Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ace of Aces posted:

What spinoff was this?

The Metroid Prime trilogy, made by Retro Studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ace of Aces posted:

What spinoff was this?

Metroid Prime. Sakamoto doesn't exactly consider it canon.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tunicate posted:

As I said, it's a ton of hassle and can backfire.

Not sure why you seem so angry about it?
less angy and more derisive. Either way, not at you, I was repeating what you were saying with more :words:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cathode Raymond posted:

Holy poo poo, they even left the Tau emblem on there. Shameful.

Even better, this particular Tau tank I found after a 30 second google search (it's the very first result for "Tau Skyray Poser"). They scaled up the model to make it fit whatever other poser poo poo they crammed into the background and hastily traced, but didn't bother to scale up the doors.

That's why you can see through the tank to the wall behind it. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Snow White and the Seven Clever Boys is a classic and I won't have you besmirch it.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
RE: Metroid Prime

Right, I forgot those are black sheep in Japan for some reason. I wasn't fond of Echoes but MP1 was great.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ace of Aces posted:

Right, I forgot those are black sheep in Japan for some reason. I wasn't fond of Echoes but MP1 was great.

I'm not sure if its a black sheep for Japan itself, so much as for the series' creator.
Which given how he decides Samus has to act like a four year old girl upon seeing Ridley for the dozenth time in Other M, and THAT is official canon, probably says a lot about what he seems to think of Samus.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
When I initially was presented with Other M I actually thought it was a prequel, which is why Samus was the rookie and freaking out over Ridley (and also why Adam was around). Discovering that it was not gave me... feelings.

:suicide:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kw0134 posted:

Not just copyright, but trademark (hey look, Pokemon is in fact a registered trademark with every IP agency on Earth) has to be vigorously enforced or you lose it. It's one thing to be a Pokemon ripoff, it's another to actually say you're ripping off Pokemon and slap the name on the finished product. No IP attorney will dare advocate letting that alone if you have the resources to do so. Even if you do not pursue the claim to the ends of the Earth, issuing the C&D satisfies the legal requirement that you defend your trademarks.

This is not true under US law. You only lose trademark rights if the trademark no longer identifies a source of the goods / services and becomes a generic term for them (aspirin is the classic example).

There is case law (although I can't find it 2 minutes) noting that there is no duty to enforce against any particular infringer.

I acknowledge that failure to enforce against a particular infringer may result in a later inability to enforce against *that infringer* due to the equitable principle of laches (both for copyright and trademark), but the company really does have no obligation to enforce.

Sending a C&D is cheap though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace of Aces posted:

Metroid Prime isn't a black sheep in Japan so much as Metroid isn't really a big franchise in Japan.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ace of Aces posted:

None of the Metroid games sold particularly well in Japan. Super Metroid did 508K in the region and the series sales have been in a free fall since then. In general, action-platformers like Metroid/Castlevania/Megaman aren't usually commercial hits in the current Japanese market.

Splatoon is more commercially successful than the best selling Metroid, F-Zero, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, or Fire Emblem game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Metroid Prime. Sakamoto doesn't exactly consider it canon.

Pretty ironic that the creator of Metroid doesn't like the best Metroid games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought that Gunpei Yokoi created Metroid, and Sakamoto is just the director of the series since Yokoi died.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

I thought that Gunpei Yokoi created Metroid, and Sakamoto is just the director of the series since Yokoi died.

Gunpei Yokoi was the producer. It was probably more of a team effort than Sakamoto lets on, but he was a lead member of the creative team from the start.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mister "Samus has a mole somewhere on her body and only I know where it is" Sakamoto.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Schubalts posted:

Mister "Samus has a mole somewhere on her body and only I know where it is" Sakamoto.

To be fair on that point, in the original context, it seems it was just a joke line out of the Japanese strategy guide for Super Metroid, and not even the most objectionable of the various entries for "Secret of Samus that only I know". Here's some transcripts I was able to dig up, the lines about Samus, including the beauty mark thing, are in a sidebar on the right. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think first-person shooters were particularly well-regarded in Japan until recently, generally speaking, which may have contributed to Sakamoto's distaste for the Prime series. It's a shame, I liked Metroid Prime more than the main series.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Prime 1 totally nailed "what if you played Metroid from a first-person perspective." Environments, pacing, exploration, the whole bit, it's great. Prime 2 iterated on the concepts introduced in Prime 1, substantially refining the gameplay and generally improving quality of life, but IMO suffered in the environment department -- Light Aether is mostly brown and Dark Aether is mostly purple and they both end up being kind of repetitive. Prime 3 improved on the environments over Prime 2 (its Wrecked Ship analog was amazing), but gameplay-wise was structurally flawed, what with the constant checking in with GalFed, the fact that you were never more than five rooms from your ship, the more rigid (and frankly, predictable) plotting with multiple active characters, and the whole overdrive system.

I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 but I know plenty of people who like 2 more and I'm hard-pressed to say they're wrong.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Prime 1 totally nailed "what if you played Metroid from a first-person perspective." Environments, pacing, exploration, the whole bit, it's great. Prime 2 iterated on the concepts introduced in Prime 1, substantially refining the gameplay and generally improving quality of life, but IMO suffered in the environment department -- Light Aether is mostly brown and Dark Aether is mostly purple and they both end up being kind of repetitive. Prime 3 improved on the environments over Prime 2 (its Wrecked Ship analog was amazing), but gameplay-wise was structurally flawed, what with the constant checking in with GalFed, the fact that you were never more than five rooms from your ship, the more rigid (and frankly, predictable) plotting with multiple active characters, and the whole overdrive system.

I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 but I know plenty of people who like 2 more and I'm hard-pressed to say they're wrong.

Honestly, I didn't like having to manage ammo for my beam weapons in the sequels, it made me reticent to use anything other than the normal beam for anything that didn't expressly require one of the other beams. I think Prime 1 had the best overall design philosophy, and had the best balance between classic Metroid game mechanics and the FPS mechanics. I'd personally order it 1>3>2, I found a lot of the mechanics introduced in Echoes to be really annoying (like the constant damage in the dark world).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

To be fair on that point, in the original context, it seems it was just a joke line out of the Japanese strategy guide for Super Metroid, and not even the most objectionable of the various entries for "Secret of Samus that only I know". Here's some transcripts I was able to dig up, the lines about Samus, including the beauty mark thing, are in a sidebar on the right. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think first-person shooters were particularly well-regarded in Japan until recently, generally speaking, which may have contributed to Sakamoto's distaste for the Prime series. It's a shame, I liked Metroid Prime more than the main series.

the one where the guy says samus is shemale is way worse of a joke imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So uh.. hey wasn't Baro going to make another pokemon romhack?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Leal posted:

plot twist: that second romhack was uranium

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Leal posted:

I think Zorak mentions it at the end of the Quartz LP as being called Pokemon Marble. It supposedly looked pretty okay at the time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after briefly looking it up i can tell it's a baro venture since the starters look like they were made out of playdoh

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Honestly, I didn't like having to manage ammo for my beam weapons in the sequels, it made me reticent to use anything other than the normal beam for anything that didn't expressly require one of the other beams. I think Prime 1 had the best overall design philosophy, and had the best balance between classic Metroid game mechanics and the FPS mechanics. I'd personally order it 1>3>2, I found a lot of the mechanics introduced in Echoes to be really annoying (like the constant damage in the dark world).

That was my initial reaction as well. The game works a lot better when you realize that if you kill an enemy using an ammo-using weapon they'll probably drop the opposing ammo type, and you can fire your ammo-using weapons even without ammo (it's just a lot slower). You should only be coming close to running out of ammo during the boss fights, otherwise it's pretty plentiful. That doesn't mean that I think making the beam upgrades use ammo was a good idea, mind you. I think they designed themselves into a corner for some reason and then tried to patch their way out of it.

I tried to replay 3 once. I spent something like an hour just getting to the part where Samus finally gets to go be by herself for awhile, and I turned the console off. Wandering around GalFed ships and talking to people is not what a Metroid game should be! :argh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I think Zorak mentions it at the end of the Quartz LP as being called Pokemon Marble. It supposedly looked pretty okay at the time.

went looking for info on this and found the best rom hack i've ever seen

http://pokemonromhack.com/pokemon-the-wooper-who-saved-christmas.html

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

the one where the guy says samus is shemale is way worse of a joke imo
the worse part of that was (mostly non-trans) people trying to take that and turn it into some sort of pro-trans power thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Endorph posted:

the worse part of that was (mostly non-trans) people trying to take that and turn it into some sort of pro-trans power thing

and then the trans people who were desperate for any scraps they could get decided to roll with it, but were faced with a million nerd dudes climbing over each other to yell about how awful a thing it would be for samus to actually be that. mostly just ended up with trans people in the cold no matter how they felt about the whole thing, as usual

nintendo hasn't been very kind to the metroid series, all told. i have my doubts they'll announce anything for the switch and even if they did i'm terrified it'll be some more trash like other m because they seem to have distaste for the prime series and any '2d' game they try to make will probably have crappy gimmick stuff thrown in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

and then the trans people who were desperate for any scraps they could get decided to roll with it, but were faced with a million nerd dudes climbing over each other to yell about how awful a thing it would be for samus to actually be that. mostly just ended up with trans people in the cold no matter how they felt about the whole thing, as usual

nintendo hasn't been very kind to the metroid series, all told. i have my doubts they'll announce anything for the switch and even if they did i'm terrified it'll be some more trash like other m because they seem to have distaste for the prime series and any '2d' game they try to make will probably have crappy gimmick stuff thrown in.

Nintendo doesn't hate Metroid or anything. It is that Metroid isn't a big seller. Even Prime, which sold well, wasn't that big. Donkey Kong Country Returns, which retro moved onto after Prime, sold more on its own than all the Prime games put together. Metroid is an influential series but that isn't the same as it being a big selling series by Nintendo standards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

i feel like the sentence right before it being "she isn't a woman" kinda immediately puts that out as an option but i guess i'm not entirely surprised

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo doesn't hate Metroid or anything. It is that Metroid isn't a big seller. Even Prime, which sold well, wasn't that big. Donkey Kong Country Returns, which retro moved onto after Prime, sold more on its own than all the Prime games put together. Metroid is an influential series but that isn't the same as it being a big selling series by Nintendo standards.

For this same reason, if Awakening hadn't completely blown up the way it had, it was planned to be the final Fire Emblem game for the foreseeable future. Fire Emblem may have been largely responsible for the creation and codification of SRPGs as we know them today (along with, of all things, Banpresto's Super Robot Wars series, which came out around the same time), but the sales figures have never been great. This kinda goes for a lot of really good franchises, they're fantastic and influential, but they just don't sell. If they were making the sort of money they were back when the Wii launched, Nintendo could probably afford to make more niche appeal games with lukewarm sales, using the profits from the major releases to cover any losses, much like film studios do when they decide to greenlight passion projects and the like. However, support for the Wii U dried up very quickly, which has definitely affected which games they've prioritized.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

EclecticTastes posted:

For this same reason, if Awakening hadn't completely blown up the way it had, it was planned to be the final Fire Emblem game for the foreseeable future. Fire Emblem may have been largely responsible for the creation and codification of SRPGs as we know them today (along with, of all things, Banpresto's Super Robot Wars series, which came out around the same time), but the sales figures have never been great. This kinda goes for a lot of really good franchises, they're fantastic and influential, but they just don't sell. If they were making the sort of money they were back when the Wii launched, Nintendo could probably afford to make more niche appeal games with lukewarm sales, using the profits from the major releases to cover any losses, much like film studios do when they decide to greenlight passion projects and the like. However, support for the Wii U dried up very quickly, which has definitely affected which games they've prioritized.
Alas, poor Advance Wars.

(with any luck, Wargroove might do well enough to make Nintendo sit up and take notice. Cheers to Yapping Eevee for pointing out that there's now a name and site for Chucklefish's new TBS)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's fine, nintendo is letting an indie studio make advance wars now

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Um.

Burole town is boring as poo poo and it's full of water that has no fishing encounters! The game still says "not even a nibble!" though, so it's hard to tell if you're having bad luck or if there's just nothing there to even catch!

A few Burole residents say that Moki Town sucks. Most don't. That's as close to a character as this town gets.

Uh, thanks for telling me about this evolution, and not any of the 6 trade evolutions, lady!

Oh my, Blants has a perfect special attack IV and a nature that ups it even more.

Maybe this little ant has potential.

Potantial.

This is the totality of the Burole gym leader's personality.

There's exactly one cave, and it's the gym.

Such a weird town.

Oh boy, kitsch nick-knacks!

Wait it's drugs. Well then.

These items are powerful restoratives, but they reduce the happiness of Pokemon that consume them. Be mindful of who is relying on Return for damage, or needs happiness for something else. Otherwise you can tank it at your leisure.

There's a school in Burole, but instead of giving gameplay tips it provides meaningless chatter.

The second floor has four trainers to fight.

Bob Dennis has her first STAB move, and it's acceptable.

Oh yeah, her opponent is a li'l lizard pokin' out of the ground named Grozard.

You'd think a child with an inner tube would use water Pokemon. In most cases you'd be right, except for this one, right here.

He's got starters for some reason.

While it doesn't go as high as Low Kick, Karate Chop's consistent power and 1/8 critical hit ratio are appreciated.

Took until level 13 for Zapmander to get its other STAB. Sheesh.

Hey, it's Chyinmunk's evolved form! Kinetmunk is Normal/Electric, but it's still pretty garbage.

...Uh

what is this thing?

Is it a snake with a grabby hand on its butt?

Well it's mono-dragon and it has a good attack stat and poo poo all else.

These trainers are enough for Lotadio to hit level 14 and evolve.

And rubbing the Water Stone on him puts him in his final form, Ludicolo. He's not going to get any moves from leveling but Giga Drain will carry his butt for a long, long time.

Davern's theme is "caves". This extends to his Pokemon selection. He's not a rock-type or ground-type expert, he uses Pokemon found in caves. His theme is caves.

His gym's puzzle - using that term liberally - is smashing rocks until one of them randomly provides the key item.

There we go.

His junior trainers use three of the same Pokemon. They're ones found in caves.

It's a really simple gym. Here's Davern.

He recounts his entire backstory, which is the same as what that old guy said. Davern likes caves.

Is that a wispy mustache or does he have a lot of nostrils?

OFSelects: KMFDM - Disobedience
No particular reason I used this here, I just like this song and was short on ideas.

His Grozard opens with Bulldoze. The assured speed drop is annoying, but Lotadio one-shots it with Giga Drain.

Some sort of Dark/Ground mole with a drill for a face. It also can't take Giga Drains very well.

Barewl's evolution is

uh

at least it looks like something, some sort of horsedeer?

It's still steel/rock so it isn't weak to Giga Drain. Lotadio still drains it out.

Tofurang is Tonemy's evolution. Now it's some sort of mohawk hippo. It's lost Levitate but got Intimidate.

This would be a real mean move if I didn't have a steel-type thing. Bad poison is a lot like regular but it starts at 1/16th damage and doubles each turn.

It's not totally helpless as it has a ghost move. Uranium uses the 6th generation type chart so it hits for neutral damage.

Both of our moves get their side-effects. One of these is significantly more useful for winning a damage race.

That's two of eight!!

And at level 15, Bob Dennis becomes a horsedeer herself!

Well, uh, this is a really good move. Fighting is an incredibly useful type so even if I will never hit the bonus of clearing out damage-halving screens, a 75-power move that most things can learn is still a huge boon.

Davern has nothing interesting to say.

That's all Burole has, but I'd rather not end the update here.

Pokemon Uranium OST: Route 4

To the east of Burole is Route 4, which of course comes with new wild Pokemon!

Ekans has no new or interesting traits... for now.

The people who give me nicknames like memeing me.

Uranium's own Pika-clone! Except theirs is ground/electric.

Its ability puts its first move in the +1 priority bracket. There are some tricks I could've done with that if I didn't have better tricks.

The lakes don't have any fishing encounters, but the oceans do. An annoyingly rare one is:

A fish with an exposed brain!

Blants hit level 16 somewhere in there and learned this move.

It's an upgrade to Ember, even if I'll never use the side-effect for anything. But more importantly, it's a condition for Smore's evolution!

Now Blants is properly a fire-type. Bug/Fire. Bire.

Besides two random encounters on route 1, Lungs?! was leveled from 10 to 16 entirely on the rich boy in the Kevlar Pokemon Center. It took 27 battles, as evidenced by Lungs?! hefty chunk of defense EVs. This earned me 8,640 neo-shekels. This is the only way besides wild Pokemon to get something caught up, as Uranium's level curve is not kind to me.

It was not fun.

There's more to route 4, to be sure, but... we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh my, Blants has a perfect special attack IV and a nature that ups it even more.

Oh, did they actually change that?

In the actual games, since HG/SS, the stat that a nature increased was highlighted in red and the stat that it decreased was blue.

Originally, in Uranium, it was the other way around. And I think there were reports that it wasn't a bug.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 2, 2017

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

the brain fish is hideous and awful

and I still want to know what the gently caress a barewl is. even knowing what it evolves into doesn't answer a drat thing

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Color Printer posted:

Oh, did they actually change that?

Blants is assuredly Mild and not Impish, so yes they did.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I assume that horrifying fish is water/psychic?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
brain fish looks like trash

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

XavierGenisi posted:

the brain fish is hideous and awful

and I still want to know what the gently caress a barewl is. even knowing what it evolves into doesn't answer a drat thing

Its clearly a face that turns into a horse deer much like _________.

Honestly the dragon with the weird hand tail is the design getting to me now. The hell is up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't think it looks that bad, though the face is terrible.

• Locked thread