Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im guessing reviewers cant release a review that doesn't follow AMDs guidelines if they received a kit from AMD right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

for the more casual followers of this sort of stuff, what does "errata" refer to in a CPU?

That'd be UEFI firmware updates or microcode (the actual 'firmware' that makes the CPU do useful stuff, to vastly oversimplify) that either fix bugs in the code or work around unnoticed edge cases and problems with the silicon. Think of the Phenom TLB bug, for example.

edit:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im guessing reviewers cant release a review that doesn't follow AMDs guidelines if they received a kit from AMD right?

Depends on the exact agreement used, but if they don't actually get into breach of contract territory they're still very unlikely to get review samples in the future.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

bugs 'n' stuff...having mainly to do with the new motherboards and chipsets. BIOS etc..also, CPU firmware..

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I see... thank you!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can't 100% blame AMD wanting to finally get a CPU out there in the best possible light considering how many cards are stacked against them. Having to rely on GloFo, the years of Intel wiping the floor with them since they learned how bad Netburst was first, and now when they might have a "good" product, having some random graphs that get a lot of publicity based on some bug that is correctable but not before its image is ruined.

Not saying AMD isn't doing plenty to shoot themselves in the foot along the way, but heres hoping they are just trying to put their best foot forward instead of just hiding the 6th toe from everyone until they get GloFo to stop sucking in 6+months.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Do all tech presentations look like they've been done by the intern's 10 year old kid on the night before?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

me: "There's no way AMD could cherry-pick settings to pad their Cinebench numbers, Cinebench doesn't have any settings!"

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/836967901399744513

The press/preview BIOS has a special profile tuned specifically for Cinebench :doh:

repiv posted:

sounds like reviewers are going to be working late tonight

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/837026790526881797

What's that you say? AMD having a BIOS that helps boost their scores on those leaked synthetic benchmarks that everyone is pre-ordering based on? :chanpop:

What's that you say? AMD calls up reviewers and tells them the "right way" to review their product, with the silent threat that maybe next time you don't get samples before release day? :chanpop:

boy I'm sure glad plucky little Associated Micro Devices Incorporated has all these valiant champions around to defend their e-honor against the malicious and dishonorable business practice of Intel Corporation, we really dodged a bullet this week

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
You ok Paul?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Don't most companies have review guidelines? I thought there was an Intel one posted earlier that talks about using Cinebench and other stuff. Pretty sure not following review guidelines from anyone is backed by the same implicit threat?

Anyway we possibly got like 7*40k processors out of it and a spring sale under even a perceived competitive threat.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

You ok Paul?

yeah

because I didn't fork over half a grand for a box of magic beans :smugdog::pipe:

NewFatMike posted:

Don't most companies have review guidelines? I thought there was an Intel one posted earlier that talks about using Cinebench and other stuff. Pretty sure not following review guidelines from anyone is backed by the same implicit threat?

Anyway we possibly got like 7*40k processors out of it and a spring sale under even a perceived competitive threat.

Yeah I'm being a bit facetious but everyone was all atwitter just a day or two ago about how the Intel rep wanting to call up and do their talking points was literally Chipzilla Trying To Crush AMD In The Cradle. AMD plays all the same games and doesn't need your fanboyism.

My biggest beef with Ryzen is the hardware going on pre-order before anyone is allowed to know what the performance actually is - which is supposed to be the defense against things like, say, "leaked" synthetic benchmarks on press BIOSs that are unrepresentative of real-world performance.

I categorically refuse to fork over money until I know what the hardware can do for real. And again, I'm looking real heavily at something like the 1700 for a mITX workstation build. Although the lack of ECC was a disappointment there too - not to mention no mITX motherboards on launch.

edit: And the extra funny part is that what GN is talking about is probably BIOS patches that get memory clocks up - but who knows?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 2, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think tweaks that the end user can reproduce is better than shipping reviewers 99.9th percentile silicon.

I don't like the pre-order business but looking at basically every industry it's the norm now and the people who want it right away for whatever reason can have it. I'm not sure what the release day market for ryzen is going to be, considering it's decent enough but not game breaking performance, with all the caveats that come with buying something as soon as it's released

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I only fanboy for VIA and Imagination because if my cause isn't hopeless and the perpetual underdog, what's even the point?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's that you say? AMD having a BIOS that helps boost their scores on those leaked synthetic benchmarks that everyone is pre-ordering based on? :chanpop:

What's that you say? AMD calls up reviewers and tells them the "right way" to review their product, with the silent threat that maybe next time you don't get samples before release day? :chanpop:

boy I'm sure glad plucky little Associated Micro Devices Incorporated has all these valiant champions around to defend their e-honor against the malicious and dishonorable business practice of Intel Corporation, we really dodged a bullet this week

Please post this in r/amd, dear god.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I went to r/AMD yesterday and even they were freaking out about the 1080 Ti stuff, rightfully so.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

I went to r/AMD yesterday and even they were freaking out about the 1080 Ti stuff, rightfully so.

"gee I'm putting together my high end gaming rig this week, Ryzen was really late so I've saved a bunch extra, which GPU do you think I should buy? 1080 or Ti?"

AMD dun goofed

e: or I guess you could buy a Vega t-shirt too

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 2, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Can they just fire AMD's marketing and press relations department like 10 years ago, holy poo poo this is an embarrassing fractal of stupidity. Errata wasn't such a big loving deal a decade ago for Core 2 and POWER8 took a giant poo poo for a few weeks upon its unveiling but finally got things working right after a couple months.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AMD CPU division still vastly superior than GPU division, but that's like saying drowning in a kiddie pool is better than being crushed by the pressure of the inky depths while a green bioluminescent monster devours your corpse.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

AMD CPU division still vastly superior than GPU division

Man what the gently caress, this is completely true but if you posted this a year ago you'd be the laughing stock of the forums.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

how poo poo is the availability of high-end am4 motherboards likely to be if you didn't pre-order?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I categorically refuse to fork over money until I know what the hardware can do for real.

I agree with that, and admittedly I'm not able to follow the news as closely as I could a week ago because ~~China innernet~~

Also I preordered Duke Nukem Forever. Got some sour grapes on my end.

I do want AMD to pull through, but I agree with the earlier post that was saying that they would have gotten sales even without individual tweaks for benchmarking programs. Still looking like Haswell E though, isn't it?

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

FaustianQ posted:

I only fanboy for VIA and Imagination because if my cause isn't hopeless and the perpetual underdog, what's even the point?

The point is ethics in computer journalism

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

How the gently caress does a BIOS setting even affect performance in cinebench? Does it optimize the boost speed or something?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reddit user took delivery earlier than expected, ran benchmarks:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x04ll/ryzen_1700x_cpuz_more_tests_coming/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WTF is that VCore? 1.4anything is flipping high lol.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

WTF is that VCore? 1.4anything is flipping high lol.

Apparently CPUZ is not reporting vcore correctly. Also temps fluctuating between 40C and 60C at idle with a Noctua NH-D15 HSF which is odd to say the least.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Apparently CPUZ is not reporting vcore correctly. Also temps fluctuating between 40C and 60C at idle with a Noctua NH-D15 HSF which is odd to say the least.

What about that vCore in the Bios itself?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Someone voided their warranty on their R7 1700. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZbK3tP7EU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

That is der8auer, a known overclocker from Germany. He is going to delid a 1800X next, and see whether on die contact affects performance. I doubt it, it seems like AMD went for a good Indium solder and silicone protected caps on this one, pretty good job.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah the BIOS screenshot reports 1.4V for a 1700X with everything set to default.

If that is true then the review samples with mediocre 4.1 GHz OCs were the best binned CPUs they could possibly find. :gonk:

I find it remarkable that Ryzen does extremely well in most of the synthetic benchmarks but stinks in any unoptimised game - much more so than what the single thread synthetics would have us believe.

That low res CS:GO score is worse than what a commenter posted of his Pentium G4560. :allbuttons:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Well that same G4560 does beat my i5-4570 in single core performance.
It's a kaby lake pentium after all and if CS:GO doesn't use more than 2 cores of the cpu then of course it would likely outperform a ryzen just like it would my i5.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So it looks like Intel chips are still going to be better for gaming for now. Oh well, an i7-7700K it is then for my next build.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

eames posted:

Yeah the BIOS screenshot reports 1.4V for a 1700X with everything set to default.

If that is true then the review samples with mediocre 4.1 GHz OCs were the best binned CPUs they could possibly find. :gonk:
Ryzen has On-die power delivery similar to Haswell. So the vCore in the bios is about .3 volts higher than what the chip actually gets.

spasticColon posted:

So it looks like Intel chips are still going to be better for gaming for now. Oh well, an i7-7700K it is then for my next build.
Ryzen was never going to be better than Intel. But you're going to be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a Ryzen chip and an Intel chip in a game, especially in DX12 or Vulkan games.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Having run trough that reddit thread it looks about the same as I expected, better IPC than a haswell, probably better power consumption, 4 extra cores + ht at a reasonable price.
I'll probably upgrade to it sometime in the future as I frankly do not care about OC at all, I just want massively better multitasking/3d rendering/video encoding

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

RyuHimora posted:

Ryzen was never going to be better than Intel. But you're going to be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a Ryzen chip and an Intel chip in a game, especially in DX12 or Vulkan games.

How many DX12 and Vulkan games are there? The only ones I know of are Rise of the Tomb Raider for DX12 and DOOM for Vulkan.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

spasticColon posted:

lol the reviews still aren't in yet. goons are both pre-ordering ryzen on hype, and declaring it trash and buying intel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryHWLPiejYw

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

spasticColon posted:

That was always expected. AMD has covered a stupendously large amount of ground since their last CPU architecture. But, we knew from the start that the IPC was going to be a little lower than the latest and greatest from Intel. And we also knew that it would not be easy to match the clocks that the latest i5s and i7s hit. Thus, unless games are very heavily threaded (and they are not at this point in time), AMD would still have a disadvantage on this.

Here is how I see this. If you are in the market for a new PC and your main task is gaming (especially in small resolutions like 1080p), then getting an unlocked 1151 i7 seems to be a very good option. It will be some time before most new games "require" more than 4-6 threads to run, and you can always do some OC to get your CPU on par with future products (like the guys with 2600k CPUs have been doing for years now).

If you are into streaming, VR, making you-tube videos etc together with gaming, it does make sense to wait if you can for the AMD 6-cores coming (R5 1600X). It will almost certainly give you a good bang for your buck, and probably help a lot with said tasks too. Skylake-X might also be something to look out for, if you are engaged in those activities and have the money to spare.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 2, 2017

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

spasticColon posted:

How many DX12 and Vulkan games are there? The only ones I know of are Rise of the Tomb Raider for DX12 and DOOM for Vulkan.

Quake 1 has a Vulkan port!

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

spasticColon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

Even without a low-level API, Skylake/Kabylake IPC is probably not significantly better than Ryzen that you could tell with a subjective test, barring ultra-specific cases like 4K on Gsync/FreeSync monitors. It will be slightly harder than trying to spot the difference between a Haswell SKU and a Skylake SKU at the same core count and clock speed. So unless you really need the last few hundred megahertz overclocking a Kabylake i7 to hit a minimum framerate, and barring any show-stopping bugs on launch, Ryzen is shaping up to be on-par with Kabylake for most gaming purposes, and a significantly better in multi-threaded cases. We won't know for at least one more day though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

For gaming, we need to see minimum frame rates really. It doesn't matter how close it is in anything other then that/ frame times.

Hopefully the l2 cache helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

spasticColon posted:

I think we can conclude with some certainty that the i7-7700K is the CPU of choice for those whose sole use of their computer is playing Counterstrike Go at over 250 frames per second. For literally every other use case: wait for reviews.

• Locked thread