Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Peachfart posted:

lol if you buy phones from anyone who doesn't make the software

This is why I only buy Samsung Tizen phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The quick gestures on my Pixel hardly ever work in specifically tapping the screen or lifting it up to see any notifications. Why is this happening?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The quick gestures on my Pixel hardly ever work in specifically tapping the screen or lifting it up to see any notifications. Why is this happening?

Same with regards to the tapping.

Also, the buttons on the pixel are way too clicky.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone not acknowledge this?

Both are over a year old and have run into their quirks. (5X - Bootloop / 6P - Battery).

The kicker will be what will the Pixel do in 1 year of it's existence? You did have that audio issue early on, and a few other weird quirks that seem to be on the level of all early days of a new device quirk that are fixable with Software soo time will tell.

With the Google phones though that get updates through Google directly and you get to Opt Into using Beta software or not.

With OnePlus, you get to use Beta software at all times because well, you don't need more than 12hrs of test time anyway to verify that it's all good.

One thing to keep an eye on will be the new Nokia phones. If they are as Pure Android as they say they are, and can get updates out nearly as good as a Pixel/Nexus, they might be a new contender worth dethroning the Motorola budget/quick update crown. Do want to see what the Nokia 8 will end up being.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't think they work in battery saving mode, and I've only ever had these work if I put the phone flat down on its back.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Duggler posted:

I don't think they work in battery saving mode, and I've only ever had these work if I put the phone flat down on its back.

Battery saving mode isn't on and it's been flat on its back. I've been Scroogled.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They're terrible honestly, nowhere near peak awesome Moto X levels. If the fingerprint sensor was slower, I'd be more annoyed, but yeah I just don't use any of those gestures and pretend they don't exist. If they don't work like >99% of the time, they're not worth trying to use.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, the gestures might be alright if I'd never heard of, much less USED, Moto's implementation of them and didn't know how much better it could be. But, that's probably the only thing about my Pixel that I'm not in love with.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well my primary mic on my Pixel died a few days ago. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem. It's still a great phone though. Hopefully won't be a pain on the rear end to swap out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bandire posted:

Well my primary mic on my Pixel died a few days ago. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem. It's still a great phone though. Hopefully won't be a pain on the rear end to swap out.

Googled again.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Bandire posted:

The replacement process is pretty easy if you bought it from Google.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

EdEddnEddy posted:

The kicker will be what will the Pixel do in 1 year of it's existence? You did have that audio issue early on, and a few other weird quirks that seem to be on the level of all early days of a new device quirk that are fixable with Software soo time will tell.

Loving its new habit of having to re-enable bluetooth every day for the drive home. Can't imagine what is disabling it because I have NOTHING INSTALLED. Started the day I did a round of updates.

Just give me a new moto x every year with faster processors and I'd be sooo happy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Was feb 28 supposed to be 'new phone news day', or was that march 28? There didn't seem to be much news yesterday.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

every phone is garbage

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Every phone is garbage until somebody insults the phone that I use. Then my phone is the only good phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Everyone needs to just get a Doogee DG550 and shut the gently caress up.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Everyone needs to just get a Doogee DG550 and shut the gently caress up.

A what?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My OP3 works fine so far. It's a good phone (for the price) made by a bad (terrible) company with slow updates and awful customer support. You take a big risk with buying one. Maybe I'll regtet it later!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

KS posted:

Just give me a new moto x every year with faster processors and I'd be sooo happy.

Yeah, the original Moto X was close to perfection for me (with slightly better camera and battery life). I wish Motogoogle made the Moto line into something akin to the iPhone line: Moto g for budget, 2 screen sizes for Moto X, with yearly updated specs and maybe some new stuff thrown in (fingerprint reader, waterproofing...). Ah well, let's see how HMD Global Nokia turns out!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 2, 2017

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah, the original Moto X was close to perfection for me (with slightly better camera and battery life). I wish Motogoogle made the Moto line into something akin to the iPhone line: Moto g for budget, 2 screen sizes for Moto X, with yearly updated specs and maybe some new stuff thrown in (fingerprint reader, waterproofing...). Ah well, let's see how HMD Global Nokia turns out!

Google hosed up getting rid of Motorola, it would have been 100% smarter to keep a reputable OEM than contract your phone to an external OEM. Motorola is still doing better than I thought being under Lenovo, but imagine how much better they'd be as a Google company...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Protocol7 posted:

Google hosed up getting rid of Motorola, it would have been 100% smarter to keep a reputable OEM than contract your phone to an external OEM. Motorola is still doing better than I thought being under Lenovo, but imagine how much better they'd be as a Google company...

In the pre-note7 blow up world, Android was Samsung, and Sammy wasn't too keen on Google owning their own competing OEM. It had to be done, otherwise Google was risking the biggest Android phone seller going to Tizen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Like Jerk says, Motorola was always only about leverage and Google (rightly) had no interest in anything they had to offer. While the patent leverage didn't work out for them, I'd argue that the hardware side of things actually did. Samsung was really close to doing something stupid and while they may have Note7'd that on their own, Google's actions with Motorola certainly prevented catastrophe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to see the universe where Samsung went the Tizen route.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

in this universe everyone just buys iphones

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

datajosh posted:

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.

Honestly, location based Smart Lock works so infrequently for me that I basically don't use it. I even have it set to trigger off multiple coordinates around my home to account for GPS wonkiness and it's still unreliable. Ditto for the gym, which is extra annoying because I have my phone in an armband so I can't reach the fingerprint sensor on the back.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

this kills the company

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

And HTC, LG, and everyone else would have benefited.

Seriously outside of GearVR I could care less if Samsung disappeared from the Phone market completely.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

datajosh posted:

I've been having the same problem (MXP), it was a bit spotty but it never kept the phone unlocked no matter where I was. What "fixes" it for me is turning location services off and on again from the notification shade. It stops smart lock from keeping it unlocked when I'm not home, but it also seems to break it entirely until I reboot and it won't work/unlock when I get home again. If I'm home and it's broken from doing that and I reboot it immediately starts working again though, so I don't know what the issue is.

I'll try turning that option off, hopefully it works for me too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anyone else with a Pixel have excessive screen scratching? Is there a way to verify my phone actually has gorilla Glass? I've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S, never ever had a single scratch, seems like I'm getting a new scratch every week, the top half of my screen looks like a teenage girl's galaxy S3 that lives in her purse with her keys and 700 sharp keychains, deep scratches, not the coating.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine has been naked since launch day and is still flawless.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Hadlock posted:

Anyone else with a Pixel have excessive screen scratching? Is there a way to verify my phone actually has gorilla Glass? I've had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S, never ever had a single scratch, seems like I'm getting a new scratch every week, the top half of my screen looks like a teenage girl's galaxy S3 that lives in her purse with her keys and 700 sharp keychains, deep scratches, not the coating.

Your glass could be defective, open a support chat with Google and see what's up?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Hadlock posted:

I'm probably mistaken, but I sort of remember someone in this thread saying the latest Gorilla Glass traded some scratch resistance in favor of more shatter resistance, that could account for your experience.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Hadlock posted:

I don't have a single scratch on my Pixel XL. I haven't ever used a screen protector. I do use a thin case, and I generally avoid things like throwing it in my pocket with keys, etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hadlock posted:

Don't most phones have oleophobic coating and that's usually what scratches and not the glass itself? Might be worth investigating, at the least.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A few weeks ago someone asked me about the image quality of the Huawei Mate 9 camera in low light. Now, Huawei's camera software is loaded with options and there are several avenues to go down when shooting. I will try to compare them:

First there is straight up full auto mode. At night this usually results in a pretty high iso sensitivity and quick shutter speed. The aggressive noise reduction can lead to smudged details; I would much prefer a more "grainy" output.
Handheld ISO 1250 by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr

There is a professional mode that gives you control of ISO, shutter length (1/4000 to 30 seconds), white balance and focus. I tried to replicate the same shot, but I manually set the ISO to 640 and the shutter speed to 1/3 of a second which I believe is right about the limit you can set the shutter with the phones optical image stabilization and a steady hand. If you're a surgeon, you might be able to get a longer exposure time.
Pro mode. 1/3. ISO 640 by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr

Lastly there is a Night Shot mode that cannot be used handheld. You can manually set the ISO or shutter speed, or leave them on auto. It drops the ISO way down to 50 or 100 and I believe takes several images of varying exposures and combines them into one. It also magically turns Cadillacs into Fords.
Fusion by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr

This mode can create some interesting images. The next few were taken in pretty dark conditions, well after sunset. For the first two I had to position the phone against windows and this may have negatively affected the focus or sharpness. The last pic was used with one of those mini phone tripods.
NW Detroit #2 by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr
30min after sunset by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr
Rainy Night by Mental Hospitality, on Flickr

TL;DR - Not a bad camera in lowlight, although I don't believe they can surpass the latest Google phones and their amazing HDR+. I do enjoy using the manual controls though, with some effort someone could get really great images with it. More Images

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'll open up a support ticket with Google

Protocol7 posted:

Don't most phones have oleophobic coating and that's usually what scratches and not the glass itself? Might be worth investigating, at the least.

Literally the last sentence of my post

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't keep your phone in the same pocket as your pocket sand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Mine has been naked since launch day and is still flawless.

Exactly my experience. It's weird how flawless it remains, I'm not exactly careful with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Same. I'm glad it holds up, but I never planned on babying it. I buy thing to use, not to preserve as a museum piece.