, while the others will be a screening force for our guns. From there we will dig in, and fire on any Boche unwise enough to give us an opportunity to do so, and await further orders.

Conditional 1: :ohdear:
Should, at any point, an enemy brigade be spotted west of Brioche (unless it is the one we have been focusing on that has merely advanced westwards), the infantry will redeploy as best they can to stand between the enemy and our guns (leaving the required 2" to fire, of course) and hope for the best. In this scenario, the Boche have been reinforced, and we have no way to know the number, quality, or makeup of the brigades that did so, so it is impossible to make any detailed plan for it.

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Général de brigade Comrade Koba

Orders for 52nd Brigade

After night has fallen, 52e brigade will advance into Bois de Baguette and entrench.

Standing orders

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder if not leaving any garrison in Quatreprouts is going to lose us the game eventually. Of course, I'm assuming we'll take the town, which might be a bit of a presumption on my part. :munch:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

I wonder if not leaving any garrison in Quatreprouts is going to lose us the game eventually. Of course, I'm assuming we'll take the town, which might be a bit of a presumption on my part. :munch:

Which town? :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Turn 26: 1930
French initiative

The 99th Brigade's engineer appears on-board and gets to work.

The 175th is charged again, and makes quick work of the remaining cavalry.

The BEF re-forms and prepares to march on Quatreprouts.

And the battlefield receives an addition of tone and dignity as General Mon Pere leads his horsemen onto the field.

:siren: Until the end of the battle, you will take severe penalties when attempting to change orders.

There are no living Germans in sight.

Turn 27: 2000
French initiative

The 97th successfully changes orders, and its rallied companies begin making their way back to Clemenceau.

The Hero of Dejeuner trots boldly out into the great unknown.

Atop Dejeuner, the 175th trips over the dead while trying to advance.

Mon Pere cannot move past the guns without fouling them with his formation.

The BEF advances, and is hit by machine guns firing out of Quatreprouts.

It is just out of range to retaliate. Night falls. This is the last battlefield overview you will see until morning.

Turn 28: 2030
German initiative

The 175th tries to find its way to its assigned positions.

xthetenth moves past the northern edge of the 175th's old trench.

Mon Pere moves past the guns and prepares to charge.

The BEF goes in, and takes casualties from a nearby mortar and a howitzer out behind the Bois de Bacon.

The Germans repel the first charge, but not without taking heavy losses of their own as your 155s and MG find the range easily.

Here's that rotten howitzer.

Turn 29: 2100
German initiative

The 6th Cavalry is, er, somewhere north of those trenches.

The 52nd has found its way to the Bois de Baguette, and then ends up describing a large circle.

Things aren't much better for the 175th.

Mon Pere stands up in the saddle, and boldly leads the charge on!

His men send two MGs, an infantry company, and the brigade commander fleeing west, and slaughter the others with ease. Then he rallies.

That dratted 15cm is still up there, though.

:siren: It is now night. The next soft deadline is TOMORROW, Friday 3rd March, at 5pm. The next update will be 8 turns long.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yup. They still have dudes there and nobody was ordered to garrison the town. :munch:

e: On the bright side, I do still have orders to pursue. :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 2, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

The 6th Cavalry is, er, somewhere north of those trenches.

I hope I haven't misplaced my compass. I'm concerned.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

I'm crying tears of joy mon général; what a dashing figure our cavalry makes as it slaughters the boche. I will be writing an article for the staff college about how this action has clearly demonstrated that the Japanese at port Arthur lacked both sufficient Elan and cavalry. I will also be arguing for more lancers and cuirassiers, for it is clear that this machine gun is a false threat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Should be an interesting night.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan posted:

Général de Brigade Téhan II, Réservistes de Artillerie

While they are doing so, I will be observing the movements of the Boche brigade opposite us with a great deal of nervousness. The orders from this point will depend entirely upon their movements.

Trin Tragula posted:

There are no living Germans in sight.

:suicide:

I hope they actually fell back, and weren't just concealed by the encroaching nightfall.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea where the remnants of the 97th are and I doubt they have any idea either.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I love the idea of having no battlefield overviews. Really excellent.

And well done to the BEF and Mon Pere! At least now we've got them possibly bottled up in st croissant - now how do we win?

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
53rd Brigade

It saddens me that all the action and glory are going to the opposite front; it seems the Germans are not stupid enough to attack the trenches -- wait, what if we built one big trench system around the border with Germany? No, not a trench but a wall -- the greatest kind of wall. Only then can we make France great again.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So far so good? :ohdear:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

So far so good? :ohdear:

10:4 in chits exchanged this round, so it's 164:135 in lost chits. This will change depending on what the howitzer does and whether my cavalry pursues the fleeing enemies (as it should :v:)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Shame that single howitzer was sitting there, I might've been able to get it.

Of course I would've then got horribly lost en route almost certainly, so who knows.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mon Pere is going to hit St C with the BEF in about 8 turns, I think? If we're going to give him support, we should send over the 52nd to attack around midnight.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No, the BEF isn't hitting St C, reread their orders. And you really don't want to cause a clusterfuck of nighttime orders jumble. Our guys already can't find their own trousers.

But I can't tell you nothing no more, so do what you want. :cheeky:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At this rate I am worried about wondering straight into Saint Croissant.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I left a gap in my formation for your brigade but you're nowhere to be found.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The nice thing about cavalry wondering blindly around in the middle of the night is, what's the worst thing that could possibly happen to them? Run face first into the enemy? Ha!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

No, the BEF isn't hitting St C, reread their orders. And you really don't want to cause a clusterfuck of nighttime orders jumble. Our guys already can't find their own trousers.

But I can't tell you nothing no more, so do what you want. :cheeky:

You'll need some support, I don't think the reserve cavalry can take St C on their own. Or maybe they can. Either way, though, you may want some help. Infantry to soak bullets while you soak up glory.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

You'll need some support, I don't think the reserve cavalry can take St C on their own. Or maybe they can. Either way, though, you may want some help. Infantry to soak bullets while you soak up glory.

Eh. If you can think of a way to coordinate with a cavalry attack coming at an unknown time in the middle of the night, be my guest.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

Eh. If you can think of a way to coordinate with a cavalry attack coming at an unknown time in the middle of the night, be my guest.

If the scary noises include cliched "schwing" noises, march towards them.

Also, we're totally bringing flares to the next punch up we have.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Well, there's a reason I'm encouraging the 52nd to do it... but we shouldn't let the high probability of a cock-up prevent us from trying to coordinate. Just need to estimate how long it will take you to find your way to St C and have the 52nd try to enter the town at about the same time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

6ᵉ Cavalerie

My orders are to find:

Faibleimpot
A road sign that can help me find Faibleimpot
A compass to reassure me that I'm on the right road to Faibleimpot
A farmer who apparently hasn't noticed a war to point me to Faibleimpot
A copy of whichever play it is (I think Shakespierre or whatever it is) it takes to understand what that British guy was talking about a "band of brothers" for

In that order.

Thanks.

(crunch: continue as indicated, trying to find Faibleimpot and settle down there for the night)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade

Orders are to keep on moving towards Dejeuner ridge. The first man to find the ridge gets his choice of wine on me.

• Locked thread